CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Playstation 4 (Orbis) (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=232195)

squelchy18 29-03-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunter
what? of course they lose money. for example I dont buy games new anymore. I wait until they are traded in and are cheaper. More and more people are doing this and publishers are losing huge amounts of cash.

This is also why they have introduced the online pass thing for most games now. So you either buy it new or you still have to buy a pass online to access multiplayer features etc.

as for the ps4, where exactly is the OP getting their info from. Everything I have seen is that Sony and Microsoft arnt planning on releasing a new home console till 2014. I also havent see any news on most major games sites about any features of the next gen consoles. unless I missed it? Sounds like rumors to me.

They still make a **** load of cash with every game sold anyway. (depending on how it sells) Like I said, a game had to have been bought brand new before it can become used.

There's no difference to a game selling 3 million copies day one, a few people trading them in and others buying these used copies than there is to a game selling 3 million day one, nobody sells it and nobody buys anymore new copies. They make the same amount both ways. (If that made sense)

Anyway, who are they to say what we can and can't do? If I buy a new game out of my own money, that product then becomes the property of ME. I should be able to do whatever I want with it.

If I complete a game, who are they to say I cant give MY game to a friend or relative?

Funk Butter 29-03-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunter
as for the ps4, where exactly is the OP getting their info from. Everything I have seen is that Sony and Microsoft arnt planning on releasing a new home console till 2014. I also havent see any news on most major games sites about any features of the next gen consoles. unless I missed it? Sounds like rumors to me.

It's all over the gaming websites. I picked the Kotaku article because it had nice bullet points. Now it's entirely possible that those websites were using another's story that was bogus. But this thing will happen one way or another.

The fact is, with the prevelance of downloadable distribution, the retailers are becoming pushed out anyway. How much longer have disc based games got?

ffsear 29-03-2012 04:29 PM

It will prob be like with Battlefield 3.

I bought this yesterday second hand, but need to pay 8 to get a new code to play online

Chris K 29-03-2012 05:04 PM

How much better can games get anyway? From NES to SNES there was a massive jump and at the time it felt truelly groundbreaking so it warranted a purchase.

In reality now all that's going to happen is very realistic graphics will become even more realistic and you can download rather than buy a physical copy of a game. You'll still connect to the internet, you'll still be able to get Lovefilm and all that. Unless you're a fanboy I don't really see the need of an upgrade to a newer generation of console

Funk Butter 29-03-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris K
How much better can games get anyway? From NES to SNES there was a massive jump and at the time it felt truelly groundbreaking so it warranted a purchase.

In reality now all that's going to happen is very realistic graphics will become even more realistic and you can download rather than buy a physical copy of a game. You'll still connect to the internet, you'll still be able to get Lovefilm and all that. Unless you're a fanboy I don't really see the need of an upgrade to a newer generation of console

I think Sony and Microsoft realize this might be the last hurrah for game consoles, so they're trying to get one more payday in before it's over. I think the future will be just a dumb terminal that will connect to online versions of games. Like that Onlive thing or whatever.

bunter 29-03-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squelchy18
They still make a **** load of cash with every game sold anyway. (depending on how it sells) Like I said, a game had to have been bought brand new before it can become used.

There's no difference to a game selling 3 million copies day one, a few people trading them in and others buying these used copies than there is to a game selling 3 million day one, nobody sells it and nobody buys anymore new copies. They make the same amount both ways. (If that made sense)

Anyway, who are they to say what we can and can't do? If I buy a new game out of my own money, that product then becomes the property of ME. I should be able to do whatever I want with it.

If I complete a game, who are they to say I cant give MY game to a friend or relative?

If a game sells 3 million copies at 30 brand new then that's 90 million

lets say 1 million people trade that game in after its completed and its now sold 2nd hand for 20. That's 20 million the publisher loses out on.

Obviously it is morally wrong for them or anyone to put restrictions on what we can and cant do with that we have paid for. I 100% agree with you on that one. But any business is in it to make as much dough as they can and if they are allowed to do it then they will do it.

what we happen though is everyone will basically say '**** that' and not buy the new console. Which is why I highly highly doubt that Sony will do that. Not unless Microsoft and Nintendo did the exact same.

Making everything digital will happen eventually though. Cuts out Piracy and it Cuts out 2nd hand games. Not looking forward to that day as a consumer though. :(

robcpfc 29-03-2012 07:04 PM

I do think we have reached the pinnicle of gaming now and anything new will not enhance it. you are limited to what it is played on i.e. a HD tv.
Any higher spec game will be limited to the 1080p tv of now. faster chips does not mean better gaming. we have motion controllers for the PS3 and wii, kinnect for the xbox bluray players wifi internet access and lovefilm netflix and other apps built in already. 3d gaming will go the same as 3d tv's and faze out as the fad will decline.
Please tell me what NEW things these next gen consoles will do better than what we have now ?

Batsta 29-03-2012 07:15 PM

Another misfit console from Sony.

Funk Butter 29-03-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robcpfc
I do think we have reached the pinnicle of gaming now and anything new will not enhance it. you are limited to what it is played on i.e. a HD tv.
Any higher spec game will be limited to the 1080p tv of now. faster chips does not mean better gaming. we have motion controllers for the PS3 and wii, kinnect for the xbox bluray players wifi internet access and lovefilm netflix and other apps built in already. 3d gaming will go the same as 3d tv's and faze out as the fad will decline.
Please tell me what NEW things these next gen consoles will do better than what we have now ?

It will offer support for 4k resolution. Supposedly. So, you'll have to get a PS4 and this TV to get the max "value" out of it.

bunter 29-03-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robcpfc

well for starters better graphics, better physics and with faster processors more things happening on screen at any one time. And that's just for starters.

disco mixx kidd 29-03-2012 09:48 PM

Link to new Xbox thread? Havnt seen it.....

Actually where's the new wii???

disco mixx kidd 29-03-2012 09:49 PM

I'm not getting new consoles if games locked to account

Funk Butter 02-04-2012 10:35 PM

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged...003839870.html

Looks like the transfer rumours section of the papers isn't the only thing that gets ripped off from the BBS. :)

Quote:

The next evolution of home console gaming is shaping up like a dystopian Philip K. Dick short story. Refueled by the latest PlayStation 4 rumor, signs continue to point to a future in which games are no longer really yours to own, instead just a virtual right to play -- just as long as you're connected to the Internet, have a unique ownership ID, and aren't playing a used copy.

This isn't the first we've heard of this either; a January report says Microsoft's next machine will attempt to thwart used games too.
This is an interesting quote here:
Quote:

But perhaps the most overlooked element of this entire conversation is the idea of selling a game back has become such an integral part of the psychology of game buying. A customer feels much better about buying a brand new $60 game that turns out to be awful because they know there's a safety net in place that will most likely get them at least half their money back -- or more if they sell it in the right marketplace. In a world where selling back games is no longer an option, will games sell as well as they do now?

squelchy18 03-04-2012 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk Butter
http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged...003839870.html

Looks like the transfer rumours section of the papers isn't the only thing that gets ripped off from the BBS. :)

This is an interesting quote here:

The part that interests me is the quote in the first one that mentions having to be connected to the internet.

Not everyone has their console connected to the internet...The Xbox live numbers show this...About 25m users compared to around 50m consoles sold.

Or what if (as usually happens with some ISP's) the internet goes down for some time?

It's a stupid idea.

Funk Butter 09-04-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

The PlayStation 4, reportedly codenamed Orbis, may utilize custom chips based on AMD's A8-3850 APU and Radeon HD 7670 GPU, sources have told IGN, offering the combined performance of both integrated and discrete graphics processors.

According to the official product specs, the A8-3850 packs a quad-core 2.9GHz processor with an integrated graphics chip. The APU will work in tandem with the system's dedicated GPU, the HD 7670, a DirectX 11-enabled card clocked to 1GHz with up to 1GB of dedicated VRAM.

The HD 7670 is a rebranded version of last year's HD 6670, sporting identical specs across the board. If you recall, the HD 6670 is the same card that we reported will be used in the Xbox 720. The implication, of course, is that the two systems will effectively go toe-to-toe as far as discrete graphics are concerned.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/04/...ocessing-specs

I think it would be funny if Sony put their machine first to get the jump on Microsoft, then Microsoft puts out the next XBox without any of the anti-used game stuff and still wins this next generation.

ffsear 10-04-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris K

Who knows what the creative minds will come up with. If we did. we prob wouldn't be sat here right now!

Funk Butter 01-02-2013 03:21 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-3GMHIgR-U
Quote:

The WSJ is confirming what we all saw in Sony's slick video teaser for its upcoming February 20th event: Sony will be announcing the PlayStation 4. Citing the ol' reliable 'people familiar with the matter', the WSJ says that the PS4 will be announced on February 20th and be released later this year.

The WSJ also reports that Sony will try to throw in more "social gaming aspects" in the PS4, focusing more on how people "interact with the machine" than the sheer hardware power of the system. Sony had considered ditching the disk drive and using game downloads but decided that video game file sizes would be too large and Internet connections may be too slow to handle the load. Which means we can still expect the ol' disk bay to be in the PS4. The announcement of the PS4 will beat Microsoft's Xbox 360 successor to the punch, it's unclear if the actual next generation system will too. Both are expected to launch by this holiday season.

CT_Palace 01-02-2013 03:33 PM

If it doesn't support PS3 games (like the PS3 doesn't support PS2 games) there's no way I'm buying it.

Malarkey 01-02-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace
If it doesn't support PS3 games (like the PS3 doesn't support PS2 games) there's no way I'm buying it.

same

richdeniro 01-02-2013 03:51 PM

Does this locking to account mean that if I want to take my copy of Fifa round to my mates house to play then I would have to sign into his console to play it?

What happens if my mate doesn't have an internet connection?