CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   The Politics Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Turkish Invasion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=280140)

Spindle 10-10-2019 01:13 PM

Turkish Invasion

Surprised no thread on this.

What do we do about a NATO partner like Turkey who openly threatens to open the immigration floodgates if any European nation criticises his actions?

WTF is Trump doing by walking away and talking horseshit about Normandy?

Needs a no fly zone, arming of the Kurds and serious sanctions to crush the Turk economy, immediately.

dogstar721 10-10-2019 01:30 PM

I think this had been planned for some time and agreed at least between the US and Turkey, as the US spoke about a withdrawal on Sunday, and by the end of Monday, Turkish forces were over the border, artillary bombarding and air strikes were underway.

Turkey has always been a necessary ally of NATO (given its border and location it allowed US / NATO missile strike capability with short range weapons into Russia). Likely as not this will escalate - With the Kurds potentially linking up with Syrian Assad forces and strikes from Kurdish territory in Iraq into Turkey.

Problem is Trump and Erdogan are cut from the same cloth. Previous regimes of Turkey have tended to listen to the UN and NATO. Now that the Russians and US are both looking to secure a client state in Turkey in relation to military sales, I think its likely, that the Kurds will have to find allies closer to home.

It also means its likely that 'secured ISIS' and suspect prisoners will likely end up either escaping into the wild, be massacred or end up fighting alongside the kurds.

As for Trump, WTF is he even talking about WWII and Normandy, thats some serious mentalist drival.

bubbs11 10-10-2019 03:20 PM

Trump basically signed the death warrant of many, many Kurds. Totally done the dirty on them after they helped fight ISIS.

I know talk of WW3 is pushing it, but this has the potential to get really out of hand very quickly.

wedgetail 10-10-2019 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogstar721 (Post 14941308)
I think this had been planned for some time and agreed at least between the US and Turkey, as the US spoke about a withdrawal on Sunday, and by the end of Monday, Turkish forces were over the border, artillary bombarding and air strikes were underway.

Turkey has always been a necessary ally of NATO (given its border and location it allowed US / NATO missile strike capability with short range weapons into Russia). Likely as not this will escalate - With the Kurds potentially linking up with Syrian Assad forces and strikes from Kurdish territory in Iraq into Turkey.

Problem is Trump and Erdogan are cut from the same cloth. Previous regimes of Turkey have tended to listen to the UN and NATO. Now that the Russians and US are both looking to secure a client state in Turkey in relation to military sales, I think its likely, that the Kurds will have to find allies closer to home.

It also means its likely that 'secured ISIS' and suspect prisoners will likely end up either escaping into the wild, be massacred or end up fighting alongside the kurds.

As for Trump, WTF is he even talking about WWII and Normandy, thats some serious mentalist drival.

It is far more likely that the IS fighters will be rearmed by the Turks.

Stellavista 10-10-2019 04:16 PM

Turkey's EU membership getting further and further away. Leavers reassured?

Mad Max 10-10-2019 05:00 PM

Ah Trump,is this the same guy that deliberately avoided fighting for his country in Nam?

in-exile 10-10-2019 05:04 PM

He's off his Rocker!

Heb 7:4 10-10-2019 05:26 PM

We turned our back on Syria when we voted to do nothing in the face of Assad using chemical weapons and the Yazidis being raped and butchered. Bit odd to see many of the same who were so overjoyed then being angry at Trump's shitty move now.

It's a complete betrayal, but I can't see how the UK is in a position to do very much

Baffled Bob 2 10-10-2019 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heb 7:4 (Post 14941465)
We turned our back on Syria when we voted to do nothing in the face of Assad using chemical weapons and the Yazidis being raped and butchered. Bit odd to see many of the same who were so overjoyed then being angry at Trump's shitty move now.

It's a complete betrayal, but I can't see how the UK is in a position to do very much

The Stop the War Coalition seem quite down on Trump's move. I thought they'd be overjoyed.

Skintagain 10-10-2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 14941376)
Trump basically signed the death warrant of many, many Kurds. Totally done the dirty on them after they helped fight ISIS.

I know talk of WW3 is pushing it, but this has the potential to get really out of hand very quickly.

Its a bummer man but very predictable. There will be no ww3 over this. The ruskies wont be fighting turkey, they just want their med base.

catty 10-10-2019 08:14 PM

Lost for words. I look after about 20 Kurdish teenagers, they have spent the day watching videos of what is going on. It's heartbreaking.

fang 10-10-2019 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skintagain (Post 14941551)
Its a bummer man but very predictable. There will be no ww3 over this.

Putin looks at this, decides Trump doesn't do the protection of allies and rolls into a Baltic state.

Skin Up 10-10-2019 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wedgetail (Post 14941386)
It is far more likely that the IS fighters will be rearmed by the Turks.

And if pointed towards Europe a revival of Islamic terror in the west (its certainly been on the wane in recent years replaced by white nationalist terror) would help Trump in 2020 as well as damaging remainers hopes in any potential 2nd referendum.

Madden 10-10-2019 11:37 PM

Interesting article in Esquire!
https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...ower-istanbul/

bubbs11 11-10-2019 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madden (Post 14941668)

"I have a little conflict of interest 'cause I have a major, major building in Istanbul," Trump said in December 2015. "It's a tremendously successful job. It's called Trump Towers—two towers, instead of one, not the usual one, it’s two."

He is nuts enough to have let this be his guiding consideration.

Twiggy 11-10-2019 06:11 AM

You couldn't make it up.....after destabilising even further this messed up part of the world by abandoning and weakening the Kurds....he apparently is suggestion that he can be the mediator of the conflict he encouraged.

dogstar721 11-10-2019 07:21 AM

Whilst I don't generally agree with getting involved in Civil wars, the one faction you probably wanted to end up as a regional power player was the Kurdish forces.

A major concern here is whether this drags northern Iraq into the conflict as well, given its close ties with the Kurdish forces

Spindle 11-10-2019 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 14941449)
Ah Trump,is this the same guy that deliberately avoided fighting for his country in Nam?

Spindle 11-10-2019 07:28 AM

There were many British soldiers that wanted to fight ISIS so went out there are joined the Kurds to do it. They are in their armies. Now they face NATO. How long before the news reports the death of a white British ex servicemen who fought in Afghanistan or Iraq at the hands of Turks.

Asagaya_Eagle 11-10-2019 08:02 AM

In my view, the Kurds were foolish not to align themselves with the Syrian gov from the outset. What exactly did they expect would happen? Did they expect the US to protect them forever?