CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Things I don't understand (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=279947)

PalaceMonkey 16-09-2019 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey (Post 14915284)
how does monkeypower sound?

I'm in

andyocpfc 16-09-2019 01:22 PM

BBSers that spend some 10/15 years of their life posting almost daily on a regular basis and then have a fall out with another poster and jump ship or just flounce for no reason.

Timbo 16-09-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Since 1968 (Post 14917456)
Why Talksport thinks Mr Jordan is an expert on football finance, despite losing £50m.

He probably is, now, learnt the hard way...

Richard 16-09-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 14917305)
There was also a match where it was raining so hard that Uncle Ron had an announcement broadcast inviting all those getting soaked on the open terraces to move under cover in the AW. And 4000 looked really sparse in a stadium with a 52,000 capacity at that time.

I remember a Boxing Day game at home to Sunderland, which the Police ridiculously decided should kick off at midday. The poor old Sunderland fans travelled down on coaches that left Wearside just after midnight on Christmas Day. Uncle Ron laid on a breakfast for them when they got to Selhurst, after which they stood in the rain in that old away supporters' section between the Arthur and the Holmesdale Road - watched their team lose 2-0 in a fairly dreadful game, given the conditions, and then got on their coaches for the long journey back.

stevek 16-09-2019 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 14918021)
I remember a Boxing Day game at home to Sunderland, which the Police ridiculously decided should kick off at midday. The poor old Sunderland fans travelled down on coaches that left Wearside just after midnight on Christmas Day. Uncle Ron laid on a breakfast for them when they got to Selhurst, after which they stood in the rain in that old away supporters' section between the Arthur and the Holmesdale Road - watched their team lose 2-0 in a fairly dreadful game, given the conditions, and then got on their coaches for the long journey back.

It was actually 2-1, and Sunderland led (through David Rush iirc) for much of the game. (I read later that the reason they played us on Boxing Day was because the fixture list was set before Swindon were denied promotion due to financial irregularities and Sunderland took their place.)

CK 16-09-2019 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek (Post 14918023)
It was actually 2-1, and Sunderland led (through David Rush iirc) for much of the game. (I read later that the reason they played us on Boxing Day was because the fixture list was set before Swindon were denied promotion due to financial irregularities and Sunderland took their place.)

Steve am I right in thinking Geoff Thomas scored late with a looping header? That was bl00dy years ago. Palace faithful gave Sundetland fans an ovation:lux:

stevek 16-09-2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CK (Post 14918033)
Steve am I right in thinking Geoff Thomas scored late with a looping header? That was bl00dy years ago. Palace faithful gave Sundetland fans an ovation:lux:

I really can't remember. I just remember feeling sorry for the Sunderland fans! My recollection is that we were the better team and deserved the win, but equally our goals came late so they would feel unlucky not to have got something from the match - and especially given the journey and the weather! It was the year we finished 3rd and I think they got relegated, so they were definitely the underdogs.

Terrace Bickle 16-09-2019 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek (Post 14917843)

I was there too. In a hissy fit I vowed never to go back to SP.

Maz 16-09-2019 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalaceMonkey (Post 14917846)
I'm in

Hello :)

Sick Bucket 16-09-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrace Bickle (Post 14918045)
I was there too. In a hissy fit I vowed never to go back to SP.

Haha exactly the same for me! that's why I remember it.

Sick Bucket 16-09-2019 06:19 PM

Quote:

That reminds me, I'm sure we had another Sunderland match around the same time, also on Boxing Day which was called off an hour before kick off, me and my Dad had driven from Dover and got to the ground just as they called it off, felt so sorry for the Sunderland fans.

Can anyone confirm that?

Terrace Bickle 16-09-2019 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalaceMonkey (Post 14917846)
I'm in

Best stay away from renewable energy for vehicles.

http://viz.co.uk/2014/10/03/mickeys-monkey-spunk-moped/

Richard 16-09-2019 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek (Post 14918023)

I stand corrected. I do remember a lot of respect from the Palace fans to the poor old Sunderland fans. (Still doesn't justify the Police's decision.)

Sleeping Giant 16-09-2019 07:05 PM

Am I imagining it or did we, in one of those Boxing Day Sunderland games give all the Sunderland fans a free breakfast...…….or summink?

Terrace Bickle 16-09-2019 07:06 PM

Yes they were as they'd set off at some un Godly hour

Dorking .Eagle 16-09-2019 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeping Giant (Post 14918140)
Am I imagining it or did we, in one of those Boxing Day Sunderland games give all the Sunderland fans a free breakfast...…….or summink?

Yep, Noades arranged for them to have them free breakfast in Crystals

Richard 16-09-2019 08:03 PM

I must be on several Ignore lists !

CP Satellite 16-09-2019 08:09 PM

At least they paid us back by letting Darren Powell score in stoppage time, but it took around 20 years for the privelege.

Nth Kent Eagle 16-09-2019 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick Bucket (Post 14918115)
That reminds me, I'm sure we had another Sunderland match around the same time, also on Boxing Day which was called off an hour before kick off, me and my Dad had driven from Dover and got to the ground just as they called it off, felt so sorry for the Sunderland fans.

Can anyone confirm that?

Wasn't that a night match possibly in the league cup? I was making my way to the ground straight from work and there were Sunderland on Victoria Station when we heard the match was waterlogged off. We won the replay IIRC which was the last time I ever went in the Whitehorse.

Blind_Eagle 16-09-2019 08:58 PM

Quote:

I remember that. :D

It wasn’t just their fans that were soaked and pissed off.