CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   The Music Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Crystal Palace guitars (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=254722)

Smoz 07-12-2020 09:43 PM

I am toying with the idea of getting a semi acoustic guitar as most of my playing is done unplugged. Has anyone on here got, or played, a Gretsch G5410t or G5420t? From what I have seen online they have very similar specs, the 5410 is slightly slimmer and has a satin finish as opposed to the 5420ís glossy finish.

Some of the reviews I have read make a point of praising the 5410ís unplugged sound, I have seen a suggestion that the satin finish might make a difference to the sound.

Am I correct in thinking that a hollow body should sound better unplugged than a centre block? I will of course go into a shop to try the different options but thought it worth asking for opinion on here.

hughff 08-12-2020 02:04 AM

Semi acoustics definitely sound better in the bedroom unplugged than a solid body but you wouldn't want to play one when someone other than you is listening - a person speaking in a normal voice is as loud. Even full hollow body electrics (which definitely make more noise) really need plugging in, though I guess they're ok at a pinch. If you're going to play unplugged, buy a proper acoustic.

Tomo 08-12-2020 09:08 AM

What’s the reason for playing unplugged?

I’ve got a couple of these: VOX AP2AC amPlug 2 AC30 Guitar/Bass Headphone Amplifier https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NAUHX...ing=UTF8&psc=1

It’s another useful little toy to be able to play electric without waking up the kids/annoying Mrs Tomo

Tim of the 80's 08-12-2020 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellavista (Post 15525660)
I haven't yet. You useless bastards haven't come up with any suggestions. Leaning towards a Vox.

I use a red truck these days and love it, but that might be more basic than you need/want.

Smoz 08-12-2020 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hughff (Post 15531589)
Semi acoustics definitely sound better in the bedroom unplugged than a solid body but you wouldn't want to play one when someone other than you is listening - a person speaking in a normal voice is as loud. Even full hollow body electrics (which definitely make more noise) really need plugging in, though I guess they're ok at a pinch. If you're going to play unplugged, buy a proper acoustic.

Yes, the common sense thing would be to get an acoustic, I imagine that I could get a better sounding acoustic for half the price of the Gretsch g5410t. On the other hand if I go for the Gretsch then I get what is supposed to be a decent acoustic as well as a good second electric (I already have a Telcaster).

I have lusted after a Gretsch semi acoustic since I went to my first Cramps gig in the eighties, though that probably had a lot to do with the fact that Poison Ivy was playing it.

Smoz 08-12-2020 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomo (Post 15531888)
Whatís the reason for playing unplugged?

Iíve got a couple of these: VOX AP2AC amPlug 2 AC30 Guitar/Bass Headphone Amplifier https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NAUHX...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Itís another useful little toy to be able to play electric without waking up the kids/annoying Mrs Tomo

I have a couple of Vox headphone amps, which are great for what they are. I also have a Blackstar Fly 3 mini practise amp, which is also good for what it is (a three watt bedroom practise amp). However most of the time I prefer to just pick up my Telecaster and noodle around without setting anything up.

Stellavista 08-12-2020 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim of the 80's (Post 15532476)
I use a red truck these days and love it, but that might be more basic than you need/want.

Thanks, Tim. Will check it out.

Pidster 28-12-2020 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomo (Post 15526379)
Iíve even used mine through a tiny battery run amp that you plug directly into the guitar and have use headphones for, so pretty much anything.

Iím sure better guitarists may think differently, but I think as any amateur guitarist who plays alone, itís the best tool you can get.

You can change the tempo and different styles as a backing track (maybe 12 different options), so if you learn a song you can usually find something that will go behind it well enough to make it sound like you know what youíre doing!


Thank you for the suggestion, Santa turned up trumps and it has been keeping me amused for hours.

If I take my hands off the guitar I get a mains hum even when using the headphones. Is this normal?

As an aside those cheeky scamps at GAK have it their sale for £165 reduced from £199. Santa got it from them for £159 before Christmas.

Tomo 28-12-2020 02:50 PM

Funnily enough I was going to post last night to see if anyone had got it.
It is a lot of fun to use isn’t it.

Ermmm not sure actually.

hughff 28-12-2020 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pidster (Post 15563201)
Thank you for the suggestion, Santa turned up trumps and it has been keeping me amused for hours.

If I take my hands off the guitar I get a mains hum even when using the headphones. Is this normal?

As an aside those cheeky scamps at GAK have it their sale for £165 reduced from £199. Santa got it from them for £159 before Christmas.

Mine has a "hum" like a neighbour's lawn mower - annoying but not disqualifying. I haven't managed to isolate it yet. Obviously if everything runs through batteries (a la Tomo), there will be no hum at all.

Pidster 28-12-2020 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hughff (Post 15565731)
Mine has a "hum" like a neighbour's lawn mower - annoying but not disqualifying. I haven't managed to isolate it yet. Obviously if everything runs through batteries (a la Tomo), there will be no hum at all.

Itís only a two pin plug so Iím guessing itís an earthing issue. Still a lot of fun.

Smithers-Jones 02-02-2021 11:38 PM

During this lock down my son has bought all the various parts and built his own strat (his first time).

He's now losing his bottle a little bit on doing the electronics. Has anyone got any recommendations of someone that would be interested in doing them ? Not too far from Croydon would be good.

AJ8 02-02-2021 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smithers-Jones (Post 15629970)
During this lock down my son has bought all the various parts and built his own strat (his first time).

He's now losing his bottle a little bit on doing the electronics. Has anyone got any recommendations of someone that would be interested in doing them ? Not too far from Croydon would be good.

David Kennett is my go to man for set ups and other work, heís based in Sutton and I canít recommend him enough. He has been on the Repair Shop a couple of times and builds custom guitars , knows his stuff... :p

https://twitter.com/therepairshop/st...471632384?s=21

https://flameguitars.co.uk/

Another Oxted Eagle 02-02-2021 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smithers-Jones (Post 15629970)
During this lock down my son has bought all the various parts and built his own strat (his first time).

He's now losing his bottle a little bit on doing the electronics. Has anyone got any recommendations of someone that would be interested in doing them ? Not too far from Croydon would be good.

Jon at Feline Guitars in Croydon is a bloody master of anything 6 string related -


https://felineguitars.com/

Smithers-Jones 03-02-2021 12:02 AM

Thanks guys 👍

Smithers-Jones 05-02-2021 01:02 AM

Just to let you know Feline guitars sorted me... thanks again

Pidster 18-02-2021 08:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Lockdown fever was alleviated yesterday. Bought from Holland ( fine ) , delivered by UPS ( not so fine ).

Maidstoned Eagle 18-02-2021 08:32 AM

Ooh, you got a Jag.

Pidster 18-02-2021 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 15656557)
Ooh, you got a Jag.

Two Jags, if you include the Squier which introduced me to the world of short scale.

Maidstoned Eagle 18-02-2021 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pidster (Post 15656559)
Two Jags, if you include the Squier which introduced me to the world of short scale.

I dont.

Back in the early sixties my brother in law had a Jaguar, used to play the circuit round the South and was a regular in The Gun. One day he gets a call from an acquaintance "Hi mate, been told you play a Fender Jaguar? Well listen we have an act on at the Fairfield tonight and he plays one too, trouble is that his has been lost on luggage on his flight from the US. We really need to source one for his gig tonight, would you mind lending it to him...we will give you some tickets?"

BiL agrees, hands over the guitar at the stage door and sits down to watch Buddy Guy play the **** out of his Jaguar.

Goes back stage to retrieve the guitar, meets the.main man who grabs it and then signs the back of it to say thank you. BiL is not happy and gets it repeated.....years later, after kicking himself for years over his stupidity, he finds himself at Buddy Guys club in Chicago. He has a chat to the management (who turns out to be Buddys daughter) tells them this story. Within days he gets a signed photo from the man and a letter telling him not to erase this signature.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.