CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Football (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Union Jack to St Georgeís flag (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=284312)

Baffled Bob 2 11-07-2021 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winners (Post 15896452)
I don’t understand why people need to associate a flag with a group as a reason to dislike the flag?? The flag is the symbol of a country first and formost. Nationalist groups will obviously adopt said flags to garner support, but it’s not reason to hate the flag. Hate the group.

Spot on. In fact it helps when normals embrace their daft patriotism and then outnumber the nationalist idiots. Make them look like the swivel eyed divs that they are.

Southgate and the team have been pretty cute in doing that for the last month.

Wave your flag. It's only a flag.

cockneyrebel 11-07-2021 12:45 PM

Wave it, don’t wave it. Whatever. Now BB joins in with the agendas and lecturing.

Keep politics out of this I say.

west country boy 11-07-2021 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockneyrebel (Post 15896499)
Regardless of the flag I hope we can all join in with this verse of the national anthem.

ď Lord, grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the King.Ē

Must be quite strange when Scots sing it.

Even that bit isn't as good as it sounds as it's more anti-Catholic than anti-scotch.

Baffled Bob 2 11-07-2021 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockneyrebel (Post 15896519)
Canít say anything these days. Les and NKE hijacking the thread with their agendas.

:D English irony.

Put out the St George's cross bunting. :lux:

Baffled Bob 2 11-07-2021 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockneyrebel (Post 15896521)
Wave it, donít wave it. Whatever. Now BB joins in with the agendas and lecturing.

Sorry. I genuinely didn't know your question in the OP was just that! I had assumed you wanted to revisit previous threads on patriotism v nationalism.

In which case, I agree with the posters who said 1996 and the reason is that the NF had rather tainted the union flag.

I'll not post further.

917L 11-07-2021 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockneyrebel (Post 15896508)
Letís keep politics out of this thread. Itís not British.

That should be your last post on here then

west country boy 11-07-2021 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15896349)
Point.of.order there, the Stones logo was based on representations of the goddess Kali, who was portrayed with bright red lips and tongue. Seeing as the logo was designed in the early 70s I'm pretty sure the use of the UK or SG colours was not at the forefront of the mind.

I certainly don't immediately associate the lips and tongue logo with flag colours. I know there are different versions but it's usually bright red.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MFBias (Post 15896450)
Marshall Chess, son of Chess Recordsí founder, who managed The Stones, claimed to have come up with the idea of the tongue.

He was talking out of his arse then, and I don't think he actually managed the Stones.

Les Butler 11-07-2021 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baffled Bob 2 (Post 15896520)
Spot on. In fact, it helps when normals embrace their daft patriotism and then outnumber the nationalist idiots. Make them look like the swivel eyed divs that they are.

I look upon it as normality, a kid, man or woman(or what you associate yourself with;)) waves an England flag in support of the England team. It's not politics or thinking about the crusades. They are supporting their countries team in a cup final, that's about it.

Just to add, it brings the country together who or whatever you are, religions and race so in fact, it is the opposite to what some seem to think what it represents.

But sorry to say some people despise anytime a flag is waved anytime there is a St Georges day wanting to piss on the parade when most and the majority do not even give it a 2nd thought.

Baffled Bob 2 11-07-2021 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15896349)
Point.of.order there, the Stones logo was based on representations of the goddess Kali, who was portrayed with bright red lips and tongue. Seeing as the logo was designed in the early 70s I'm pretty sure the use of the UK or SG colours was not at the forefront of the mind.

That's interesting. Someone once told me it was designed by Andy Warhol around the time of the Sticky Fingers album cover so I always assumed that was the case. Having just had a look, he had nothing to do with the logo.

Skin Up 11-07-2021 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockneyrebel (Post 15896521)
Wave it, donít wave it. Whatever. Now BB joins in with the agendas and lecturing.

Maybe you should keep your tantrums to the politics forum? It's obvious you aren't a football fan so your meltdowns come across far more awkward here. I guess rugby was the sport of choice at your boarding school.

Eagle's Nest 11-07-2021 01:44 PM

Rugby was my sport of choice at boarding school.

El Aguila 11-07-2021 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baffled Bob 2 (Post 15896520)
Spot on. In fact it helps when normals embrace their daft patriotism and then outnumber the nationalist idiots. Make them look like the swivel eyed divs that they are.

Try and make me.

El Aguila 11-07-2021 01:52 PM

It's true about GSTQ - it's not actually the English anthem at all, and we are appropriating it from the Scots, Welsh and Irish to whom it also belongs. The England team should choose a different song, like everyone else has.

cockneyrebel 11-07-2021 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baffled Bob 2 (Post 15896533)
Sorry. I genuinely didn't know your question in the OP was just that! I had assumed you wanted to revisit previous threads on patriotism v nationalism.

In which case, I agree with the posters who said 1996 and the reason is that the NF had rather tainted the union flag.

I'll not post further.

Lol I was being tongue in cheek but actually the original question was just what it was not a rerun. Iíd just watched the 1966 final on C4. Well the end of it.

cockneyrebel 11-07-2021 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Butler (Post 15896554)
I look upon it as normality, a kid, man or woman(or what you associate yourself with;)) waves an England flag in support of the England team. It's not politics or thinking about the crusades. They are supporting their countries team in a cup final, that's about it.

Just to add, it brings the country together who or whatever you are, religions and race so in fact, it is the opposite to what some seem to think what it represents.

But sorry to say some people despise anytime a flag is waved anytime there is a St Georges day wanting to piss on the parade when most and the majority do not even give it a 2nd thought.

Stop moaning Les youíre causing division with your agendas.

cockneyrebel 11-07-2021 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin Up (Post 15896585)
Maybe you should keep your tantrums to the politics forum? It's obvious you aren't a football fan so your meltdowns come across far more awkward here. I guess rugby was the sport of choice at your boarding school.

Lol had a season ticket since I was 12 and suspect you’re a lot posher and better off than me. Went to a Lewisham comp and started work as an apprentice if you really want to know :)

Also lighten up sunshine :)

cockneyrebel 11-07-2021 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Aguila (Post 15896605)
It's true about GSTQ - it's not actually the English anthem at all, and we are appropriating it from the Scots, Welsh and Irish to whom it also belongs. The England team should choose a different song, like everyone else has.

Yeah the anthem is another interesting one. Is there an English anthem?

El Aguila 11-07-2021 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockneyrebel (Post 15896610)

"Jerusalem" and "I Vow to Thee, my Country" get used.
Billy Bragg has been banging on about this for years. Great if it happens, I suppose.

west country boy 11-07-2021 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockneyrebel (Post 15896610)

Not officially, no.

Prince Phillip 11-07-2021 02:04 PM

In the 70s & 80s the red bar across the middle of the Union Jack did provide better opportunity to stencil out Lower Shittlebury or wherever the bearers were from.
The St George is just made for CPFC to be spelt out in the four sectors though.