CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   How do we still only have 2 fit strikers? (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=274222)

dave_who_ru 26-02-2018 05:30 PM

Mutch scoring goals for the under 23s.

Russboy 26-02-2018 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinkie Brown (Post 14133943)
It's not asset stripping its just incompetence. To start a season with 1 striker and 2, not good enough, goalkeepers is madness. To still not put that right 5 months later is pure lunacy. On the plus side I haven't been to Shrewsbury in years (btw we will lose there guaranteed)

I would say it smacks of a halfway house - if we muddle through great, another 100+M to play with. If we go down all the marquee players are sold and the owners pocket the parachute payments to get their money back and make a return.

If not then yes, utter incompetence. As I said on another thread I can't imagine any US sports team with such a poorly constructed squad of players as we have, so I'd be fascinated to hear Blitzer and Harris's thoughts (assuming my first paragraph is incorrect).

IanH 26-02-2018 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinkie Brown (Post 14133943)
On the plus side I haven't been to Shrewsbury in years (btw we will lose there guaranteed)

New ground since we last played there :p

Kai 26-02-2018 05:57 PM

Perhaps finally beating Shrewsbury is Parish's true wet dream, so he does whatever he can for it to come true??

wrightchipvcfc 26-02-2018 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinkie Brown (Post 14133943)
It's not asset stripping its just incompetence. To start a season with 1 striker and 2, not good enough, goalkeepers is madness. To still not put that right 5 months later is pure lunacy. On the plus side I haven't been to Shrewsbury in years (btw we will lose there guaranteed)

Use to love shrewsbury away train stopped right outside away end was a nice pub nearby just the result always seem to be bad remember winning there on a Sunday which was rear having a Sunday game in the 80s

alanlee11 01-10-2018 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanlee11 (Post 14133359)
Apologies for bringing this up again, but I still can't believe the situation we are in and really am surprised more people don't seem perplexed by it.

Let's have a look at some clubs that are similar to us in size and time spent in the top flight recently:

Bournemouth = x4 fit strikers, including Wilson, King and Defoe (all capable options)

Burnley = x4 strikers (Wood has a small injury right now)

Brighton (only just promoted) = x5 fit striker, including Murray, Ulloa.

Watford = x4 fit strikers

So imagine going half a season watching your only fit striker (Benteke) get injured and then turn in a terrible first half of the campaign, low on confidence and way way out of form. Let's not forget that Campbell left in June and Wickham got injured over a year ago! So really this situation should have been dealt with six months ago.

Not a criticism of Sorloth, he may well come good, but how on earth have we not brought in at least one more striker with something to actually offer instead of Benteke?!? Just someone with experience and a certain style of play - no need to try and get someone to score 20+ goals, just someone, almost for the sake of having another option.

The same thing applies to our current situation with wingers. Sako was injured before the window closed and yet we rolled on with just Wilf and Townsend, and you know what happened next...

Staggering complacency or terrible management of FFP from the owners. I am very concerned by Steve Parish's approach to this all, which was unforgettably spelt out in his "maybe the sun won't com up" Twitter rant in autumn last year. Gambling on not getting injuries in a season when we've already had real injury problems is a ridiculous risk to take in the January window.

Jach and Rakip - wow. Two of the poorest signings we've ever made. Before you say "you've not even seen them play" - that is the whole point, THEY ARE NOT READY TO PLAY. The manager won't select them, so what's the point?!?! How complacent would you have to be to buy only the three players we bought. The poor manager was crying out for players. He explicitly said he need to bring in a goalkeeper and we messed it up, embarrassingly being exposed by another chairman for our clumsy, disrespectful last minute bid for their goalie. As for Rakip on a six month loan, what is that about?

Roy worked a miracle dragging us out of that mess from the start of the season.

After five years in the top flight and I still feel decisions are made on recruitment based on Steve Parish's hunches, which are no more intuitive than
yours or mine.

Strangely only Spurs are gambling as much as we are, with just Kane and Llorente.

I still think the chairman has A LOT to answer for in this department. The Premier League striker recruitment (lack of) has let us down for a long time now.

AddoWolz 02-10-2018 04:40 AM

Benteke and Wickham are taking close to £2 million pounds out of the club between them every 10 weeks for almost 0 return , don't think the club can afford to go out and get another striker.
As a side note PVA has scored more goals in the last year than all our strikers combined :eek: stick the boy upfront :p

Palace Yankee 02-10-2018 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AddoWolz (Post 14449585)
Benteke and Wickham are taking close to £2 million pounds out of the club between them every 10 weeks for almost 0 return , don't think the club can afford to go out and get another striker.
As a side note PVA has scored more goals in the last year than all our strikers combined :eek: stick the boy upfront :p

Could be inspired. Maybe boning up at left back wasn't such a fancy after all.

Adlerhorst 02-10-2018 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russboy (Post 14133969)
I would say it smacks of a halfway house - if we muddle through great, another 100+M to play with. If we go down all the marquee players are sold and the owners pocket the parachute payments to get their money back and make a return.

If not then yes, utter incompetence. As I said on another thread I can't imagine any US sports team with such a poorly constructed squad of players as we have, so I'd be fascinated to hear Blitzer and Harris's thoughts (assuming my first paragraph is incorrect).

You need to watch more us sports. For instance Jack Zís Mariners.

Penstone Eagle 02-10-2018 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradpitt (Post 14133473)
Negligence

This.

Dogburger 02-10-2018 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrightchipvcfc (Post 14134183)
Use to love shrewsbury away train stopped right outside away end was a nice pub nearby just the result always seem to be bad remember winning there on a Sunday which was rear having a Sunday game in the 80s

Never saw the pub ,always remember getting escorted straight into the ground ,herded like cattle through a series of barriers hour and half before KO . And the pies were awful ,the tea weak as piss and the pre match entertainment was betting on pigeons landing in the centre circle . F4cking horrible place , should have given the town to Wales and closed the border


Anyway ,yes two fit strikers ,well if you can call them that . The club has shown no ambition whatsoever in the last year to address the fact that they cant rely on Benteke to get goals , for me a main requirement for a striker

aj4england 02-10-2018 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AddoWolz (Post 14449585)
Benteke and Wickham are taking close to £2 million pounds out of the club between them every 10 weeks for almost 0 return , don't think the club can afford to go out and get another striker.
As a side note PVA has scored more goals in the last year than all our strikers combined :eek: stick the boy upfront :p

No Scotty Dan is the man especially for the last 20 mins

alanlee11 02-11-2018 01:51 PM

Wickham injured.

Now we only have Sorloth.

Sun hasn't come up Mr Parish.

Prince Phillip 02-11-2018 01:54 PM

Wilf’d better hurry up and turn into Thierry Henry, then. What’s the hold up?

thefox 02-11-2018 01:54 PM

We need to get all 4 of them off the books asap.

alanlee11 02-11-2018 01:55 PM

how has this mess dragged on for over a year now!?!

Mr Palace 02-11-2018 02:14 PM

We need a complete overhaul of our strikers. I wouldn't be against all of them being sold/moved on and us being able to start again (obviously I'm not including Wilf in that).

Pound for pound it's the worst strikeforce in the league.

Mr Palace 02-11-2018 02:14 PM

We need a complete overhaul of our strikers. I wouldn't be against all of them being sold/moved on and us being able to start again (obviously I'm not including Wilf in that).

Pound for pound it's the worst strikeforce in the league.

eaglejez 02-11-2018 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanlee11 (Post 14490115)
Wickham injured.

Now we only have Sorloth.

Sun hasn't come up Mr Parish.

so we have zero fit strikers :(

alanlee11 02-11-2018 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglejez (Post 14490169)
so we have zero fit strikers :(

only Palace could have a striker crisis a year ago and manage to worsen on it the following year


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.