CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Things I don't understand (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=279947)

Sick Bucket 13-09-2019 09:50 PM

Things I don't understand
 
Drive-thru Mcdonalds, why would you do that?

andyocpfc 13-09-2019 09:52 PM

I donít understand why you wouldnít TBH. Chose that option most times when I go to Mac D.

chrisophiex 13-09-2019 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick Bucket (Post 14915064)
Drive-thru Mcdonalds, why would you do that?



https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/28/poo-f...ested-8178486/

Skiddo 13-09-2019 10:23 PM

Kenny Dalglish

GorBlimey 13-09-2019 11:31 PM

Why Gary Lineker is the highest paid BBC "talent".

cappuccinoeagle 14-09-2019 02:30 AM

Things I don't understand
 
Music in supermarkets and banks - have you ever gone in one of these and thought ďThe only thing thatís missing out of this experience is piped music!Ē
In the days of streaming and box sets the popularity of banal crap like Doc Martin.

KYLIE MINEAGLE 14-09-2019 04:11 AM

TV's in pubs that no one watches. Every pub over here has at least 5 screens per bar.

Daniel_Nash 14-09-2019 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cappuccinoeagle (Post 14915124)
Music in supermarkets and banks - have you ever gone in one of these and thought ďThe only thing thatís missing out of this experience is piped music!Ē
In the days of streaming and box sets the popularity of banal crap like Doc Martin.

Woolworths near me always has 80s pop throughout the store. Love it.

Daniel_Nash 14-09-2019 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE (Post 14915129)
TV's in pubs that no one watches. Every pub over here has at least 5 screens per bar.

In the racing/pokies section? or are they showing things like The Project and The Living Room?

In the UK they have/had muted TVs with the news on and subtitles. FUN.

Worksop Palace 14-09-2019 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel_Nash (Post 14915159)
Woolworths near me always has 80s pop throughout the store. Love it.

Woolworths ??? You sure ???

Daniel_Nash 14-09-2019 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worksop Palace (Post 14915171)
Woolworths ??? You sure ???

Quite sure. Woolworths in Australia is a supermarket.

BERT'S HEAD 14-09-2019 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worksop Palace (Post 14915171)
Woolworths ??? You sure ???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolworths_Supermarkets

Maidstoned Eagle 14-09-2019 07:30 AM

This constant need for Things threads.

Worksop Palace 14-09-2019 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel_Nash (Post 14915172)
Quite sure. Woolworths in Australia is a supermarket.

Lol yes of course :supergrin:

Forgot you were in Oz :p

chrisophiex 14-09-2019 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worksop Palace (Post 14915171)
Woolworths ??? You sure ???


Yep. It’s right next to Our Price.

Daniel_Nash 14-09-2019 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worksop Palace (Post 14915194)
Lol yes of course :supergrin:

Forgot you were in Oz :p

In fairness, the 80s tunes (and being in Australia) does make it feel like you've gone back in time!

churley1988 14-09-2019 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisophiex (Post 14915197)
Yep. Itís right next to Our Price.

In the middle of the street?

Worksop Palace 14-09-2019 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisophiex (Post 14915197)
Yep. Itís right next to Our Price.

I actually do remember OP being only a few shops away from Woolies in the Sop :lux:

chrisophiex 14-09-2019 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by churley1988 (Post 14915208)
In the middle of the street?


Thatís the one.

Nicebitofgreen 14-09-2019 08:47 AM

Why management at my work spend loads of man hours on efficiency related projects. Just sack a few people and concentrate on client driven work!!

KYLIE MINEAGLE 14-09-2019 09:15 AM

Swahili.

Rocky Bullitt 14-09-2019 09:29 AM

VAR

Skin Up 14-09-2019 09:36 AM

Fully grown men who load up their laptop or Ipad and suddenly have access to every piece of information recorded in human history, the ability to communicate with people of different cultures, lifestyles and creeds from every corner of the globe, access to every piece of music, movie, TV show, sporting event ever all at their fingertips to be delivered to their senses in seconds....

...and they choose instead to spend their Saturday morning screaming into the void of the echo chamber Brexit thread on the good ship BBS.

monkey 14-09-2019 10:02 AM

Apparently according to a young lad standing on my doorstep trying to get me to change my supplier, thereís 47 energy companies to choose from now, I guessed 6 when he asked. But as quite obviously thereís not 47 different pipes and cables up our road, I just donít get how you can have so many companies competing to sell you the same fooking gas and electric, coming through the same pipes and cables.
Iím sensing a gap in the market, I might become the 48th:rolleyes: how does monkeypower sound?

chateauferret 14-09-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin Up (Post 14915269)
Fully grown men who load up their laptop or Ipad and suddenly have access to every piece of information recorded in human history, the ability to communicate with people of different cultures, lifestyles and creeds from every corner of the globe, access to every piece of music, movie, TV show, sporting event ever all at their fingertips to be delivered to their senses in seconds....

...and they choose instead to spend their Saturday morning screaming into the void of the echo chamber Brexit thread on the good ship BBS.

I don't have access to every piece of information there is. I mean the Lilypond documentation but I still can't find out WTF that empty bar is doing stuck on the end of Cramer's A minor sonata FFS.

And I'd be careful with the words "good ship BBS" if I were you. Unless you are Will^H^H^H^H Trolley, in which case I claim my five free tickets to the Tiry party conference.

cappuccinoeagle 14-09-2019 10:29 AM

The popularity of Bjork- Iíve heard more tuneful car alarms.

Madden 14-09-2019 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE (Post 14915254)
Swahili.

If you understand Zulu you should be able to communicate as many of the words are the same/similar!

davech 14-09-2019 11:15 AM

Why parents in London buy Moan Utd shirts for their idiot offspring.

CT_Palace 14-09-2019 11:22 AM

Knitting.
How can 2 sticks and a ball of string make a jumper?
Devil’s work I tell you!

Yoda 14-09-2019 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 14915331)
Knitting.
How can 2 sticks and a ball of string make a jumper?
Devilís work I tell you!

String? Thatíd be v itchy.

davech 14-09-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 14915331)
Knitting.
How can 2 sticks and a ball of string make a jumper?
Devilís work I tell you!

My grandmother could rattle off a jumper in a day. She went by the nickname of 'Galloping Gertie' (her real name was Lily).

CT_Palace 14-09-2019 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 14915337)
String? Thatíd be v itchy.

Oh! That reminds me:

String vests. Donít understand them either.

KYLIE MINEAGLE 14-09-2019 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madden (Post 14915322)
If you understand Zulu you should be able to communicate as many of the words are the same/similar!

Actually my Xhosa is a bit better.;)

CT_Palace 14-09-2019 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davech (Post 14915338)
My grandmother could rattle off a jumper in a day. She went by the nickname of 'Galloping Gertie' (her real name was Lily).

Clearly from the coven.

palacemetros 14-09-2019 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick Bucket (Post 14915064)
Drive-thru Mcdonalds, why would you do that?

Drive by. Now that I understand.

Sick Bucket 14-09-2019 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyocpfc (Post 14915066)
I donít understand why you wouldnít TBH. Chose that option most times when I go to Mac D.

Why? I can't think of a good reason why anyone would want to sit in the car eating McD's surely messy, uncomfortable and stinks the car out. Why not get out the car and sit at a table?

Sick Bucket 14-09-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisophiex (Post 14915068)

That's reasonable, except I don't use the touchscreens either!

TBH I only go to McD's as a last resort.

Sick Bucket 14-09-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davech (Post 14915327)
Why parents in London buy Moan Utd shirts for their idiot offspring.

Wanker parents. :jerkit:

Sleeping Giant 14-09-2019 12:33 PM

The attraction of liquorice or marzipan

davech 14-09-2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 14915339)
Oh! That reminds me:

String vests. Donít understand them either.

Only really go with the knotted hankies.

Stellavista 14-09-2019 12:42 PM

Shoreditch

Stellavista 14-09-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicebitofgreen (Post 14915233)
Why management at my work spend loads of man hours on efficiency related projects. Just sack a few people and concentrate on client driven work!!

Justifying their overpaid existence? F**k all else to do.

mushroom 14-09-2019 12:48 PM

Celebrity culture

Especially people treating footballers as wise social commentators

thefox 14-09-2019 02:38 PM

How Corbyn is responsible for the ISIS girl coming back to the UK.

CP-RJW 14-09-2019 02:52 PM

PVA’s defending

CP-RJW 14-09-2019 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 14915412)
Shoreditch

Good food in and around that area, but overrated outside of that.

Ardent Eagle Forever 14-09-2019 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel_Nash (Post 14915159)
Woolworths near me always has 80s pop throughout the store. Love it.

I miss woolworths. :frown:

Stellavista 14-09-2019 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14915876)
Good food in and around that area, but overrated outside of that.

I worked there a lot in the 80s. Most of it looked like a location for a Sweeney car chase scene. Loved it. Like much of London, been reshaped into something unrecognisable. And chock full of C*nts.

CP-RJW 14-09-2019 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 14916314)
I worked there a lot in the 80s. Most of it looked like a location for a Sweeney car chase scene. Loved it. Like much of London, been reshaped into something unrecognisable. And chock full of C*nts.

Yep. Way too gentrified. Same as Peckham.

Nth Kent Eagle 14-09-2019 06:17 PM

With all these places you only have to walk 50 to 100 yards off the gentrified high roads and you are in estates worse than the 70s. Not too bad in the day time but after it's dark at about 4.30 in the winter and many are unnerving to put it mildly.

Stellavista 14-09-2019 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle (Post 14916514)
With all these places you only have to walk 50 to 100 yards off the gentrified high roads and you are in estates worse than the 70s. Not too bad in the day time but after it's dark at about 4.30 in the winter and many are unnerving to put it mildly.

Council estates in the 70s and 80s could be decent places to live. Some of the private housing then was shocking. Don't buy into the myth.

Mr Mojo Risin 14-09-2019 06:27 PM

The under appreciation of Chris Armstrong. I learnt today he is one of the top six Premier League goalscorers for Tottenham. This, along with the fact that for a season or two he was a brilliant striker here, makes me wonder why he isn't talked more about on these boards (compared to say Ian Wright or AJ) or indeed more generally.

Mr Mojo Risin 14-09-2019 06:29 PM

Also, tattoos. It is a bit like wearing the same T-shirt every day for the rest of your life. Even if you got one of the Palace badge, we change that every 20 years so it would eventually be out of date.

Nth Kent Eagle 14-09-2019 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 14916517)
Council estates in the 70s and 80s could be decent places to live. Some of the private housing then was shocking. Don't buy into the myth.

Oh I agree. I ought to know. Some were decent large estates where most were working and you had mixed communities with mixed incomes. St Pauls Cray, Mottimgham, Windsor Drive, Poverest and the Coppice were examples. There were others that were dodgy. I worked on some absolute shockers too in the late 70s. I've worked on some in recent years in inner London where after about 4.30 and when it's dark I've felt on edge, around Bermondsey St and the Elephant in particular. Maybe that's because I getting old and no longer a regular long distance runner.

CP-RJW 14-09-2019 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle (Post 14916514)
With all these places you only have to walk 50 to 100 yards off the gentrified high roads and you are in estates worse than the 70s. Not too bad in the day time but after it's dark at about 4.30 in the winter and many are unnerving to put it mildly.

Eh, I walk through places like that a fair bit at night (my girlfriend lives in New Cross), and I don’t think they’re that bad. For grimness I think parts of the North definitely trump anywhere in London, although like London I wouldn’t call them intimidating. Just run down.

Nth Kent Eagle 14-09-2019 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14916622)
Eh, I walk through places like that a fair bit at night (my girlfriend lives in New Cross), and I donít think theyíre that bad. For grimness I think parts of the North definitely trump anywhere in London, although like London I wouldnít call them intimidating. Just run down.

Sure, there aren't many estates that I would have felt unsafe walking through in the 70s during the day. In fact I've worked on plenty in the day more recently and can't think of one I'd feel unsafe on in the daylight at the moment although there are tower blocks where you feel uneasy e.g be careful not to touch the lift buttons without gloves because the junkies put needles behind them. After dark in winter it is one thing to walk through the estates but another to spend time on with valuable work materials. As I said the Rockingham, Heygate, Aylesbury estates and around Bermondsey St come to mind.

thefox 15-09-2019 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin (Post 14916524)
The under appreciation of Chris Armstrong. I learnt today he is one of the top six Premier League goalscorers for Tottenham. This, along with the fact that for a season or two he was a brilliant striker here, makes me wonder why he isn't talked more about on these boards (compared to say Ian Wright or AJ) or indeed more generally.

It's also strange as most fans didn't even attend during half of Wright and Brights time. Crowds of 6 to 8000 before promomtion and even in cup games in 90-91.

Coastal Palace 15-09-2019 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 14915412)
Shoreditch

And Canning Town and Silvertown.
Worked a fair bit in Silvertown in the 80's. The workshop I worked in was right opposite an old church where some of the scenes for a Mickey Rourke film, A Prayer For The Dying was filmed. I always had one eye on work and the other eye on where my car was parked.
Proper shit hole.
Bit like New Addington but with less fields.

Sick Bucket 15-09-2019 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle (Post 14916514)
With all these places you only have to walk 50 to 100 yards off the gentrified high roads and you are in estates worse than the 70s. Not too bad in the day time but after it's dark at about 4.30 in the winter and many are unnerving to put it mildly.

That's one of the things that makes London so special though, I think it's pretty unique and it's like that all over the city, walk down one street and its all £1,000,000+ houses turn the corner and you're in a dodgy council estate. Most cities in the world are not like that in my experience but I think it really helps to make London what it is, still one of the best cities in the world IMHO.

Nth Kent Eagle 15-09-2019 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick Bucket (Post 14917073)
That's one of the things that makes London so special though, I think it's pretty unique and it's like that all over the city, walk down one street and its all £1,000,000+ houses turn the corner and you're in a dodgy council estate. Most cities in the world are not like that in my experience but I think it really helps to make London what it is, still one of the best cities in the world IMHO.

Yes, I tend to like Islington for example because if you walk down a side street you never quite know what will be there. Old school market, battle cruiser, gastro pub, tough estate, juice bar, millionaires row, US tech company etc. A few seasons ago I walked after the game (the one where Puncheon skied the penalty) from White Hart Lane to London Bridge Station. In two hours I felt like I'd seen the world.

Stellavista 15-09-2019 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefox (Post 14916825)
It's also strange as most fans didn't even attend during half of Wright and Brights time. Crowds of 6 to 8000 before promomtion and even in cup games in 90-91.

I'm pretty sure I was there with crowds well below 6000 plenty of times back in the mid-80s.

Coastal Palace 15-09-2019 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 14917172)
I'm pretty sure I was there with crowds well below 6000 plenty of times back in the mid-80s.

There were.
I remember it well.

Nicebitofgreen 15-09-2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle (Post 14917105)
Yes, I tend to like Islington for example because if you walk down a side street you never quite know what will be there. Old school market, battle cruiser, gastro pub, tough estate, juice bar, millionaires row, US tech company etc. A few seasons ago I walked after the game (the one where Puncheon skied the penalty) from White Hart Lane to London Bridge Station. In two hours I felt like I'd seen the world.


I find it a problem tho that it costs so much for a gaff but I may feel unsafe when popping to the shops.

CP-RJW 15-09-2019 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick Bucket (Post 14917073)
That's one of the things that makes London so special though, I think it's pretty unique and it's like that all over the city, walk down one street and its all £1,000,000+ houses turn the corner and you're in a dodgy council estate. Most cities in the world are not like that in my experience but I think it really helps to make London what it is, still one of the best cities in the world IMHO.

Very true. Far less segregated than other Cities. Especially compared to Paris, which is obviously often regarded as one of Londonís Ďbest city in the worldí rivals.

Sick Bucket 15-09-2019 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 14917172)
I'm pretty sure I was there with crowds well below 6000 plenty of times back in the mid-80s.

I distinctly remember standing on a near empty Holmesdale in the pissing rain watching us lose to Grimbsy, 2-0 I think in front of 4000 something.

Stellavista 15-09-2019 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick Bucket (Post 14917299)
I distinctly remember standing on a near empty Holmesdale in the pissing rain watching us lose to Grimbsy, 2-0 I think in front of 4000 something.

There was also a match where it was raining so hard that Uncle Ron had an announcement broadcast inviting all those getting soaked on the open terraces to move under cover in the AW. And 4000 looked really sparse in a stadium with a 52,000 capacity at that time.

Coastal Palace 15-09-2019 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 14917305)
There was also a match where it was raining so hard that Uncle Ron had an announcement broadcast inviting all those getting soaked on the open terraces to move under cover in the AW.

Or as they were otherwise known as - the good old days.
:D

Stellavista 15-09-2019 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal Palace (Post 14917306)
Or as they were otherwise known as - the good old days.
:D

I think I preferred them, but maybe it was just about being young.

Oldtown Eagle 15-09-2019 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel_Nash (Post 14915159)
Woolworths near me always has 80s pop throughout the store. Love it.

Reminded me of Woolworth's selling singles under a label called Embassy I think. Top 20 hits but by cover artists. You Really Got Me was a shambles. :)

Coastal Palace 15-09-2019 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 14917309)
I think I preferred them, but maybe it was just about being young.

I'd have those days back in a heatbeat though.
Wouldn't you?

Pistol Knight 15-09-2019 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin (Post 14916526)
Also, tattoos. It is a bit like wearing the same T-shirt every day for the rest of your life. Even if you got one of the Palace badge, we change that every 20 years so it would eventually be out of date.

which is when people can tell how long you have supported your club for

Pistol Knight 15-09-2019 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick Bucket (Post 14917299)
I distinctly remember standing on a near empty Holmesdale in the pissing rain watching us lose to Grimbsy, 2-0 I think in front of 4000 something.

with that crowd, Mullery must have been manager

Stellavista 15-09-2019 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal Palace (Post 14917328)
I'd have those days back in a heatbeat though.
Wouldn't you?

Yes and no. It always makes me shudder a bit that a few alternative steps would have found me living an entirely different older life. So look back on it fondly, but wouldn't want to risk f*cking up what I have now.

Since 1968 15-09-2019 07:02 PM

Why Talksport thinks Mr Jordan is an expert on football finance, despite losing £50m.

chateauferret 15-09-2019 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Since 1968 (Post 14917456)
Why Talksport thinks Mr Jordan is an expert on football finance, despite losing £50m.

Obviously they know he isn't, just as they know Durham is a massive twat. He's there because he can sound plausible by spouting just the kind of trollingbshite that will make wanker fans phone them up and try and score off him.

This is why it is called TalkShite.

stevek 16-09-2019 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 14917172)
I'm pretty sure I was there with crowds well below 6000 plenty of times back in the mid-80s.

Yep - average was around 6,000 for the first couple of Coppell seasons, but some individual games were below that. The occasional 10,000 attendance felt like a big gate.

EagleSE24 16-09-2019 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey (Post 14915284)
Apparently according to a young lad standing on my doorstep trying to get me to change my supplier, thereís 47 energy companies to choose from now, I guessed 6 when he asked. But as quite obviously thereís not 47 different pipes and cables up our road, I just donít get how you can have so many companies competing to sell you the same fooking gas and electric, coming through the same pipes and cables.
Iím sensing a gap in the market, I might become the 48th:rolleyes: how does monkeypower sound?

Your energy company is pretty much just the company you choose to send you the bill.

Everyone uses the same infrastructure. I guess they just bulk buy the energy they need from a generation company to serve the number of customers they have and then choose what to charge you.

Maidstoned Eagle 16-09-2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick Bucket (Post 14917299)
I distinctly remember standing on a near empty Holmesdale in the pissing rain watching us lose to Grimbsy, 2-0 I think in front of 4000 something.

I thought it was 3 or 4 nil....******* awful night.

Sick Bucket 16-09-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 14917778)
I thought it was 3 or 4 nil....******* awful night.

Yeah! I was going to edit my post, I was thinking it was a midweek night game and possibly 3-0.

Anyway I thought you disapproved of this thread? ;)

stevek 16-09-2019 01:08 PM

3-0 in front of 5,052.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/crysta...r-1986-122286/

PalaceMonkey 16-09-2019 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey (Post 14915284)
how does monkeypower sound?

I'm in

andyocpfc 16-09-2019 01:22 PM

BBSers that spend some 10/15 years of their life posting almost daily on a regular basis and then have a fall out with another poster and jump ship or just flounce for no reason.

Timbo 16-09-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Since 1968 (Post 14917456)
Why Talksport thinks Mr Jordan is an expert on football finance, despite losing £50m.

He probably is, now, learnt the hard way...

Richard 16-09-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 14917305)
There was also a match where it was raining so hard that Uncle Ron had an announcement broadcast inviting all those getting soaked on the open terraces to move under cover in the AW. And 4000 looked really sparse in a stadium with a 52,000 capacity at that time.

I remember a Boxing Day game at home to Sunderland, which the Police ridiculously decided should kick off at midday. The poor old Sunderland fans travelled down on coaches that left Wearside just after midnight on Christmas Day. Uncle Ron laid on a breakfast for them when they got to Selhurst, after which they stood in the rain in that old away supporters' section between the Arthur and the Holmesdale Road - watched their team lose 2-0 in a fairly dreadful game, given the conditions, and then got on their coaches for the long journey back.

stevek 16-09-2019 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 14918021)
I remember a Boxing Day game at home to Sunderland, which the Police ridiculously decided should kick off at midday. The poor old Sunderland fans travelled down on coaches that left Wearside just after midnight on Christmas Day. Uncle Ron laid on a breakfast for them when they got to Selhurst, after which they stood in the rain in that old away supporters' section between the Arthur and the Holmesdale Road - watched their team lose 2-0 in a fairly dreadful game, given the conditions, and then got on their coaches for the long journey back.

It was actually 2-1, and Sunderland led (through David Rush iirc) for much of the game. (I read later that the reason they played us on Boxing Day was because the fixture list was set before Swindon were denied promotion due to financial irregularities and Sunderland took their place.)

CK 16-09-2019 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek (Post 14918023)
It was actually 2-1, and Sunderland led (through David Rush iirc) for much of the game. (I read later that the reason they played us on Boxing Day was because the fixture list was set before Swindon were denied promotion due to financial irregularities and Sunderland took their place.)

Steve am I right in thinking Geoff Thomas scored late with a looping header? That was bl00dy years ago. Palace faithful gave Sundetland fans an ovation:lux:

stevek 16-09-2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CK (Post 14918033)
Steve am I right in thinking Geoff Thomas scored late with a looping header? That was bl00dy years ago. Palace faithful gave Sundetland fans an ovation:lux:

I really can't remember. I just remember feeling sorry for the Sunderland fans! My recollection is that we were the better team and deserved the win, but equally our goals came late so they would feel unlucky not to have got something from the match - and especially given the journey and the weather! It was the year we finished 3rd and I think they got relegated, so they were definitely the underdogs.

Terrace Bickle 16-09-2019 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek (Post 14917843)

I was there too. In a hissy fit I vowed never to go back to SP.

Maz 16-09-2019 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalaceMonkey (Post 14917846)
I'm in

Hello :)

Sick Bucket 16-09-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrace Bickle (Post 14918045)
I was there too. In a hissy fit I vowed never to go back to SP.

Haha exactly the same for me! that's why I remember it.

Sick Bucket 16-09-2019 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 14918021)
I remember a Boxing Day game at home to Sunderland, which the Police ridiculously decided should kick off at midday. The poor old Sunderland fans travelled down on coaches that left Wearside just after midnight on Christmas Day. Uncle Ron laid on a breakfast for them when they got to Selhurst, after which they stood in the rain in that old away supporters' section between the Arthur and the Holmesdale Road - watched their team lose 2-0 in a fairly dreadful game, given the conditions, and then got on their coaches for the long journey back.

That reminds me, I'm sure we had another Sunderland match around the same time, also on Boxing Day which was called off an hour before kick off, me and my Dad had driven from Dover and got to the ground just as they called it off, felt so sorry for the Sunderland fans.

Can anyone confirm that?

Terrace Bickle 16-09-2019 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalaceMonkey (Post 14917846)
I'm in

Best stay away from renewable energy for vehicles.

http://viz.co.uk/2014/10/03/mickeys-monkey-spunk-moped/

Richard 16-09-2019 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek (Post 14918023)
It was actually 2-1, and Sunderland led (through David Rush iirc) for much of the game. (I read later that the reason they played us on Boxing Day was because the fixture list was set before Swindon were denied promotion due to financial irregularities and Sunderland took their place.)

I stand corrected. I do remember a lot of respect from the Palace fans to the poor old Sunderland fans. (Still doesn't justify the Police's decision.)

Sleeping Giant 16-09-2019 07:05 PM

Am I imagining it or did we, in one of those Boxing Day Sunderland games give all the Sunderland fans a free breakfast...ÖÖ.or summink?

Terrace Bickle 16-09-2019 07:06 PM

Yes they were as they'd set off at some un Godly hour

Dorking .Eagle 16-09-2019 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeping Giant (Post 14918140)
Am I imagining it or did we, in one of those Boxing Day Sunderland games give all the Sunderland fans a free breakfast...ÖÖ.or summink?

Yep, Noades arranged for them to have them free breakfast in Crystals

Richard 16-09-2019 08:03 PM

I must be on several Ignore lists !

CP Satellite 16-09-2019 08:09 PM

At least they paid us back by letting Darren Powell score in stoppage time, but it took around 20 years for the privelege.

Nth Kent Eagle 16-09-2019 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick Bucket (Post 14918115)
That reminds me, I'm sure we had another Sunderland match around the same time, also on Boxing Day which was called off an hour before kick off, me and my Dad had driven from Dover and got to the ground just as they called it off, felt so sorry for the Sunderland fans.

Can anyone confirm that?

Wasn't that a night match possibly in the league cup? I was making my way to the ground straight from work and there were Sunderland on Victoria Station when we heard the match was waterlogged off. We won the replay IIRC which was the last time I ever went in the Whitehorse.

Blind_Eagle 16-09-2019 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 14918021)
I remember a Boxing Day game at home to Sunderland, which the Police ridiculously decided should kick off at midday. The poor old Sunderland fans travelled down on coaches that left Wearside just after midnight on Christmas Day. Uncle Ron laid on a breakfast for them when they got to Selhurst, after which they stood in the rain in that old away supporters' section between the Arthur and the Holmesdale Road - watched their team lose 2-0 in a fairly dreadful game, given the conditions, and then got on their coaches for the long journey back.

I remember that. :D

It wasnít just their fans that were soaked and pissed off.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.