CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   The Music Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   The Beatles (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=198394)

Dorking .Eagle 14-10-2018 06:23 PM

Just googled it,the song was 'Your mother should know'

Found a pic on google

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/om6bq8LEM5k/hqdefault.jpg

My Mum and Dad are one of the couples dressed in ballroom dancing gear coming down the stairs behind the Beatles. They can recognise themselves straight away. They also know most of the other dancers as they were all friends from the same dance club. Some were friends for donkeys years

Maidstoned Eagle 14-10-2018 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle (Post 14464002)
No,however my Mum and Dad met them all when they were in the film 'Magical Mystery Tour'. It was filmed over a weekend in Kent somewhere I believe.

They used to go to Peggy Spencers dance hall, and that's how they got to be in it - they were dancers who danced down some stairs to the song 'Your mother would know' which was near the end of the film

The film was on tv on Boxing Day (1967?) in black and white, and was panned by critics.

It has since been out in colour on DVD I believe, they are vaguely featured in the 12 inch record sleeve (there is a sleeve version with pictures which my mum has)

My mum has a photo of the 4 of them signed by all four. Must be worth a bit with the provenence of their back story I imagine.

Sorry if I've mentioned this before.

Your parents have my deepest sympathies

bubbs11 14-10-2018 07:59 PM

Quote:

No,however my Mum and Dad met them all when they were in the film 'Magical Mystery Tour'. It was filmed over a weekend in Kent somewhere I believe.

They used to go to Peggy Spencers dance hall, and that's how they got to be in it - they were dancers who danced down some stairs to the song 'Your mother would know' which was near the end of the film

The film was on tv on Boxing Day (1967?) in black and white, and was panned by critics.

It has since been out in colour on DVD I believe, they are vaguely featured in the 12 inch record sleeve (there is a sleeve version with pictures which my mum has)

My mum has a photo of the 4 of them signed by all four. Must be worth a bit with the provenence of their back story I imagine.

No, never heard that and I’m seriously impressed! Your mum and dad in a Beatles film! Don’t listen to old grumpy tone deaf above.

Dorking .Eagle 14-10-2018 08:41 PM

There was apparently a bit of a story in the press at the time about why 3 of the Beatles had a red flower and Paul had a black one. They came up with some story about how it had a deeper meaning.

Apparently this was all bollocks and the flowers were simply a last minute decision - they pinched them off the Peggy Spencer dancers.

Between rehearsals etc, they had meals in a big canteen and anyone could just sit and chat with them, they were down to earth normal fellas apparently

PauLo 26-09-2019 10:00 AM

So until recently, I would have definitely been one of those annoying shits that said The Beatles were overrated. And in some ways I still do think that a little. But something changed recently. I always viewed bands like The Beatles or Nirvana as influential and I could see what they did for music, but never thought that they were worthy of the adoration they received.

BUT then I listened to Nevermind for the first time in about 20 years and I found myself enjoying myself a lot more than I expected. Which led me to think maybe the likes of The Beatles or Bowie or Dylan are worthy of the adoration they receive. I then had friend round Saturday and she put Drive My Car and The Word on a playlist and I really enjoyed both. Then I listened to Abbey Road and my god, it's great. I've always said Come Together was the only good Beatles song ever, so I figured that album was the best place to start and was pleasantly surprised by the rest of it. Especially I Want You (She's So Heavy). Oooof, that is a jam. Have since listened to half of The White album too and didn't hate it.

But yeah, since then I've been completely rethinking and re-evaluating everything I thought I thought about music and I don't know what to think haha

PauLo 26-09-2019 10:01 AM

Also this thread should probably be in the Music section now

bubbs11 27-09-2019 04:42 AM

Welcome to the parish PauLo.

I have listened incessantly (and played on guitar) Beatles songs for 30 odd years and it still sounds as fresh as ever to me. The creativity and brilliance of their studio albums from Rubber Soul onwards never fails to astound.

I know it’s not ‘cool’ to say it as it’s almost become a cliche, but the Sgt Peppers album is just a ridiculous collection of unbelievably imaginative genius.

Rubber Soul, Revolver, Peppers, White Album and Abbey Road are the stand outs, but there are so many other albums and singles too that are great. All their output was recorded in just 7 years too, from 1962 to 1969. Defies logic.

Hedgehog 27-09-2019 04:54 AM

Re: Abbey Road.... Take out Octopus's Garden, Maxwell's Silver Hammer and Mean Mr. Mustard etc. (all of track 11), and it would be a much better album IMHO... for me anyway.

Golf Boy 27-09-2019 05:10 AM

I am worried about Paulo.

Maidstoned Eagle 27-09-2019 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PauLo (Post 14927099)
Also this thread should probably be in the Music section now

And you should go and get your ears tested.

KYLIE MINEAGLE 27-09-2019 05:29 AM

Wondered when you would be along curmudgeon.

A few weeks back there was a concert to celebrate 50 years of Abbey Road. Done by members of a mixture of Aussie band members. Spider Bait. Silver chair and a fee others. It was brilliant. In a small theatre. If it ever gets to the UK go.

AJ8 27-09-2019 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PauLo (Post 14927098)
So until recently, I would have definitely been one of those annoying shits that said The Beatles were overrated. And in some ways I still do think that a little. But something changed recently. I always viewed bands like The Beatles or Nirvana as influential and I could see what they did for music, but never thought that they were worthy of the adoration they received.

BUT then I listened to Nevermind for the first time in about 20 years and I found myself enjoying myself a lot more than I expected. Which led me to think maybe the likes of The Beatles or Bowie or Dylan are worthy of the adoration they receive. I then had friend round Saturday and she put Drive My Car and The Word on a playlist and I really enjoyed both. Then I listened to Abbey Road and my god, it's great. I've always said Come Together was the only good Beatles song ever, so I figured that album was the best place to start and was pleasantly surprised by the rest of it. Especially I Want You (She's So Heavy). Oooof, that is a jam. Have since listened to half of The White album too and didn't hate it.

But yeah, since then I've been completely rethinking and re-evaluating everything I thought I thought about music and I don't know what to think haha

Abbey Road is a masterpiece in my opinion. The point has been made just before me that their entire back catalogue was recorded over 7 years or so. No other band can boast such a diverse body of music over such a short spell. The majority of people I meet who hate the Beatles seem to be disgruntled Stones or Kinks fans who think you can only like one or the other for some reason. I find it very odd, I love all of them.

El Aguila 27-09-2019 06:05 AM

Two things about the Beatles. Anyone my age will vouch for the fact that their songs were absolutely everywhere when we were growing up - they were the only artists in my lifetime who had that universal acceptance which made them omnipresent - no doubt because they had three ace songwriters on a creative purple patch and a really gifted producer, but there it is - they were everywhere in a way that all their music was part of your lived experience before you had any critical faculties with which to assess it. I think that gets between your ears and the music, eventually. It’s very hard to listen to them with new ears.
The other thing about the Beatles is, and very few bands ever make LPs without their ups and downs, though I can think of a few..... but as Hedgehog says, why didn’t someone stop them inserting the twee whimsy in every single album? It’s annoying to have to skip them and listening to them makes my teeth feel all weird. And it’s every - single - bloody LP. I put Revolver on last night, funnily enough, and there it is in the middle of Side Two. I know it pisses artists off but sometimes, they just have to be told.

Stan the man 27-09-2019 06:17 AM

Scouse gits

Golf Boy 27-09-2019 06:22 AM

twee whimsy?

art malice 27-09-2019 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golf Boy (Post 14927622)
twee whimsy?

Rapper from Dulwich

Coastal Palace 27-09-2019 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art malice (Post 14927641)
Rapper from Dulwich

:supergrin:

Olympian2 27-09-2019 07:52 AM

Quote:

Cool story, Dorking :lux: :lux:

dave_who_ru 27-09-2019 08:17 AM

Quote:

According to Wiki a colour version was shown on BBC2 on 5 January 1968. I do recall watching the black and white one on Boxing Day and feeling very disappointed.

Most of film was shot around RAF West Malling, a decommissioned military airfield, with the ’Your mother should know’ sequence shot in a disused air hanger. The actual tour was shot in Devon and Cornwall but apparently most of the footage was not used.

west country boy 27-09-2019 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Aguila (Post 14927616)
The other thing about the Beatles is, and very few bands ever make LPs without their ups and downs, though I can think of a few..... but as Hedgehog says, why didnít someone stop them inserting the twee whimsy in every single album? Itís annoying to have to skip them and listening to them makes my teeth feel all weird. And itís every - single - bloody LP. I put Revolver on last night, funnily enough, and there it is in the middle of Side Two. I know it pisses artists off but sometimes, they just have to be told.

If you mean "For No One", you can get bent.