CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Recommend a TV programme (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=187551)

Jerry Murphy's Fringe 08-10-2017 09:51 PM

Snowfall : promising start.

danpalace07 10-10-2017 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Murphy's Fringe (Post 13885731)
Snowfall : promising start.

Watched the whole series on Kodi. Lots of potential.

Dingle 10-10-2017 10:50 AM

Mindhunter released on Netflix on Friday. Not been this excited for a tv show in a long time

Terrace Bickle 10-10-2017 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 13881754)
It works so well because of the interviews carried out with all sides. The interviews with former NVA regulars, Viet Cong and civilians are fascinating.

Last night's second episode on The Tet Offensive was a masterpiece.

Ruskin Old Boy 10-10-2017 08:12 PM

Another vote for The Vietnam War.

Even handed and the interviews are excellent.

Nostrils 10-10-2017 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 13838396)
Trapped.
Icelandic cop drama on Netflix.
10 episode season. Subtitled.
Arson, mafia, murder, serious snow storm, refugee trafficking, avalanche, and more.
Really rather good.

This is an understatement. I have a habit of raving about things that I've recently watched and enjoyed, but this one deserves it. Thanks for the recommendation.

StanRd2005 10-10-2017 08:39 PM

Upstart Crow

Terrace Bickle 10-10-2017 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostrils (Post 13888290)
This is an understatement. I have a habit of raving about things that I've recently watched and enjoyed, but this one deserves it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Trapped was on BBC4 last year, it's excellent. I loved the male lead.

Nostrils 10-10-2017 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrace Bickle (Post 13888315)
Trapped was on BBC4 last year, it's excellent. I loved the male lead.

He was brilliant, as was his sidekick. In fact, the acting was superb throughout the cast. I've enjoyed a number of Nordic/Scandinavian dramas in the past so think I might upgrade amazon prime to get the 'Nordic Noir and beyond' package. Knowing me I'll forget I signed up for a year though :hmph:.

Stavros 69 10-10-2017 08:57 PM

Bosch. The only good thing on Amazon

SE5eagle 10-10-2017 09:03 PM

Have now watched all of the episodes of The Vietnam War so far on iplayer after recommendations on this thread.

Incredible series.

OldPeanutSeller 10-10-2017 09:47 PM

The BBC's long running serial "The Weather"

cappuccinoeagle 10-10-2017 09:48 PM

Snowfall seems something to stick with,the first three Electric Dreams pretty good,the fourth not so much.

Terrace Bickle 11-10-2017 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostrils (Post 13888320)
He was brilliant, as was his sidekick. In fact, the acting was superb throughout the cast. I've enjoyed a number of Nordic/Scandinavian dramas in the past so think I might upgrade amazon prime to get the 'Nordic Noir and beyond' package. Knowing me I'll forget I signed up for a year though :hmph:.

Me too, The Bridge and Wallander were excellent.

pallet 11-10-2017 10:02 AM

Watched the first snowfall really liked it.

Terrace Bickle 11-10-2017 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cappuccinoeagle (Post 13888363)
Snowfall seems something to stick with.

It was very good, and reminded me what a **** fest the US of A is.

Stellavista 11-10-2017 10:40 AM

Ian Hislop on the railways was very good. Not American though, so I doubt any of you f*ckers will have watched it. :)

Richard 11-10-2017 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 13888750)
Ian Hislop on the railways was very good. Not American though, so I doubt any of you f*ckers will have watched it. :)

I love the way he conveys a deep affection for the railways without slipping into any trainspotter tendencies.

Tony Montana 11-10-2017 10:51 AM

Probably been mentioned at some point throughout this thread, but "It's always sunny in Philadelphia" (from series 1) will definitely while away lonely nights...

Stellavista 11-10-2017 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 13888752)
I love the way he conveys a deep affection for the railways without slipping into any trainspotter tendencies.

Yes. He's developed into quite a decent presenter. Not in the Andrew Graham-Dixon or Jonathan Meades league, but alright.

FrankieBoy 11-10-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldPeanutSeller (Post 13888361)
The BBC's long running serial "The Weather"


AKA the Lottery.

SE5eagle 12-10-2017 03:45 PM

Detectives: Murder On The Streets is excellent if you like that kind of thing.

Icy 12-10-2017 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 13888326)
Bosch. The only good thing on Amazon

It's watchable, Vikings is much better though.

Loafster 12-10-2017 04:38 PM

just watched Camping on Sky comedy box sets awesome!

PeterH 12-10-2017 04:44 PM

The Sweeney. A mate lent me the 2nd series, and I watched the first two episodes last night. Stands up very well for 1975.

Jerry Murphy's Fringe 13-10-2017 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 13890181)
The Sweeney. A mate lent me the 2nd series, and I watched the first two episodes last night. Stands up very well for 1975.

Meh, it's not The Professionals though is it.

Write the theme tune, sing the theme tune.....

PeterH 13-10-2017 05:24 PM

It is better than the professionals. That was the UK version of pretty boy Starsky and Hutch.

danpalace07 14-10-2017 11:21 AM

Been going through Westworld this week. Wish I got on it as it was on TV, it's brilliant. Really stepping up in the 2nd half of the season

Urine Mattress 14-10-2017 11:26 AM

Belatedly haring through every episode of Toast of London. Strangely addictive, and causes me to regularly laugh out loud (for reasons I'm unsure of)

Jerry Murphy's Fringe 14-10-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urine Mattress (Post 13892078)
Belatedly haring through every episode of Toast of London. Strangely addictive, and causes me to regularly laugh out loud (for reasons I'm unsure of)


Funniest thing on TV, for me & as you say, for reasons that are difficult to describe. That and the Brian Pern series just don't seem to get the credit they deserve.

Matt Berry, modern day genius.

Johnnieboy 14-10-2017 12:49 PM

A great introduction to beak keeping

pots1970 15-10-2017 07:38 PM

Mindhunters on netflix, some of the portrayals of the serial killers are so believable you think its a documentary, the actor who plays big Ed, made me feel so uncomfortable the acting was that good, every episode gets better.

Coastal Palace 15-10-2017 09:35 PM

Viet Nam on BBC4 is proving to be worth the licence fee.

Coastal Palace 15-10-2017 09:36 PM

Oh and Rick and Morty.

Dingle 16-10-2017 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pots1970 (Post 13895373)
Mindhunters on netflix, some of the portrayals of the serial killers are so believable you think its a documentary, the actor who plays big Ed, made me feel so uncomfortable the acting was that good, every episode gets better.

Been excited for this series since it was announced and boy did it not disappoint. Amazing stuff.

dim 16-10-2017 07:12 PM

MINDER

MINDER

MINDER

jimmy the gent 16-10-2017 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Murphy's Fringe (Post 13891387)
Meh, it's not The Professionals though is it.

Write the theme tune, sing the theme tune.....

If Dennis Waterman sang The Sweeney theme tune, he really is multi talented. Top scatting.

pallet 16-10-2017 07:45 PM

Peaky blinders is coming back

Coastal Palace 16-10-2017 07:46 PM

I would've mentioned Curb Your Enthusiasm but I assumed that was a given.

Coastal Palace 16-10-2017 08:01 PM

As much as I love Rick and Morty I love Larry David more.
Given the tragic death of Sean Hughes, any episode of this will lift your spirits.

Fedora69 16-10-2017 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal Palace (Post 13896772)
As much as I love Rick and Morty I love Larry David more.
Given the tragic death of Sean Hughes, any episode of this will lift your spirits.

Nothing funnier at the moment. Can't wait til tonight's episode.

Coastal Palace 16-10-2017 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedora69 (Post 13896784)
Nothing funnier at the moment. Can't wait til tonight's episode.

It truly is brilliant, isnt it?
I've loved it right from the start. And I was never a fan of Seinfeld.

My ringtone is Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Coastal Palace 16-10-2017 08:20 PM

F*ck Hugh.... .
I do declare that Larry David is my hero.

Smoz 16-10-2017 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal Palace (Post 13896796)
F*ck Hugh.... .
I do declare that Larry David is my hero.

My beloved Aunt loved Curb Your Enthusiasm too.

Coastal Palace 16-10-2017 08:42 PM

If you've never seen Curb then seek it out. And I cant imagine theie's many that haven't seen it.
It's brilliant.
You have to look through your fingers sometimes but it's worth it.
It's as funny as Ricky Gervais wishes he could be.

Coastal Palace 16-10-2017 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoz (Post 13896823)
My beloved Aunt loved Curb Your Enthusiasm too.

:D

Coastal Palace 16-10-2017 08:49 PM

Richard Lewis is looking very frail.

Fedora69 16-10-2017 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal Palace (Post 13896841)
Richard Lewis is looking very frail.

Have just started rewatching the first series and yes he is.

Isle of Wight 16-10-2017 09:03 PM

Thanks to all those who recommended The Vietnam War. So much I didn't know.

Fedora69 16-10-2017 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal Palace (Post 13896841)
Richard Lewis is looking very frail.

But Cheryl gets better with age.

Terrace Bickle 17-10-2017 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal Palace (Post 13896830)
If you've never seen Curb then seek it out. And I cant imagine theie's many that haven't seen it.
It's brilliant.
You have to look through your fingers sometimes but it's worth it.
It's as funny as Ricky Gervais wishes he could be.

There is never a duff episode. The Palastinian Chicken Shop is one of my favourites. Although I've not seen the new series yet.

Tim of the 80's 17-10-2017 11:25 AM

Suburra the series, prequel to the movie just released in entirety on Netflix. First episode very good indeed. That's the next few evenings taken care of.

Payney 17-10-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim of the 80's (Post 13897376)
Suburra the series, prequel to the movie just released in entirety on Netflix. First episode very good indeed. That's the next few evenings taken care of.

Enjoying Suburra, Good stuff.

Coastal Palace 17-10-2017 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedora69 (Post 13896870)
But Cheryl gets better with age.

She's had an awful lot of work done though.
I didn't recognise her at first.

RCUK 17-10-2017 10:46 PM

Came across a random show on kodi called This Is Us .. and been totally blown away by it!

8.5 rated on IMDb and rightly so.

One episode called 'Memphis' is probably one of the best hours TV I've ever seen.

Coastal Palace 17-10-2017 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoz (Post 13896823)
My beloved Aunt loved Curb Your Enthusiasm too.

I think my favourite episode of all time is the one with the doll.

Judy Judy Judy...

Purepalace 18-10-2017 01:58 AM

Larry is king.

Jim Cannon 18-10-2017 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Murphy's Fringe (Post 13891387)
Meh, it's not The Professionals though is it.

Write the theme tune, sing the theme tune.....

Ha The Sweeney is miles better than the Professionals, though The Profs was excellent to be fair

BERT'S HEAD 18-10-2017 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cannon (Post 13899373)
Ha The Sweeney is miles better than the Professionals, though The Profs was excellent to be fair

Dodo & Boyle did have their moments.

CarlosTheFinger 18-10-2017 07:47 PM

I watched all of Curb so far recently. So many good bits but one which I loved was during the black swan killing episode. A small detail but the fact Jeff had bothered to write the subject line: "SWAN KILLING" on his e-mail to Larry killed me.

Cheers Curbyboys,

Carlos

Stavros 69 18-10-2017 07:49 PM

Do you respect wood?

CarlosTheFinger 18-10-2017 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevey_d (Post 7669004)
Arrested Development

As it hasn't been mentioned in over six years on this thread (and I happen to be rewatching it now), this is painfully underrated.

Cheers Mateybluths,

Carlos

Jerry Murphy's Fringe 19-10-2017 12:09 PM

Anyone else following The Deuce?

Enjoying the story develop so far. Looks authentic (to me at least) accepting it was probably a lot more grimy in reality during 70's NYC. Could do with a bit less lady-bumps, if anything. Yes; less, Maggie G just seems determined to get them out (not like her - I hear you chide). However, the soup scene was funny (I think intentionally).

Imajica 19-10-2017 02:24 PM

The Good Place on Netflix. Ted Dansen is very good and it has a pretty effective twist at the end of the first series.

Icy 19-10-2017 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pots1970 (Post 13895373)
Mindhunters on netflix, some of the portrayals of the serial killers are so believable you think its a documentary, the actor who plays big Ed, made me feel so uncomfortable the acting was that good, every episode gets better.

Started watching this, agreed so far. Plenty of dark humor too.

Nostrils 19-10-2017 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icy (Post 13900588)
Started watching this, agreed so far. Plenty of dark humor too.

Me too. Was a bit p!ssed off when I realised it was the last episode of the season. Excellent song choice for the final scene.

As an aside, I like the new 'skip intro' function.

Purepalace 20-10-2017 10:59 AM

The Last Man on Earth.

switchboard 23-10-2017 12:37 PM

Echo Mindhunters, we started watching it this weekend and didn't turn it off! Brilliant TV.

Am Phibian 23-10-2017 12:42 PM

I tune into my feminine and lesbian side once a week and sit on the sofa scratching my bollocks whilst watching Orange is the New Black. Women's prison drama with flashbacks telling each individuals's story over time. Great juxtaposition.

Very full on. Very good.

Need to watch it from the very beginning though to get all the little nuances.

pallet 26-10-2017 11:38 AM

Man down. Very funny

orp pisshead1 26-10-2017 12:40 PM

What do people think of Bad move on itv? Think it’s ok.

Skintagain 26-10-2017 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skintagain (Post 13694771)
I'm being forced by the grandkids to watch Henry danger over and over again. It's good stuff though.

In a new series I can't help noticing that Henry Danger is getting taller, currently the same size as Captain Mann.

the digger 26-10-2017 05:36 PM

Catastrophe

ProudandPalace 26-10-2017 05:44 PM

The Vietnam War now on the BBC Iplayer, 10 incredible episodes, each a work of art in its own right, yet tragic.

chelmsfordeagle 26-10-2017 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProudandPalace (Post 13913591)
The Vietnam War now on the BBC Iplayer, 10 incredible episodes, each a work of art in its own right, yet tragic.

I have watched episode nine this evening. I am guessing that the tenth is the last one. Like you i have found it incredible. It is Informative, in depth, moving and as you say, tragic.

It would be in my top five must watch programs of 2017.

Terrace Bickle 26-10-2017 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProudandPalace (Post 13913591)
The Vietnam War now on the BBC Iplayer, 10 incredible episodes, each a work of art in its own right, yet tragic.

Best documentary series in years.

Terrace Bickle 26-10-2017 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the digger (Post 13913583)
Catastrophe

When's the next series, I need a Sharon Horgan fix.

lewisuk 27-10-2017 01:31 AM

Anyone who has been watching Mindhunters and thought the guy playing Ed Kemper was good should watch how close he was to the real Ed kemper in his video interviews
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8IfslxOmF0

Se9 eagles 27-10-2017 05:58 AM

The next series of Blue Planet.Saw a preview and it promises to be amazing.There is a lot wrong with the BBC but they are unrivalled in natural history.

orp pisshead1 27-10-2017 08:07 AM

Norslov is a decent Danish cop drama with several good twists. On all 4 :p

CP-RJW 27-10-2017 10:11 AM

Club de Cuervos on Netflix, Mexican comedy/drama about a brother and a sister running a Mexican football club.

mexicaneagle 27-10-2017 11:40 AM

BBC2's Astronauts - do you have what it takes? Was good. A sort of high level reality TV gameshow. Worth a look on iplayer if you like slow moving interesting challenges and decent people rather than the mockable caricatures on most reality TV.

danpalace07 27-10-2017 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Se9 eagles (Post 13914121)
The next series of Blue Planet.Saw a preview and it promises to be amazing.There is a lot wrong with the BBC but they are unrivalled in natural history.

can't beat a bit of Big Dave and nature on the Beeb

Bryan 27-10-2017 04:35 PM

Mind hunters is excellent

Ant.Palace 28-10-2017 08:55 AM

Thanks whoever it was who recommended The good place

It's forking great

mexicaneagle 29-10-2017 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ant.Palace (Post 13915482)
Thanks whoever it was who recommended The good place

It's forking great

Are you shirting me?

Coastal Palace 29-10-2017 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 13914336)
Club de Cuervos on Netflix, Mexican comedy/drama about a brother and a sister running a Mexican football club.

Must remember to tune in to that one...:rolleyes:

Meanwhile in the real world , series 9 of Curb Your Enthusiasm is back to its very best.

Stranger Things 2 too.

Se9 eagles 29-10-2017 09:43 PM

Blue Planet 2 just been on.Amazing...

Coastal Palace 29-10-2017 10:02 PM

It's good but it's neither Curb Your Enthusiasm good nor is it Stranger Things 2 good.

We used to make the best tv programmes in the world back in the 70's/80's.
With the odd exception, we don't anymore.

Funk Butter 29-10-2017 10:43 PM

[slightspoilers]


danpalace07 30-10-2017 08:14 AM

Stranger Things 2 just about as good as the first series I think. For most people I think that would depend on what they think of episode 7 (I liked it, it was necessary for Eleven though a bit jarring considering how different it was)

pallet 31-10-2017 10:37 AM

Blue planet excellent. Is it me or has Snowfall gone abit weird?

art malice 31-10-2017 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danpalace07 (Post 13919642)
Stranger Things 2 just about as good as the first series I think. For most people I think that would depend on what they think of episode 7 (I liked it, it was necessary for Eleven though a bit jarring considering how different it was)

Iím up to episode 5. Enjoying it though seems a bit more Scooby Doo than the first series. The scene where Bob deciphers Willís map was ridiculous. Great acting though - the girl who plays Eleven is stupendous

CarlosTheFinger 31-10-2017 09:17 PM

Rellik was pretty sick, if you like a non-linear murder mystery. Similar style to Memento.

Finished on BBC a couple of weeks ago and you've got a couple of weeks to catch up on the iPlayer.

Cheers Backwardsboys,

solraC

Terrace Bickle 31-10-2017 09:21 PM

I and I think many others lasted about 30 minutes of Rellik, the format did my head in.

CP-RJW 31-10-2017 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal Palace (Post 13919389)
Must remember to tune in to that one...:rolleyes:

Meanwhile in the real world , series 9 of Curb Your Enthusiasm is back to its very best.

Stranger Things 2 too.

Yeah what’s your next recommendation, the Simpsons? Excuse me for recommending a show that isn’t known by every man and his dog :D

CarlosTheFinger 31-10-2017 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrace Bickle (Post 13922286)
I and I think many others lasted about 30 minutes of Rellik, the format did my head in.

Memento is my favourite film, so I was always bound to like any story told in a non-chronological order. Very good twists throughout too.

Personally, it was the originality of the format that made me love it. But if you get annoyed by seeing the end result of something, then finding out why it happened, then finding out why that first thing happened, for six episodes, before you finally find out why the killer became the killer in the first place, then you will most probably hate it.

Leopald Stotch 12-11-2017 01:19 AM

I saw the pilot of Motherland on the BBC iplayer last week, which they were promoting ahead of the 1st series starting on Tuesday. Anyhoo, the whole 1st series went straight online and i've just watched all 6 episodes tonight. Genuinley funny with some proper big laugh moments.
No doubt some on here will hate it, but I'll give it an easy 8/10.
BTW, 1 boob.

art malice 12-11-2017 12:49 PM

Loved the Motherland pilot but bit disappointed by the first episode. The stressed mum character was a bit too fvcking annoying! Some good bits though.

The return of The Detectorists did not disappoint.

Isle of Wight 12-11-2017 12:58 PM

Thanks art didn't realise the detectorists was back. I love this series I always feel happier but calmer after watching it for some reason��


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.