CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

Sleeping Giant 29-02-2020 10:16 PM

However decent he might be at some things we looked massively shaky as soon as he came on. We did well to weather it all given two higher ranking DM's weren't fully available.

Fatboy 29-02-2020 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 917L (Post 15119854)
You don't think he was poor compared to McCarthy?

At what point are you comparing the two of them?

McCarthy after a few games and Jairo after his first game in the middle after being dropped, having played really well at left-back?

Not fair really.

El Aguila 29-02-2020 11:47 PM

It's just that his performance has been called "outstanding" and "exceptional" - can we agree on "promising"? We were clearly weaker for the loss of McCarthy, but that's no shade on Jairo. McCarthy had probably been our best performer in the first half.

Stats74 29-02-2020 11:56 PM

I thought he had a dodgy start, forgot he was meant to be protecting the front four but improved as went on. Read the game well in the end. Did fear he hadn’t got his positioning right.

El Aguila 29-02-2020 11:58 PM

He does read the game brilliantly, in defence.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 01-03-2020 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Aguila (Post 15120504)
It's just that his performance has been called "outstanding" and "exceptional" - can we agree on "promising"? We were clearly weaker for the loss of McCarthy, but that's no shade on Jairo. McCarthy had probably been our best performer in the first half.

Precisely this.

orp pisshead1 01-03-2020 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Aguila (Post 15120514)
He does read the game brilliantly, in defence.

He got some cracking blocks in imo. Give him time in that role and heíll be quality .

SOUTHGATE EAGLE 01-03-2020 01:10 AM

Quote:

Agreed. Almost any player takes time to adjust into a new position. Jairo looked shaky at first at LB. Now I actually prefer him as a pure defender, although PVA is better going forward. McCarthy was superb the last few games but he looked off the pace when he first got here. No one can judge Jairo as a DM without a run in the team.

What's interesting is working out where Jairo's best position is. He did well against Citeh last season as a DM, did well as a LB after settling in and probably could play CM as well. FdB must know him better than most and he started him as a CB. Yes, Jairo was poor but, again, what if he had a few more games?

We seem to have a player with a real utility value, like Kelly and Kouyate, but technically more proficient. Given his age, I'd say extending Jairo's contract should be a priority.

Eagle96 01-03-2020 01:15 AM

Every time he slid in it would rebound off his arse and a Brighton player was through on goal
Thank f*ck their finishing was atrocious

AJ 01-03-2020 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE (Post 15120542)
Agreed. Almost any player takes time to adjust into a new position. Jairo looked shaky at first at LB. Now I actually prefer him as a pure defender, although PVA is better going forward. McCarthy was superb the last few games but he looked off the pace when he first got here. No one can judge Jairo as a DM without a run in the team.

What's interesting is working out where Jairo's best position is. He did well against Citeh last season as a DM, did well as a LB after settling in and probably could play CM as well. FdB must know him better than most and he started him as a CB. Yes, Jairo was poor but, again, what if he had a few more games?

I believe the Citeh game was 2 seasons ago when it ended 0-0 with
puncheon playing.

Sir.S.C Remembered 01-03-2020 08:01 AM

We weren’t shaky because of him. He did well

Kai 01-03-2020 08:06 AM

Shame he flunked so badly on his shot. A good one could have improved his confidence somewhat.

Did well in a tough game and I hope he gets more chances.

Billy Rhino 01-03-2020 11:04 AM

What an amazing transformation from the player who looked very average in the U23s. Just shows what a bit of confidence and belief can do.

The psychological side of football is probably something that needs to be assessed more closely.

stamford triumph 01-03-2020 11:12 AM

Quote:

I think itís because we are so desperate to see someone with real quality on the ball play in midfield. Every time I see him I like his confidence on the ball, his ability to take players on and pick a pass. Itís a breath of fresh air and probably leads to a bit of hype around his performance.

917L 01-03-2020 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatboy (Post 15120466)
At what point are you comparing the two of them?

McCarthy after a few games and Jairo after his first game in the middle after being dropped, having played really well at left-back?

Not fair really.

I'm comparing them in yesterdays match

philsick 01-03-2020 11:52 AM

Jairo was a bit wobbly for the first 10 mins of the 2nd half but tbh so was all our defence,they really gave it a go after the break. Once that settled down he did a great job and what a massive change in his intensity and energy to get back in position and blocks and tackles. He always seems to use the ball well once he's won it. I hope he's a regular next season.

Stavros 69 01-03-2020 12:00 PM

The guy like so many players just needs game time.

exiledeagle 01-03-2020 12:13 PM

We were definitely under the cosh early part of 2nd half but I think it was to do with Brighton upping the pace more than Jairo coming on .

Gregz41 01-03-2020 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle96 (Post 15120545)
Every time he slid in it would rebound off his arse and a Brighton player was through on goal

Again, it happened once. It's one of those things, no matter how good the player is, they can't control. It's clear to see Riedewald is one of the better footballers in this squad and it's great to see him handle the physicality of a derby. He's more talented than the other midfield players we have.

red&blue_moomin 01-03-2020 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle96 (Post 15120545)

It happened once and it a Brighton player that the ball came off.