CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The Running Thread (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=158532)

Captain Pizza 10-09-2007 04:27 PM

The Running Thread
 
I have just started running again (last week) after a few months of inactivity. I thought it might motivate me to generate a bit of BBS-based competition, much like the old weight loss threads (anyone remember those?).

I've run off and on for 3 years. I'm 40, 6'3" and just over 17st (i.e. overweight). I am looking at doing a 10k in October, possibly the Dulwich one.

I have done two 10k's before, in 2004 and 2005. I did them in 57 and then 52 minutes. I want to beat 50 minutes with this one. Last night I did 8k in 43.30, so I've got a chance if I put the effort in.

It got me thinking; what are the chances of running 10k in less minutes than your age, and what is the optimum age to do it at? Looking at the world record you aren't going to do it before you're 27 or 28 no matter how good you are......

I reckon I might get there at 42 or 43 if I can work hard.

Anyone out there already achieved this?

King William 10-09-2007 04:46 PM

http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.ph...85#post5964085

semi related thread!

Oliver V 10-09-2007 04:53 PM

I'm fifteen so no, but I can run round a 200 meter track 26 times in 20 minutes with no real difficulty, thats 5km in 20 minutes so I reckon if I pushed it I would beat 10km under 40 minutes.

Spoons 10-09-2007 04:56 PM

Im thinking about doing a 10km run at Christmas. No idea as to times or how much training I'd need to do. In fact, was thinking about starting the training tonight.

How would I measure a 10km distance to practice?

Steve in Phoenix 10-09-2007 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Oliver Varcoe
I'm fifteen so no, but I can run round a 200 meter track 26 times in 20 minutes with no real difficulty, thats 5km in 20 minutes so I reckon if I pushed it I would beat 10km under 40 minutes.
52 laps? I think you'd get dizzy and fall down first.

King William 10-09-2007 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Spoons
Im thinking about doing a 10km run at Christmas. No idea as to times or how much training I'd need to do. In fact, was thinking about starting the training tonight.

How would I measure a 10km distance to practice?

http://www.realbuzz.com/ then go to route planner.
10k is 6.25 miles if you didnt know.

im interested in keeping me minces peeled on this thread, for reasons stated on the other link.

runners world.co.uk has a list of upcoming events.
10k's disapear a bit over the winter months I believe. October seems a popular time for them - ive got one each sunday of the month with the great south 10miler on the final sunday of the month

Captain Pizza 10-09-2007 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by King William
http://forums.cpfc.org/showthread.ph...85#post5964085

semi related thread!

Yes - I nearly posted on your thread but I couldn't claim this was in any way marathon-related - I would screw my 40-year old knees up big time if I tried that. Short & sweet for me......

Captain Pizza 10-09-2007 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Spoons
Im thinking about doing a 10km run at Christmas. No idea as to times or how much training I'd need to do. In fact, was thinking about starting the training tonight.

How would I measure a 10km distance to practice?

Take a look at www.mapmyrun.com - you can click directly onto a map of yourlocal area and it calculates the distance for you. I measure all of my routes on this.

Oliver V 10-09-2007 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Steve in Phoenix
52 laps? I think you'd get dizzy and fall down first.
52 laps? :confused:

It's 26 round a 200 meter track, that's 13 laps in 20 minutes on a 400m Stadium sized track.

Steve in Phoenix 11-09-2007 08:10 AM

You mentioned 26 laps = 5k so 10k = 52 laps..

Oliver V 11-09-2007 05:02 PM

Ah...sorry. Got it now.

Tomo 11-09-2007 05:12 PM

I am about to go for a run at the golf course soon.

Captain Pizza 11-09-2007 09:20 PM

Did 5k in 27.40 tonight. Bit stiff.

as216 11-09-2007 09:30 PM

I'm supposed to be training for Beachy Head Marathon at the end of next month (with an Olympic-distance tri chucked in this Sunday too) but my back/pelvis problems flared up again yesterday - have got a physio appointment tomorrow but it's not looking too hopeful that I'll be back up and running for a week or so now.

Good to see so many others getting into it. I started running about three years ago and have brought my 10K PB down from 49 mins to 44 mins and I know I can go further. My target is to go under 40 minutes before I'm 35.

As to the question about running the distance faster than your age, there is one guy in my club who is in his mid-60's and can still knock out 10K's in under 39 minutes.

pmdavis 11-09-2007 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Captain Pizza
Take a look at www.mapmyrun.com - you can click directly onto a map of yourlocal area and it calculates the distance for you. I measure all of my routes on this.

what a great site this is! I love it!

Captain Pizza 12-09-2007 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by as216
Good to see so many others getting into it. I started running about three years ago and have brought my 10K PB down from 49 mins to 44 mins and I know I can go further. My target is to go under 40 minutes before I'm 35.

As to the question about running the distance faster than your age, there is one guy in my club who is in his mid-60's and can still knock out 10K's in under 39 minutes.

Blimey. 39 minutes in his mid 60's.

When do you reckon you'll get your time below your age then? 37, 38?

Icy 12-09-2007 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Spoons
Im thinking about doing a 10km run at Christmas. No idea as to times or how much training I'd need to do. In fact, was thinking about starting the training tonight.

How would I measure a 10km distance to practice?

Or if you have an ipod Nano you run with then you can use one of the Nike + things which calculates distance for you.

Ive been running on off and my best times over the last few months are 5k in 19.00 and 10k in 43.38

(Im 28 btw).

King William 12-09-2007 07:01 PM

Done 6.6 miles in 1hr 1 min 17 sec tonight.
Felt good, only stopped due to hamies about to explode - otherwise fine.
Speed is graually increasing for me

Icy 13-09-2007 08:38 AM

I did 6.6k in 23 mins. Need to start going further really.

Mr Statto 13-09-2007 08:47 AM

Is there anybody who runs in the Crawley area? Mrs Statto's running partner moved to Worthing a few months ago, and it's really difficult getting her to go out on her own. She was doing 10k in a little over an hour, but has probably slowed down & reduced distance since then


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.