CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Help I know f*ck all about Cricket! (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=221706)

Tweeny2 18-07-2011 08:05 PM

Help I know f*ck all about Cricket!

Right, help needed and pretty quick folks. My (ex) Father-in-law (we're still friendly etc.) is properly in to Cricket and a MCC member. He called earlier and asked if my son and I want 2 spare tickets to go to Lords on Sunday which I accepted as although I've no interest in Cricket and have never been thought it could be fun/an event etc.

Anyway, the only problem is his Grandson (aged nearly 12) and I know nothing, and I do mean nothing, about Cricket so any advice on what to do/not to do would be most appreciated.

Tomo 18-07-2011 08:28 PM

it depends where you are seated.

Just go and have a good day. Don't go thinking it will be like any of the T20's

kabbott 18-07-2011 08:33 PM

One team is in and one is out.
The team that's in goes out
And the team that's out goes out
And tries to get the team that's in out.
When the team that's in is out they go in
And the team that was out is in
And then it's time for tea.

Tweeny2 18-07-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomo

So an all day match is likely to bore us both ridged then especially as we're unlikely to know what's going on ??? :(

dan27 18-07-2011 08:35 PM

Just cheer when they hit it for a home run - when they run between the 3 sticks after they hit the ball.

And the batsman is out if their stumps (the 3 sticks) are hit or they get caught (one hand one bounce rule is likely to apply with it being at Lords) :p

Do that and you can't go wrong!

ChristalPalace 18-07-2011 08:35 PM

The stewards are a bit arsey at Lord's in my experience. They only let you move from your seat to get a drink (etc) at the end of each over (6 balls per over; the fielders move around and a different bowler bowls from the opposite end).

Tweeny2 18-07-2011 08:41 PM

That's more like it. Now I'm learning something!

I have to be honest, I always thought Cricket was a game they played in the summer to let you realize just how much you really missed football but I'll now go with an open mind.

dan27 18-07-2011 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweeny2
That's more like it. Now I'm learning something!

I have to be honest, I always thought Cricket was a game they played in the summer to let you realize just how much you really missed football but I'll now go with an open mind.

Not all of my information was accurate....

Tweeny2 18-07-2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan27
Not all of my information was accurate....

I thought so Dumb-Ass as a home run is when the ball goes through the net thing in Basketball isn't it?

Pistol Knight 18-07-2011 08:56 PM

Damn I thought this may have been a thread from a weed fan saying they knew fvck all about football :)

Dal 18-07-2011 08:57 PM

I bought one of these years ago when I started playing cricket, and it was a great help. Think you can get them on the High Street still.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluffers-Gui.../dp/1906042578

little al 18-07-2011 09:03 PM

I was invited to the Oval v West Indies a few years ago by some BBSers. I know sod all about cricket, but it is a top top day out.

brooklynlou 18-07-2011 09:09 PM

Its like rounders, but you don't run around ....

Hitchin Eagle 18-07-2011 09:12 PM

Radio commentators descriptions of two classic moments in cricket:

"He (Botham) couldn't get his leg over."

"The bowler's Holding the batsman's Willey."

Now does it sound interesting?

Tweeny2 18-07-2011 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by little al
I was invited to the Oval v West Indies a few years ago by some BBSers. I know sod all about cricket, but it is a top top day out.

What was the good, bad or ugly of your day out??? Any tips for a fellow novice?

Tweeny2 18-07-2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomo

Just had an e-mail from the Ex-Father in Law including the following which may mean something to you?

"The tickets are beeing sent to me and so we will meet at the ground. You don't have to be dressed up with jacket and tie like I have to if I go into the pavillion but reasonably tidy atire is the order of the day as we will all be sitting together in what are called member's friend's seats.

I suggest that you google Lords cricket ground and identify where "The Grace Gates" are located as that is where I will meet you and I suggest that you call my mobile when you are near to the gates."

We can always spend the quite bits discussing what a pain in the arse his Daughter/my Ex Wife is (out of earshot of the Lad of course!)

SpikeyMatt 18-07-2011 09:31 PM

Watch, listen and learn. The best song you'll ever hear about cricket.

Polish Prancer 18-07-2011 09:36 PM

Tweeny2 18-07-2011 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dal
I bought one of these years ago when I started playing cricket, and it was a great help. Think you can get them on the High Street still.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluffers-Gui.../dp/1906042578

That's fantastic, many thanks. I'll seek out a copy or Cricket for Dummies tomorrow and get reading. To be fair the first Father in Law is good company (Ex Plod CID/Posh but has lived a bit!) and a life long Palace fan to boot :)

little al 18-07-2011 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweeny2
What was the good, bad or ugly of your day out??? Any tips for a fellow novice?

Do you like to drink? If so, you will have a great day.