CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   The Music Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   The Beatles (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=198394)

bubbs11 09-10-2020 01:46 AM

Happy Birthday John Lennon.

(would’ve been) 80 today.

henryhallandhisbasque 09-10-2020 06:57 AM

I'm sure he would be delighted to be here still. Shut up in his apartment, not able to go out, watching a world gone mad on TV, and with Yoko drawing up a list of domestic chores for him to do. He had his time at a better time. Just grateful for the memories he left us.

Spindle 09-10-2020 07:27 AM

Watched a good docu on his last weekend interview with John Peel the other day. Was interesting.

legaleagle2 09-10-2020 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15449036)
Happy Birthday John Lennon.

(wouldíve been) 80 today.

His best post-Beatles track IMHO.

We all shine on.

Maidstoned Eagle 09-10-2020 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henryhallandhisbasque (Post 15449073)
I'm sure he would be delighted to be here still. Shut up in his apartment, not able to go out, watching a world gone mad on TV, and with Yoko drawing up a list of domestic chores for him to do. He had his time at a better time. Just grateful for the memories he left us.

He would've dumped her long before this.

bubbs11 24-10-2020 03:17 AM

McCartney lll - new album out December 11th.

Made during lockdown when he was stranded at his daughter’s house in Sussex. It’s a follow on from McCartney l (1970) and McCartney ll (1980), which were homemade low-fi albums where Macca played and recorded it all himself. Got to say, have always loved McCartney l. McCartney ll not at all as he’d just acquired a new fangled synthesiser and it just sounds bloody awful now.

Know he gets a lot of stick, and some of his output has been sickly cheesy to say the least, but 78 years old and still putting stuff out. Pretty amazing.

bubbs11 22-12-2020 04:14 AM

Wow. Amazing to see them having so much fun after growing up with the original Lindsay-Hogg edit that made the sessions out to be a fractious, depressing chore. Thank you Peter Jackson.

Baffled Bob 2 22-12-2020 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15553367)

Wow. Amazing to see them having so much fun after growing up with the original Lindsay-Hogg edit that made the sessions out to be a fractious, depressing chore. Thank you Peter Jackson.

I am a massive fan but I worry about this project. Of course I'll see it.

But what made "Let it Be" great was that it showed a band on the verge of splitting up. Wanting to spend more time with their new wives. Arguing with each other over trivial stuff.

I hope this isn't too happy clappy. They'd spent 10 years packed together in clubs, vans and hotel rooms expected to be seen together and smiling together. Falling out was inevitable and it was great that it was recorded

bubbs11 22-12-2020 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baffled Bob 2 (Post 15553368)
I am a massive fan but I worry about this project. Of course I'll see it.

But what made "Let it Be" great was that it showed a band on the verge of splitting up. Wanting to spend more time with their new wives. Arguing with each other over trivial stuff.

I hope this isn't too happy clappy. They'd spent 10 years packed together in clubs, vans and hotel rooms expected to be seen together and smiling together. Falling out was inevitable and it was great that it was recorded

I know what youíre saying, and clearly the sessions were fraught at times and nothing like the tight ship they were. Of course there was the Macca/Harrison argument and George walking out after coming to blows with John. Yokoís constant heavy stony faced presence canít have helped either. But this and the future fall outs between John and Paul, and the fact that basically they had outgrown the band, are all commonly known.

I donít think this film will be trying to say all was fab, fab and happy clappy always in the Beatles camp, but at the same time readdress the fact that despite what was seen in Lindsay-Hoggís cut, they werenít at each otherís throats throughout either. The thing is the footage is there. It hasnít been doctored. They canít just magic up footage of them happily playing together if it never happened.

I do hope they do keep the arguments in, but it will be more of a balanced account with the laughter too. John was one funny fella.

bubbs11 25-02-2021 03:10 AM

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.b...yside-56182212

You can now study for a masters degree in...The Beatles.

Don’t fret Worksop and Maidstoned - I’ve already signed you up.

Maidstoned Eagle 25-02-2021 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15668499)
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.b...yside-56182212

You can now study for a masters degree in...The Beatles.

Donít fret Worksop and Maidstoned - Iíve already signed you up.

My thesis is already written. "Why the beetles are overrated".

Skintagain 25-02-2021 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15668973)

They turn out not to be as crunchy as you imagined?

AJ 25-02-2021 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 15470833)
McCartney lll - new album out December 11th.

Made during lockdown when he was stranded at his daughterís house in Sussex. Itís a follow on from McCartney l (1970) and McCartney ll (1980), which were homemade low-fi albums where Macca played and recorded it all himself. Got to say, have always loved McCartney l. McCartney ll not at all as heíd just acquired a new fangled synthesiser and it just sounds bloody awful now.

Know he gets a lot of stick, and some of his output has been sickly cheesy to say the least, but 78 years old and still putting stuff out. Pretty amazing.

I am a big fan of his but like all the Beatles they seem to be able to write about 6 decent songs per album and the other 6 or 7 are just average. McCartney was always the worst at that and some of his solo stuff is really poorly written. I understand he is the type of person who likes to writes a song in one day and on some of his stuff it sounds to me like the song should have been worked on more and maybe he would have been more accomplished had he written 2 albums and then had someone take the best from both and made 1 album.
I kind of feel the same with the White Album, they should have made it a single rather than a double and worked or dropped the lesser tracks for a later album, although a number of tracks being developed during the White Album ended up in Let it Be and Abbey Road.

CP-RJW 25-02-2021 11:52 AM

Yeah, I never got the hype around the White Album. So much forgettable filler, at least by the Beatles' very high standards.

weltklasse 25-02-2021 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 15669264)
Yeah, I never got the hype around the White Album. So much forgettable filler, at least by the Beatles' very high standards.

What hype was this?

Granada allover 25-02-2021 03:59 PM

Quote:

You just couldn't resist, could you? :hi:

CP-RJW 25-02-2021 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weltklasse (Post 15669540)
What hype was this?

It’s a very common choice for ‘favourite/best Beatles album.’

weltklasse 25-02-2021 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 15669571)
Itís a very common choice for Ďfavourite/best Beatles album.í

So its not hype really is it its just others subjective opinion, the fact that you have a different subjective opinion still doesn't make it hype. Each to their own I say.

Beatleboy 25-02-2021 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ (Post 15669246)
I am a big fan of his but like all the Beatles they seem to be able to write about 6 decent songs per album and the other 6 or 7 are just average. McCartney was always the worst at that and some of his solo stuff is really poorly written. I understand he is the type of person who likes to writes a song in one day and on some of his stuff it sounds to me like the song should have been worked on more and maybe he would have been more accomplished had he written 2 albums and then had someone take the best from both and made 1 album.
I kind of feel the same with the White Album, they should have made it a single rather than a double and worked or dropped the lesser tracks for a later album, although a number of tracks being developed during the White Album ended up in Let it Be and Abbey Road.

I am impressed that you are a big fan of Macca, who is the most successful singer/songwriter of all time. The BEATLES are the biggest and best band of all time ( subjective yes, but backed up with facts - e.g. 17 number 1 UK singles). Certainly the most successful. I totally disagree that 6 or 7 songs per BEATLES album were average. Back in the day ( and the 1960's was THE decade for music), any group would have given their right arm for a BEATLES album track or a "B Side." Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones begged for 1 of their album tracks ( I wanna be your Man), which became a number 1 for the Stones. Personally the White Album and Abbey Road were probably my favourite albums, although The White Album contains 2 of the few BEATLES tracks that I actually dislike ( Paul's "Why Don'We Do It In The Road and John's "Revolution 9). When Paul McCartney leaves this mortal coil, it will be as big a deal worldwide as when ELVIS died.

Oh and by the way, Paul had the number 1 album at Christmas in 2020 - not bad for a 78 year old!

He would have been the headline act at Glastonbury in 2020, but Covid 19 intervened.

Beatleboy 25-02-2021 05:49 PM

Quote:

I know that your last whispered words when you shuffle off this Planet will be,
" Tell Beatleboy that I secretely loved Paul McCartney and all the other BEATLES!":D:D:D:D