CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   John Textor has joined, as director, investor and 4th partner (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=284524)

aj4england 23-06-2022 04:47 PM

Well the value of futobo tv has dropped 80/90 per cent so the question is where is he finding this money , hope it’s not just pledges !

brooklynlou 23-06-2022 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms21 (Post 16498777)
If Palace reach a CL final against Lyon I’ll be too busy wanking myself into a coma to care who John Textor is supporting.

Personally I suspect I'll be drooling on myself as some nice young nurses aid tries to get me to finish all the contents of an unsweetened fruit cup.

Nth Kent Eagle 23-06-2022 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norwich_Eagle (Post 16499362)
Well I wouldn't expect him to say anything else to be fair. It wouldn't exactly be right for him to turn around and go I'm going to move this player from South America, let him shine for two years in France before selling him onto Palace or vice versa.

Ultimately depending on how big his empire he'll want more than one cornerstone anyway.

In investment terms cornerstone can be plural I.e. yiu can have a few cornerstone investors on a significant new project. I’m sure his interest in Lyon, as well as Palace, Botafago and Molanbeek is just portfolio investment. Will need to watch though that debt doesn’t creep onto the balance sheet as I’m sure that it will be financed by borrowing.

jimos_uk 23-06-2022 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimos_uk (Post 16448977)
Rumoured to be in to buy nearly 40% of OL in France.

If true (and it probably isn't), he's definitely building an interesting portfolio of clubs.

FWIW, apparently this is how much of his money he's kicked in, not the whole whack obv.

Friends with deep pockets.

(I believe that he's genuinely passionate about what he's doing and have no concerns over his stake with us)

RDSdaEAGLE 23-06-2022 09:43 PM

The full quote from Textor gives context that the original quote seems to wilfully omit.

“I feel a responsibility for this club that I don’t feel for Crystal Palace. Crystal Palace is very capably managed by Steve Parish and has been for many years”.

The_Lyonnist 23-06-2022 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kabbott (Post 16499513)
Qui es-tu?

Obviously I'm a barbecue.

STOCKTON 26-06-2022 01:35 PM

Am not keen on being a cog in these inter-country, cross-continent 'partnerships' and 'investments,' personally.

We have to ensure it doesn't put a dent in our identity.

I'm not going to have an affiliation with a random team just because a businessman thinks it's a good investment. Am I a Lyon / Molenbeek fan now too? No. (And what he wants with Molenbeek is anyone's guess).

I found the Botafogo link with corporate advertising of face paints, etc mid-match far too much, but their fans are genuine and well-meaning, even if there is something massively lost in the cultural exchange between our concerns and their mindless fanaticism.

Worth keeping an eye on all this.

Wookiee_Time 26-06-2022 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STOCKTON (Post 16505371)
...even if there is something massively lost in the cultural exchange between our concerns and their mindless fanaticism.

I have no idea what this means.

Blind_Eagle 26-06-2022 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle (Post 16500168)
In investment terms cornerstone can be plural I.e. yiu can have a few cornerstone investors on a significant new project.

Unless the definition of cornerstone investment has changed, are we about to be listed?

Nth Kent Eagle 26-06-2022 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle (Post 16506168)
Unless the definition of cornerstone investment has changed, are we about to be listed?

Good question. Probably not as long as the current owners can sell to another investor.

red&blue_moomin 26-06-2022 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wookiee_Time (Post 16505744)
I have no idea what this means.

Something something unjustified superiority complex.

The reality is if it's good enough for Man City then we shouldn't be turning out noses up at it. The real big money is in player development and sales. If you look at all the clubs he's actually invested in they all are sat in areas where decent to high quality professional players have come from. The other thing that will almost certainly happen is the moving of youth players around. Textor referenced Brazil and Belgium offering additional opportunities for academy players. Being able to put players into leagues in the top flight leagues in Brazil, Belgium UK and France has value from being able to move them around plus you get a huge scouting network and multiple bites at developing a super star.

Dorking .Eagle 26-06-2022 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STOCKTON (Post 16505371)

Am I a Lyon / Molenbeek fan now too? No. (And what he wants with Molenbeek is anyone's guess).

.

Someone suggested that the logic of owning a European team was that South American talent can move across to there, make loads of appearances, and if good enough for us in the Premier League, then they will have sufficient experience (played a high enough % of games in a European League) to qualify for a UK work visa to play here, because our home office have more stringent rules about who can come and work in this country.

Agree though about the other clubs - do I support Botafogo? No, not remotely interested!

To me it feels like a kid in a candy shop, the rate he is snapping up other clubs! Kind of reminds me of the wierd Simon Jordan experiment with 'Crystal Palace USA'!

STOCKTON 27-06-2022 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wookiee_Time (Post 16505744)
I have no idea what this means.

I can help you.

A few Palace fans have expressed concerns about the setup on Twitter, but Botafogo fans are just mindlessly fanatical and don't understand the nuances involved in our right to question it.

For them it's just one big party = money, an ambitious American. These Brazillians are a nice bunch, but barely stop to think. It's all somewhat lost in translation.

STOCKTON 27-06-2022 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle (Post 16506979)
Someone suggested that the logic of owning a European team was that South American talent can move across to there, make loads of appearances, and if good enough for us in the Premier League, then they will have sufficient experience (played a high enough % of games in a European League) to qualify for a UK work visa to play here, because our home office have more stringent rules about who can come and work in this country.

Agree though about the other clubs - do I support Botafogo? No, not remotely interested!

To me it feels like a kid in a candy shop, the rate he is snapping up other clubs! Kind of reminds me of the wierd Simon Jordan experiment with 'Crystal Palace USA'!

Exactly my thinking - and certainly aspects of Jordanism to it all.

I get that we'd end up with potential south American players, via this dubious, dubious trade route - but is that even worth it? It seems a far-fetched and elaborate setup just to make it easier to sign south Americans?!

It all comes at a time when we've achieved Cat 1 status and south London is producing arguably some of the biggest talent in the world. Also at a time when our transfer policy is finally robust and targeted, with Palace style players and best of the championship.

The few (frankly bizarre) benefits are massively outweighed by how gung-ho and risky this all looks.

eagleDAN 18-07-2022 05:49 PM

Every time I read an interview with him there's a always a worrying little quote or expression and a little part of me that dies.


Aside from all the flowery spiel ( most of it apparently straight out of the 'Neil Warnock guide to what to say when joining a new club' handbook ) saying stuff like "football clubs are undervalued" suggests that he just doesn't seem to get the fundamentals:

They are never 'undervalued' by us the fans; if anything we do just the opposite. But this is an emotional valuation and he doesnt do that. Hes a money man. 100%

I simply hate the idea of palace being packaged up into a worldwide group of clubs and I fear that's where this all ends.

I wish he'd just disappear.

thereichstuff 18-07-2022 05:53 PM

I agree being linked with other clubs doesn’t feel good to me. We’re palace we’re not a feeder club or part of a franchise to please textor. I have a uneasy feeling about him and his motives.

Wookiee_Time 18-07-2022 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thereichstuff (Post 16543866)
I agree being linked with other clubs doesn’t feel good to me. We’re palace we’re not a feeder club or part of a franchise to please textor. I have a uneasy feeling about him and his motives.

Maybe a bit of devil's advocate here as I don't wholly disagree with you.

The counter-point is that this is the way things are going and clubs that aren't part of these conglomerates will be left behind.

If the likes of Blitzer and Textor can put conglomerates together and manage to keep intact the core values traditions and community of the clubs involved then that's the best of both worlds.

If the alternatives are sinking a few leagues into obscurity and poverty or RedBull Palace or some shit like that, I'll take Textor.

The thing I don't like about Textor is he always seems to be marketing and never just speaking. I don't trust a salesperson, especially one who never stops selling.

Percy Dalton 18-07-2022 06:28 PM

Like it or not football is going to change & if Palace are to remain in the top tier & grow we need to be prepared for change the ESL has not gone away. Barcelona are dead club walking if they cannot tap into the new revenues ESL will bring them, Real Madrid similar although not so serious a financial position.

Representatives of Barcelona Real Madrid & I think Juventus are in the courts now trying to overturn the UEFA ban and seek financial penalties against those teams who jumped ship including the 6 English clubs involved. If they succeed and the ESL becomes a reality the financial implications will have a serious effect on the remaining EPL clubs.

IMHO there will be some fudge there always is and when that hapoens Palace need to be in as strong a financial position as possible.

palace_burger 18-07-2022 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aj4england (Post 16500002)
Well the value of futobo tv has dropped 80/90 per cent so the question is where is he finding this money , hope it’s not just pledges !

I was speaking to a friend of mine who runs a team in north America, I asked him the same question as there is potential for Textor to invest in his team.

1. He seemed to think Texter is well backed, my guess there are others in the background based on this comment.

2. He said of all the clubs including the French acquisition still made CPFC top of the food chain as the Premier league is where the money is in terms of value of player transfers.

3. He also suggest SP is ruffling a few feathers both inside and outside of the club (looking after CPFCs best interests)

4. and that the European Super league has definitely not gone away!

Percy Dalton 18-07-2022 06:36 PM

This except is from an article in the Telegraph (Saturday I think)

"In the European Court of Justice this week, counsel for A22, the Spanish-registered company created as the legal entity for the once-doomed ESL, argued that Uefa’s monopoly on organising club competitions was illegal under European law. The EU’s Advocate-General will offer his advice on the merits of the case on December 15 and the judges will adopt a decision in the early part of next year. The proviso being that, in all but a few cases, the judges go with the recommendation."

Will try and add the link to the full article.

Percy Dalton 18-07-2022 06:41 PM

The article is headed

"Debt-zombie Barcelona can only be saved by the European Super League
Catalan giants have more riding on attempts to revive the ESL than anyone given the way they have gambled with their financial future"

This was published in the Telegraph written by Sam Wallace on the 16th. Sorry cannot get the link due to blockingbut google it. Makes interesting reading.

thereichstuff 18-07-2022 06:48 PM

It hasn’t gone away.

PeterH 18-07-2022 06:49 PM

One issue that could cause a problem is playing time.

If we are starting to shift players between countries to get valuable experience - perhaps to find the next Messi - you fear that there would be some insistence in getting the lads in the first team and on the pitch. Our ncurrent modal is finding some of the best talent in the 19-23 year age range with games under their belts and easing them into the team.

How do raw 18/19 year olds with no European football experience fit into that. And if they play in our development teams, how does that impact the acadamy products and others that we have recently been recruiting. Some players will lose out to accomodate the potential influx.

If there is an insistence on them playing that will rub managers, coaches and even DF and MB up the wrong way.

PeterH 18-07-2022 07:00 PM

While we abhor the idea of an ESL, at least that closed shop one that was proposed, I think there is a fair argument about looking at UEFA's role in a great number of areas.

Even their ideas of expansion don't solve anything and just create more games. A lot of their FFP rules are a joke, as are their allowance of PSG and Man City - albeit they turned a blind eye as to how and why Real Madrid and Barcelona got into such a state - and thought it perfectly fair for them to sweep up all the talent and have the best years of Messi and Ronaldo.

I think there is more than a fair argument that UEFA are not fit for purpose (the same as FIFA).

Saying all of that, I would be opening champagne bottle if one or both of Real Madrid and/or Barcelona went bust. Despite all their problems, they still find money to re-build stadiums and try and buy players like Mbappe. They are still overspending, and it is galling that they are whining about how unfair it all is.

Juventus and the Milan brothers are another example. Wages, wages, wages - all very clever have Ronaldo, Sanchez, Lukaku etc.. No-one wants to touch some of these players now. Ronaldo will be finishing his career playing in Saudi.

red&blue_moomin 19-07-2022 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagleDAN (Post 16543865)
Every time I read an interview with him there's a always a worrying little quote or expression and a little part of me that dies.


Aside from all the flowery spiel ( most of it apparently straight out of the 'Neil Warnock guide to what to say when joining a new club' handbook ) saying stuff like "football clubs are undervalued" suggests that he just doesn't seem to get the fundamentals:

They are never 'undervalued' by us the fans; if anything we do just the opposite. But this is an emotional valuation and he doesnt do that. Hes a money man. 100%

I simply hate the idea of palace being packaged up into a worldwide group of clubs and I fear that's where this all ends.

I wish he'd just disappear.

Should we get rid of Steve then? He's been saying the club has been far below it's potential for decades. Which is a nice way of saying undervalued...... Every owner in the prem is a money man now. Steve included. The prem is a huge business now as are the clubs in it.

LesPaul 19-07-2022 02:21 PM

Socialists on here always moaning. If Textor turns us into a massive club with world class talent on a conveyor belt you'll soon drop your holier than thou rhetoric.

Stellavista 19-07-2022 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LesPaul (Post 16545013)
Socialists on here always moaning. If Textor turns us into a massive club with world class talent on a conveyor belt you'll soon drop your holier than thou rhetoric.

'Socialists'.
Don't be an arse.

eagleDAN 19-07-2022 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red&blue_moomin (Post 16544441)
Should we get rid of Steve then? He's been saying the club has been far below it's potential for decades. Which is a nice way of saying undervalued...... Every owner in the prem is a money man now. Steve included. The prem is a huge business now as are the clubs in it.

sort of, its about motives.

But potential is part of any financial valuation - he wouldn't invest in a business that's reached its full potential. it would be valued at the peak and could only go down.
That's why the likes of Chelsea still need to fix the rules to reduce risk of failure - to create the headroom to expand further. Textor cant afford that size of club.
Textor's comments makes me feel that his gamble is that Football is about the make the next big leap ( Euro leagues? no relegation ?) and if he can get a bit of that pie ( albeit a palace sized bit ) hes coining it. Sod the integrity of the sport or clubs involved.

And therefore i'm not sure that Steve's use of potential is quite the same - i think he feels the club can be more successful in winning things by harnessing the potential of the location - 'sleeping giant' and all that stuff weve heard for decades. Of course, he'll make money too - but hes got an affinity with the club & area that Textor wont .


Thats the difference as i see it.

Nth Kent Eagle 19-07-2022 03:34 PM

I think most of us who stood on the terraces against Burnley on that Friday night think there is untapped potential unfortunately it won't be realised until more fans can get in to see the games. That will require sales promotion, building of local support etc which won't happen until we have spare capacity.

thereichstuff 19-07-2022 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LesPaul (Post 16545013)
Socialists on here always moaning. If Textor turns us into a massive club with world class talent on a conveyor belt you'll soon drop your holier than thou rhetoric.

Oh **** off. It doesn’t sit comfortably with me ok.

LesPaul 19-07-2022 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 16545104)
'Socialists'.
Don't be an arse.

They are socialists though. Its not a dig I'm just pointing out that in order to improve we need to do things like this.

LesPaul 19-07-2022 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thereichstuff (Post 16545133)
Oh **** off. It doesn’t sit comfortably with me ok.

Then watch citizen smith:D

eagleDAN 19-07-2022 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LesPaul (Post 16545013)
Socialists on here always moaning. If Textor turns us into a massive club with world class talent on a conveyor belt you'll soon drop your holier than thou rhetoric.

Quite how youve jumped to that conclusion only you will know.
but.....
im not a socialist.
and i genuinely dont want us to be a 'massive club' if ManUtd is that model.

But, you feel free to go cream your pants at the thought. I suspect you already have.

Wookiee_Time 19-07-2022 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LesPaul (Post 16545144)
They are socialists though. Its not a dig I'm just pointing out that in order to improve we need to do things like this.

Capitalism is destroying football.

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o 19-07-2022 07:05 PM

And we're off...a nice old political bun fight on GPD. :(

thereichstuff 19-07-2022 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o (Post 16545432)
And we're off...a nice old political bun fight on GPD. :(

Doesn’t take much.

jamesc_24 19-07-2022 07:45 PM

I see Botafogo have signed once of West Brom Perria (sp) from Saudi Arabia. He was mustard for one season then disappeared!

Penstone Eagle 19-07-2022 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o (Post 16545432)
And we're off...a nice old political bun fight on GPD. :(

It'll turn into a pun fight soon

Palace Yankee 19-07-2022 08:13 PM

A half-baked one at that.

STOCKTON 26-08-2022 03:18 PM

We're beginning to see his game-plan springing into life through loan activity this week.

The loan of Plange to Molenbeek suits Textor, and no-one else. It's a huge step down for Plange, who was on our bench only this season and is a very good Championship player. Loan deals should be of benefit to the player and not using players as a pawn within a wider, long-term business goal...It could disrupt and confuse our tight, cohesive squad too.

At a time when the club is doing so well from its fiercely local, community-focused model, Textor's vision of multi-club globalism does seem confusing and at odds with our south London and proud vision.

laboxers 26-08-2022 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STOCKTON (Post 16614755)
We're beginning to see his game-plan springing into life through loan activity this week.

The loan of Plange to Molenbeek suits Textor, and no-one else. It's a huge step down for Plange, who was on our bench only this season and is a very good Championship player. Loan deals should be of benefit to the player and not using players as a pawn within a wider, long-term business goal...It could disrupt and confuse our tight, cohesive squad too.

At a time when the club is doing so well from its fiercely local, community-focused model, Textor's vision of multi-club globalism does seem confusing and at odds with our south London and proud vision.

From what people in the know have stated, the loan was offered to the players and they had an opportunity to accept or turn down. If they've accepted it then its their own decision. Think it was Matt Woosnam that said it.

PALACEWU 26-08-2022 03:23 PM

Wow that's quite the story, well done.

STOCKTON 26-08-2022 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laboxers (Post 16614759)
From what people in the know have stated, the loan was offered to the players and they had an opportunity to accept or turn down. If they've accepted it then its their own decision. Think it was Matt Woosnam that said it.

That's generally how loans work, right?

But no doubt Plange would have preferred and could easily have secured a Championship, even League One loan; instead of being planged into obscurity.

At a time when we're so fiercely local it is quite a bizarre and contradictory model we're involved in through this crazed businessman - definitely one to keep an eye on

laboxers 26-08-2022 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STOCKTON (Post 16614764)
That's generally how loans work, right?

But no doubt Plange would have preferred and could easily have secured a Championship, even League One loan; instead of being planged into obscurity.

At a time when we're so fiercely local it is quite a bizarre and contradictory model we're involved in through this crazed businessman.

If there were other offers on the table why did Plange not accept them then? He has made a conscious decision to go to Belgium.

Yes it's been facilitated by Textor, but Man U used to send young players to Royal Antwerp in the 90s/00s so its not like its something completely out of the ordinary

averity 26-08-2022 03:45 PM

Maybe they are giving us a loan fee as a good way of giving money without actually giving money

Eagle's Nest 26-08-2022 03:46 PM

RWDM's academy is considered one of the best in Belgium, and many footballers have come from there, notably Adnan Januzaj and Michy Batshuayi to name a few Belgian internationals as well as a few internationals for other countries.[2][3]

PALACEWU 26-08-2022 03:53 PM

Don't ruin a good conspiracy.

1905 26-08-2022 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STOCKTON (Post 16614764)
That's generally how loans work, right?

But no doubt Plange would have preferred and could easily have secured a Championship, even League One loan; instead of being planged into obscurity.

At a time when we're so fiercely local it is quite a bizarre and contradictory model we're involved in through this crazed businessman - definitely one to keep an eye on

How do you know this?, if as mentioned it was an offer to the players then why not? its character building and good experience for a youngster living in another country and playing abroad, and many other young players around Europe do this for their teams to gain more experience.

AJ 26-08-2022 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STOCKTON (Post 16614764)
That's generally how loans work, right?

But no doubt Plange would have preferred and could easily have secured a Championship, even League One loan; instead of being planged into obscurity.

At a time when we're so fiercely local it is quite a bizarre and contradictory model we're involved in through this crazed businessman - definitely one to keep an eye on

Getting a loan deal where you actually play at Championship level is harder than you seem to think for young players. People on here have been going on about how Tayo can "easily" be challenging Mitchell for LB, when in reality he cannot even get in the Coventry first team squad, that isn't a knock on Tayo it is more a realization for the player, the club and some of us that Championship football isn't rubbish and a player needs to have certain aspects about his game to make the first team. There has been no mention of any interest in those 2 players from England that I have heard of read about, but if they go to Belgium and do well we may see that interest perk up.

Ian J 26-08-2022 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ (Post 16614840)
There has been no mention of any interest in those 2 players from England that I have heard of read about, but if they go to Belgium and do well we may see that interest perk up.

There were at least two Championship clubs interested in Plange according to media reports that I have read. One of them was Coventry but I can't remember who the other one was

Sp1Eagle 26-08-2022 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian J (Post 16614849)
There were at least two Championship clubs interested in Plange according to media reports that I have read. One of them was Coventry but I can't remember who the other one was

Interested is the key word.

Did they ever actually make an offer?

Spiderman 26-08-2022 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian J (Post 16614849)
There were at least two Championship clubs interested in Plange according to media reports that I have read. One of them was Coventry but I can't remember who the other one was

They way things are going Coventry will be lucky to fulfill all their fixtures :D

aashman12 26-08-2022 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ (Post 16614840)
Getting a loan deal where you actually play at Championship level is harder than you seem to think for young players. People on here have been going on about how Tayo can "easily" be challenging Mitchell for LB, when in reality he cannot even get in the Coventry first team squad, that isn't a knock on Tayo it is more a realization for the player, the club and some of us that Championship football isn't rubbish and a player needs to have certain aspects about his game to make the first team. There has been no mention of any interest in those 2 players from England that I have heard of read about, but if they go to Belgium and do well we may see that interest perk up.

Plange was a championship player last season, he'd have got one easily.

AJ 26-08-2022 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aashman12 (Post 16614943)
Plange was a championship player last season, he'd have got one easily.

Was he? He was playing for Derby as they were in Administration.

Nth Kent Eagle 26-08-2022 06:34 PM

Stockton does not deserve the criticism he is getting because the points he raises are fair. This is a concrete sign that we are no longer a local club rescued and owned by four local businessmen but part of a wider Watford style portfolio of clubs. This may or may not matter or be beneficial or not but fans are entitled to raise the issue.

Wookiee_Time 26-08-2022 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle (Post 16614995)
Stockton does not deserve the criticism he is getting because the points he raises are fair. ... fans are entitled to raise the issue.

Fair?

Quote:

Originally Posted by STOCKTON (Post 16614755)
The loan of Plange to Molenbeek suits Textor, and no-one else.

It obviously benefits Molenbeek. If we were getting players that could jump right into the starting 11 would we be crying?

Fans are indeed entitled to raise the issue and criticize Textor. The guy's not a saint or a savior. But other fans are just as entitled to counter with arguments the other way.

The arguments that Plange and Jake might benefit from the loan are also valid. A club they be an important part of and an experience if they can see them through a promotion season.

Steve in Phoenix 26-08-2022 07:04 PM

Players often join a team because they see a role for themselves in the challenge.

There's a clear aim here that RWMD are going for promotion and Plange may fancy scoring goals for a team on the up rather than struggling to break into a relegation-bound team where the morale was rock-bottom.

Maz 26-08-2022 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle (Post 16614995)
Stockton does not deserve the criticism he is getting because the points he raises are fair. This is a concrete sign that we are no longer a local club rescued and owned by four local businessmen but part of a wider Watford style portfolio of clubs. T.

No, of course we are not owned by four local businessmen. It’s doubtful we would still be in the premiership if we were.

The Watford comment is simply ridiculous.

AJ 26-08-2022 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve in Phoenix (Post 16615040)
Players often join a team because they see a role for themselves in the challenge.

There's a clear aim here that RWMD are going for promotion and Plange may fancy scoring goals for a team on the up rather than struggling to break into a relegation-bound team where the morale was rock-bottom.

For 19 year old Plange it will be a great opportunity to experience life away from the UK, all expenses paid. Who wouldn't?

AJ 26-08-2022 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 16615049)
No, of course we are not owned by four local businessmen. It’s doubtful we would still be in the premiership if we were.

The Watford common is simply ridiculous.

One could argue we were never owned by 4 local businessmen as how many of them lived or worked in South Norwood?

st albans 26-08-2022 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian J (Post 16614849)
There were at least two Championship clubs interested in Plange according to media reports that I have read. One of them was Coventry but I can't remember who the other one was

And they offered Plange guaranteed first team action did they?

st albans 26-08-2022 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aashman12 (Post 16614943)
Plange was a championship player last season, he'd have got one easily.

Clearly not

aashman12 26-08-2022 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle's Nest (Post 16614787)
RWDM's academy is considered one of the best in Belgium, and many footballers have come from there, notably Adnan Januzaj and Michy Batshuayi to name a few Belgian internationals as well as a few internationals for other countries.[2][3]

These 2 aren't joining their academy though.

aashman12 26-08-2022 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ (Post 16614950)
Was he? He was playing for Derby as they were in Administration.

What division were Derby in?

PALACEWU 26-08-2022 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aashman12 (Post 16615090)
These 2 aren't joining their academy though.

:D

st albans 26-08-2022 07:48 PM

Pointless us sending him to a championship club where he plays 20 odd games, coming off the bench for some and scores a handful of goals

PemboExpress 26-08-2022 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laboxers (Post 16614768)
If there were other offers on the table why did Plange not accept them then? He has made a conscious decision to go to Belgium.

Yes it's been facilitated by Textor, but Man U used to send young players to Royal Antwerp in the 90s/00s so its not like its something completely out of the ordinary

And dare I say it, but it's also where a fair few Brighton purchases have gone, notably to Union SG owned by Tony Bloom.

I understand Union SG were promoted to the Belgian top league in 20/21, something I am sure RWD Molenbeek will be aiming for this season. If so, then this paves the way for future Palace academy prospects to go to RWDM when they are perhaps in the top Belgian league.

Think we have to consider both the short and long-term benefits of this Textor relationship for our Academy , certainly if it was with Plange and O'Brien's agreement.

AJ 26-08-2022 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st albans (Post 16615100)
Pointless us sending him to a championship club where he plays 20 odd games, coming off the bench for some and scores a handful of goals

I did a quick look at the u20 players from the PL on loan at Championship teams and this is the best list I could come up with, the clubs they are at and the Championship games played so far. It was interesting as most loan players in the Championship were over 21 and the younger players were lge1 and lower.

Man City
Liam Delap (19) - Stoke (1 app)
James McAtee (19) - Sheff U (1 app)
Callum Doyle (19) - Coventry (0 apps)

Arsenal
Salah-Eddine Oulad M'Hand (19) Hull (0 apps)
Charlie Patino (18) - Blackpool (0 apps)
Brooke Norton-Cuffy (18) - Rotherham (0 apps)

Chelsea
Levi Colwill (19) - Brighton (1 app)

Aston Villa
Aaron Ramsey (19) - Norwich (3 apps)
Kaine Kesler-Hayden (19) - Huddersfield (0 apps)

Man United
Álvaro Fernández (19) - Preston (2 apps)

Liverpool
Tyler Morton (19) - Blackburn (4 apps)

Crystal Palace
Tayo Adaramola (18) - Coventry (0 apps)

Ian J 27-08-2022 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st albans (Post 16615076)
And they offered Plange guaranteed first team action did they?

Did Molenbeek?

The two Textor players that we bought last year and immediately loaned to Molenbeek certainly didn't see much action at all

Carlise Few 27-08-2022 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STOCKTON (Post 16614755)
We're beginning to see his game-plan springing into life through loan activity this week.

The loan of Plange to Molenbeek suits Textor, and no-one else. It's a huge step down for Plange, who was on our bench only this season and is a very good Championship player. Loan deals should be of benefit to the player and not using players as a pawn within a wider, long-term business goal...It could disrupt and confuse our tight, cohesive squad too.

At a time when the club is doing so well from its fiercely local, community-focused model, Textor's vision of multi-club globalism does seem confusing and at odds with our south London and proud vision.

Completely agree with all this. However I've also enjoyed watching players like Anderson over the last year and we would not have been able to afford players like him without Textor's investment.

Ruskin Old Boy 27-08-2022 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STOCKTON (Post 16614755)
We're beginning to see his game-plan springing into life through loan activity this week.

The loan of Plange to Molenbeek suits Textor, and no-one else. It's a huge step down for Plange, who was on our bench only this season and is a very good Championship player. Loan deals should be of benefit to the player and not using players as a pawn within a wider, long-term business goal...It could disrupt and confuse our tight, cohesive squad too.

At a time when the club is doing so well from its fiercely local, community-focused model, Textor's vision of multi-club globalism does seem confusing and at odds with our south London and proud vision.

^^^^ this.

churley1988 27-08-2022 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian J (Post 16615433)
Did Molenbeek?

The two Textor players that we bought last year and immediately loaned to Molenbeek certainly didn't see much action at all

It was pretty clear neither of them were going to make it from the moment we “signed” them.

Plange on the other hand, clearly has something about him. I still don’t think a Championship move would have been the best move for him, he only got the chance to play in it last season because of financial reasons but did reasonably well.

As others have said though, keep in mind Bloom does this with Brighton signings and some of them cost close to £10 million a piece. It’s part of the long game, even if this is definitely a transitional season given the standard Molenbeek will be playing at.

meee 27-08-2022 11:12 AM

I'm with STOCKTON on this. I have very little time for clubs that are essentially turning into worldwide corporations.

I get the Union SG comparison but they have had Champions League and now Europa League football this season and since when did we want to emulate how Tony Bloom runs a club?

desperado 27-08-2022 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ (Post 16615197)
I did a quick look at the u20 players from the PL on loan at Championship teams and this is the best list I could come up with, the clubs they are at and the Championship games played so far. It was interesting as most loan players in the Championship were over 21 and the younger players were lge1 and lower.

Man City
Liam Delap (19) - Stoke (1 app)
James McAtee (19) - Sheff U (1 app)
Callum Doyle (19) - Coventry (0 apps)

Arsenal
Salah-Eddine Oulad M'Hand (19) Hull (0 apps)
Charlie Patino (18) - Blackpool (0 apps)
Brooke Norton-Cuffy (18) - Rotherham (0 apps)

Chelsea
Levi Colwill (19) - Brighton (1 app)

Aston Villa
Aaron Ramsey (19) - Norwich (3 apps)
Kaine Kesler-Hayden (19) - Huddersfield (0 apps)

Man United
Álvaro Fernández (19) - Preston (2 apps)

Liverpool
Tyler Morton (19) - Blackburn (4 apps)

Crystal Palace
Tayo Adaramola (18) - Coventry (0 apps)



I like the fact that you have included Colwill's move to Brighton as a loan to a Championship club :p

red&blue_moomin 27-08-2022 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meee (Post 16615803)
I'm with STOCKTON on this. I have very little time for clubs that are essentially turning into worldwide corporations.

I get the Union SG comparison but they have had Champions League and now Europa League football this season and since when did we want to emulate how Tony Bloom runs a club?

Because it works. Idiotic tribalism shouldn't stop you implementing something that is showing results.

We're one of the 30 richest clubs in the world we have been for a long time. Last time I checked we were 24th. We have fans that travel to watch us from the US and the nordics now. Somehow we're the 10th most popular Prem club in the US. We have fans in Australia. Dougie has a world wide scouting network now, he now does a lot of work with both Botafogo and the Belgian club you're complaining about. Where do think all the data and scouting is coming from. It's not an accident that these clubs are all in youth development hotspots. Even with all that the way the football world is going IF we don't do this then we will quickly find access to players cut off as transfer fees get stupider and stupider. Wolves take advantage of this with Mendes. I'd rather our version of it has Dougie sat at the centre of it than some random agent.

The most egregious example of this just happened. Newcastle just spent £63M on a bloke that scored 9, 17, 6 in La Liga.....£63M for a bloke that hasn't even proved he's a 1 in 3 striker in a top league. He's cost over double what Benteke did with very little consistent evidence that he's going to be the next Haaland and we know what happened with CB...There's no guarantee that it's going to happen but we might end up with Aouar at the club down to Textor and his ownership of Olympique Lyon. That we're even in the conversation is down to those links. I suspect if we can't get Conor then we may well turn to him.

I suspect the real problem with Textor is writ large in his approach to Botafogo. He's trying to get a promoted club to play fluid possession football in the top Brazillian league with a team that played last season with a deep block on the counter....sound familiar....if it works happy days if it doesn't relegation time...I'm not sure how much of a pragmatist Textor is, he comes off as overly idealistic more silicon valley can do, than what you might actually need for such a transition.

laboxers 30-08-2022 02:20 PM

Had a brief conversation with a RWDM fan on Facebook. Asked him on his view on the loans they're getting and the Textor link-up as well as some insights on their youth team. This was his response....

First of all a bit of context on RWDM. They were champion in 1975 and made it to the semifinals of the UEFA cup in 1977.
RWDM was the result of the merger of 2 teams in Brussels, being Daring Molenbeek (hence the “DM”) and “Racing White” (RW). They continued to play in the stadium of DM because that had been a much more popular team (and the oldest team in Brussels and the 2nd oldest in Belgium (since 1895) and had been 5 time Belgian Football Champion .
Because the main sponsor and president of RWDM went broke (due to late payments of Brussels local government), RWDM got into financial troubles. However , the team managed to remain successful and popular and attract young players who were very often sold at a very young age and became stars at other teams .
Back to 2022. Because of bankruptcy in 2014, the team had to climb from its restart in 2015 to its current position.
Last season we almost made it to the top Belgian league (1A). We ended as the 2nd and could not get promotion to 1A.
This season our team management , the press and even our adversaries are crying us out as the team that should become the winner of the 1B league and should promote to 1A, the top league.

As mentioned RWDM has produced a lot of talented young players. The most recent examples are Michy Batshuayi (Chelsea), Adnan Januzaj (previously Manchester United, now Real Sociedad). Kouyate also came through with them too.

RWDM gets every year a lot of fresh talents since its stadion is situated in an area that is densely crowded and with the 2nd youngest population of Belgium.

The strategy with the loans from Crystal and Botafogo is that these players will be playing a lot to secure our league title and win even games from teams in 1A during cup matches. The trainer , Vincent Euvrard, is a young clever trainer who managed last season to become 2nd with probably the 2nd weakest team in the beginning of the season .

Martin H 30-08-2022 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laboxers (Post 16622430)
Had a brief conversation with a RWDM fan on Facebook. Asked him on his view on the loans they're getting and the Textor link-up as well as some insights on their youth team. This was his response....
.....st season to become 2nd with probably the 2nd weakest team in the beginning of the season .[/I]

Thanks - that's really interesting insight.

Glɑzier 30-08-2022 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ (Post 16615197)
I did a quick look at the u20 players from the PL on loan at Championship teams and this is the best list I could come up with, the clubs they are at and the Championship games played so far. It was interesting as most loan players in the Championship were over 21 and the younger players were lge1 and lower.

Man City
Liam Delap (19) - Stoke (1 app)
James McAtee (19) - Sheff U (1 app)
Callum Doyle (19) - Coventry (0 apps)

Arsenal
Salah-Eddine Oulad M'Hand (19) Hull (0 apps)
Charlie Patino (18) - Blackpool (0 apps)
Brooke Norton-Cuffy (18) - Rotherham (0 apps)

Chelsea
Levi Colwill (19) - Brighton (1 app)

Aston Villa
Aaron Ramsey (19) - Norwich (3 apps)
Kaine Kesler-Hayden (19) - Huddersfield (0 apps)

Man United
Álvaro Fernández (19) - Preston (2 apps)

Liverpool
Tyler Morton (19) - Blackburn (4 apps)

Crystal Palace
Tayo Adaramola (18) - Coventry (0 apps)

A minor amendment perhaps (Trolley/Willo would be proud though!) in that Adaramola has actually had one appearance for Coventry in the league cup. He was subbed at half time but showed flashes of his ability from what I heard.

Dorking .Eagle 15-09-2022 11:06 AM

John Textor is still trying to get together the funds to aquire the French club, Lyon

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com...on-aquisition/

Is anyone else finding the rapid rate he is trying to buy numerous clubs somewhat strange?

GreatGonzo 15-09-2022 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle (Post 16652228)
John Textor is still trying to get together the funds to aquire the French club, Lyon

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com...on-aquisition/

Is anyone else finding the rapid rate he is trying to buy numerous clubs somewhat strange?

His interest in Lyon isn't new. He has been looking at acquiring them for many months.

On the Molenbeek loan issue, they have 6 players on loan from Botofogo, no doubt they are trying to get promoted this season using the loan players.

Nth Kent Eagle 15-09-2022 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle (Post 16652228)
John Textor is still trying to get together the funds to aquire the French club, Lyon

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com...on-aquisition/

Is anyone else finding the rapid rate he is trying to buy numerous clubs somewhat strange?

"Trying to find the funds"? That's not encouraging.

GreatGonzo 15-09-2022 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle (Post 16652247)
"Trying to find the funds"? That's not encouraging.

Its not all his money, he has other people who invest with him I believe.

David of Kent 15-09-2022 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laboxers (Post 16622430)
Had a brief conversation with a RWDM fan on Facebook. Asked him on his view on the loans they're getting and the Textor link-up as well as some insights on their youth team. This was his response....

First of all a bit of context on RWDM. They were champion in 1975 and made it to the semifinals of the UEFA cup in 1977.
RWDM was the result of the merger of 2 teams in Brussels, being Daring Molenbeek (hence the “DM”) and “Racing White” (RW). They continued to play in the stadium of DM because that had been a much more popular team (and the oldest team in Brussels and the 2nd oldest in Belgium (since 1895) and had been 5 time Belgian Football Champion .
Because the main sponsor and president of RWDM went broke (due to late payments of Brussels local government), RWDM got into financial troubles. However , the team managed to remain successful and popular and attract young players who were very often sold at a very young age and became stars at other teams .
Back to 2022. Because of bankruptcy in 2014, the team had to climb from its restart in 2015 to its current position.
Last season we almost made it to the top Belgian league (1A). We ended as the 2nd and could not get promotion to 1A.
This season our team management , the press and even our adversaries are crying us out as the team that should become the winner of the 1B league and should promote to 1A, the top league.

As mentioned RWDM has produced a lot of talented young players. The most recent examples are Michy Batshuayi (Chelsea), Adnan Januzaj (previously Manchester United, now Real Sociedad). Kouyate also came through with them too.

RWDM gets every year a lot of fresh talents since its stadion is situated in an area that is densely crowded and with the 2nd youngest population of Belgium.

The strategy with the loans from Crystal and Botafogo is that these players will be playing a lot to secure our league title and win even games from teams in 1A during cup matches. The trainer , Vincent Euvrard, is a young clever trainer who managed last season to become 2nd with probably the 2nd weakest team in the beginning of the season .

I knew most of this, but it was still interesting to see. I'm trying to be positive about the loans of O'Brien and, in particular, Plange. Yes for Luke it is a step down from where he was playing last season. What he may have lost in development as a footballer against more skilled opposition, he may have gained in his development as a young man living abroad and in scoring (hopefully) a lot of goals to boost his confidence. He will, after all, only be 20 when he returns.

The chief positive for us from this move is if it leads to RWD getting promoted. If that does the trick then RWD would become a very attractive location for us to send young players on loan.

Martin H 15-09-2022 11:56 AM

Re the looking for funds. I have only skimmed things and may have got the wrong impression but Textors ‘group’ has bought Lyons already but I think the additional funds being referenced is reduce the clubs existing debt to banks etc. There was also some reference to the club having made certain ‘investments’ with some of those loans that don’t pay back for a couple of years (no idea but assume ground/infrastructure?) and this is about reducing the debt burden in the short term. Care because it was a skim and have no idea re the source. The point being that this isn’t about buying the club, but more about reducing the other claims against the club. Also not sure that he is scrambling around, more that it is the intention to do that.

Nth Kent Eagle 15-09-2022 12:03 PM

Not sure you are right Martin. The article above implies he has not yet bought out some of the owners.

Martin H 15-09-2022 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle (Post 16652323)
Not sure you are right Martin. The article above implies he has not yet bought out some of the owners.

I hadn't read the text when I posted just a post but had literally just seen some info (as referenced). I agree that article is about the completion of those original purchases.

Eagle and Textor have invested a lot of reputation by announcing it all before completion. Eagle being his partnership with amongst others the billionaire brand dude (can't remember his name). It's never done until it's done and with football clubs, it wouldn't be the first purchase to fall apart but I suspect this goes through and this has more to do with final funders cutting their best deals. Never easy and this is where these guys earn their money as they age dramatically on a daily basis until it's done. :)

Never had that sort of problem in the first place :) (i.e. that level of wealth) but I can't imagine it's this bit of their lives that many envy. Sounds good but likely only good after the event.

CP-RJW 15-09-2022 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle (Post 16652247)
"Trying to find the funds"? That's not encouraging.

Isn’t that just the nature of incredibly rich people making incredibly expensive investments? You don’t have a big vault of money like Scrooge McDuck, it’s mostly tied to assets and shares, so you have to “find the funds” from them.

BillyTKid 15-09-2022 01:58 PM

If stuff on the internet is to be believed John Textor isn't actually that wealthy. In the world of billionaire football owners at least. His total net worth is estimated at below £200m and that's very unlikely to be all sitting in cash and liquid investments. So it would follow that the majority of the investments he is making in football will be largely funded by business partners or loans.

Sp1Eagle 15-09-2022 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatGonzo (Post 16652252)
Its not all his money, he has other people who invest with him I believe.

Who are these other people then? He appears to have invested into Palace on his own but other clubs as part of a group.

aashman12 15-09-2022 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatGonzo (Post 16652252)
Its not all his money, he has other people who invest with him I believe.

In footballing terms he has **** all money

Martin H 15-09-2022 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sp1Eagle (Post 16652412)
Who are these other people then? He appears to have invested into Palace on his own but other clubs as part of a group.

From what I remember that is the case. He set up this Eagle group as a vehicle to bring investors together to buy clubs like Lyons etc. His main (maybe his only) participant is Jamie Salter (canadian billionaire) who owns Authentic brands and interesting company

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authen...roup#Portfolio

BillyTKid 16-09-2022 01:12 PM

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...Eagle-Football

Sp1Eagle 16-09-2022 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyTKid (Post 16653087)

The Foley who's about to buy Bournemouth?

JannerEagle 16-09-2022 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyTKid (Post 16653087)

Established in 1861! :p (proposals sound a bit scary though!)

BillyTKid 16-09-2022 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sp1Eagle (Post 16653107)
The Foley who's about to buy Bournemouth?

Yes I believe so.

Nth Kent Eagle 16-09-2022 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyTKid (Post 16653087)

"Unique monetization opportunities" and credit facilities up to 523m euros?

palace_burger 17-09-2022 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyTKid (Post 16652403)
If stuff on the internet is to be believed John Textor isn't actually that wealthy. In the world of billionaire football owners at least. His total net worth is estimated at below £200m and that's very unlikely to be all sitting in cash and liquid investments. So it would follow that the majority of the investments he is making in football will be largely funded by business partners or loans.

A be pal of mine who runs a club overseas told me his club had spoken to Texter about his possibly investing (can’t say whom for obvious reasons)

He stated

1- the people behind Texter has serious money
2- Palace would be top of the chain. Players with premier league are worth the most
3- virtually all clubs in the world now are already or are planning to be getting involved in similar pyramids

Johnintheusa1 17-09-2022 03:31 AM

This is buzzword bingo right here:
With this planned integrated portfolio of powerful teams and brands, Eagle will leverage the technology and media expertise of its leaders to disrupt the industry’s status quo and increase the value of its teams and loyal audiences

Integrated, portfolio, leverage, disrupt, audiences....

GorBlimey 17-09-2022 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sp1Eagle (Post 16653107)
The Foley who's about to buy Bournemouth?


Surely some of these cross-ownership situations will fall foul of PL/FA rules?

Dorking .Eagle 17-09-2022 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GorBlimey (Post 16653525)
Surely some of these cross-ownership situations will fall foul of PL/FA rules?

More likely UEFA rules?

What if 2 clubs in the same ownership meet each other in a european competition? It's like when Robert Maxwell wanted to own Oxford AND Derby. (in the end, he made his son the owner of Derby I believe)


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.