CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Extinction Rebellion Protests (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=278744)

Scrumpy 16-04-2019 01:03 PM

Extinction Rebellion Protests

Any others on here been affected by the ongoing protests across the West End?

Despite all the arrests they still seem to have "control" of certain areas such as Oxford Circus and are even setting up temporary toilets.

Rumoured to go on for 2 weeks.

https://news.sky.com/story/extinctio...ks-in-11695267

Louis 16-04-2019 03:23 PM

Would have been higher profile outside the Easter holidays, with far more disruption. (I haven't been affected).

Skintagain 16-04-2019 03:35 PM

Why aren't these people at work?

wedgetail 16-04-2019 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skintagain (Post 14729262)
Why aren't these people at work?

Says someone not at work.

Skintagain 16-04-2019 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wedgetail (Post 14729321)
Says someone not at work.

Done my bit, on the receiving end now.
I see a lot of young people there can't help wondering if they've had the day off or are just wasters.

thefox 16-04-2019 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skintagain (Post 14729366)
I see a lot of young people there can't help wondering if they've had the day off or are just wasters.

Some people use their holiday days and days off for worthy causes.

Golf Boy 16-04-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

You probably even think the money you are receiving is the money you’ve paid in.

strolling bones 16-04-2019 04:54 PM

Erstwhile cause, but as usual let down by fekwit idiots vandalising property and spraying graffiti everywhere. Hearts and minds wont be won over with that behaviour , those responsible let down those who were there to further the cause and raise awareness . Get rid of that element and i can't see how the establishment can dismiss the underlying message . We actually are killing this planet .

weltklasse 16-04-2019 05:01 PM

Quote:

says a total waster.

Skintagain 16-04-2019 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strolling bones (Post 14729411)
Erstwhile cause, but as usual let down by fekwit idiots vandalising property and spraying graffiti everywhere. Hearts and minds wont be won over with that behaviour , those responsible let down those who were there to further the cause and raise awareness . Get rid of that element and i can't see how the establishment can dismiss the underlying message . We actually are killing this planet .

We can do nothing, even a cursory look at the numbers will tell you that. Human activity produces only a small percentage of the CO2 produced if it all stopped tomorrow it wouldn't make any difference. The imagination isn't out there to stop the process.
Even worse the UK produces just over 1% of all human activity produced CO2, feck all basically.

weltklasse 16-04-2019 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skintagain (Post 14729423)
We can do nothing, even a cursory look at the numbers will tell you that. Human activity produces only a small percentage of the CO2 produced if it all stopped tomorrow it wouldn't make any difference. The imagination isn't out there to stop the process.
Even worse the UK produces just over 1% of all human activity produced CO2, feck all basically.

missing the point by a mile as usual. Consistent at it you are.

regal_eagle 16-04-2019 05:23 PM

Whether or not 'global warming' is being caused by us or natural 'space weather', we as a race are killing the planet more efficiently than at any time before, with plastic in the oceans etc, and as such it's ultimately the most important cause worth fighting for.

Unfortunately in our Capitalist world, nothing will be done by multinationals and Governments until they are hit in the pocket.

grand aigle 16-04-2019 05:27 PM

Why dont they go and protest in China and Russia (two of the worst polluters)? Oh yeah because they would be banged up if they tried this shit there!

JDawg 16-04-2019 05:42 PM

Quote:

I have no issue with them protesting or indeed inconveniencing people (and I work in the west end) because as issues go, this is the biggest out there. Yet society and politicians prevaricate and if it raises awareness, so be it. If the can kicking continues we're talking less than 20 years before irreparable damage is done meaning it is their generation that will suffer.

So of course its full of young people.

strolling bones 16-04-2019 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weltklasse (Post 14729430)
missing the point by a mile as usual. Consistent at it you are.

Have you ever got anything to say on a topic , or do you only contribute childish digs at other posters ? Perhaps grown up conversations are a bit beyond you ? Or you just do cowardly digs because you know ypu are safe from.a smack in the mouth on the internet .

Nth Kent Eagle 16-04-2019 05:49 PM

Train drivers are environmentalists because they help reduce carbon by providing a public transport alternative to cars. Roofers and scaffolders enable solar panels to be installed. Sparkles play a part in connecting renewable energy etc. Environmentalists should do practical things as well as demonstrate.

Skintagain 16-04-2019 06:31 PM

A forest can hold about 100tonnes of Co2/acre. The world deserts cover about 20million sq miles or 1.28E+10 acres. So foresting over the worlds deserts could give 128E+10 CO2 store.

Human activity produces about 40 billion tonnes (40E+9) of C02. The natural cycles produces about 20x that but is mostly reabsorbed.

So a program of forestation of the deserts could take up 30years total human activity produced carbon.

The bonus is that it would take a lot of water to grow that many trees thereby holding rising sea levels down. Its gonna take a lot of windfarms.

Extra bonus, think of all those extra trees the protestors could hug.

I await my Nobel prize for saving humanity. Thank you.

bhb 16-04-2019 06:39 PM

I haven't been affected by it, but, I did notice that some protesters got on the underground at Waterloo yesterday. They obviously don't know how electricity is made.

El Aguila 16-04-2019 07:12 PM

It’s a classic case of where a cost hasn’t been written into economic activity and will be paid by future generations.

in-exile 16-04-2019 07:17 PM

Time to buy back Boris's water cannons!