CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Rugby 6 Nations 2018 (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=273890)

Shoreditch CPFC 30-01-2018 03:02 PM

Rugby 6 Nations 2018

Really looking forward to this. Who do we fancy to win? Should be the most wide open for many years. England are evens which I quite fancy but they have tough away fixtures. All the home nations could win it.

Adlerhorst 30-01-2018 03:59 PM

I was interested / pleased to see Gary Graham make the original 34 man squad as he’s been excellent for Newcastle, but not seen whether he made the cut down squad. Will be interesting to see if Mercer gets any time.

Three away fixtures rather than two, okay but don’t have to go to Ireland or Wales. Not sure Scotland or France are that scary tbh. Scotland had an excellent game against New Zealand but also had that game against Samoa (IIRC). France had one close-ish game against NZ but were blwon away by New Zealand the week before and also managed to lose against a dire South Africa side.

Hard to see past England, even with the injury issues.

Worksop Palace 30-01-2018 05:37 PM

Scotland wont be an easy game for anyone up at their place

Ireland and England to fight it out I think.

Italy to beat Wales

saxoneagle 31-01-2018 08:17 AM

Ireland
England
Wales
Scotland
France
Italy

No GS winner.

Shoreditch CPFC 01-02-2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxoneagle (Post 14086797)
Ireland
England
Wales
Scotland
France
Italy

No GS winner.

I agree that Ireland have a good chance. I've had a flutter on England as I think they are more likely to win than not and Eddie Jones seems to always find a way, but it isn't with any great conviction.

Adlerhorst 02-02-2018 10:20 AM

England team named. T’eo at centre, Lawes at six. Lawes has been a little bit rubbish for his club so he must have trained well with England given the other back row options available

ebyeeckeagle 02-02-2018 10:47 AM

Still think it is a tricky opening for Ireland, despite the even more than usual shambles at the French RFU. There are still bloody good players in that French team, just no cohesive shape or strategy. So hopefully Ireland will get through that and I then see it coming down to the final game against England. England seem to be able to pull it out of the bag. Scotland will flatter to deceive again a touch. Wales - no idea.

Ireland (more hope than faith)
England
Scotland
Wales
Italy
France

Adlerhorst 02-02-2018 11:00 AM

I suspect for Ireland to win they will need to complete a grand slam as I simply do not see them winning on points difference if England lose a match elsewhere.

ChiswickEagle 02-02-2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 14093813)
England team named. Teo at centre, Lawes at six. Lawes has been a little bit rubbish for his club so he must have trained well with England given the other back row options available

Suspect Lawes at 6 is to add some grunt with no Vunipola or Hughes at 8.

I'm really hoping that Eng v Ire is a GS decider. St Paddy's Day, at Twickenham, I have tickets, what's not to like.

hong_kong_hg 02-02-2018 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiswickEagle (Post 14094090)
Suspect Lawes at 6 is to add some grunt with no Vunipola or Hughes at 8.

Yep. Not sure he'll be much good there, mind

Adlerhorst 02-02-2018 03:13 PM

Surely Itoje to 6 and Kruis in the second row.

(though if you want grunt from your pack you might as well pick Exeter’s. It’s dull but no denying it can be effective).

RazorsEdge 03-02-2018 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxoneagle (Post 14086797)
Ireland
England
Wales
Scotland
France
Italy

No GS winner.

I would back England to win rather than Ireland.

Also reckon Scotland will shock some teams and I do fancy them to upset Wales today.....(I am rubbish in predictions...)

RazorsEdge 03-02-2018 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreditch CPFC (Post 14092106)
I agree that Ireland have a good chance. I've had a flutter on England as I think they are more likely to win than not and Eddie Jones seems to always find a way, but it isn't with any great conviction.

England are my favourites to win, but like you said I have not seen them win with some sort of authority.

Eddie is a very shrewd manager and master of mind games and I expect to see more of his mind games :)

kabbott 03-02-2018 03:06 PM

HT: Wales 14-0 Scotland

An entertaining half. Scotland have had more possession but can't get over the line. Wales have had less of the ball but have the points on the board. Wales flanker Josh Navidi is having a good game. The game is being played at a really fast pace, and the players certainly aren't losing any time at line-outs and penalties, which is good to see.

RazorsEdge 03-02-2018 03:12 PM

Scotland did start well but couple of mistakes and Wales are 14-0 up

Adlerhorst 03-02-2018 03:16 PM

Both sides pretty poor tbh

RazorsEdge 03-02-2018 05:32 PM

France have not woken up yet...

Adlerhorst 03-02-2018 06:27 PM

They look like they haven’t played together before

Adlerhorst 03-02-2018 06:29 PM

Well well well.

ebyeeckeagle 03-02-2018 06:31 PM

Balls. Really nervous about going to France first up.