CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Luke Dreher (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=266476)

Woosie 30-07-2016 09:49 PM

Luke Dreher

Think he deserves a thread of his own rather than the academy thread.

First year scholar last season, U21 debut just after turning 17, then training with the first team and on the bench for the first team at Manchester United away. Then today he came on as a sub and played a great ball to Keshi Anderson for his goal.

I know he's rated by the club (not sure how highly but obviously fairly highly) and pushing him into the 21s early last season was a good idea.

He'll probably be with our U21s until January training with the first team as well and then go out on loan to League 2 for the remainder of the season.

My profile of him from when he was on the bench at Man U: http://www.offthepostnews.co.uk/?p=9259

And my interview with him from last week after the Sutton friendly: http://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/22...ce-reputation/

bubbs11 30-07-2016 09:54 PM

Is there a player you'd compare him to in style Woosie?

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o 30-07-2016 09:57 PM

Interesting, thanks Woosie.

Sp1Eagle 30-07-2016 10:00 PM

Nice assist today:

Woosie 30-07-2016 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 13131092)
Is there a player you'd compare him to in style Woosie?

I'm not great with comparisons, but his style is neat and tidy but as you can see with his assist today he knows how to pick a pass. He's quite tall, relatively quick but he just controls the ball and moves things on from defence into attack pretty quickly.

He described himself to me as more of a defensive midfielder but also a box-to-box player. For me, he'd be wasted in a purely defensive role but if you were to put him into our side he would be Cabaye or McArthur and he'd do that kind of role well.

Having said that, I do think his weaknesses are off the ball rather than when he is on it.

PMSL 30-07-2016 10:25 PM

Can he play up front ?

dilem 30-07-2016 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sp1Eagle (Post 13131097)
Nice assist today:

if anything this makes made me wonder..
how many assists (since promotion) have come through a player threading a through ball down the middle? Barely any that i can recall - says a lot about vision of our midfielders/movement of our strikers.

Or perhaps ball retention is considered more important than 'risky' passing

Pubface 30-07-2016 11:28 PM

Thought he looked really comfortable on the ball and his pass for the goal was sublime. Looks a real prospect.

crenoleagle 31-07-2016 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilem (Post 13131109)
if anything this makes made me wonder..
how many assists (since promotion) have come through a player threading a through ball down the middle? Barely any that i can recall - says a lot about vision of our midfielders/movement of our strikers.

Or perhaps ball retention is considered more important than 'risky' passing

Not for us? We barely keep the ball at all. We just don't have the players (or the mindset) to play a passing game through the middle. Almost every team we play against can pass the ball better than us. Most teams don't have the players to cause individual mayhem like we do though.

eaglebhoy 31-07-2016 09:05 AM

Oh so it was him who played that over the top through ball ? Wow, it was savage, very impressive especially for a youth player.

That kind of thing is quite hard to pull off, especially so accurately as yesterday, someone asked how often you see any of our players do that but ask yourself this, how often do you see a pass like that pulled off perfectly by any team in a season and when you do it's usually by absolute top playmakers like Ozil or Fabregas etc

Suddenly very interested to see more of this young man [emoji4]

nicobos 31-07-2016 09:24 AM

To put it another way - How often do you see one of our strikers making a run like keshi off the shoulder of the defender which is crying out for a through ball dinked over the top?

Gayle was improving in this regard but wickham plays mostly with his back to goal or ends up running the channels. If we can get a quick striker (as well as a benteke type) it'll give us some better options up front to mix up the play.

Well done luke for showing that kind of vision and good to see keshi so confident after his injury!

One this I miss about the lower leagues and administration is looking forward to seeing the young talent get thrown into the first team!

thefox 31-07-2016 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglebhoy (Post 13131330)
Oh so it was him who played that over the top through ball ? Wow, it was savage, very impressive, for a youth player.

That kind of thing is quite hard to pull off, especially so accurately as yesterday, someone asked how often you see any of our players do that but ask yourself this, how often do you see a pass like that pulled off perfectly by any team in a season and when you do it's usually by absolute top playmakers like Ozil or Fabregas etc

Suddenly very interested to see more of this young man [emoji4]

We used to have a young player that could do that in his sleep, he went by the name............

......... Bostock.

eaglebhoy 31-07-2016 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefox (Post 13131349)
We used to have a young player that could do that in his sleep, he went by the name............

......... Bostock.

Hmmm........yeah rings a bell.........whatever happened to him anyway ? :vader:

thereichstuff 31-07-2016 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglebhoy (Post 13131351)
Hmmm........yeah rings a bell.........whatever happened to him anyway ? :vader:

Didn't he stagnate ?

Ninjas Headband 31-07-2016 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thereichstuff (Post 13131395)
Didn't he stagnate ?

Is that a club playing in the 2nd Division of the Belgian League?

Hambo 06-08-2016 08:35 PM

Impressed with his short cameo today. Looks a very good prospect - natural vision is a real commodity.

Palace121 06-08-2016 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hambo (Post 13141954)
Impressed with his short cameo today. Looks a very good prospect - natural vision is a real commodity.

Agreed. I was very impressed. Played a part in winning the penalty for the 3rd and put a lovely ball over the top the Keshi (again). He looked very composed and got himself in some good positions.

AJ 06-08-2016 09:35 PM

Impressed me, he has something about him.
Only 17/18?

stumpy feelers 06-08-2016 09:54 PM

Looks a good little player!

Friskey 06-08-2016 10:02 PM

This guy looks like he could be the real deal.