CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   John Textor has joined, as director, investor and 4th partner (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=284524)

red&blue_moomin 24-12-2021 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sp1Eagle (Post 16168211)
Crystal Palace shareholder John Textor is in talks to buy Belgian second-tier club RWD Molenbeek, The Athletic can reveal.

https://theathletic.com/news/crystal.../C8oAQaApEHpR/

There we go the strategy becomes clearer. Can see a player development route from world > Belgium > European top 4 league. They're like second or something in the Belgian 2nd division. A while back Belgium and Netherlands were trying to create a combined league pyramid to make both leagues more competitive with other European leagues. If that's still ongoing then it makes even more sense. Although even if it doesn't I can see the value in doing this.

Leicesters owners own the club just above them in the table I think so clearly not the only Premier League club with some outside the box thinking. Brighton as well so be interesting to see how many worldwide football groups include a Belgian club.

Be interesting to see what happens with Montes if this goes through. Clearly given up on Portugal as a source of players and development. Belgium makes sense as a lot of good players have come from there and being involved in the Belgian system while having access to a Premier League clubs behind the scenes staff and coaches is not the worst idea.

BillyTKid 24-12-2021 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red&blue_moomin (Post 16168734)
There we go the strategy becomes clearer. Can see a player development route from world > Belgium > European top 4 league. They're like second or something in the Belgian 2nd division. A while back Belgium and Netherlands were trying to create a combined league pyramid to make both leagues more competitive with other European leagues. If that's still ongoing then it makes even more sense. Although even if it doesn't I can see the value in doing this.

Leicesters owners own the club just above them in the table I think so clearly not the only Premier League club with some outside the box thinking. Brighton as well so be interesting to see how many worldwide football groups include a Belgian club.

Be interesting to see what happens with Montes if this goes through. Clearly given up on Portugal as a source of players and development. Belgium makes sense as a lot of good players have come from there and being involved in the Belgian system while having access to a Premier League clubs behind the scenes staff and coaches is not the worst idea.

I think Textor wants a landing bay for young North American talent. He refenced that in the Athletic interview a little while ago. I'd imagine this will solve that issue, if good enough they can move on to Palace after meeting the permit requirements.

ForestGateEagle 24-12-2021 12:52 PM

Good to see long term positive thinking, with a strategy to deliver it.

Textor certainly seems like a welcome breath of fresh air, and unlike the other American co-owners, has great ideas for helping push the club forward.

Another shrewd move by the club in the summer (on top of squad and manager refresh), bringing him on-board.

In years to come 2021 could well be seen as a huge turning point in Palace's history.

Dave Hedgehog 24-12-2021 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyTKid (Post 16168813)
I think Textor wants a landing bay for young North American talent. He refenced that in the Athletic interview a little while ago. I'd imagine this will solve that issue, if good enough they can move on to Palace after meeting the permit requirements.

It's a really good interview if anybody missed this a few weeks back:
https://podcasts.apple.com/jo/podcas...=1000543023908

He also mentions that he suffered a head injury as a child, which helps to explain his interest in Palace.

dannyboy1807 24-12-2021 09:09 PM

Looks like he has purchased a stake in Brazilian side Botafogo

eagle mart 24-12-2021 09:39 PM

Palace just tweeted about a Xmas youtube quiz. And there have been 145 replies from Botafogo fans in 5mins.

Old Joe Paxton 26-12-2021 02:51 AM

Brazilians on Palace Twitter like Turkish fans when a Palae-transfer rumour occurs: numerous, persistent - but not c vn ty, aggressive or malign…

Sp1Eagle 20-03-2022 03:31 PM

U.S. investor John Textor is keen to increase his 40% stake in south London’s Crystal Palace Football Club, according to a person familiar with the matter.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic..._medium=social

jimos_uk 27-05-2022 09:09 PM

Rumoured to be in to buy nearly 40% of OL in France.

If true (and it probably isn't), he's definitely building an interesting portfolio of clubs.

Hazbaz 27-05-2022 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimos_uk (Post 16448977)
Rumoured to be in to buy nearly 40% of OL in France.

If true (and it probably isn't), he's definitely building an interesting portfolio of clubs.

Interesting depending on who he sees as the jewel in the crown if itís us then Iím all for it if itís not then not so sure

switchboard 27-05-2022 10:31 PM

Aren’t the other American owners (Chelsea ones) buying St Etienne?

Blind_Eagle 28-05-2022 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazbaz (Post 16448999)
Interesting depending on who he sees as the jewel in the crown if itís us then Iím all for it if itís not then not so sure

I get your point, it could be potentially great for us.

But itís not way I personally want Palace to grow, leaching the best kids off an overseas co-owned team is just plain wrong.

Imagine if the owners of one of the richest European clubs bought us out and we had no control of our players? Players like Olise would be gone in a flash.

I acknowledge that, having watched Palace at Selhurst for 55 years, Iím a bit of a dinosaur to most on here. Investment like this is probably the way to go, but football as I know it, is pretty much dead when this sort of shit becomes the norm.

adrenalin john 28-05-2022 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle (Post 16449176)

But it’s not way I personally want Palace to grow, leaching the best kids off an overseas co-owned team is just plain wrong.

Imagine if the owners of one of the richest European clubs bought us out and we had no control of our players? Players like Olise would be gone in a flash.

I acknowledge that, having watched Palace at Selhurst for 55 years, I’m a bit of a dinosaur to most on here. Investment like this is probably the way to go, but football as I know it, is pretty much dead when this sort of shit becomes the norm.

Football authorities need to act. Players can only be registered to one club, it has to be the same for owners. Enough of these Pozzi schemes

Wookiee_Time 28-05-2022 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle (Post 16449176)

But itís not way I personally want Palace to grow, leaching the best kids off an overseas co-owned team is just plain wrong.

If one of the "richest European clubs" wanted Olise in a flash they'd have him already. It's just a matter of price.

Of course, if that club was owned by a Textor, the price might be a lot lower.

But then we'd still have the investment from the Textor that brought Olise to the club in the first place. And presumably, the more we develop players that benefit the Textor's investments, the more money he invests back in to Palace. Financially it's a wash. Football is a business and for the investors it's about grabbing as much cash as they can as fast as they can. They'll continuously push the limits of what fans will tolerate as long as they can make more money doing it.

The big problem you are worried about is already here.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lester Bangs (played by Philip Seymour Hoffman) in Almost Famous

...the war is over. They won. And 99% of what passes for "rock 'n' roll" these days? Silence is more compelling

Blind_Eagle 28-05-2022 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wookiee_Time (Post 16450017)
The big problem you are worried about is already here.

I’m not worried in the least, I’m just pissed off. :)

Wookiee_Time 29-05-2022 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle (Post 16451110)
Iím not worried in the least, Iím just pissed off. :)

You and me both. I also agree anything that makes the problem worse is worth opposing.

BillyTKid 20-06-2022 11:31 AM

Reports from Bloomberg that John Textor is making a 90m euros investment in Lyon football club for a minority holding (valuing club at 800m euros).

The level of investment he is making in football doesn't really seem to tally with the speculation of his total net worth on the internet. Either his net worth is bigger than reported, he is putting most of his net worth into football or he is borrowing to do it.

He has also been heavily linked with making a significant investment in Benfica or Porto.

Martin H 20-06-2022 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyTKid (Post 16492657)
Reports from Bloomberg that John Textor is making a 90m euros investment in Lyon football club for a minority holding (valuing club at 800m euros).

The level of investment he is making in football doesn't really seem to tally with the speculation of his total net worth on the internet. Either his net worth is bigger than reported, he is putting most of his net worth into football or he is borrowing to do it.

He has also been heavily linked with making a significant investment in Benfica or Porto.

I just hope he is better than Goldberg and Jordan turned out to be with their personal financials. I know some moan that the other US investors are quiet/silent but give me thag and huge wealth every day vs those that like to be in the limelight every day with a loud hailer. The latter worry me that they look to leverage their assets to fit their marketed image and tip over when something goes wrong in their house of cards. Textor has been good fun so far but he does seem a little familiar and the more attention. He seeks the more I get nervous. Strap in tight.

Cliched to death but things look as rosy as I can remember for a long time and it would be Ďtypical Palaceí that after claiming the oldest club in the world that ÖÖ.

Not going to stress over it, just enjoy the ride.

Soarin' Eagles 20-06-2022 12:17 PM

Quote:

Not sure how he is able to finance all of it. Slightly concerning and grateful blitzer & harris failed in their attempt to buy Chelsea.

He must have more than the reported net worth, as I would be surprised if Parish allowed him to come on board otherwise.

Harry Holmesdale 20-06-2022 01:33 PM

What is his strategy? He seems to be investing 'little' bits here and there all across the world

Chillo 20-06-2022 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 16492679)
I just hope he is better than Goldberg and Jordan turned out to be with their personal financials. I know some moan that the other US investors are quiet/silent but give me thag and huge wealth every day vs those that like to be in the limelight every day with a loud hailer. The latter worry me that they look to leverage their assets to fit their marketed image and tip over when something goes wrong in their house of cards. Textor has been good fun so far but he does seem a little familiar and the more attention. He seeks the more I get nervous. Strap in tight.

Cliched to death but things look as rosy as I can remember for a long time and it would be Ďtypical Palaceí that after claiming the oldest club in the world that ÖÖ.

Not going to stress over it, just enjoy the ride.

And it's also less of an issue being only a part-stakeholder/owner, as opposed to Jordan and Goldberg who were sole owners.

Stavros 69 20-06-2022 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Holmesdale (Post 16492873)
What is his strategy? He seems to be investing 'little' bits here and there all across the world

Diversify his portfolio, spread risk, build synergies etc etc etc.

danpalace07 20-06-2022 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soarin' Eagles (Post 16492717)
Not sure how he is able to finance all of it. Slightly concerning and grateful blitzer & harris failed in their attempt to buy Chelsea.

He must have more than the reported net worth, as I would be surprised if Parish allowed him to come on board otherwise.

personally I'm hoping he doesn't buy any more of the club. Seems a bit too, er, "eager" for someone who might one day decide he can do a better job than what we have now

for all Harris and Blitzer's critics, at least they've left Parish to it

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o 20-06-2022 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danpalace07 (Post 16492970)
personally I'm hoping he doesn't buy any more of the club. Seems a bit too, er, "eager" for someone who might one day decide he can do a better job than what we have now

for all Harris and Blitzer's critics, at least they've left Parish to it

Also it questions his loyalties/priorities, if he has all these minor shareholdings all over the place.

daverambo2 20-06-2022 03:29 PM

I like what I have seen from Textor but I am starting to wonder if he is too good to be true. Where is his money coming from, anything from Google suggests he doesn't have enough money for all these investments.

aj4england 20-06-2022 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverambo2 (Post 16493057)
I like what I have seen from Textor but I am starting to wonder if he is too good to be true. Where is his money coming from, anything from Google suggests he doesn't have enough money for all these investments.

His futobo tv now sits at under 3 dollars a share , a few months back before the stock market crash they were nearly 20 dollars a share

costner 20-06-2022 04:23 PM

Anyone remember all this stuff about being a top skateboarder? Anyone else tried to find out about that? For no particular reason, it rang alarm bells...I found another 'top' skateboarder called Tab Textor (https://theboardr.com/profile/7734/Tab_Textor) which is odd in itself given the name is pretty unique...but nothing on him. Which, given how good and important he says he was, seems really strange to me. Probably nothing, but you know...

I'm sure it's all nothing. Hope it is, certainly.

Jim Cannon 20-06-2022 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by costner (Post 16493298)
Anyone remember all this stuff about being a top skateboarder? Anyone else tried to find out about that? For no particular reason, it rang alarm bells...I found another 'top' skateboarder called Tab Textor (https://theboardr.com/profile/7734/Tab_Textor) which is odd in itself given the name is pretty unique...but nothing on him. Which, given how good and important he says he was, seems really strange to me. Probably nothing, but you know...

I'm sure it's all nothing. Hope it is, certainly.

What is it that is bothering you about this?

costner 20-06-2022 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cannon (Post 16493303)
What is it that is bothering you about this?

Because it sounded fishy to me. He was better than Rodney Mullen, and all that. Maybe I'm misremembering what he said. It was on a podcast or something.

Happy to delete if I'm talking shite.

Nth Kent Eagle 20-06-2022 06:58 PM

Quote:

Does smack a little bit of leverage. We only have the finance figures to June 21 but just the first signs of rising debt. Nothing alarming but I will keep a look out when the June 22 figures come out next year.

Sp1Eagle 20-06-2022 09:20 PM

Get French Football News @GFFN

Breaking | John Textor now owns the majority of Ligue 1 side Lyon. More follows.

Sp1Eagle 20-06-2022 09:20 PM

Really would like to know who's backing him.

Thefunkymonk 20-06-2022 09:21 PM

Now a majority share holder of Lyon.

Not sure how this will end up. Could be very good for us.

Thefunkymonk 20-06-2022 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sp1Eagle (Post 16493966)

Yep.. because it isnít all his surely

stumpy feelers 20-06-2022 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk (Post 16493967)

How?

Thefunkymonk 20-06-2022 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumpy feelers (Post 16493983)
How?

Creates a link with a Top club in a league known for producing talent.

Thefunkymonk 20-06-2022 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sp1Eagle (Post 16493966)

See the name Jamie Salter involved. Worth billions and ceo of authentic brands group

BillyTKid 20-06-2022 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sp1Eagle (Post 16493964)
Get French Football News @GFFN

Breaking | John Textor now owns the majority of Ligue 1 side Lyon. More follows.

If he owns the majority he has just spent over 400m euros. Iíd be surprised if that was fully ďownedĒ by him.

M3 Eagle 20-06-2022 09:56 PM

Been deleted?

kabbott 20-06-2022 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk (Post 16493967)

Friendly Lyon v Palace!

Soarin' Eagles 20-06-2022 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk (Post 16494024)
See the name Jamie Salter involved. Worth billions and ceo of authentic brands group

Thatís reassuring then

Bipe 20-06-2022 11:47 PM

Perhaps someone cleverer than me will be able to explain how this might differ from the Watford model we have all been busily critiquing for the past decade?

danpalace07 21-06-2022 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipe (Post 16494512)
Perhaps someone cleverer than me will be able to explain how this might differ from the Watford model we have all been busily critiquing for the past decade?

1) There's no evidence of any of his clubs being feeder clubs for another yet

2) there's hardly been any movement of players or coaches

palace_burger 21-06-2022 06:08 AM

With all going well on the pitch I worry about texter bringing off field troubles to de-stabilise the club

Typical palace

Ryan_the_eagle 21-06-2022 07:32 AM

Quote:

I certainly donít think the amount of American money that is currently flooding the game is a good thing. Pound is weak so they get better value for money, but money is all the majority are over here for.

Jim Cannon 21-06-2022 08:10 AM

Quote:

We donít sack the manager every 3 weeks and change the squad continually? We donít yo yo between the Champ and Prem? Absolutely nothing like Watford

palace_burger 21-06-2022 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan_the_eagle (Post 16494731)
I certainly donít think the amount of American money that is currently flooding the game is a good thing. Pound is weak so they get better value for money, but money is all the majority are over here for.

With Apple putting 2.5b into the MLS they are likely seeing the Ďvalue of soccerí

LuieJack 21-06-2022 08:46 AM

WE should be thankful that Palace now have a go getter on board and long term that could well be good news but there can be no guarantees, also we must not forget John Textor is a businessman first and foremost.
Unfortunately there will be some who will view his involvement with suspecion, however that is also understandable so it's really a question of wait and see how it pans out.

Bipe 21-06-2022 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cannon (Post 16494739)
We donít sack the manager every 3 weeks and change the squad continually? We donít yo yo between the Champ and Prem? Absolutely nothing like Watford

Thanks and sorry I should have been clearer in my original question, which was really in response to someone earlier on saying that this could be a good thing for us. That would imply some sort of benefit around trading players etc, i.e. akin to the Watford model where the owners shunted players between their clubs, which was rightly heavily criticised. Otherwise if there was no intention to create some sort of global club network the news would largely be irrelevant I suppose.

Wayne Andrews is God 21-06-2022 10:40 AM

It’s a good for the club that are top of the tree. I would say Lyon are a higher profile club than us having won league championships and played in the champions league in recent times.

We may be used as a way to add value to players which isnt necessarily a bad thing.

I would prefer teams were separate entities, there has to be winners and losers among all the clubs based on what they deem to make the most profit/value from.

doogleboy 21-06-2022 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverambo2 (Post 16493057)

I have the same feeling. Doesnít sit quite right. Hopefully Iím wrong

redeagle 21-06-2022 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doogleboy (Post 16495000)
I have the same feeling. Doesnít sit quite right. Hopefully Iím wrong

Likewise. 30 odd years in the criminal justice system ha made me very cynical. But there is something about his engaging enthusiasm and his willingness to keep buying up stakes in multiple clubs (without an obvious strategy or the required financial means) that is a bit fraudsterish. He seems a little bit too good to be true, which often means he isnít. Really hope I am wrong obviously.

Stinger1 21-06-2022 03:06 PM

FT now reporting Jamie Salter is Textor's partner:

North American entrepreneurs in talks to buy Lyon in €800mn deal

Investment vehicle controlled by John Textor and Jamie Salter in exclusive talks to acquire French football club

Crystal Palace co-owner John Textor and Authentic Brands founder Jamie Salter are in talks to acquire French football team Olympique Lyonnais in a deal valuing the club at €800mn, underlining the appetite for sports assets even as the global economy slows.

Paris-listed OL Groupe, the parent company of Lyon, said it had entered exclusive sale talks with Eagle Football Holdings, a sports investment vehicle controlled by Textor and Salter.

The deal will see the team’s longtime owner and influential leader in French football Jean-Michel Aulas sell most of his stake, while cinema group Pathť and private equity group IDG Capital will also exit. If the talks lead to a sale, Eagle Football Holdings would own roughly 80 per cent of OL Groupe, which runs men’s and women’s teams and basketball operations.

The transaction price of €3 a share would value Lyon’s equity at €529.5mn, rising to an enterprise value of €800mn when including debt. This would increase to €884mn after a planned capital increase for the group’s investment needs, including building a nearby arena for concerts and events.

International investors have been pouring capital into European leagues and football clubs, a trend that has accelerated since the coronavirus pandemic damaged their finances. French teams were particularly hard hit because the domestic television deal fell apart at the same time, leaving many clubs deep in debt.

To turn things round, the league agreed a deal with private equity group CVC Capital Partners in April that will see it pay €1.5bn to Ligue de Football Professionnel in exchange for a 13 per cent stake in a new commercial entity that will market the French football league’s broadcast rights. CVC has a similar deal with the Spanish league.

Lyon finished eighth in the French top tier last season, 25 points behind Qatar-owned champions Paris Saint-Germain. But it was once one of the country’s most dominant teams, winning the title seven times, and benefits from owning its stadium and training centre, a rarity in France.

Its women’s team is also one of the most successful in the sport, having won the Champions League six times in the past seven years, while its youth academy has produced many top players in the men’s game, such as Karim Benzema and Anthony Martial. OL Groupe also owns Washington-based women’s team OL Reign, where US star player Megan Rapinoe plays.

OL Groupe made a net loss of €107mn on revenues of €177mn in the 2020-21 season. The group estimated that it missed out on €150mn of revenues as a result of the pandemic.

Textor owns 40 per cent of Crystal Palace, the English Premier League football club, and controls Belgium side RWD Molenbeek and Brazil’s Botafogo.

Authentic Brands, which last year agreed to acquire sports brand Reebok for up to €2.1bn from Adidas, is a celebrity and clothing licensing group. CVC is a shareholder in Authentic Brands.

“The project that I discovered in Lyon with Jean-Michel Aulas and all his teams will be at the epicentre of our new organisation and our investments in the service of world football,” said Textor. “Olympique Lyonnais will be the cornerstone of our project.”

US merchant bank Raine Group, which advised sanctions-hit Russian oligarch Roman Abramovich on the £2.5bn sale of Chelsea Football Club, is acting for Pathť and IDG Capital.

The sale of Chelsea was followed by US investment group RedBird Capital’s €1.2bn acquisition of Italian football champions AC Milan, one of the most successful clubs in the European game. RedBird also owns French club Toulouse FC, which will play in the top flight this coming season following promotion.

Other overseas investors in French clubs include Frank McCourt, owner of Olympique de Marseille, and UK chemicals billionaire Sir Jim Ratcliffe, whose Ineos Sport group took control of OGC Nice in 2019.

https://www.ft.com/content/60edd262-...6-636ef6a312a1

filharvey 21-06-2022 04:31 PM

There is a live stream on youtube at the moment about the take over of lyon, and John is currently talking about it and his football vision.

youtube

Also this is the other partner in Eagles Holding.

Bill Foley

Chris K 21-06-2022 04:57 PM

Salter and Foley have a combined net worth of £2.3bn

Chile eagle 21-06-2022 05:07 PM

“The project that I discovered in Lyon with Jean-Michel Aulas and all his teams will be at the epicentre of our new organisation and our investments in the service of world football,” said Textor. “Olympique Lyonnais will be the cornerstone of our project.”

That doen't sound overly positive for us

britabroad 21-06-2022 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chile eagle (Post 16495973)
ďThe project that I discovered in Lyon with Jean-Michel Aulas and all his teams will be at the epicentre of our new organisation and our investments in the service of world football,Ē said Textor. ďOlympique Lyonnais will be the cornerstone of our project.Ē

That doen't sound overly positive for us

Surely there would be 4 cornerstones:)

El Aguila 21-06-2022 05:17 PM

They play in the Champions' League most years, provide a lot of visibility.
The bloke sets off my bullshit detector like crazy, but I reckon Parish can handle the situation.

ms21 21-06-2022 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Aguila (Post 16496019)
They play in the Champions' League most years, provide a lot of visibility.
The bloke sets off my bullshit detector like crazy, but I reckon Parish can handle the situation.

Yeah as naive as it probably is thatís always what I fall back on. Iím sure he wouldíve done his own due diligence on Textor and know what heís about.

That being said, I think heís been a bit dodgy since the start.

britabroad 21-06-2022 05:28 PM

The concern is valid as we were twice burnt with Jordan and Goldberk. This bunch are different though. Firstly, they have the actual funds.

BillyTKid 21-06-2022 06:19 PM

£700m seems a big price to me for a French team (but what the f do I know).

The Saudis paid £300m for Newcastle.

Martin H 21-06-2022 06:24 PM

really good listen. It's by far the longest clip I have seen of Textor. Not too sure how the Lyons fans and french press will respond to the footage. Stunned and a little anxious and scathing respectively I would think but he is just about as far from what they might have expected as a new monied owner as you can get. His opening consisted of explaining how he had failed badly in a business venture and lost his fortune. This was part of a positive point that he was trying to paint but I suspect 80% have taken that away haing stopped 'concnetrating at that point :).

I sort of like him a little more somehow but wouldn't want him to be managing or anywere near the execution process. As a kindly investor that relies on picking good people to work with we just have to hope he does as well as he seems to have done with Steve Parish and the Lyons guy who come across very well. Can't imagine anyone knew what he was going to say in that press conference, including him. No wonder we haven't heard too much from him.

I spent most of it cringing on behalf of the people at Lyons but I just get a weird feeling that he has the money and energy to have half a chance of making this work. I guess that is his magic skill. Gets people to believe and engage. So against my better instincts I found myself smiling and liking him.
I have good and bad experience of working with similar 'entrepreneurs'. As long as he isn't making 'doing decisions' and sticks to 'cash and what to do' it might be OK :)

omph 21-06-2022 06:28 PM

I'm assuming the bulk of the cash here comes from Salter. Is this a watch this space moment with the futures of Harris and Blitzer somewhat in question?

omph 21-06-2022 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 16496248)
really good listen. It's by far the longest clip I have seen of Textor. Not too sure how the Lyons fans and french press will respond to the footage. Stunned and a little anxious and scathing respectively I would think but he is just about as far from what they might have expected as a new monied owner as you can get. His opening consisted of explaining how he had failed badly in a business venture and lost his fortune. This was part of a positive point that he was trying to paint but I suspect 80% have taken that away haing stopped 'concnetrating at that point :).

I sort of like him a little more somehow but wouldn't want him to be managing or anywere near the execution process. As a kindly investor that relies on picking good people to work with we just have to hope he does as well as he seems to have done with Steve Parish and the Lyons guy who come across very well. Can't imagine anyone knew what he was going to say in that press conference, including him. No wonder we haven't heard too much from him.

I spent most of it cringing on behalf of the people at Lyons but I just get a weird feeling that he has the money and energy to have half a chance of making this work. I guess that is his magic skill. Gets people to believe and engage. So against my better instincts I found myself smiling and liking him.
I have good and bad experience of working with similar 'entrepreneurs'. As long as he isn't making 'doing decisions' and sticks to 'cash and what to do' it might be OK :)

I was dead impressed by him and having watched the presser through I feel much better. Was amused by the "I'm a lousy CEO" line - is that not his role at Botafogo?

Talked a good talk about community. The ecosystem of a family of clubs couldn't have been any more wishy-washy.

jimos_uk 21-06-2022 08:13 PM

It's a big jump from the minority stake that he was in talks over a little while back. Curious as to whether it was opportunity presenting itself or decided to push for a controlling role.

Think that, either way, it does mean that he'll be a very busy man.

Wookiee_Time 21-06-2022 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omph (Post 16496298)
I was dead impressed by him and having watched the presser through I feel much better. Was amused by the "I'm a lousy CEO" line - is that not his role at Botafogo?

Talked a good talk about community. The ecosystem of a family of clubs couldn't have been any more wishy-washy.

I was fully prepared to dislike this guy. But he actually talks like a fan rather than an investor pretending to be a fan. If he is faking it, and he might be, he's very good at it.

For example, around 28:00 in the presser he started talking about how Football is still a great game despite being broken by money. While stating what's obvious to a lot of fans, it's refreshing to see someone who is spending that money say it so bluntly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimos_uk (Post 16496389)
It's a big jump from the minority stake that he was in talks over a little while back. Curious as to whether it was opportunity presenting itself or decided to push for a controlling role.

Think that, either way, it does mean that he'll be a very busy man.

He said he doesn't want any more control than he has at Palace. That he just wants to be a resource and help the club but not stick his finger in and start stirring it up. He also has partners with the Lyon investment so it's still not just him at the front.

The_Lyonnist 22-06-2022 12:01 PM

Textor is buying the OL, so we are your new friends.

We're glad he's coming. He seems passionate and committed.

He's going to give Ä86m. Part of it will be used for the current mercato.

Lyon is the most beautiful city in the world, especially during the FÍte des LumiŤres.

https://zionkabbalah.com/wp-content/...lleLumiere.jpg

The_Lyonnist 22-06-2022 03:32 PM

Textor has just bought the OL. So we're your new friends.

Lyon is the most beautiful city in the universe.

Paulinmorden 22-06-2022 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyTKid (Post 16496244)
£700m seems a big price to me for a French team (but what the f do I know).

The Saudis paid £300m for Newcastle.

This might be a reflection of the success of the women's team.

More importantly what happens when we play Lyon in the Champions League final. :)

danpalace07 22-06-2022 10:35 PM

I think it is imperative that we as fans keep a big eye on what this bloke gets up to. He cannot be allowed to take control of us or make us into a feeder club for anyone else. Parish above anyone else.

Old Joe Paxton 22-06-2022 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danpalace07 (Post 16498662)
I think it is imperative that we as fans keep a big eye on what this bloke gets up to. He cannot be allowed to take control of us or make us into a feeder club for anyone else. Parish above anyone else.

Ok will do

Scoot 22-06-2022 10:39 PM

Quote:

Like we could do anything :shy:

kabbott 22-06-2022 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulinmorden (Post 16498573)
This might be a reflection of the success of the women's team.

More importantly what happens when we play Lyon in the Champions League final. :)

More importantly what do I do when Palace play Lyon in the Champions' League final?
Will I wear a half and half scarf? At least I'll be on the winning team.

andyocpfc 22-06-2022 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kabbott (Post 16498735)
More importantly what do I do when Palace play Lyon in the Champions' League final?

Where were your roots and who came first, Palace or Lyon?

kabbott 22-06-2022 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyocpfc (Post 16498745)
Where were your roots and who came first, Palace or Lyon?

Fort Neef.

ms21 22-06-2022 11:00 PM

If Palace reach a CL final against Lyon I’ll be too busy wanking myself into a coma to care who John Textor is supporting.

Maidstoned Eagle 22-06-2022 11:07 PM

Quote:

You're right, Im off to compose a strongly worded letter to the Croydon Advertiser.

STOCKTON 22-06-2022 11:27 PM

It's all a bit bonkers, isn't it?

How many clubs is he involved in now? The Botafogo fans who went crazy at his arrival may very well be feeling a bit confused now. I certainly am.

Jim Cannons Moustache 22-06-2022 11:29 PM

Quote:

I think it is imperative that we as fans keep a big eye on what this bloke gets up to.

I am going to get assigned the Ďkin 2am - 6am shift again arenít I?

omph 22-06-2022 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STOCKTON (Post 16498878)
It's all a bit bonkers, isn't it?

How many clubs is he involved in now? The Botafogo fans who went crazy at his arrival may very well be feeling a bit confused now. I certainly am.

I'll be interested to see what the extent of his personal involvement in Lyon is. Rather suspect he is simple the face of the American involvement there - the one who is happy talking in front of the cameras about football and that it is his partners who divvied up most of the cash. From that point of view his personal investment there is similar to his here - so long as I'm right. Certainly while the headlines all name Textor in the presser he talked talked of it as being not a sole venture.

Interesting angle on this is that his richer buddies may make interesting partners/investors at Palace too.

Paulinmorden 23-06-2022 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kabbott (Post 16498735)

At least both halves will be red and blue:lux:

Besides can you sell your soul to the devil twice?

PurePalace4E4 23-06-2022 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Lyonnist (Post 16497076)

Lyon is the most beautiful city in the world, especially during the FÍte des LumiŤres.

Hey, no-one has responded!

Well all I can say for you my friend, is that you have never seen Thornton Heath High Street on a Saturday night.

Hello, and welcome :)

GorBlimey 23-06-2022 02:22 AM

Textor has said Lyon is the cornerstone of his interests, which puts us down the pecking order but the PL is much more important from a revenue perspective than Ligue 1.

I'm a bit confused about it all.:confused:

CP Satellite 23-06-2022 02:32 AM

Quote:

He's going to give €86m. Part of it will be used for the current mercato.

Bonjour mon ami. This is not the first time the name of Lyon has been involved in Crystal Palace FC. There are records that show Joe Lyons was a major shareholder in the Crystal Palace (the building not the football club) in the 1890s and people would often frequent his many coffee shops and restaurants all over London.

Allez le Palais!

https://i.ibb.co/DR95rn0/73554-E5-B-...-D9-F275-A.png

Norwich_Eagle 23-06-2022 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GorBlimey (Post 16499022)
Textor has said Lyon is the cornerstone of his interests, which puts us down the pecking order but the PL is much more important from a revenue perspective than Ligue 1.

I'm a bit confused about it all.:confused:

Well I wouldn't expect him to say anything else to be fair. It wouldn't exactly be right for him to turn around and go I'm going to move this player from South America, let him shine for two years in France before selling him onto Palace or vice versa.

Ultimately depending on how big his empire he'll want more than one cornerstone anyway.

Psych 23-06-2022 07:48 AM

Tbh Iím getting Simon Jordan vibes from this fellaÖ

Spiderman 23-06-2022 07:52 AM

There is some interesting facts on HOL regarding the money men behind this. I am not sure how I feel about the situation. Although a PL Club is the main source of income,

Norwich_Eagle 23-06-2022 09:39 AM

The fact that there are additional people behind Textors money who look like they have a lot behind them as well is a reassuring statement

andyocpfc 23-06-2022 10:21 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...68bd74f80d.jpg

Selhurst in x amount of years?

Little Matt 23-06-2022 11:03 AM

Good to see they offer replica shirts for the larger fans.

westsussexcpfc 23-06-2022 11:06 AM

PV's arrival has led to Palace's reputation rising and the future looks good.......a good time to invest.
Lyon have just had a bad season by their standards and things are not looking good at the moment but you would expect things to improve and the future should be better............a good time to invest.
Anyone see a pattern here, I wonder where Benfica were when he joined?

BringbackShipps 23-06-2022 11:17 AM

I think the dynamic with Eagle Holdings is interesting. From what Textor said at the presser the money he's put in to Palace is his own and the money going in to Lyon comes from other backers as well. I don't expect Eagle Holdings to put their capital in to Palace and I don't expect our three other owners to do anything with Lyon that is not in the interest of Crystal Palace. If that's the case, this link has plenty of potential when it comes to collaboration.

Longer term, Harris and Blitzer seemingly want gone and after the Chelsea fiasco you'd think Textor and/or Eagle Holdings would have looked carefully at buying them out (and probably would have done if they'd got hold of Chelsea you'd assume). I won't be at all shocked if it happened a little down the road but right now I am not worried, we are not bleeding Augsburg/ADO Den Haag/Real Salt Lake/Botafogo dry of talent and those clubs are already connected to us through our ownership, so no reason to think this will be any different. I'll take his word that we'll collaborate where it makes sense.

kabbott 23-06-2022 11:24 AM

Quote:

Qui es-tu?

Martin H 23-06-2022 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BringbackShipps (Post 16499505)
From what Textor said at the presser the money he's put in to Palace is his own and the money going in to Lyon comes from other backers as well. I don't expect Eagle Holdings to put their capital in to Palace and I don't expect our three other owners to do anything with Lyon that is not in the interest of Crystal Palace. If that's the case, this link has plenty of potential when it comes to collaboration.

Not sure thatís what I heard but not sure which is correct. It was Textorís money, only, funding the club purchases for Eagle Holdings up until the Lyon transaction but Jamie Salter etc have now joined in to fund this latest, bigger purchase. So I heard it as they have likely bought their way into Eagle Holdings. He spoke as all of the clubs being connected to Eagle Holdings and this is now being funded by all of them. I am Sure there are detailed terms somewhere about what that means in terms of shares, liabilities and so on.

I donít think that is neither good nor bad. It is just how it is owned. Understanding that the objectives of the owners are aligned with the ongoing success and development of the club is the key thing and right now thatís all conjecture. Being owned by an individual that has sunk all of their wealth into the club is a very precarious position, so I am reassured that seriously wealthy players are involved but itís their long term objectives I would rather be clear on.

What would be exciting would be a significant investment/action in growing the ground capacity etc. I.e clear signs that they are up for re-engineering the foundations (literally) of the club and moving it up the food chain or perhaps more likely, protecting the current position and incrementally improving it.

Have to say that whenever I think thru the current state of Pl owners and finances it feels like a huge bubble that will burst sometime soon.

aashman12 23-06-2022 12:43 PM

I feel sorry for HD Eagle on twitter, his # are going to be never ending.

Ogilvy 23-06-2022 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 16499601)
Not sure thatís what I heard but not sure which is correct. It was Textorís money, only, funding the club purchases for Eagle Holdings up until the Lyon transaction but Jamie Salter etc have now joined in to fund this latest, bigger purchase. So I heard it as they have likely bought their way into Eagle Holdings. He spoke as all of the clubs being connected to Eagle Holdings and this is now being funded by all of them. I am Sure there are detailed terms somewhere about what that means in terms of shares, liabilities and so on.

I donít think that is neither good nor bad. It is just how it is owned. Understanding that the objectives of the owners are aligned with the ongoing success and development of the club is the key thing and right now thatís all conjecture. Being owned by an individual that has sunk all of their wealth into the club is a very precarious position, so I am reassured that seriously wealthy players are involved but itís their long term objectives I would rather be clear on.

What would be exciting would be a significant investment/action in growing the ground capacity etc. I.e clear signs that they are up for re-engineering the foundations (literally) of the club and moving it up the food chain or perhaps more likely, protecting the current position and incrementally improving it.

Have to say that whenever I think thru the current state of Pl owners and finances it feels like a huge bubble that will burst sometime soon.

Great post and makes sense to me. A couple of things that concern me:

The leverage buy outs, we should keep an eye on Burnley next years as like us thier biggest asset was PL status - not much else (I know we have the Cat 1 but we need the headline for this to pay off long term)

10 years in the PL and no significant improvement in stadium / marketing. I would guess 80% of the PL money is in players, agents pockets

thereichstuff 23-06-2022 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psych (Post 16499363)
Tbh Iím getting Simon Jordan vibes from this fellaÖ

But Jordan didnít deliver. If he has wealthy partners then itís a lot less risky.

dave_who_ru 23-06-2022 01:36 PM

Would be good if the four main owners put out a statement on their plans for Palace given two wanted out and another one is investing in several other clubs.

Palace Graham 23-06-2022 03:42 PM

Yes, but I can’t see that happening.

Braders 23-06-2022 03:55 PM

I fear he may be a fraud, seems too good to be true tbh.