CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Sunday Roast Thread. (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=174670)

monkoid 07-09-2008 07:45 AM

The Sunday Roast Thread.
 
Now the weather has turned I won't have to put up with all these pesky BBQ's and sundays will be returned to what is proper.....

A BLOODY GOOD ROAST.

I'm heading to Honeybrook Farm to pick up a huge slab of meat shortly for tonight.

Please use this thread to wax Lyrical about your roast exploits.... but please follow a few basic rules:

Beef = Yorkshire Pudding and Horesradish as standard

Pork = Crackling and Apple Sauce and Hot English Mustard

Lamb = Mint Sauce and peas.

Chicken = Stuffing


Ta

lanepe 07-09-2008 07:54 AM

Me & my footballer mates normally prefer a spot of roasting on a Saturday night.

the digger 07-09-2008 07:55 AM

I was saying this very thing the other day. When you go to a pub for roast dinner it should come 'properly garnished' following the basic rules outlined above. None of this Yorkshire pudding and stuffing with whatever roast you have nonsense.

monkoid 07-09-2008 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by the digger
I was saying this very thing the other day. When you go to a pub for roast dinner it should come 'properly garnished' following the basic rules outlined above. None of this Yorkshire pudding and stuffing with whatever roast you have nonsense.
Thats excactly what I'm talking about....

Served my mother in law Roast Beef once and she asked If I had any apple sauce for her roast pots....

I punched her in the face and threw her out the house.

little al 07-09-2008 07:59 AM

I love a roast dinner and get one every week regardless of BBQ weather (which is looking good for today btw)

Lamb is my favourite and pork my least favourite although I eat both.

the digger 07-09-2008 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by monkoid
Thats excactly what I'm talking about....

Served my mother in law Roast Beef once and she asked If I had any apple sauce for her roast pots....

I punched her in the face and threw her out the house.

And the yorkies should be cooked in the beef dripping, and the stuffing should be cooked in the chicken.

There's a reason why these things came to pass.

Oh and landlords, if you insist on having 4 different roasts, I insist you have 4 different gravies.

monkoid 07-09-2008 08:13 AM

Oh and landlords, if you insist on having 4 different roasts, I insist you have 4 different gravies. [/B][/QUOTE]


That is indeed a good point sir. :p

Gravy should be made from meat juices from the bottomn of the pan only.

Sussex Eagle 07-09-2008 08:25 AM

There are no such strict rules, friend. Last week I did a lamb shoulder with not only mint, but a rub with chilli, lemon, cumin, garlic rosemary and so on. Kin gorgeous. Only topped by the spuds that were finished off in the lamb fat. Phwoar.

monkoid 07-09-2008 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sussex Eagle
There are no such strict rules, friend. Last week I did a lamb shoulder with not only mint, but a rub with chilli, lemon, cumin, garlic rosemary and so on. Kin gorgeous. Only topped by the spuds that were finished off in the lamb fat. Phwoar.

That is not a traditional sunday roast... lovely as it sounds.

Please tell me how he tackled the gravy issue???

Sussex Eagle 07-09-2008 08:33 AM

He? Me. Made with the deep dark juices from the pan, natch - hence the fat being scooped off and added to the spuds. Veggie water mixed with half a lamb stock cube for the added liquid.

the digger 07-09-2008 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sussex Eagle
There are no such strict rules, friend. Last week I did a lamb shoulder with not only mint, but a rub with chilli, lemon, cumin, garlic rosemary and so on. Kin gorgeous. Only topped by the spuds that were finished off in the lamb fat. Phwoar.
Do you also have a fat tongue and talk in a mockney accent? :p

Sussex Eagle 07-09-2008 08:45 AM

:hmph: You will be killed with all the others.

Hilltop Meggie 07-09-2008 08:45 AM

Re: The Sunday Roast Thread.
 
Quote:

Originally posted by monkoid


Please use this thread to wax Lyrical about your roast exploits.... but please follow a few basic rules:

Beef = Yorkshire Pudding and Horesradish as standard

Pork = Crackling and Apple Sauce and Hot English Mustard

Lamb = Mint Sauce and peas.

Chicken = Stuffing


Ta

This is the very reason I hate going to a carvery, I can't choose which meat, I end up with two, then the horror of what to put with it, merging say, cranberry for the turkey with horesradish for the beef kills me. Such a greedy cow, next time I'm going for the one meat.

Oh - and the 'chef' put the stuffing ball IN the yorkshire pudding. No no no

sexyrazor 07-09-2008 08:49 AM

I love a good roast ;)

I make a mean roast potato........I'm going to have sausage and stuffing with mine today :)

Kevin T 07-09-2008 08:51 AM

Re: The Sunday Roast Thread.
 
Quote:

Originally posted by monkoid
Now the weather has turned I won't have to put up with all these pesky BBQ's
Yeah its been hellish hasn't it. Sunday after Sunday of blazing sunshine, basking in the heat in the garden with friends and a cold beer, with the scent of sizzling dead animal in the background.

I don't know where you've been living, but I think I've had two bbqs all season, and more than my fair share of roasts :(

the digger 07-09-2008 08:52 AM

Quote:

[i]Originally posted by Sussex Eagle [/i
:hmph: You will be killed with all the others.
Seriously though, fair play for trying something different and for making proper gravy. Not sure, however, that it would be complimented by a yorkshire pudding, or sage and onion stuffing. May I suggest some spiced carrots perhaps, or some braised green beans.

the digger 07-09-2008 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by sexyrazor
I love a good roast ;)

I make a mean roast potato........I'm going to have sausage and stuffing with mine today :)

Is Phil coming round to get his fill?

sexyrazor 07-09-2008 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by the digger
Is Phil coming round to get his fill?
:( I have missed him this weekend.

monkoid 07-09-2008 09:08 AM

Re: Re: The Sunday Roast Thread.
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Hilltop Meggie
This is the very reason I hate going to a carvery, I can't choose which meat, I end up with two, then the horror of what to put with it, merging say, cranberry for the turkey with horesradish for the beef kills me. Such a greedy cow, next time I'm going for the one meat.

Oh - and the 'chef' put the stuffing ball IN the yorkshire pudding. No no no

I feel your pain sister.

Common problem is emrging of the condiment terror

Men At Work 07-09-2008 09:28 AM

I'm making a roast at the moment. Don't think the crackling has turned out properly, though :( I'll be making proper Yorkshire puds from scratch and then a gravy from the pork juices.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.