CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 15-11-2020 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psych (Post 15501220)
This idea that with players like Meyer ‘just need the right players playing alongside them’ is a bit strange. Firstly, we don’t have the luxury of doing this. And secondly, surely this is only done with the great and the very good, eg the Messis of the world? Building a team around a player unproven at this level is not practical or even desirable. Players at this level prove their worth by being able to adapt to their team and manager’s system. To his credit, Jairo has done this; Meyer has not (for whatever reason).

Completely. Meyer has shown absolutely nothing to suggest we should build a team around him or alter our formation to facilitate him and his strengths.

brooklynlou 15-11-2020 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 15502698)
Completely. Meyer has shown absolutely nothing to suggest we should build a team around him or alter our formation to facilitate him and his strengths.

This. And to be honest, I haven’t seen Meyer do anything on the pitch in his time here that ever made me say “wow”.

Palace43 15-11-2020 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 15502698)
Completely. Meyer has shown absolutely nothing to suggest we should build a team around him or alter our formation to facilitate him and his strengths.

I agree, there's obviously a good PL player in there somewhere. But there doesn't seem to be any desire by him to become that.

aj4england 15-11-2020 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuieJack (Post 15500057)
It is all about opinions. I would suggest Meyer is not as bad as the case you put forward, how can he be? think back to when he arrived and how highly he was thought off, also as a full German International aged just 22yrs old suggests he was no mug. I would say rightly or wrongly it is more a question of him becoming disillusioned at CPFC due to a lack of game time, which i feel is a real pity as he could have been that missing link but more likely is we were the wrong club to suit his game. And now clearly RH has lost patience and his days are numbered, which is best for all concerned.

He’s not as bad as some make out , but has not put his name on a place in the team. In the last 25 mins when the pace of the game drops he a ok sub , but so was Johnny Williams. He’s also in the duldrums. He might pick up elsewhere or under a new manager , but given his wages he’s likely to leave

Ticehurst 15-11-2020 08:47 PM

Big big disappointment Max will follow his career came here with big expectations.If you look at jairo he's admitted when he first came over he didn't learn the lingo and was obviously not up to the pace now everything is coming good for him.stll think there's a player in Meyer but I summice he will end up at a mid table German team shame as he seems a likeable kid and the younger fans do rate him as they see him as a bit of a baller..but I don't think he will make it in england

mte103 17-11-2020 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ticehurst (Post 15502890)
Big big disappointment Max will follow his career came here with big expectations.If you look at jairo he's admitted when he first came over he didn't learn the lingo and was obviously not up to the pace now everything is coming good for him.stll think there's a player in Meyer but I summice he will end up at a mid table German team shame as he seems a likeable kid and the younger fans do rate him as they see him as a bit of a baller..but I don't think he will make it in england

Did Jairo say he couldn't speak English when he came?

I'd be shocked if that was the case; almost everyone in Netherlands speaks English, even older people.

Old Joe Paxton 17-11-2020 01:53 PM

imagine he did speak fluent English yes

Simple&Stupid 17-11-2020 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mte103 (Post 15503922)
Did Jairo say he couldn't speak English when he came?

I'd be shocked if that was the case; almost everyone in Netherlands speaks English, even older people.

'even older people' :S:

CP-RJW 17-11-2020 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simple&Stupid (Post 15504127)
'even older people' :S:

What’s wrong with his comment?

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o 17-11-2020 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ticehurst (Post 15502890)
Big big disappointment Max will follow his career came here with big expectations.If you look at jairo he's admitted when he first came over he didn't learn the lingo and was obviously not up to the pace

Errrr... I dont think so :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBZxd9BWzlI

Not bad eh ?

casinocolin 17-11-2020 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 15504128)
What’s wrong with his comment?


Insultar a las personas mayores

Insulter les personnes âgées

Ältere Menschen beleidigen

Oudere mensen beledigen

Оскорбление пожилых людей

CP-RJW 17-11-2020 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casinocolin (Post 15504175)
Insultar a las personas mayores

Insulter les personnes âgées

Ältere Menschen beleidigen

Oudere mensen beledigen

Оскорбление пожилых людей

:)

In all seriousness though, is it not just a commonly accepted fact that young people world over are more likely to know English as a second language than old folks due to increased emphasis on teaching it in schools over recent decades, and heightened American cultural imperialism through the advent of the internet, and a number of other areas?

Seemed like an innocent statement to me, with that in mind.

Simple&Stupid 17-11-2020 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casinocolin (Post 15504175)
Insultar a las personas mayores

Insulter les personnes âgées

Ältere Menschen beleidigen

Oudere mensen beledigen

Оскорбление пожилых людей

Apologies. I just get tired of stereotyping of older people. Being an older person :p

chateauferret 17-11-2020 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 15504220)
:)

In all seriousness though, is it not just a commonly accepted fact that young people world over are more likely to know English as a second language than old folks due to increased emphasis on teaching it in schools over recent decades, and heightened American cultural imperialism through the advent of the internet, and a number of other areas?

Seemed like an innocent statement to me, with that in mind.

This is from Wikipedia:

"Because English is so widely spoken, it has often been referred to as a "world language", the lingua franca of the modern era,[21] and while it is not an official language in most countries, it is currently the language most often taught as a foreign language."

My italics. I think what you say is probably true, but another factor is that it is now taught as a second language in countries which used to push English down the list in favour of say Russian - that covers the whole of the former Soviet bloc - as commercially and culturally they used to look eastward and now they look westward much more. "Getting by" in English is quite easy for non-native speakers, even though learning to use it with precision and finesse is comparatively very hard. It is therefore linguistically, as well as culturally and economically, a natural choice for a global lingua franca (interesting to compare with Latin in the Middle Ages, which is a somewhat harder language to learn to a basic level, but was considered a basic component of a classical education even into the late twentieth century. I think its strength was an established and stable grammar, something which English at the time lacked).

Simple&Stupid 17-11-2020 05:59 PM

Also from Wiki: 93% of the Dutch population of the Netherlands speak English.

bigend1 17-11-2020 06:03 PM

Smoke and a pancake

Ian Hart 17-11-2020 06:04 PM

You can always tell when it's a non-match week

People debate the proportion of the Dutch population of the Netherlands who speak English ;)

KYLIE MINEAGLE 17-11-2020 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simple&Stupid (Post 15504252)
Apologies. I just get tired of stereotyping of older people. Being an older person :p

And a lot older on Saturday :D

Old Joe Paxton 17-11-2020 09:24 PM

At uni education is conducted in Dutch and English

El Aguila 17-11-2020 09:51 PM

My son did his Erasmus at Rotterdam, he did say the workload was rather light compared to what he's used to in Spain. Though not so the social life.

Celestial Empire 17-11-2020 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simple&Stupid (Post 15504262)
Also from Wiki: 93% of the Dutch population of the Netherlands speak English.

Although many Dutch people speak fluent English, that stat is nonsense.
It's mostly about education, not age. Location is another factor - smaller towns in eastern Holland are less likely to speak English fluently.
Also remember that Holland has a large recent-immigrant population.

Interesting factoid: Fries language (northern Holland), is in the same "west Germanic" language group as English - some phrases sound very much like English.

Old Joe Paxton 17-11-2020 11:31 PM

Friesland? Aren't they all giants there? Not that the Dutch are small .

Simple&Stupid 17-11-2020 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE (Post 15504387)
And a lot older on Saturday :D

Have a great one Saturday. Fijne Verjaardag
:D

Sleeping Giant 06-12-2020 02:48 PM

Not his fault, but Jairo as we know is crucial to the way we really need to play. How did we get on without him again in the starting lineup, did we manage anything out of the game anyone know?

BillyTKid 06-12-2020 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeping Giant (Post 15529083)
Not his fault, but Jairo as we know is crucial to the way we really need to play. How did we get on without him again in the starting lineup, did we manage anything out of the game anyone know?

That’s an odd point you are trying to make. We lost Newcastle when he didn’t start also.

I think it’s fairly obvious the difference is Wilf playing or not.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 06-12-2020 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyTKid (Post 15529156)
That’s an odd point you are trying to make. We lost Newcastle when he didn’t start also.

I think it’s fairly obvious the difference is Wilf playing or not.

Wilf is certainly the most obvious difference.

Of course we were level against Newcastle before Jairo came on and then we lost, so not sure that proves anything either because I thought he did well in that appearance.

Anyway, I thought Luka did fairly well today so probably backed up Roy's decision to play him.

Sp1Eagle 07-12-2020 09:01 PM

What happened to him signing a new contract?


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.