CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   The Politics Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Labour Leadership Election - vote now! (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=280969)

cockneyrebel 14-01-2020 09:44 AM

Labour Leadership Election - vote now!

Put your votes in!

Skintagain 14-01-2020 10:23 AM

Why is there no meh option?

Nth Kent Eagle 14-01-2020 10:54 AM

Lisa.

El Aguila 14-01-2020 11:05 AM

I really don't know, yet. Whoever has the best chance of winning an election, of course, but you also want someone honest and who gives a shit about people, who won't bend to pressure from every protest group going.

Poosence 14-01-2020 11:16 AM

I can see benefits from Phillips, Starmer and Nandy. Thornberry is reasonable to have in shadow cabinet but not a leader surely. RLB would be a disaster and the banter outcome would be a RLB/Burgon ticket.

GreatGonzo 14-01-2020 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poosence (Post 15059686)
I can see benefits from Phillips, Starmer and Nandy. Thornberry is reasonable to have in shadow cabinet but not a leader surely. RLB would be a disaster and the banter outcome would be a RLB/Burgon ticket.

RLB has the issue of after the 1st round, which she will get through where are the votes going to go?

Lets say Thornberry is first to go, which candidate are her supporters most likely to turn to next, then Phillips, then Nandy etc.

Surely those votes will go disproportionately to Starmer over RLB. What might look close after round 1 is likely to not be so close from there on in.

IMO unless RLB has 45%+ in round one, she will not win.

ExiledStirling 14-01-2020 11:28 AM

I want to vote Philips as I like her and her heartfelt passion.

I do not mind that at times her passion is displayed with a too emotional response at times, but just feel if she cannot keep it in check then it is not a personality trait that lends itself to being leader. I am not sure she can so cannot vote for her on here.

However as none of the others appeal, I hope she wins the real vote and proves me wrong.

ANDYEAGLE 14-01-2020 11:29 AM

Voted Nandy. Would put Starmer in second place and Phillips last. Much better if this poll was not secret.

olivertwist 14-01-2020 11:31 AM

Lisa Nandy is my pick

Joe85 14-01-2020 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExiledStirling (Post 15059698)
I want to vote Philips as I like her and her heartfelt passion.

I do not mind that at times her passion is displayed with a too emotional response at times, but just feel if she cannot keep it in check then it is not a personality trait that lends itself to being leader. I am not sure she can so cannot vote for her on here.

However as none of the others appeal, I hope she wins the real vote and proves me wrong.

For me its a trait were lacking. Too many robotic shithouses after the other.

Shed absolute destroy Johnson at the dispatch box. Please let it happen.

El Aguila 14-01-2020 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatGonzo (Post 15059689)
RLB has the issue of after the 1st round, which she will get through where are the votes going to go?

Lets say Thornberry is first to go, which candidate are her supporters most likely to turn to next, then Phillips, then Nandy etc.

Surely those votes will go disproportionately to Starmer over RLB. What might look close after round 1 is likely to not be so close from there on in.

IMO unless RLB has 45%+ in round one, she will not win.

She's not up to it, anyway.

ExiledStirling 14-01-2020 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe85 (Post 15059709)
For me its a trait were lacking. Too many robotic shithouses after the other.

Shed absolute destroy Johnson at the dispatch box. Please let it happen.

It is not about not being robotic it is about being appealing to the British public. Being too emotional may put people off.

She needs to change and hold her at times OTT emotion in check.

GreatGonzo 14-01-2020 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExiledStirling (Post 15059720)
It is not about not being robotic it is about being appealing to the British public. Being too emotional may put people off.

She needs to change and hold her at times OTT emotion in check.

Phillips and Rayner on a dream ticket there! :eek:

Starmer will win by a 30+ points if it gets to the final round, might not get that far though.

adrenalin john 14-01-2020 12:10 PM

My views, through the prism of personal prejudice, media slant and direct speeches, stetements and House of Commons performances.

RLB - just no, seems dogmatic rather than intelligent, charisma free, doesn't present well. Weak, inexperienced just doesn't get large parts of the real world.

Jess Philips - hard not to like her, seems like the sort you could have a passionate but fun and lively debate with in the pub, and as an MP someone to rely on to help. But leader? Just don't see it.

Keir Starmer - I like him. I like his libertarian and humanitarian approach. He bridges the liberal and labour divide and seems more practical than dogmatic. He also has the intellectual capacity, attention to detail and skill set to be an excellent Prime Minister. However can he lead the party, can he cut through to all sections of the public? He appeals to me but even I have long wanted him to break out of the constrained shell he seems to wear. Time will tell. However if you think he only became an MP in 2015, if his star continues to rise at the same rate he could be quite the leader by 2024. He has put in one the most impressive (to me) HoC performances ever.

Lisa N - She is the candidate I know the least about, and therefore won't vote until I have seen what the fuss is about. She definitely seems to be impressing some but to date has passed me by. Looking forward to seeing her with Andrew Neil. The only downside is Eddysklad seems in love with her, and the thought the BBS's own Andy Pandy having a Nandy hand-shandy is off putting in the extreme.

Thornberry - Seems the archetypal competent minor cabinet minister, who just doesn't have the magnetism, dynamism or intellect to go further.

Oli28 14-01-2020 12:32 PM

I want Phillips but I'd vote for Starmer if I was still a member as he's by far the best bet to win an election.

Lingfield Eagle 14-01-2020 12:41 PM

As I can't see Labour winning the next election I'd vote for Starmer to steady the ship and restore some credibility whilst either Nandy or Phillips learn the ropes and gain experience with a view to taking over in the longer term. I think they have to play the long game.

DaveTuttles 14-01-2020 12:47 PM

Doesnt exactly inspire you does it? When is this all over so we can start to enjoy our lives again

Wolfnipplechips 14-01-2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveTuttles (Post 15059798)
Doesnt exactly inspire you does it? When is this all over so we can start to enjoy our lives again

Pray for Dave.

eddieskyclad 14-01-2020 02:38 PM

I'm making a bold prediction that Nandy will win - she'll be 2nd or 3rd on every ballot until the last one. She'll sweep up the second preference votes though. Starmer will lead until the last round but the optics of him vs. 4 women will severely hamper his chances.

eddieskyclad 14-01-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrenalin john (Post 15059737)
and the thought the BBS's own Andy Pandy having a Nandy hand-shandy is off putting in the extreme.

I don't know whether this is the best thing I've ever read on the BBS or the worst.