CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Playstation 4 (Orbis) (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=232195)

Latvian Eagle 01-02-2013 04:14 PM

I think I might get a PS4 rather than the new Xbox to be honest.

Funk Butter 01-02-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richdeniro
Does this locking to account mean that if I want to take my copy of Fifa round to my mates house to play then I would have to sign into his console to play it?

What happens if my mate doesn't have an internet connection?

I think your account information will be stored in the controller itself. But you really need to dump a mate if he doesn't have an internet connection.

I don't know how Sony will be able to justify no backwards compatibility, no used games and draconian drm with Microsoft about to put them out of business.

FraserH 01-02-2013 04:31 PM

I will not touch a Playstation until they sort the online service out. PSN just cannot compete with Xbox Live and as I only really play games online that is what matters.

Funk Butter 01-02-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

The controller

Sources close to the hardware have revealed to us that PS4 will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vita’s rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use.

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

The launch

We’re told that PlayStation 4 will launch in Japan and the US by Christmas, with a Euro rollout following in early 2014, the delay attributed to the complexities involved in European distribution. Alongside the console, Sony will also introduce a new, improved iteration of its PlayStation Eye peripheral, which remains compatible with the PlayStation Move controller. Move will be available at launch, but it’s not clear yet whether it will be bundled with the hardware.

The specification

Sony has already earned an enormous amount of goodwill among studios working with PS4 development hardware. Privately, Sony representatives have conceded that the company made a mistake in creating such esoteric architecture for PS3, and its strategy for PS4 gives developers more opportunities this time around, notably because the hardware is much more PC-like in its makeup than PS3.

We have confirmed with sources that recently leaked tech specs are accurate. Though Durango devkits offer 8GB of DDR3 RAM, compared to Orbis’s 4GB, Sony’s GDDR5 solution is capable of moving data at 176 gigabytes per second, which should eliminate the sort of bottlenecks that hampered PS3 game performance. Importantly, we’ve learned that Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsoft’s 8GB.

Both platforms are driven by eight-core AMD CPUs clocked at 1.6GHz, with Microsoft opting for a D3D11.x GPU from an unknown source and Sony utilising a more capable solution in AMD’s ‘R10XX’ architecture, alongside the so-called ‘Liverpool’ system-on-chip.

It’s clear Sony has designed a system that, on paper, outperforms Microsoft’s next Xbox. One source familiar with both platforms tells us that in real terms Sony’s console is “slightly more powerful” and “very simple to work with”.

Ultimately, the performance differences between the two consoles will have as much bearing on multiplatform releases as the differences between PS3 and 360 – very little – but Sony will be expecting big-budget firstparty releases such as the PS4 Uncharted sequel to demonstrate its console’s superiority.
Who am I kidding, I'll probably get both anyway.

Neillo's Son 04-02-2013 04:18 AM

If that's the case regarding game ownership, I'd be tempted to buy an xbox once my ps3 is "obsolete" as that is taking the mick!

Funk Butter 14-02-2013 11:07 PM

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18en...jpg/xlarge.jpg

Neil 15-02-2013 07:20 AM

Fugly.

Sure it will be tidied up a lot though.

Neil 15-02-2013 09:53 AM

http://i.imgur.com/ujiepGw.gif

Funk Butter 17-02-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Ever since Sony purchased streaming games company Gakai last year, it's been speculated that they were planning to have the next PlayStation stream games. Today, the Wall Street Journal reports that is indeed the case, and that the new console will stream PlayStation 3 games.

Citing "people familiar with the company's plans," the WSJ elaborates:

The new technology, to be unveiled Wednesday along with the new console, will allow users to play games delivered over the Internet, these people said. The streaming service, they added, is designed to use current PlayStation 3 titles on the new console; the new device is also expected to play new games stored on optical discs.
FWIW

Neil 17-02-2013 10:59 PM

Interesting. Don't know how people will feel about that in countries not capable of acceptable broadband speeds.

karl.eldridge 17-02-2013 11:14 PM

http://i.imgur.com/4452jQE.gif

Neil 17-02-2013 11:17 PM

That looks a lot slicker than the proto. Where did you find that?

FishFace09 17-02-2013 11:21 PM

Any idea how much additional controllers would be? I'm assuming they'd cost a hell of a lot more than Dualshock 3

karl.eldridge 18-02-2013 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil
That looks a lot slicker than the proto. Where did you find that?

It was the second picture leak. Some guy on reddit made this from the leaked picture. But I would not be surprised if it ended up looking something like this.

squelchy18 18-02-2013 01:56 AM

I hope they install both concave analog sticks and triggers.

karl.eldridge 18-02-2013 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishFace09
Any idea how much additional controllers would be? I'm assuming they'd cost a hell of a lot more than Dualshock 3

No one can tell, they haven't announced it yet.

FishFace09 18-02-2013 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karl.eldridge
No one can tell, they haven't announced it yet.

I know but someone might have had a rough idea

Skid Row 18-02-2013 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace
If it doesn't support PS3 games (like the PS3 doesn't support PS2 games) there's no way I'm buying it.

I won't get one straight away but when a game is released on it I want that wont be released on the ps3, it doesn't give me much of an option.

I'll be keeping my ps3 anyway so that problem is really irrelevant.......until it dies.

karl.eldridge 19-02-2013 09:20 PM

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/02/1...n-event-on-ign

11PM UK TIME IS THE CONFERENCE FOR TOMORROW

Neil 20-02-2013 12:08 AM

Anyone know if they're streaming it on PSN?