CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Letís Talk About Roy and Creativity: #1 Max Mayer (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=278063)

Old Joe Paxton 10-02-2019 12:04 AM

Letís Talk About Roy and Creativity: #1 Max Mayer

Roy doesnít historically deal with or work especially well with creative players, esp in midfield.

Is he capable of doing so?

Discuss.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels 10-02-2019 12:10 AM

No. You are a twat.

CP-RJW 10-02-2019 12:12 AM

Haven’t paid much attention to his managerial record with creative players. Examples?

TennesseeKing 10-02-2019 12:12 AM

I was thinking the exact same thing earlier.

Is he capable of doing so? I think so. Roy seemed to like using Wilshere for England even when not fit, and he brought in Danny Murphy at Fulham. They were both fairly creative types, used deeper though and probably more combative so that might explain that.

I do agree it's very frustrating though, Meyer clearly is on a different level to most of the team in an attacking sense and one of the only players on a similar wavelength to Wilf. I don't really think we need to have 3 grafters in midfield, we sacrifice way too much not having someone like Meyer in there able to thread midfield with the attack.

Harry Holmesdale 10-02-2019 12:15 AM

Meyer should be more involved but we created enough to win the game today

Old Joe Paxton 10-02-2019 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels (Post 14640278)
No. You are a twat.

Really? Thatís a cultured response to an open question. Twat.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels 10-02-2019 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Joe Paxton (Post 14640288)
Really? Thatís a cultured response to an open question. Twat.

Two wrongs don't make a right. You are still a knobber anyway.

Old Joe Paxton 10-02-2019 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14640282)
Havenít paid much attention to his managerial record with creative players. Examples?

No nor me hence my generally open question - responded to with open abuse above - regarding Roy Hodgson being more comfortable with box to box midfielders rather than creative but more ephemeral players.

Still I suspect Wooden Head or whatever above will respond more reasonably in the morning..,

Old Joe Paxton 10-02-2019 12:22 AM

As I say, maybe in the morning he may be more pleasant

Owngoal 10-02-2019 12:24 AM

Ian Wright on MOTD - I wish Roy would start Meyer as there looks to be something special between him and Wilf

TennesseeKing 10-02-2019 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Joe Paxton (Post 14640293)
No nor me hence my generally open question - responded to with open abuse above - regarding Roy Hodgson being more comfortable with box to box midfielders rather than creative but more ephemeral players.

Still I suspect Wooden Head or whatever above will respond more reasonably in the morning..,

I think he's open to players being creative, on the condition that they can stick a foot in and dictate play from deeper. Cabaye last season, Wilshere, Mulumbu and Murphy are testament to that. I think the problem comes from, does he ever play with a genuine playmaker? That I'm not so sure about, he's got his tactical rigidity that he drills his players within, so they're a well oiled machine. In fairness, it works to a decent extent. The players know their roles and are able to do jobs with a simplicity you wouldn't get from many other managers.

Whilst I think Hodgson is a good manager, I'm not sure he's getting the most from what he has. Meyer doesn't seem to fit into what he wants from his teams therefore he gets shoehorned onto the left side of midfield or 15 minute cameos. And given Roy hasn't ever really played with attacking midfielders, but with two up front and two wingers/wide midfielders I question if he's ever likely going to get a proper run unless he can add some real bite to his game, which is another strange thing because he's a lot better at tackling and intercepting than given credit for, when people call him lightweight etc.

ebyeeckeagle 10-02-2019 12:33 AM

It makes it look like a series of creative players that Roy is overlooking. #2 is ?????

asus 10-02-2019 12:37 AM

I don't know the answer to the op. What I do know is I saw more creativity today than under any of our last few premier League managers.

CP-RJW 10-02-2019 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asus (Post 14640306)
I don't know the answer to the op. What I do know is I saw more creativity today than under any of our last few premier League managers.

Yep, stiff competition from Pardew, Allardyce and Pulis. Known world over for their expressive, creative teams.

TennesseeKing 10-02-2019 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asus (Post 14640306)

I don't think many would disagree with you that he gets his teams playing decent football, creating chances etc.

I think the question people are asking is, with the players he has available is he using what he has to its greatest potential? I'm not sure personally. I would say you need to take it or leave it with Roy though, he's an old school sort of manager and he's not going to change now realistically. We're in fairly steady hands with him as manager even though I think Meyer is being wasted hugely, so there are pros and cons to his management.

Battle EAGLE 10-02-2019 12:44 AM

Max should start, he deserves his chance quality player.

ebyeeckeagle 10-02-2019 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Joe Paxton (Post 14640293)
No nor me hence my generally open question - responded to with open abuse above - regarding Roy Hodgson being more comfortable with box to box midfielders rather than creative but more ephemeral players. ..,

Except it wasn't an open question you asked, was it?

You stated in the OP that he doesn't work well with creative players. I'm not sure where in his very long career that is evidenced. If it is a genuine question, then you posited it incorrectly?

TennesseeKing 10-02-2019 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebyeeckeagle (Post 14640314)
Except it wasn't an open question you asked, was it?

You stated in the OP that he doesn't work well with creative players. I'm not sure where in his very long career that is evidenced. If it is a genuine question, then you posited it incorrectly?

Not sure that's a fair judgement is it? He's posted a question alongside his opinion. One which you're entitled to disagree with.

I don't think it's fair to say he never works well with creative players because plenty of creative players have done well under him. It's just the type he uses are different to the way you would utilise Meyer for full effectiveness.

It's all subject to individual interpretation, and it was a completely valid question.

Jonboy 10-02-2019 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennesseeKing (Post 14640299)
... he's got his tactical rigidity that he drills his players within, so they're a well oiled machine. In fairness, it works to a decent extent. The players know their roles and are able to do jobs with a simplicity you wouldn't get from many other managers.

This is what it is all about. There is a tactical plan and Roy picks the players best suited to execute the plan. You need much more talented players than we have got to just say, "don't worry about tactics boys, just go out there and express yourselves."

macstar 10-02-2019 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels (Post 14640278)
No. You are a twat.

let the bloke talk.. are you the king of the BBS?