CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Anyone play cricket? (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=172285)

Billy Rhino 04-07-2008 06:38 PM

Anyone play cricket?

I know there's an enormous cricket thread but it appears to be all about watching rather than playing so thought I'd start this up.

I played my first proper game since school (over 20 years ago) about 3 weeks ago for my company team, Temple Bar. I honestly thought it would be a doddle as I was pretty good at school, and yet I somehow managed to get bowled first ball............by a 17 year old GIRL!

Anyway, despite that I've started to buy all the gear like whites, bat, pads, gloves etc and am really enjoying it, even if I am a virtual novice. My batting average is already up to 2.5 (I've only played once more since, you do the maths!).

Do we have any regular cricketers on here and if so what team and how's your season going? We're joint top of the Morrant Wey Valley League at the moment.

Maybe if your team is short or you fancy a game then you could use this thread for recruitment?

stinky 04-07-2008 06:51 PM

good thread! I used to play at school, but haven't played at all since then. I'm 26 now. Always wanted to get back into it again but never have. Always fancied playing for a real low quality little pub/village team. Reckon I could still send down a few decent medium/fast ones!

glenn.f 04-07-2008 06:56 PM

Play regular league stuff here in Norfolk every Saturday and numerous mid-week 20 over comps. Was always a bowler for Old Catton seconds until last season when everything clicked with the bat. Unfortunately now have been turned into the first team all-rounder which has taken a bit of time to live up to last years' standard, not helped by a clash of personalities with a former Barnes CC player who is now our club captain.
Enjoying it now, but it does take a couple of years to become established at a club.

Billy Rhino 06-07-2008 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by stinky
good thread! I used to play at school, but haven't played at all since then. I'm 26 now. Always wanted to get back into it again but never have. Always fancied playing for a real low quality little pub/village team. Reckon I could still send down a few decent medium/fast ones!
We only had 10 players yesterday and only just lost. If you're interested I might be able to get you a game next time we're short?

I'd recommend getting some cheap whites from Sports World (trousers are only about 8) along with some cricket pants and the most essential thing, the nut-cup! Other than that, everything else is usually available but I have gone all in, buying a bat, pads etc because we've got a cricket net at work and I want (and desperately need!) to practice.

In fact, I think we might have to concede next week's game due to players going on holiday etc so it seems we're always on the look out for new players.

......and I got out first ball AGAIN........batting average down to 1.66!:(

pfc 06-07-2008 03:45 PM

billy do you play up at Kingswood?

Super-Ste-Cious 06-07-2008 03:57 PM

Used to play for school until, along with playing 2nd XI club cricket until I was 17/18ish. Had to stop becuase of work commitments. Every year I say I'll start up again (only 21), but yet to do so.

Billy Rhino 06-07-2008 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pfc
billy do you play up at Kingswood?
Yep, dont tell me your interested as well? You haven't got enough fingers!

pfc 06-07-2008 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Billy Rhino
Yep, dont tell me your interested as well? You haven't got enough fingers!
like ! i think its as boring as decorating put my company may want to give you a friendly game

drop me an email at work tomorrow

Billy Rhino 06-07-2008 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Super-Ste-Cious
Used to play for school until, along with playing 2nd XI club cricket until I was 17/18ish. Had to stop becuase of work commitments. Every year I say I'll start up again (only 21), but yet to do so.
Dont leave it too long or you'll end up as useless as me!

In this day and age of super-technology with multi-channel TV and the internet, it really does seem that people are playing less and less at most sports. Cricket is a particularly delicate sport to keep going as ground maintenance is expensive so as soon as a team folds and the cricket pitch disappears, it is virtually impossible to get it restarted.

Remember that the next time your missus takes you to Ikea or whichever soul-destroying shop!

Despite my appalling batting so far, I've really enjoyed it so far.
My next task is to learn how to bowl straight......

MasterYoda 07-07-2008 08:52 AM

I play in a team in the cardiff midweek league. Not the best standard in our division but we enjoy it.

Our website is here http://www.cardiffnorthern.co.uk/cricket/

Gazza2 08-07-2008 02:45 PM

Play for Natwest Bank on a Saturday (home ground in Beckenham) and Carlton Sports on a Sunday (rent a ground in Bromley). Saturday team is decent, Sunday team is ok apart from dodgy wicket kepper (who might read this as he is a Palace fan)....

Billy Rhino 08-07-2008 08:35 PM

It's a bit sad really how few people play cricket in this country, considering it's supposed to be our summer national sport.

Must be the lure of Ikea......

Billy Rhino 08-07-2008 08:40 PM

Anyway, it looks like we're short again for Saturday.

Does anyone fancy a game at Kingswood (near Tadworth) this Saturday 2pm start?
We've got a net if you think you need some practice beforehand.....as I do!

Tomo 08-07-2008 08:45 PM

I play Sundays for Woodmansterne 1st and occasionally turn out on the Saturdays. Keep wicket and have a bit of a bat which I blow hot and cold with. Have a pretty decent strike rat. High light being 22 of 7 balls in one match and a 26 from 11 (I think in another).

aj4england 08-07-2008 08:55 PM

I play for Sidcup 1st XI in division 4 of the kent league and Under 16s at sidcup. Used to play for Kent when was 13. 550 runs in 22 games this season average about 25 which is pretty good for an opener.

chris2344 08-07-2008 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Billy Rhino
It's a bit sad really how few people play cricket in this country, considering it's supposed to be our summer national sport.

Must be the lure of Ikea......

I play at Spencer in Wandsworth, have done for about 10 years. We have 600 colts turn up every weekend for coaching and matches, the biggest colts section of any club in the country. There is some promise there, it's not all doom and gloom!

Chester 08-07-2008 11:19 PM

not much good their coaching has done you ;)

GodstoneEagle 09-07-2008 10:50 AM

I play for Godstone, saturday, sundays and Wednesday night Twenty20

Radders 17-07-2008 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gazza2
Sunday team is ok apart from dodgy wicket kepper (who might read this as he is a Palace fan)....

Just seen this. Bastard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:veryangry

KentExpress 17-07-2008 12:41 PM

I used to play for Buckinghamshire at minor counties level & for a number of clubs that included Bromley & Brondesbury.