CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Recommend a TV programme (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=187551)

art malice 12-11-2017 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 13939882)
Thanks art didn't realise the detectorists was back. I love this series I always feel happier but calmer after watching it for some reason��

Same :p

Palace Kebab 13-11-2017 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopald Stotch (Post 13939465)
I saw the pilot of Motherland on the BBC iplayer last week, which they were promoting ahead of the 1st series starting on Tuesday. Anyhoo, the whole 1st series went straight online and i've just watched all 6 episodes tonight. Genuinley funny with some proper big laugh moments.
No doubt some on here will hate it, but I'll give it an easy 8/10.
BTW, 1 boob.


Mistake or actual boob? Just deciding whether to watch it, an actual boob and I am in...

Ant.Palace 13-11-2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 13939882)
Thanks art didn't realise the detectorists was back. I love this series I always feel happier but calmer after watching it for some reason��

Love the detectorists, and so do I.

johnbush 13-11-2017 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art malice (Post 13939876)

The return of The Detectorists did not disappoint.

Except that Sophie seems to have disappeared.:frown:

elgin eagle 13-11-2017 11:07 AM

Stranger things 2 is great. As is Curb your enthusiasm 9

Loafster 13-11-2017 11:36 AM

on series 4 of Curb, just superb

Socrates 13-11-2017 08:39 PM

American Coup - documentary on Netflix which recounts the story of the overthrow of the Mossadegh government in Iran in 1953. This was a world-changing event which is largely forgotten yet we are still dealing with the bitter consequences 60-odd years later. It was also the blueprint for CIA interference in foreign regimes over subsequent years. Truly a seminal event in Middle East history.

Terrace Bickle 13-11-2017 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isle of Wight (Post 13939882)
Thanks art didn't realise the detectorists was back. I love this series I always feel happier but calmer after watching it for some reason��

Same, it's a really good gentle comedy drama.

bubbs11 14-11-2017 05:45 PM

ITV4 10:15pm tonight

Stuck on You: documentary about the history of the football sticker phenomenon


http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week46/stuck-you

BERT'S HEAD 14-11-2017 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 13942529)
ITV4 10:15pm tonight

Stuck on You: documentary about the history of the football sticker phenomenon


http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week46/stuck-you

Great shout really looking forward to this. Some of the ugliest "photos" of footballers you will ever see :p

PeterH 14-11-2017 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 13942529)
ITV4 10:15pm tonight

Stuck on You: documentary about the history of the football sticker phenomenon


http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week46/stuck-you

I will have to try and find that somewhere.....

Jim Cannon 14-11-2017 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 13942529)
ITV4 10:15pm tonight

Stuck on You: documentary about the history of the football sticker phenomenon


http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week46/stuck-you

Cheers should be good

bubbs11 14-11-2017 06:51 PM

Was listening to an interview on the radio today with one of the guys that broke away from Panini to form Merlin. Said children collecting football stickers is one of the few hobbies that has survived the technology boom. As popular as ever.

jjeagle 14-11-2017 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 13942621)
Was listening to an interview on the radio today with one of the guys that broke away from Panini to form Merlin. Said children collecting football stickers is one of the few hobbies that has survived the technology boom. As popular as ever.

l heard a radio interview early this morning as well. The fellow declared himself a Palace fan

Maidstoned Eagle 14-11-2017 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 13942609)
I will have to try and find that somewhere.....

Have you not got a VPN blocker?

PeterH 14-11-2017 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 13942659)
Have you not got a VPN blocker?

Nope. I tend to come back to things several years after they have aired. I only recently caught up with that film about the Stoke supporter who became kit man.

I have so many DVDs, books, games on Steam etc.. That I think it could take me 10 years to get through the lot.

Stellavista 14-11-2017 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 13942678)
Nope. I tend to come back to things several years after they have aired. I only recently caught up with that film about the Stoke supporter who became kit man.

Toby Jones played him brilliantly.

http://domrobinson.co.uk/dvd-fever/w...arvellousa.jpg

PeterH 14-11-2017 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 13942621)
Was listening to an interview on the radio today with one of the guys that broke away from Panini to form Merlin. Said children collecting football stickers is one of the few hobbies that has survived the technology boom. As popular as ever.

Other stickers too now. And they start them young with Paw Patrol and the like, and trading cards.

PeterH 14-11-2017 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 13942680)

Yep, it was legendary.

palacelad197o 14-11-2017 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 13942529)
ITV4 10:15pm tonight

Stuck on You: documentary about the history of the football sticker phenomenon


http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week46/stuck-you

:p

bubbs11 15-11-2017 06:03 AM

So did you watch 'Stuck on You'?

Didn't realise the whole Maxwell story happened. Must've been hell for those guys when those writs were served.

Got to hand it to them though; they took the beautiful template from the Italians and really created a work of sticker art really. When I look at the albums out now, they just lack that simplicity and order the old Panini albums had. The ones I've seen in the last few years I find a mess in terms of presentation, information and layout.

Those guys back then knew exactly how to package the product.

cappuccinoeagle 18-11-2017 01:11 PM

Elizabeth 1's Secret Agents - A three parter on the I Player about the setting up of the first spy network in Tudor times, also including later the foiling of the Gunpowder Plot.

Maidstoned Eagle 18-11-2017 02:18 PM

Just finishing Narcos 3, every series gets better and better.

Maidstoned Eagle 18-11-2017 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 13942678)

I have so many DVDs, books, games on Steam etc.. That I think it could take me 10 years to get through the lot.

Steam?

Smoz 18-11-2017 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 13942680)


It is called Marvellous and was directed by a Palace supporter who sits in the Holmesdale gallery most games.

PeterH 19-11-2017 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 13946497)
Steam?

Steam is a portal for PC games. It works really well, although daily updates are a pain. Humble Bundle offers and the like go through steam.

You have an online library that has more or less replaced buying and loading from CDs & DVDs.

Cheap as chips compared to console games.


Nothing to do with TV shows though.


I am currently watching WWII colourised on Netflix.

PeterH 19-11-2017 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cappuccinoeagle (Post 13946382)
Elizabeth 1's Secret Agents - A three parter on the I Player about the setting up of the first spy network in Tudor times, also including later the foiling of the Gunpowder Plot.

Ooooh.

Nostrils 22-11-2017 10:50 PM

After a bit of a slow start, Godless on Netflix is getting quite good.

pallet 23-11-2017 07:52 PM

Peaky blinders is back to its very best. Loving it.

Shipps@Palace 23-11-2017 07:59 PM

Snowfall

Mad Max 23-11-2017 08:06 PM

Bit outdated but Weeds = breaking bad but with more humour.

cappuccinoeagle 23-11-2017 09:51 PM

Series 5 of Vikings starts next week

AshfordianEagle 24-11-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 13955241)
Bit outdated but Weeds = breaking bad but with more humour.

Mmmm, Mary-Louise Parker :-)

Good show though.

Loudermilk - I'm enjoying this, been hard to find though.
Lethal Weapon (TV Show) - Good old cop fair
Ghosted - A bit silly but enjoyable
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Love this.

jhc 24-11-2017 11:38 AM

Madam Secretary on Sky Living new series started last night

Dave McGregor 24-11-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pallet (Post 13955222)
Peaky blinders is back to its very best. Loving it.

Seconded - the best thing on TV in my opinion. The acting is brilliant all round but special mention to Tom Hardy.

BaldEagle96 24-11-2017 12:58 PM

Just watched first two seasons of Peaky Blinders in the week and wow, just wow. Can't believe I dismissed this programme as "crap" without giving it a try.

Season 3 over the weekend methinks!

budgie 24-11-2017 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave McGregor (Post 13955866)
Seconded - the best thing on TV in my opinion. The acting is brilliant all round but special mention to Tom Hardy.

Really?

I love Peaky Blinders, but even though I enjoy the Tom Hardy character, doesn't he just play the same way for everything he does?

Dave McGregor 24-11-2017 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budgie (Post 13955897)
Really?

I love Peaky Blinders, but even though I enjoy the Tom Hardy character, doesn't he just play the same way for everything he does?

I just love the character he plays.

Chris K 24-11-2017 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 13946494)
Just finishing Narcos 3, every series gets better and better.

Absolutely brilliant series. So good I bought the book of one of the characters. I won't say whose at it may be a bit of a spoiler!

ITV's show on pot smoking in the US with 'Fash', Christopher Biggins, Pat Butcher, the slimmer one from Birds of a Feather and that darts player is a really good watch

pallet 24-11-2017 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaldEagle96 (Post 13955891)
Just watched first two seasons of Peaky Blinders in the week and wow, just wow. Can't believe I dismissed this programme as "crap" without giving it a try.

Season 3 over the weekend methinks!

Season 3 gets a bit stupid but bear with it so when you watch season 4 it makes sense.

Imajica 24-11-2017 01:18 PM

I've just finished watching Mindhunters on Netflix. Set in the 70's with the FBI starting out with behavioral science to catch serial killers. It is very well cast especially Holt McCallany as one of the FBI agents. Also just started Sinners with Jessica Biel, promising start.

Pat of the Palace 24-11-2017 01:36 PM

Yep. 3 episodes into Mindhunter. Very well made.

Maidstoned Eagle 24-11-2017 01:39 PM

Forgot that was out...read about it in Empire magazine a while back, looked good.

Nostrils 26-11-2017 06:18 PM

Finished watching Godless today and can recommend it if you like westerns. It's got a great cast that, in turn put on some good performances with characters that aren't completely two dimensional. The story's original enough and my only gripe would be the score (which is in fairness pretty good) can be unnecessary at times.

Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond - Featuring a Very Special, Contractually Obligated Mention of Tony Clifton

I can't say I'm a huge fan of Jim Carry tbh, his face annoys the p!ss out of me, but this documentary about the filming of 'Man on the Moon' is completely unique, to my knowledge at least. His recent accompanying interview that plays alongside the original footage can be a bit (lot) pretentious, but he does have something to say at least.

Terrace Bickle 26-11-2017 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budgie (Post 13955897)
Really?

I love Peaky Blinders, but even though I enjoy the Tom Hardy character, doesn't he just play the same way for everything he does?

Spot on. There have been some superb anecdotes about Hardy on Popbitch recently, about how hard he believes he is, which are quite funny if true. Another Danny Dyer.

Dave McGregor 27-11-2017 12:31 PM

Better call Saul. Just got season 3 delivered so looking forward to that.

danpalace07 28-11-2017 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave McGregor (Post 13960766)
Better call Saul. Just got season 3 delivered so looking forward to that.

Best season so far, brilliant TV

Coastal Palace 01-12-2017 03:54 PM

The Punisher. Just finished it. Brilliant.

brighton_eagle 01-12-2017 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal Palace (Post 13968473)
The Punisher. Just finished it. Brilliant.

I've got 2 episodes to go, but I reckon it's been the best Marvel/Netflix so far.

Coastal Palace 01-12-2017 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brighton_eagle (Post 13968478)
I've got 2 episodes to go, but I reckon it's been the best Marvel/Netflix so far.

The last 2 episodes are arguably the best.
Enjoy.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 01-12-2017 04:03 PM

Meth Storm. Incredibly depressing story of an Arkansas community ripped apart by the flood of 'super' meth from Mexico.

Coastal Palace 01-12-2017 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro (Post 13968507)
Meth Storm. Incredibly depressing story of an Arkansas community ripped apart by the flood of 'super' meth from Mexico.

And just in time for Christmas and all...Fa la la la la...la la la laaaa...



:D

TAK 01-12-2017 04:57 PM

Agree on The Punisher. Up there with Jessica Jones.

Just binge watched Godless on Netflix.

If you like a western then this is one for you.

danpalace07 01-12-2017 06:05 PM

the Vietnam War doc on iPlayer (made by some American network) is outstanding

PeterH 01-12-2017 06:38 PM

I don't think anyone has recommended that. I will have to check back a few pages.

Coastal Palace 01-12-2017 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAK (Post 13968612)
Agree on The Punisher. Up there with Jessica Jones.

Just binge watched Godless on Netflix.

If you like a western then this is one for you.

I didn't care much for Jessica Jones.
I'd say it was up along Dare Devil.

Purepalace 01-12-2017 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 13968750)
I don't think anyone has recommended that. I will have to check back a few pages.

There would appear to be at least two versions out there with the same title. Either that or you're being sarcastic.

PeterH 01-12-2017 08:37 PM

Moi.

Nostrils 01-12-2017 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 13968911)
Moi.

I didn't realise you were a Brummie.

Purepalace 01-12-2017 08:40 PM

sí :)

Coastal Palace 01-12-2017 08:41 PM

At the risk of repetition, I'd definitely seek out The Punisher.
There have been a couple of actors that have portrayed Frank Castle on screen off the top of my head but Jon Bernthal has made this role his own in my opinion.

sydney eagle 03-12-2017 10:38 AM

I started watching “Dark” on Netflix today

cappuccinoeagle 03-12-2017 04:22 PM

On UK Play - The White Princess

mexicaneagle 03-12-2017 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal Palace (Post 13968917)
At the risk of repetition, I'd definitely seek out The Punisher.
There have been a couple of actors that have portrayed Frank Castle on screen off the top of my head but Jon Bernthal has made this role his own in my opinion.

Superb. Only the last episode looked comic book-y in the implausible indestructibleness of the protagonist. As you say, superb acting from Shane. He brought something very confused and vulnerable to what could easily be a gung ho action hero role.

KP'S Nuts 05-12-2017 07:20 PM

is Ash Vs Evil Dead any good was thinking of starting that?.

Nostrils 05-12-2017 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KP'S Nuts (Post 13976277)
is Ash Vs Evil Dead any good was thinking of starting that?.

I quite liked it, but I'm a massive nerd-like fan of the movies and Bruce Campbell. I'd say it's both entertaining and slightly disappointing.

Am Phibian 05-12-2017 08:42 PM

Storyville

Every one is stunning.

greybot 05-12-2017 11:51 PM

The Vietnam War. So good it should keep getting recommended.

Old Joe Paxton 05-12-2017 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greybot (Post 13976567)
The Vietnam War. So good it should keep getting recommended.

Yes v good

JimmyAG 06-12-2017 06:56 AM

"Finding me a family" on C4 last night was very good, and a nice change from the general mass of senseless drivel otherwise shown on TV. Check out the part where the 2 adoption kids, Kye & Mikey, talk about their favourite colours, Red or Blue. I'd have said "Red & Blue"... Maybe Palace can adopt them ;-)

Terrace Bickle 07-12-2017 05:58 PM

I love The Detectorists and am regretting only watching this series. It's such a great gentle comedy. Am secretly hoping it all ends happily, but have the feeling it won't and will be left open, although I also doubt there'll be another series.

Maidstoned Eagle 07-12-2017 06:25 PM

Watched the first 10-15 minutes of Godless last night...that looked very promising.

rhiannapaul 07-12-2017 10:51 PM

Love the detectorists miss Sophie but she is in peaky blinders
What is about detectorists just feels me with warmth

Isle of Wight 08-12-2017 12:05 AM

Storyville Mugabe and the democrats I player

Terrace Bickle 08-12-2017 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhiannapaul (Post 13979204)
Love the detectorists miss Sophie but she is in peaky blinders
What is about detectorists just feels me with warmth

It's void of cynicism and a story about nice people trying to get by. Also good that it doesn't make the usual mistake of trying for a gag a minute backed up with canned laughter.

Ardent Eagle Forever 08-12-2017 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cappuccinoeagle (Post 13972672)
On UK Play - The White Princess

Pretty good.

Ardent Eagle Forever 08-12-2017 12:42 PM

Witnesses on BBC 4 is good. French with English subtitles. Different spin on murder and kidnap.

Terrace Bickle 08-12-2017 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ardent Eagle Forever (Post 13979840)
Witnesses on BBC 4 is good. French with English subtitles. Different spin on murder and kidnap.

Of course it has absolutely nothing to do with the two female leads being hot either. The redhead was also in a very good French TV series called Spiral.

Isle of Wight 08-12-2017 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrace Bickle (Post 13979828)
It's void of cynicism and a story about nice people trying to get by. Also good that it doesn't make the usual mistake of trying for a gag a minute backed up with canned laughter.

But its starting to get me stressed now, first the ex wife , then the magpies and now maybe loosing the field. Its not supposed to be like that. ;)

Terrace Bickle 13-12-2017 10:31 PM

Great end to The Detectorists, really nicely done. Shame it seems like the finale, but good to go whilst the quality was so high.

Socrates 14-12-2017 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrace Bickle (Post 13979874)
Of course it has absolutely nothing to do with the two female leads being hot either. The redhead was also in a very good French TV series called Spiral.

I'd say Spiral was excellent and series 6 begins on 30th December on BBC 4 - :lux:

N Herts Eagle 14-12-2017 12:24 PM

The Tunnel Series 3 available from today, and starts broadcasting on Sky Atlantic tonight. Well worth catching up if you have missed the previous two series.

BaldEagle96 14-12-2017 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle (Post 13993634)
The Tunnel Series 3 available from today, and starts broadcasting on Sky Atlantic tonight. Well worth catching up if you have missed the previous two series.


Thoroughly enjoyed the first two seasons. Have downloaded the first couple of episodes of this latest and last season to watch tonight. Really looking forward to it.

N Herts Eagle 14-12-2017 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaldEagle96 (Post 13993676)
Thoroughly enjoyed the first two seasons. Have downloaded the first couple of episodes of this latest and last season to watch tonight. Really looking forward to it.

Totally agree is one of my favourite shows. If your into modern police series well worth watching, and have to say the first two episodes of Bancroft have been good but I am one behind due to the game Tuesday....

Repo Man 14-12-2017 04:36 PM

Saw the first two episodes of The League of Gentlemen Christmas specials at the BFI on Tuesday - its a bit of an acquired taste (to say the least) but worth checking out.

N Herts Eagle 15-12-2017 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaldEagle96 (Post 13993676)
Thoroughly enjoyed the first two seasons. Have downloaded the first couple of episodes of this latest and last season to watch tonight. Really looking forward to it.

Good start and an added bonus the first screening of a trailer for a new series from the Line of Duty guys to be shown on Sky Atlantic.......
.

art malice 15-12-2017 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrace Bickle (Post 13992973)
Great end to The Detectorists, really nicely done. Shame it seems like the finale, but good to go whilst the quality was so high.

Mention of ‘the Co-op on Holmesdale Road’ to boot.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 16-12-2017 02:42 AM

Norsemen is reasonably amusing

Am Phibian 17-12-2017 06:30 PM

Still Game still makes me piss myself at least three times an episode.

Stellavista 20-12-2017 11:22 AM

New series of League of Gentlemen has a tea tea-spluttering opening....

cappuccinoeagle 26-12-2017 10:50 PM

The latest Maigret.
The Minituarist

Old Joe Paxton 26-12-2017 11:53 PM

Godless on Netflix
Mafiosa on Channel 4 catchup
Wormwood on Netflix (6 episode drama / doc)
The Tower on Netflix, animated doc film on Netflix
The Seven Five, doc on Netflix
Best of Enemies, doc on Netflix

Upstart Crow, BBC

PeterH 27-12-2017 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Am Phibian (Post 13999766)
Still Game still makes me piss myself at least three times an episode.

Best sitcom of the last 10 years easy.

Braders 27-12-2017 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH (Post 14013921)
Best sitcom of the last 10 years easy.

:p yep absolutely brilliant

Terrace Bickle 27-12-2017 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cappuccinoeagle (Post 14013047)
The Minituarist

I've been hypnotised by Anya Taylor-Joy's heaving bosom, corsets work wonders. It's amazing that they've managed to make Romola Garai look so plain.

Vince Hilaire's Afro 27-12-2017 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Am Phibian (Post 13999766)
Still Game still makes me piss myself at least three times an episode.

Episodes of chewin' the fat are on Netflix also (in the US anyway)

Vince Hilaire's Afro 27-12-2017 09:03 PM

Currently watching 'Harlots'. I do love a heaving bosom.

Nostrils 27-12-2017 10:39 PM

Just watched an episode of 'Dark' on Netflix expecting it to be another one I wouldn't bother with, but I quite like it so far. The trailer was a bit odd so didn't bother, I realise now it's because it's German and they obviously didn't want to highlight that fact - strange really, when it's completely apparent as soon as you press play. Anyway, it's good, but make sure you don't leave the American dub on, subs are available on the options.

elgin eagle 27-12-2017 10:51 PM

Going back through the curb your enthusiasms again. The great thing about a failing memory is they are like new episodes again. Amazing how much younger they all look in season 1 compared to season 9. Still funny as hell though.

Imajica 27-12-2017 10:51 PM

dark was great, it gets a little confusing towards the end to keep track of who is who though


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.