CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

red&blue_moomin 08-11-2020 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick Bucket (Post 15495791)
Yeah some of the comments about Luka are ridiculous, ok he's not been playing particularly well recently but there's been plenty of time when he's been our best player.

Anyway I like JR a lot and it was refreshing to see him and Eze starting yesterday.

Luka AND Jairo should be our best two man midfield. Luka didn't really have a proper look pre season and I think it's showing. However I'm certain over the season we will get them both clicking together.

glaziers fan 08-11-2020 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red&blue_moomin (Post 15495804)
Luka AND Jairo should be our best two man midfield. Luka didn't really have a proper look pre season and I think it's showing. However I'm certain over the season we will get them both clicking together.

Absolutely. Riedewald will bring out the best in Luka, like Cabaye did.

We know Milivojevic takes about 6 games to get going at the start of a season. It'll come good once he's up to speed. Riedewald is our best centre mid, but Luka is not far behind when he is not asked to be the playmaker. No disrespect to the Maccas who have other qualities but passing is not their strength. LM and JR will thrive as our centre mid pairing. BUT Eze on the free-kicks/corners please ;)

LuieJack 08-11-2020 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick Bucket (Post 15495791)
Yeah some of the comments about Luka are ridiculous, ok he's not been playing particularly well recently but there's been plenty of time when he's been our best player.

Anyway I like JR a lot and it was refreshing to see him and Eze starting yesterday.

Sadly some fans have short memories, it is important to remember that he can still add quality and strength in depth to the squad now that Riedewald has come through and moving forward should be paired with Eze alongside, that pairing can add grit also flair centrally.

palace910 08-11-2020 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisophiex (Post 15495790)
Didnít FdB take AWB on pre-season ? Thatís what I meant, anyway :p

Potentially! The only thing I remember about that tour was FDB playing Luka as part of a back three :D

gilesy14 08-11-2020 12:00 PM

Look at our record without Luka since the beginning of last season. Itís damming. He has been below par for over 2 seasons now. Heís behind Jairo, the 2 Jimmyís & even Kouyate should he move out of defence.

I think some of you are blinded by his penalties. Since heís been out the team, others have flourished. Jairo dictating the middle of the park. Wilf bagging pens. & Eze scoring a free kick & assisting from a corner. Saying he is our best partner for Jairo is completely unfounded - & as I say, stats show we are better without him.

glaziers fan 08-11-2020 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilesy14 (Post 15495826)
Look at our record without Luka since the beginning of last season. It’s damming. He has been below par for over 2 seasons now. He’s behind Jairo, the 2 Jimmy’s & even Kouyate should he move out of defence.

I think some of you are blinded by his penalties. Since he’s been out the team, others have flourished. Jairo dictating the middle of the park. Wilf bagging pens. & Eze scoring a free kick & assisting from a corner. Saying he is our best partner for Jairo is completely unfounded - & as I say, stats show we are better without him.

The issue for Milivojevic is that Kouyate and the Maccas are so shit at passing that he basically had a different role when playing with them - he had to try to be the playmaker, and he isn't one. Luka's form nosedived when Cabaye left. It's not a coincidence. Luka will be back to his best alongside Riedewald imho. JR will take the pressure off Luka needing to create.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 08-11-2020 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenn.f (Post 15495702)
Might be worth pointing that out to Roy, who was still bemoaning the loss of Luka to his red card. Suspect he would have started had he been available to Roy, but you'd like to think the management may notice a bit more that we often do pretty well without him.

He wouldn't have started today. Roy is just bemoaning a harsh decision.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 08-11-2020 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mushroom (Post 15495749)
Very good performance. Although I think he sometimes loses players. There were gaps between midfield and defence... Bamfords disallowed goal - Leeds players had time to get his head up, see Bamfords run and pick a pass... There were also a few occasions Vs Wolves where players were able to drop off and find space

Yep. That's why despite all the positive aspects he still has things to work on. As others have said ducking out of the header on that corner could have been very costly too.

I think he's been good lately but not brilliant. Much improved and great to have a different option though.

Mr Palace 08-11-2020 12:10 PM

He’s been excellent. The midfield looks better with someone who can retain the ball. Of course he has things to improve but he’s been very good.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 08-11-2020 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisophiex (Post 15495779)
Well, that and AWB.

What did FDB do with AWB apart from 1 or 2 pre-season games on the wing.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 08-11-2020 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuieJack (Post 15495813)
Sadly some fans have short memories, it is important to remember that he can still add quality and strength in depth to the squad now that Riedewald has come through and moving forward should be paired with Eze alongside, that pairing can add grit also flair centrally.

Plenty on here wanted us to get rid of Townsend this summer too but he has bounced back really well and sounds like he's doing a great job working with Eze too.

gilesy14 08-11-2020 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glaziers fan (Post 15495832)
The issue for Milivojevic is that Kouyate and the Maccas are so shit at passing that he basically had a different role when playing with them - he had to try to be the playmaker, and he isn't one. Luka's form nosedived when Cabaye left. It's not a coincidence. Luka will be back to his best alongside Riedewald imho. JR will take the pressure off Luka needing to create.

Lukaís passing has been as shit as anybodies for ages. With Jairo in there, who is better at passing than Luka will ever be - itís more important to have someone with the correct temperament next to him to help on the defensive side. Not someone who picks up stupid bookings continually (usually early on) & then takes himself out of the game basically as heís unable to make any proper challenges for the remainder of the game.

glaziers fan 08-11-2020 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilesy14 (Post 15495861)
Luka’s passing has been as shit as anybodies for ages. With Jairo in there, who is better at passing than Luka will ever be - it’s more important to have someone with the correct temperament next to him to help on the defensive side. Not someone who picks up stupid bookings continually (usually early on) & then takes himself out of the game basically as he’s unable to make any proper challenges for the remainder of the game.

Luka's passing was good under Big Sam when he had Cabaye next to him. I remember him setting up goals with defence-splitting passes, and Big Sam saying that his passing was as good as any of our midfielders even though LM is the defensive mid :eek: His passing through the lines is actually very good when not under pressure, and with someone like Jairo next to him it should take the pressure off.

Milivojevic is the best defensively of all our midfielders. He wins more ball than any of them, and is rarely out of position. I agree about his accumulation of early yellow cards and silly fouls last season. But it hasn't always been like that. As long as the whole team continue to work hard off the ball to make up for their lack of pace, I strongly believe that JR and LM is the best midfield pairing at the club. By miles.

glaziers fan 08-11-2020 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 15495841)
He wouldn't have started today. Roy is just bemoaning a harsh decision.

I think he would have done. He was ok at Wolves apart from the red card. It was Schlupp who had his usual bad game in centre mid that cost us vs Wolves. That 4-3-3 experiment is hopefully over. Milivojevic needs game time, and once he's up to speed I don't think the Maccas will get a look in, other than off the bench or to cover injuries.

Celestial Empire 08-11-2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExiledStirling (Post 15495375)
He is not worthy of a starting position for us right now or perhaps even on the bench but ffs show the bloke some respect, he has been good player for us.

Don't worry, we'll miss a couple of pens and Luka will suddenly return to favour. ;)

glaziers fan 08-11-2020 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 15495856)
Plenty on here wanted us to get rid of Townsend this summer too but he has bounced back really well and sounds like he's doing a great job working with Eze too.

Yes, I was one of them, I hold my hands up. But Townsend has always had ability on the ball, and defensive qualities due to his insane engine. Key will be the right back behind him having pace and ability to overlap, but hope we can keep Townsend for a few more years yet.

Milvojevic will turn it around. Just hope Jairo can keep up his form. A midfield 4 of Eze-----Riedewald---Milivojevic---Townsend should be decent, and balanced.

Celestial Empire 08-11-2020 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilesy14 (Post 15495826)
Look at our record without Luka since the beginning of last season. It’s damming. He has been below par for over 2 seasons now. He’s behind Jairo, the 2 Jimmy’s & even Kouyate should he move out of defence.

I think some of you are blinded by his penalties. Since he’s been out the team, others have flourished. Jairo dictating the middle of the park. Wilf bagging pens. & Eze scoring a free kick & assisting from a corner. Saying he is our best partner for Jairo is completely unfounded - & as I say, stats show we are better without him.

RH, who actually knows what is going on with his squad, has indicated that he sees Jairo 'n Luka as our preferred mid-field pair.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 08-11-2020 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glaziers fan (Post 15495885)
I think he would have done. He was ok at Wolves apart from the red card. It was Schlupp who had his usual bad game in centre mid that cost us vs Wolves. That 4-3-3 experiment is hopefully over. Milivojevic needs game time, and once he's up to speed I don't think the Maccas will get a look in, other than off the bench or to cover injuries.

I think Roy likes McArthur a lot.

glaziers fan 08-11-2020 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 15495923)
I think Roy likes McArthur a lot.

See the post above. Roy likes McArthur a lot but prefers Milivojevic and Riedewald!

glaziers fan 08-11-2020 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celestial Empire (Post 15495918)
RH, who actually knows what is going on with his squad, has indicated that he sees Jairo 'n Luka as our preferred mid-field pair.

Has he? Where has he indicated that in public?