CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   The Music Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   The Beatles (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=198394)

Maidstoned Eagle 05-03-2010 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Regan
If you mean the one in Church Street, it's still popular now. If it's the one with the hall at the back of it near Old Palace school, I saw a Sex Pistols tribute act there in 1999

Not sure, my brother in law used to play there a lot in the 60's and, if I remember rightly its mentioned a lot in a very good book about Live music in Croydon.

gcwhite 05-03-2010 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moverman
OK Jack.

At what Croydon venue did Jimi Hendrix make his one and only appearance?

Clue, it was in February 1968.

My mate wanted me to go to that gig at the Star. I didn't fancy it. One of many stupid decisions I've made. Did get to see him 2 year later at IoW though.

stevek 05-03-2010 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Regan
If you mean the one in Church Street, it's still popular now. If it's the one with the hall at the back of it near Old Palace school,

Isn't the one in Church Street also the one near Old Palace School?

Maidstoned Eagle 05-03-2010 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcwhite
My mate wanted me to go to that gig at the Star. I didn't fancy it. One of many stupid decisions I've made. Did get to see him 2 year later at IoW though.

My mate went there, and was so out of it he missed Hendrix's last ever live performance.

Jack Regan 05-03-2010 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek
Isn't the one in Church Street also the one near Old Palace School?

Sorry, I worded that badly, I'm referring to the same place.

Heb 7:4 05-03-2010 09:02 AM

I'm not sure I'm convinced by this band. Reading a bit about them it seems they were heavily influenced by drugs, and I'm really not sure that's the kind of thing children should be writing about for their homework

Eagles55 05-03-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moverman
OK Jack.

At what Croydon venue did Jimi Hendrix make his one and only appearance?

Clue, it was in February 1968.

Hendrix played several gigs at the Chistlehurst Caves if I remenber correctly.
Personally I didn't see him there but saw him headline a package tour with Pink Floyd as one of the supporting acts down in Brighton (Dome). Not bad for five shillings (25p).

Didn't the Beatles (and Hendrix) ever play at the Orchid Purley or doesn't that count as Croydon.

EagleSE24 05-03-2010 09:45 AM


Herr Colonpharter 05-03-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Regan
They played the ABC at Broad Green before if got knocked down (obviously).

Also, and not a lot of people know this, There's an office block near the top of Surrey Street called Davis House. This was built on the site of the old Davis Theatre which Buddy Holly and the Crickets played in 1958.

Anything you want to know about Croydon, I know it.

They also played the Fairfield Halls (JR or BB can confirm the year) I'm fairly certain of this cos I was there.

EdMan 05-03-2010 10:20 AM

http://www.shadyoldlady.com/location.php?loc=1812

hendrix played at the tooting bingo hall as well, but a bit before my time...

AJ 05-03-2010 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle
I hope your son concludes his home work with some sort of statement along the lines of "A boy ban who got lucky, the only two members of which died early, leaving the two surviving dimwits to live off of their deceased colleagues reputations. The musical equivalent of The Emporers new clothes".

That basically sums up every successful band.

Maidstoned Eagle 05-03-2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ
That basically sums up every successful band.

I don't think it does.

ElwissAtMemphis 05-03-2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James
I didn't get sacked - I was offered a move to John Newnham after I had been stabbed in the leg by a young girl (with a protractor).

Your pupils hated you so much they tried to stab you ?! I find that very hard to believe.

Just as well she didn't have a decent maths teacher otherwise she'd have known to use a compass rather than a protractor. :) <--- JOKE

Nostrils 10-10-2018 09:14 PM

:eek:

https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/10/ringo...-late-8023689/

I can't imagine a scenario where I would do this. There was a brief period when I about 13 where I wouldn't even do it by myself, just in case a ghost was watching. To each his own.

BERT'S HEAD 10-10-2018 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostrils (Post 14459906)
:eek:

https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/10/ringo...-late-8023689/

I can't imagine a scenario where I would do this. There was a brief period when I about 13 where I wouldn't even do it by myself, just in case a ghost was watching. To each his own.

It inspired one of their greatest hits - I Wanna Hold Your Cock.

CP-RJW 10-10-2018 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERT'S HEAD (Post 14459935)
It inspired one of their greatest hits - I Wanna Hold Your Cock.

Yep. And cum together.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels 10-10-2018 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 8370544)
Was it The Gun that used to be quite a popular venue in the 60's?

It's now a Romanian Restaurant - http://mahalauk.com/

weltklasse 11-10-2018 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 8370573)
My mate went there, and was so out of it he missed Hendrix's last ever live performance.

Isle of Fehmarn love and peace festival which was more of of a bikers riot. or his final jam at Ronnie scotts with War?

Maidstoned Eagle 11-10-2018 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weltklasse (Post 14460035)
Isle of Fehmarn love and peace festival which was more of of a bikers riot. or his final jam at Ronnie scotts with War?

Dunno, I wasn't there.

strawberry mivi 11-10-2018 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 14460127)
Dunno, I wasn't there.

Surely the phrase is 'i wasn't there, man'


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.