CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Transfer Hotline (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Discussion: McCarthy gone? (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=284113)

brooklynlou 06-06-2021 11:18 PM

McCarthy gone?

https://www.extratime.com/articles/2...-league-clubs/

"Republic of Ireland international James McCarthy has been included as one of the ten Irish players included in the Premier League released list."

Hazbaz 06-06-2021 11:48 PM

Not exactly a surprise it was widely reported he wanted to go back to Celtic so possible he ran his contract down rather than us not wanting to retain

hughff 07-06-2021 12:36 AM

From the same article: "Kian Flanagan and experienced goalkeeper Stephen Henderson have also both left Palace." Again, no surprises there.

Hedgehog 07-06-2021 01:33 AM

McCarthy gone?

Is there not another article out there showing a list of 22 players out of contract. All at this time have “left” Palace, which I doubt will actually happen. Or should I say I would be surprised if all 22 left Palace

McCarthy being one of them.

TheCharmer1 07-06-2021 03:24 AM

palace have up until the last week of June to re sign them don't they? Shame McCarthy is leaving, IF fit, he's probably one of our better ones and would certainly add bite and tenacity to the squad

EmmerGreenEagle 07-06-2021 04:49 AM

To be quite honest his best days were far behind him. Another player who was always injured,which is no good to us.

Scifo 07-06-2021 05:52 AM

The released list doesn't mean anything. Every player who hasn't yet re-signed is automatically on the released list.

Townsend, Ward, Cahill and everyone else are all on the released list.

Dobbo 07-06-2021 05:55 AM

It would not be a good start if our new manager decided to re-sign him.

mickymags 07-06-2021 07:14 AM

The likes of McCarthy are now free agents, doesn't mean it's not possible they will sign contracts at Palace, just means that at this particular moment they are not attached to any club.

El Aguila 07-06-2021 07:16 AM

Needs replacing with the player he was ten years ago.

LuieJack 07-06-2021 07:22 AM

McCarthy leaving was simply one of many on that list moving out in the next few days ahead. Which poses a nightmare scenario facing the new manager when appointed, so is it any wonder there is hardly any genuine progress made making an appointment, i am sure Steve and his team have been busy contacting potential candidates but it's convincing them seems to be the issue especially if they feel the transfer budget does not match the task.

MFBias 07-06-2021 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scifo (Post 15828734)
The released list doesn't mean anything. Every player who hasn't yet re-signed is automatically on the released list.

Townsend, Ward, Cahill and everyone else are all on the released list.

This is an retort I hear alot.
Well we could sign anyone on a free transfer. It’s not a big indication we are going to keep them and they are free to sign with another club. At most we may re-sign one or two but I think most will not be signed.

jhc 07-06-2021 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickymags (Post 15828770)
The likes of McCarthy are now free agents, doesn't mean it's not possible they will sign contracts at Palace, just means that at this particular moment they are not attached to any club.

Exactly, but the sooner the new manager situation is sorted out, the sooner we can rubber stamp who is going and who is staying.
Undoubtedly some on that list will stay, but we don't want a situation where we leave it too late and those players we might like to keep take it into their own hands and find new clubs.
They have their futures to consider so they're not going to hang about if someone else comes in and offers them a contract.
I'm particularly thinking about Ward & Townsend who have arguably been more deserving of a new contract than perhaps CB.

mickymags 07-06-2021 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhc (Post 15828854)
Exactly, but the sooner the new manager situation is sorted out, the sooner we can rubber stamp who is going and who is staying.
Undoubtedly some on that list will stay, but we don't want a situation where we leave it too late and those players we might like to keep take it into their own hands and find new clubs.
They have their futures to consider so they're not going to hang about if someone else comes in and offers them a contract.
I'm particularly thinking about Ward & Townsend who have arguably been more deserving of a new contract than perhaps CB.

Agreed but I guess they're both weighing up their options too, as both are at the stage where this could be their last lucrative move.

Cpfcbob 07-06-2021 02:55 PM

Contracts don't expire until END of June so not sure how the press is issuing this tripe.

AJ 07-06-2021 03:42 PM

Had me worried there, I thought it was Paddy!

GreatGonzo 07-06-2021 03:44 PM

Clubs have until 23 June to register their lists of retained and released players.

A current version is available on the PL website and it includes McCarthy but not Benteke so is more recent than his contract update. It also includes Cahill Dann and Ward so i doubt it is the final version yet.

Jim Bhoy 18-06-2021 02:30 PM

Best defensive midfielder we had in the last 2 seasons when fit. More aggressive and mobile than Jairo and Luka and a much better player than either of them.

Stavros 69 18-06-2021 02:33 PM

Someone's started early.

Bert_P 18-06-2021 02:51 PM

did he even play this season