CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   John Textor has joined, as director, investor and 4th partner (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=284524)

SOUTHGATE EAGLE 11-08-2021 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro (Post 15939524)
My point is that the Americans invested in our club and seem to have pretty much let SP get on with it. The 'denigrated' squad they've financed has secured multiple comfortable finishes in the PL, and also financed the upheaval of said squad.

You seem to have an opinion that the performance and intention of 'American investors' in English football are all the same, whereas I am preferring to solely look at our beloved, benevolent uncle Sams in isolation.

I am very happy with their contribution, even if it's not as good as the ones you prefer that they have seemingly cockblocked from our club.

Once again, thank you, Americans

I never said I saw all Americans as 'all the same' or that I wanted them 'cockblocked'. Please, you clearly want to compete against my point but let's not Straw Man. That is done when someone realizes they are losing a debate, especially one they started and has insisted on continuing.

I originally stated that I feel, generally, that Americans have been harmful to the 'soul' of our sport. As I have stated before, if you wish to disagree with that generalization, then have the courage to do so explicitly. Say that Americans, in general, have been good for football and make a case.

But please don't think you have the right to disagree with my larger point, refuse to agree to 'call it a draw,' as I offered, keep arguing with me and, all the while, also deciding to exclude discussing ( or defending ) the recent, appalling behaviour of American investors within the Premier League. That's not right.

I say American investors are harming the game. My POV isn't affected by any positive examples of American investment that may exist, if the bulk of what they do is harmful. If the attempted EPL breakaway ( spearheaded by Americans ) and what it would have done to the entire football pyramid isn't enough to justify my original opinion then all I can say is you are at odds with the sentiment of most football fans.

Sorry, but you started this. I tried to walk away and you persisted. So I'm not now going to let you separate and jettison the more indisputable parts of my original opinion to try to insist you are right. I didn't want this little competition you started and so now you need to either state that Americans are a universal good for football or stop trying to justify pursuing and disputing my original post the way you have done. Remember, I offered to just call it a 'draw' but that wasn't good enough for you.

So which is it? Are Americans a universal good for football or will you finally leave me alone? Please don't continue to tell me I'm wrong while ignoring the most fundamental part of my argument.

Not that you make a much better point by your weak insistence that 'our' Americans have been benevolent and our saviours. ( as if that means ALL Americans are above reproach ) Our squad HAS been allowed to denigrate, particularly in midfield. It was Zaha, our defense and Roy who did far more to keep us up than the Americans. They have not dragged us up by our bootstraps, as any analysis of our spending for three years has shown. Roy kept us up despite the investment the Yanks sanctioned, not because of it.

So, no, I won't be thanking the Americans for buying into our club and then starving Roy of the ability to keep us up -outside of playing the painful and limited version of Royball he had no choice but to employ for our survival.

Similarly, I won't thank Americans ( or the Sheiks or Oligarchs either ) for the general state of the greed in our game -much of it created by the ruthless business mindset of Americans.

If others want to be halfway to chanting 'USA! USA! USA!' then that's their business. But, please, either stop arguing with my opinion or have the honesty to argue with the much more indisputable aspects of my original post -that Americans have been instrumental in ruining the spirit of football.

I'm inviting you again to call this a draw. I don't need you to agree with me and I never wanted this debate. But unless you want to end it here, then you will need to at least attempt to defend what has been going on in football this last year, based mainly on American influence. You can't separate that aspect from my original post, unless you simply want to disagree for the sake of it?

Vince Hilaire's Afro 11-08-2021 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garfy (Post 15939576)
I almost feel sorry for Steve P as a relative pauper in their company!

How does one measure wealth? Have any of these billionaires woken up to the alluring smile or the fragrant meadow smell of Susanna Reid's beautiful, shiny hair?

Vince Hilaire's Afro 11-08-2021 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE (Post 15939589)
I never said I saw all Americans as 'all the same' or that I wanted them 'cockblocked'. Please, you clearly want to compete against my point but let's not Straw Man. That is done when someone realizes they are losing a debate, especially one they started and has insisted on continuing.

I originally stated that I feel, generally, that Americans have been harmful to the 'soul' of our sport. As I have stated before, if you wish to disagree with that generalization, then have the courage to do so explicitly. Say that Americans, in general, have been good for football and make a case.

But please don't think you have the right to disagree with my larger point, refuse to agree to 'call it a draw,' as I offered, keep arguing with me and, all the while, also deciding to exclude discussing ( or defending ) the recent, appalling behaviour of American investors within the Premier League. That's not right.

I say American investors are harming the game. My POV isn't affected by any positive examples of American investment that may exist, if the bulk of what they do is harmful. If the attempted EPL breakaway ( spearheaded by Americans ) and what it would have done to the entire football pyramid isn't enough to justify my original opinion then all I can say is you are at odds with the sentiment of most football fans.

Sorry, but you started this. I tried to walk away and you persisted. So I'm not now going to let you separate and jettison the parts of my original opinion to try to insist you are right. I didn't want this little competition you started and so now you need to either state that Americans are a universal good for football of stop trying to justify pursuing and disputing my original post the way you have done. Remember, I offered to just call it a 'draw' but that wasn't good enough for you.

So which is it? Are Americans a universal good for football or will you finally leave me alone? Please don't continue to tell me I'm wrong while ignoring the most fundamental part of my argument.

Not that you make a much better point by your weak insistence that 'our' Americans have been benevolent and our saviours. ( as if that means ALL Americans are above reproach ) Our squad HAS been allowed to denigrate, particularly in midfield. It was Zaha, our defense and Roy who did far more to keep us up than the Americans. They have not dragged us up by our bootstraps, as any analysis of our spending for three years has shown. Roy kept us up despite the investment the Yanks sanctioned, not because of it.

So, no, I won't be thanking the Americans for buying into our club and then starving Roy of the ability to keep us up -outside of playing the painful and limited version of Royball he had no choice but to employ for our survival.

Similarly, I won't thank Americans ( or the Sheiks or Oligarchs either ) for the general state of the greed in our game -much of it created by the ruthless business mindset of Americans.

If others want to be halfway to chanting 'USA! USA! USA!' then that's their business. But, please, either stop arguing with my opinion or have the honesty to argue with the much more indisputable aspects of my original post -that Americans have been instrumental in ruining the spirit of football.

I'm inviting you again to call this a draw. I don't need you to agree with me and I never wanted this debate. But unless you want to end it here, then you will need to at least attempt to defend what has been going on in football this last year, based mainly on American influence. You can't separate that aspect from my original post because, unless you simply want to disagree for the sake of it?

I can't read this, is there an edited version?

Slyda 11-08-2021 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms21 (Post 15939564)
Fair enough. Reports back in June(?) suggested he wasn’t a billionaire.

His company was valued at 3.2 billion, not him personally.

ms21 11-08-2021 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slyda (Post 15939594)
His company was valued at 3.2 billion, not him personally.

That would make him a billionaire of course, not sure many billionaires have billions in the bank, but what company are you referring to here and is it still worth that?

baldeagle 11-08-2021 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnsonpen (Post 15939586)
One of the better papers said he HAD been looking to invest in Benfica




https://www.johntextor.org/sl-benfic...6-update-final

El Aguila 11-08-2021 08:19 PM

He’s comfortable. Put it that way.

El Aguila 11-08-2021 08:20 PM

“Not short of a few bob”.

El Aguila 11-08-2021 08:21 PM

He could probably afford Adlers helping out with his tax affairs.

Garfy 11-08-2021 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Aguila (Post 15939600)
He’s comfortable. Put it that way.

It makes Goldberg & Jordan look very lower league

Slyda 11-08-2021 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms21 (Post 15939597)
That would make him a billionaire of course, not sure many billionaires have billions in the bank, but what company are you referring to here and is it still worth that?

Telegraph article states: "His Facebank company is valued currently at $4.5billion [£3.2 billion]."

SOUTHGATE EAGLE 11-08-2021 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro (Post 15939592)
I can't read this, is there an edited version?

Here it is; either stop arguing with my POV that Americans have been harmful to the game or stop conveniently ignoring the my point about the greed they have introduced and their attempts to shatter our league and football pyramid this year. Alternatively, just call it a draw, as I have offered you three times now.

Even shorter; you argued a persistent yet weak argument and lost. So are now trying everything to avoid an honest debate that you started and refused to let me walk from.

Shorter still; f*ck off.

Choose whichever answer you like. You are being a real twat, today.

ZahaVBrighton 11-08-2021 08:27 PM

He must be rich as, according to cpfc.co.uk, he has an office on Jupiter..

ms21 11-08-2021 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slyda (Post 15939607)
Telegraph article states: "His Facebank company is valued currently at $4.5billion [£3.2 billion]."

Seems that company merged with another company called FuboTV

ZahaVBrighton 11-08-2021 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beef (Post 15939375)
Are Benfica that good? That league is probably equivalent to league 2

Sold a billion pounds worth of players the last 10 years so are doing something right.

Bounce back 11-08-2021 08:32 PM

One day too late , we just missed messi
Hope you love our club John and cherish it like we do
Well done to Steve and the other owner for pushing the club forward

Vince Hilaire's Afro 11-08-2021 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE (Post 15939609)
Here it is; either stop arguing with my POV that Americans have been harmful to the game or stop conveniently ignoring the my point about the greed they have introduced and their attempts to shatter our league and football pyramid this year. Alternatively, just call it a draw, as I have offered you three times now.

Even shorter; you argued a persistent yet weak argument and lost. So are now trying everything to avoid an honest debate that you started and refused to let me walk from.

Shorter still; f*ck off.

Choose whichever answer you like. You are being a real twat, today.

What a strange post. Surely the only complaint that people have had against our investors (American or not) is that they haven't introduced enough greed. To my knowledge, they've not tried to shatter the league's structure, so your obsession with their American-ness is somewhat odd.

All you have to do is say thank you to our Americans.

Stinger1 11-08-2021 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slyda (Post 15939607)
Telegraph article states: "His Facebank company is valued currently at $4.5billion [£3.2 billion]."

I think he only owns 10% of it.

Harry Bassett 11-08-2021 08:38 PM

Benfica and Sporting are almost certainly above us in terms of status, every now and again they produce dross such as Ronaldo and Figo and years back Benfica had a bloke named Eusebio who was much better than average at the stadium of light.

AddoWolz 11-08-2021 08:43 PM

Things could get really interesting when we get The 5th Man .


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.