CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   A West Ham view of our Arthur Wait stand (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=278078)

APR2 11-02-2019 05:51 PM

A West Ham view of our Arthur Wait stand

http://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=4290

Life must be so much easier when you can get the taxpayer to buy a stadium for you!:jerkit:

carter 11-02-2019 05:55 PM

It is such a poor stand though and I’ve sat in it for 6 years running

Worksop Palace 11-02-2019 05:56 PM

Wanker

in-exile 11-02-2019 06:00 PM

We all know it's the finest stand in the division .... This is just jealousy! :supergrin:

Braders 11-02-2019 06:04 PM

Who gives a flying **** what anyone thinks of our ground?

Nostrils 11-02-2019 06:05 PM

The great pampered fannies. I fort dey woz spozed ta be well 'ard.

ebyeeckeagle 11-02-2019 06:06 PM

He's not actually incorrect. It's the same for the home end too. A few of us recently raised it again on here.

Having said that, what a **** for leaving so early. And KUMB and all it's members can go **** themselves the mockney twats.

Wolfnipplechips 11-02-2019 06:08 PM

He’s just salty because there wasn’t 40 yards of running track in front of him.

dmf73 11-02-2019 06:10 PM

I cant say i disagree with him.

The Arthur Wait stand is a death trap. You need to leave after 30 mins just to make sure you can get to use the toilet at HT.

Coastal Palace 11-02-2019 06:13 PM

If he wants a welcoming away end with comfy seats then he should make sure he gets tickets for Brighton away, the east end scum.

Am Phibian 11-02-2019 06:16 PM

The Arthur was great when half of it was terracing and still would be if it were today. But as an all seater it is awful. The crowd is less filtered so involuntary gamesi of sardines pop up all over the place.

bodger 11-02-2019 06:17 PM

I wont go to their place because it was not enjoyable and i do not blame anyone who wont come to Palace. Maybe a reduced allocation will help. Standing in seated areas is dangerous the sooner safe standing comes in the better.

Pikie Punisher 11-02-2019 06:18 PM

Gor blimey guvnor, I'm a geezer, salt of the earth, pie and mash, I love London Tarn, working mans sport, cheeky laugh a minute mockney, Peaky Blinders on me nut.......

Can't take a bit of rough :jerkit:

CP-RJW 11-02-2019 06:19 PM

Only stand I’ve never been in, and never really want to be in. Sympathies with home fans, don’t give a toss what away fans think.

Maz 11-02-2019 06:21 PM

I’ve been in all four stands. But the Arthur is my firm favourite.

RUSSELL 11-02-2019 06:22 PM

I want the away fans to have the worst experience both on and off the pitch!

sideburns7 11-02-2019 06:26 PM

Haven't watched it because it's some Danny dyer twat
But used to go in there in the late eighties the toilets down the Whitehorse lane end hadn't changed for over twenty years remember being in there half time blokes pissing in the sinks
Couldn't believe it when I took my boy for a piss
Fuc@the mainstand sort the Arthur

Nostrils 11-02-2019 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUSSELL (Post 14642846)

This is exactly what I said to one of them that was winging about it on the train home. Also mentioned that it was, at least, a proper football ground, he did begrudgingly agree in all fairness.

Have we stopped doing a disco for them now?

sideburns7 11-02-2019 06:28 PM

Quote:

Too right don't even put any bog roll in there,if so that tracing paper stuff

old git 11-02-2019 06:29 PM

I would rather watch Palace from the Arthur than any stand at the Olympic stadium.

Yoda 11-02-2019 06:30 PM

Well he’s got a blooming cheek extolling Parish to pay for a new stand given how they’ve pinched the Taxpayers Stadium.

It is indeed an old stand, can’t argue with that. But part of his problem seems to revolve around Hammers fans squeezing into more desirable rows, whilst also painting his fellow fans as faultless on this.

Not using their designated seats created crowding, so they should accept personal responsibility for that. He’d argue our stewards should have been prevented that...I can see his point, but I imagine it’s hard for stewards to keep firm control on this when all the away fans are standing. And maybe the stewards don’t want to spark grief with a notorious group of away fans, so they turn a blind eye to keep the peace?

sideburns7 11-02-2019 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14642844)
Only stand Iíve never been in, and never really want to be in. Sympathies with home fans, donít give a toss what away fans think.

Was at one time the stand to be in
When it was half seats half standing

JAS78 11-02-2019 06:56 PM

It’s a brilliant stand to watch football, the atmosphere in there can be pretty electric most weeks when the players are putting in a performance

However it rained Saturday which made the concourse before kickoff a very unpleasant experience, completely overcrowded and all the resulting queuing

Can someone remind me, is any of the £100M development money heading over to the Arthur?

BERT'S HEAD 11-02-2019 07:06 PM

If you could magic yourself from the street to your seat and the reverse at the end there would be no complaints from me. But bladders are a bastard.

Dorking .Eagle 11-02-2019 07:12 PM

The away fans have a disproportionate amount of space compared to the home section, so it's worse for home fans.

Problem is, away fans are more likely to expect to get food and drink, meaning more rammed concourse (regular home fans in the AW have lower expectations of such things so eat and drink before going in)

Biggest issue imo is the bloody gantry, esp. For the back 8 or so rows. It cuts off views of all high balls. The gantry will go when the new stand isbuilt, so 2023 then.

Fatboy 11-02-2019 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 14642845)
Iíve been in all four stands. But the Arthur is my firm favourite.

So good - even Birmingham away fans tried to get in there (long ago)
:p

NorthPalace23 11-02-2019 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips (Post 14642827)
Heís just salty because there wasnít 40 yards of running track in front of him.

West Ham Athletic.

Need a pair of binoculars at their stadium.

sideburns7 11-02-2019 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatboy (Post 14642914)
So good - even Birmingham away fans tried to get in there (long ago)
:p

They got into seats as that was standard practice and the gave it a go
But they didn't get into standing they tried

desperado 11-02-2019 07:22 PM

The stand is fifty years old this summer. Dubbed the six week wonder as the building of the stand was completed and fitted out in the time between winning promotion and playing the first ever First Division game against Manchester United on August 9

There was none of this pissing about and playing games away from home until the work was completed. My dad worked on the stand and visiting him one day during the summer I got to meet Arthur Wait who worked on the stand every day

I don't take any notice of any visiting fans who don't like it

Sick Bucket 11-02-2019 07:24 PM

**** em, don't come again you whinging mockney twat.

Brett 11-02-2019 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle (Post 14642909)
The away fans have a disproportionate amount of space compared to the home section, so it's worse for home fans.

Problem is, away fans are more likely to expect to get food and drink, meaning more rammed concourse (regular home fans in the AW have lower expectations of such things so eat and drink before going in)

Biggest issue imo is the bloody gantry, esp. For the back 8 or so rows. It cuts off views of all high balls. The gantry will go when the new stand isbuilt, so 2023 then.

Unless Peter Crouch is playing, do fans really need to see the ball whilst 50 feet in the air? Not being sarky, genuine question.

Sick Bucket 11-02-2019 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett (Post 14642931)
Unless Peter Crouch is playing, do fans really need to see the ball whilst 50 feet in the air? Not being sarky, genuine question.

It is a bit annoying to lose sight of the ball, you have to guess where it's going to reappear, would've been worse 30 years ago in the hoof ball era.

Dorking .Eagle 11-02-2019 07:33 PM

Quote:

You always had (have?) a good view - I believe you were right behind the old 'wall' just about halfway back.

You must be aware of the view in the back 7/8 rows, where you can barely see above the lino on the opposite side? The mega gantry caused that

http://i67.tinypic.com/af8oj8.jpg

Hence loads in the away end who don't want to put up with that squeeze into rows further forward.

Not saying it's not just as bad at the back of the lower tier at Everton (with multiple pillars thrown in) or the back row of the away end at Liverpool (like watching through a letterbox) but IMO those tickets should be discounted.

The original AW gantry (1969-2013) was only in the centre of the stand - not across the whole stand, so for the back rows, the majority of the view across the pitch wasn't affected

Golf Boy 11-02-2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by APR2 (Post 14642808)
http://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=4290

Life must be so much easier when you can get the taxpayer to buy a stadium for you!:jerkit:

Left before half time for safety reasons. **** off. If there are crowds of people in the aisles then it is because they aren`t where they are supposed to be. Making it out like it was Hillsborough.

The tourists must not know what has hit them though when they get put in there.

ebyeeckeagle 11-02-2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Make it 10 yards high. Or a corner. I actually do like to see the flight of the ball, not just leaving a foot and hitting a head a bit later.

Tim 11-02-2019 07:40 PM

He’s pretty much spot on. It’s an embarrassment & not fit for purpose in the Premier League not to mention potentially dangerous. I’ve been going there since I was a kid & that entrance hasn’t changed one bit.

Brett 11-02-2019 07:45 PM

Had a better view than in the picture, yes. It's actually much worse now we were forced to move to the Main Stand (long story, but I can sympathise with West Ham Wayne's ineffective/incompetent stewarding claim).

Am fully aware of the restricted view, as the AW gangways enter blocks where the second wall is, and genuinely always felt that whilst it was not ideal, if I had to move back for whatever reason, that I could still view the whole game.

IMV the worst thing about the AW view was always to do with the shallow rake, in that in encourages persistent standing, so that every time the ball was anywhere other than five yards either side of the halfway line, everyone would stand for a clearer view (which is much easier on the legs when you are younger - particularly when our team was playing more direct stuff!).

sideburns7 11-02-2019 07:54 PM

It is not perfect but having been in the lower holmesdale any corner you have to stand
Selhurst is an old stadium
Can't really see any resolution unless you want a wonky warehouse

Dorking .Eagle 11-02-2019 08:08 PM

The potential solutions are :

Remove the gantry completely (this will happen when the new stand opens lol)

Lose maybe one third of the seats (will never happen)

Have roaming refreshment sellers to reduce number of people going to concourse (when I stood in the AW enclosure, a supermarket trolley full of tuck used to be pushed along the front)

Try and use the Sainsburys lorry goods entrance as overspill space (would mean Whitehorse end couldn't use Park Road turnstiles). CPFC already have use of this area because the away team bus parks here.

eagles #1 11-02-2019 08:13 PM

Thatís how it should be. Miserable for all away fans. Hope he had a shit day.

Joe85 11-02-2019 08:16 PM

They're the only club in the football league on the dole. What they think is irrelevant. It's like one of the lazy, work shy swines from Canning Town having the cheek to complain about how shit the NHS is.

Wankers.

Joe85 11-02-2019 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle (Post 14642974)

Have roaming refreshment sellers to reduce number of people going to concourse (when I stood in the AW enclosure, a supermarket trolley full of tuck used to be pushed along the front)

Try and use the Sainsburys lorry goods entrance as overspill space (would mean Whitehorse end couldn't use Park Road turnstiles). CPFC already have use of this area because the away team bus parks here.

Never made sense to me to build a shiny new stadium and then have the TV camera's face the Arthur.

Pikie Punisher 11-02-2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golf Boy (Post 14642942)
Left before half time

Brighton fan?

Dorking .Eagle 11-02-2019 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe85 (Post 14642989)
Never made sense to me to build a shiny new stadium and then have the TV camera's face the Arthur.

If they can make the roof fascia bright, fresh, red and blue stripes, smart square white clock in the centre and fill every seat in the front 10 rows, it'll look fine on tv

Louis 11-02-2019 08:31 PM

I think and hope major crowd safety problems like crushing are unlikely in the Arthur because it's so big and open. But it's pretty poor, and I agree with the West Ham fan's points. Most fans I know prefer to sit anywhere but the Arthur.

Brett 11-02-2019 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis (Post 14643009)
I think and hope major crowd safety problems like crushing are unlikely in the Arthur because it's so big and open. But it's pretty poor, and I agree with the West Ham fan's points. Most fans I know prefer to sit anywhere but the Arthur.

The 'auditorium' itself is fine, you won't get crushed in the aisles or the seats. The concourse is a different matter but some fans need to look at their own conduct and subsequently their role in any crushing out there. As do the stewards. You can often enter the turnstiles to be met by three lines of steps filled completely by arse-crack-displaying fat fcks stuffing their faces with burger and booze whilst sat down (picture a 1% demo outside the Bank of England) causing crushing back towards the turnstiles (which is probably what West Ham Wayne was describing).

And since great 2011 swap debacle, it is even worse for home fans than away fans, by orders of magnitude.

in-exile 11-02-2019 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle (Post 14642974)

Quite .....but for home fans why can the club not put in facilities like food and toilets in a new area behind the old disabled area behind the not used Sky TV boxes..... Massive under used area!

alanlee11 11-02-2019 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 14642946)
Heís pretty much spot on. Itís an embarrassment & not fit for purpose in the Premier League not to mention potentially dangerous. Iíve been going there since I was a kid & that entrance hasnít changed one bit.

Been in the Arthur for the 15 years I've been going to Palace, it is now a disgrace it hasn't changed. It's awful for us supporters who go week in, week out.

Crush at half time to go to the toilet orngrt a drink. The club should sell less tickets in the stand to make it safe and almost comfortable.

in-exile 11-02-2019 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanlee11 (Post 14643034)
Been in the Arthur for the 15 years I've been going to Palace, it is now a disgrace it hasn't changed. It's awful for us supporters who go week in, week out.

Crush at half time to go to the toilet orngrt a drink. The club should sell less tickets in the stand to make it safe and almost comfortable.

The club has packed more seats in this year along the side fence lower down ....... How does it pass a safety certificate going from the massive side stairs .....to one row wide ( if that ) crossway-walkway to the first back to the front walkway.

Dorking .Eagle 11-02-2019 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in-exile (Post 14643021)
Quite .....but for home fans why can the club not put in facilities like food and toilets in a new area behind the old disabled area behind the not used Sky TV boxes..... Massive under used area!

Agree - it must be possible for some of this space to be 'pinched' for the Artur Wait - the space is massive!

http://i66.tinypic.com/200spiw.jpg

in-exile 11-02-2019 09:06 PM

Exactly ......seems obvious space to grab that would mirror the away fanzine open area...

JAS78 11-02-2019 09:10 PM

‘Improvements’ to the Arthur concourse are in the development plans

Nothing detailed yet as far as I can see

Danny_Cheviot 11-02-2019 09:17 PM

This kid seemed to enjoy his Arthur Waite experience. 10:05

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPo3zywd4Lo

Olympian2 11-02-2019 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle (Post 14643048)
Agree - it must be possible for some of this space to be 'pinched' for the Artur Wait - the space is massive!

http://i66.tinypic.com/200spiw.jpg

Spot on

JAS78 11-02-2019 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in-exile (Post 14643050)
Exactly ......seems obvious space to grab that would mirror the away fanzine open area...

They havenít bothered with it since 2013 so unless itís part of the development plan looks unlikely

old geezer 11-02-2019 09:23 PM

It really is quite disgusting and a very unpleasant experience
I find it hard to disagree with him sadly

Panther 11-02-2019 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carter (Post 14642813)
It is such a poor stand though and Iíve sat in it for 6 years running

Only 6 years? You lucky b*st*rd, you lucky, lucky b*st*rd......

in-exile 11-02-2019 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAS78 (Post 14643075)
They havenít bothered with it since 2013 so unless itís part of the development plan looks unlikely

I know for a fact that plans were worked on/drawn up around four years ago for a supporters club building for this area ......give us something simple in the meantime Palace!

Sick Bucket 11-02-2019 09:35 PM

TBH I've been going in the AW on and off for 40 odd years and I know it's a shithole... but I kind of like it that way. Definitely need more toilets though.

But I like that it's old and knackered and the complete opposite to most of the modern day soulless grounds you get now.

Celestial Empire 11-02-2019 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 14642845)
Iíve been in all four stands. But the Arthur is my firm favourite.

Seconded.
Basic and adequate, very good view of proceedings - that's the main thing.

andyocpfc 11-02-2019 10:44 PM

A West Ham view of our Arthur Wait stand

I donít think the AW is half as bad as people make out. In fact, I love it. Sure, itís a ball ache at HT and to have a piss but that aside, itís great. Too many people are used to new shiny plastic bowls. The day it gets knocked down will be a depressing day, far more than when/if the main stand goes. Itís a stand to watch 90 minutes of football, not a living room and sofa with en suite facilities. Iíve never once felt in danger when Iím in there either.

delboy01 11-02-2019 10:50 PM

Yeah upton park was the best ground in the world! :jerkit:

Billy Rhino 11-02-2019 10:53 PM

I always used to think the Arthur should've been done first but both the financial impact, and the fact the foundations aren't strong enough mean it was never going to happen.

The only possible realistic option in the shorter term would be a higher, lighter roof but even then it would mean a reduction in capacity, as it would need supports behind it. Could the club realistically spend a lot of money to effectively reduce its income? In the longer term it would make sense but unless there is an issue with the safety certificate it's unlikely to happen for a long time.

palacemetros 11-02-2019 11:15 PM

Maybe if they all sat down, like they're supposed to, it wouldn't be a problem.

The least they could do at his nice new taxpayer funded soulless bowl would be to rent out binoculars.

Arse!

CP-RJW 11-02-2019 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delboy01 (Post 14643266)
Yeah upton park was the best ground in the world! :jerkit:

Was probably my favourite in the league outside of Selhurst tbh. Proper ground.

chrisophiex 11-02-2019 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palacemetros (Post 14643286)
Maybe if they all sat down, like they're supposed to, it wouldn't be a problem.

The least they could do at his nice new taxpayer funded soulless bowl would be to rent out binoculars.

Arse!

They canít sit down. Theyíre riddled with cockney.

Wilbraham413 11-02-2019 11:41 PM

What a f-ing drama queen that tw-t is.

I'm from the US, been to two matches at Selhurst so far, sat in the AW both times, and it's perfectly fine. I like the stand, and I plan to sit there again this year. Yes, the concourse is crowded, and I have to head to the bathroom a few minutes before halftime, it's like that at almost any stadium in the world.

It's similar to Fenway baseball park in Boston. And I've been to a Montreal Canadiens hockey game in a relatively new stadium where the bathroom access is arguably worse than the AW.

A pr-ck from West Ham crying about a stadium, what a joke.

Reg_Maudling 11-02-2019 11:47 PM

Aw is not fit for purpose sadly and should. Be rebuilt before the main stand
However they are just jealous of selhurst park
They won't ever recover from selling their ground their soul

palacemetros 11-02-2019 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisophiex (Post 14643297)
They canít sit down. Theyíre riddled with cockney.

:D So true!

Simple&Stupid 12-02-2019 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14643294)
Was probably my favourite in the league outside of Selhurst tbh. Proper ground.

But the facilities in the away end were worse than the AW.

CP-RJW 12-02-2019 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simple&Stupid (Post 14643324)
But the facilities in the away end were worse than the AW.

Maybe, don’t think I ever used them, despite going 3 years in a row. Piss in a football ground 2 or 3 times a season.

Ninjas Headband 12-02-2019 08:12 AM

You whippersnappers and your shiny new bladders!

FMH57 12-02-2019 08:35 AM

Just don't sell as many seats in the away section. The restricted seats simply move to towards the front causing the problems outlined. This creates even more of a section with close proximity and influencing the linesman at that end of the stand.
While the vast majority of away fans stand,we should not sell the back 8 restricted row seats, but also the front eight rows to avoid problems for stewarding and the influence on the linesman. Less revenue for the club, but if it gains us a few points in any season it would certainly be worth it.

Billyd 12-02-2019 08:48 AM

It's an awful stand when full and dangerous.

You do have to wonder if anything did happen could the club get in serious trouble.

sydney eagle 12-02-2019 08:51 AM

Quote:

Close thread:p

mcmean 12-02-2019 08:53 AM

"The stadium and the Wait Stand are from a bygone age and Steve Parish needs to spend his money on a new stand instead of taking his girlfriend out."

I wish this was at the start of the article so I knew to stop reading then.

andyocpfc 12-02-2019 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billyd (Post 14643471)

You do have to wonder if anything did happen could the club get in serious trouble.

Surely the ground has to have safety checks/certificates issues on a periodic basis?

swissroll 12-02-2019 09:02 AM

View from middle AW blocks are best in ground in my opinion, but its a complete disgrace that no refurbishment of the concourse has taken place and appears no plans to do so. Doubt it would even cost that much and could probably be done over a summer

Yoda 12-02-2019 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMH57 (Post 14643458)
Just don't sell as many seats in the away section. The restricted seats simply move to towards the front causing the problems outlined. This creates even more of a section with close proximity and influencing the linesman at that end of the stand.
While the vast majority of away fans stand,we should not sell the back 8 restricted row seats, but also the front eight rows to avoid problems for stewarding and the influence on the linesman. Less revenue for the club, but if it gains us a few points in any season it would certainly be worth it.

I think itíd be hard to justify not selling the restricted view seats to the away fans, whilst merrily taking money from the home fans for an equally restricted view further along the Arthur.

As that gantry has never been used for its full length since constructed, I donít see why Parish canít remove the end sections this summer, leaving the TV companies with plenty of space in the central section still.

Not perfect, but it would help reduce the Ďletterbox effectí for hundreds of fans.

peterr259 12-02-2019 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyocpfc (Post 14643488)
Surely the ground has to have safety checks/certificates issues on a periodic basis?

If they think the Arthur is bad they should see the state of the Away team dressing room!!

peterr259 12-02-2019 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swissroll (Post 14643492)
View from middle AW blocks are best in ground in my opinion, but its a complete disgrace that no refurbishment of the concourse has taken place and appears no plans to do so. Doubt it would even cost that much and could probably be done over a summer

On the E400 open day they were pointing out how the concourse had been refurbished!!:eek:

Eagle's Away 12-02-2019 09:16 AM

Snide little comment about who Steve Parish is dating tells you all you need to know about the WH poster.

PauLo 12-02-2019 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle's Away (Post 14643514)
Snide little comment about who Steve Parish is dating tells you all you need to know about the WH poster.

TBF a fair few of our fans are dumb enough to make similar comments

PalaceForever 12-02-2019 10:01 AM

My favourite stand in the ground.

It would be good if they stuck more toilets in though (especially for the ladies).

EagleSE24 12-02-2019 10:34 AM

Away fans have access to the same number of bars and toilets as the home fans despite being outnumbered 3:1 in the AW. They don't know they're born.

stevek 12-02-2019 10:41 AM

I'm no fan of the Arthur Wait stand - and not greatly enthused by the prospect of being forced to move there next season. But what is that guy on - oh, Steve Parish should just spend some money on developing the ground? What do you think he is trying to do? We don't all get a brand new stadium built for us with public money. And as for views - at least the seats in the Arthur are in the same postcode as the pitch.

Coastal Palace 12-02-2019 10:54 AM

Can't understand why the soft mockney chav's moaning. He's only got to put up with it once a season for a couple of hours.

I've always loved the New Stand, as much as The Holmesdale when it was terraced, but it's The New Stand for me since seating. Much better view near the front on the halfway line.

jhc 12-02-2019 10:57 AM

Probably mostly true, but many of us will remember in the days of standing at Upton Park behind the goal. Didnít matter how tall you were, youíd be lucky to see half the goal & certainly never the goal line, unless you were right at the front.

As a London rate payer who has helped subsidised their new stadium, Iíd be more than happy for any Hammers fans who would like to contribute funds to improve the area of our stadium of which they are so critical.:p

CP Satellite 12-02-2019 10:58 AM

Ironic really (Iron-ic geddit?), because my first visit to the AW was with my West Ham supporting uncle, who hailed from Leyton and taught me what Apples and Pears to climb and not to play in the Frog and Toad in case I got hit by a Jam Jar.

Back then (about a year or two after the Arfur was finished) the only seats were right at the back (which is where we went as my uncle was already a pensioner then and wasn't going to stand, I doubt if I would have seen much either in a 40,000 crowd) - later in life, i.e. the usually terrible 1980s - there was always loads of room on the yawning AW enclosure, you could stretch and go to sleep if you wanted too, which was usually a better option than watching people like Tommy Langley and Trevor Aylott hitting the floodlights from six yards in front of goal.

Of course Hillsborough changed all this, plus our meteoric rise from gates of circa 5,000 by 1985 to the current era, continuously selling to near capacity.

The old ground at Upton Park was actually much smaller than Selhurst Park for decades - so it truly is ironic, sorry to hammer it home but that's modern football for you you really wouldn't Adam and Eve it, as me old Uncle Ted used to tell me.

Sharkba1t 12-02-2019 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billyd (Post 14643471)

Fully agree. Its not far short of dangerous when its fully packed.

Coastal Palace 12-02-2019 11:19 AM

Makes me wonder what that West ham fan would've thought of the stand if he'd been there in '79 v Burnley.

CP Satellite 12-02-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal Palace (Post 14643784)
Makes me wonder what that West ham fan would've thought of the stand if he'd been there in '79 v Burnley.

Record Gate at Upton Park - 42,000 Hamsters v Spurs in Division One

Record Gate at Selhurst Park - 52,000 Palace v Burnley in Division Two

Up yer bollocks Amsters!

jmemour 12-02-2019 11:35 AM

Pwopa nawty east Landan geeza doesn't like lack of gentrification in Norwood. You couldn't make it up. If he wants a restricted view try going to Liverpool away, there's pretty much no point in going in some of the seats they sell.

West Ham fans are a bunch of weirdos, this is a fact that will never change.

Ron Dogers 12-02-2019 11:35 AM

As an AW season ticket holder, I'd far rather we developed all the ground sensibly than having an out of kilter futuristic main stand and the AW as shabby as it is.

alanlee11 12-02-2019 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleSE24 (Post 14643679)
Away fans have access to the same number of bars and toilets as the home fans despite being outnumbered 3:1 in the AW. They don't know they're born.

THIS

the fact that away fans in the same stand get better facilities than the home fans is just not fair, the club really need to address this - the photo of the large vacant space on the corner would be a great starting point!

Would be really keen to pitch this to the club and get some supporter backing

Brett 12-02-2019 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleSE24 (Post 14643679)

If you go by floor size, number of cubicles etc then both male and female away fans have a greater number of toilet facilities available to them than home fans. This is sometimes rectified by smaller away followings that allows the 'neutral' zone to be opened to home fans but generally away allocations sell out and therefore the 'neutral' zone is generally only available to away fans.

The situation for female Palace supporters in the AW is particularly awful.

Billy Rhino 12-02-2019 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanlee11 (Post 14643841)
THIS

the fact that away fans in the same stand get better facilities than the home fans is just not fair, the club really need to address this - the photo of the large vacant space on the corner would be a great starting point!

Would be really keen to pitch this to the club and get some supporter backing

And they also only have to pay £30 compared to the home fans £45

Jim's Cannon 12-02-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmean (Post 14643480)
"The stadium and the Wait Stand are from a bygone age... .

As opposed to their fan base who are from, and living in, a bygone age.

leicester1 12-02-2019 08:04 PM

Should'nt worry ....anyone thats travelled to Upton Park back in the day would i presume not give a toss what they bleat about these days....nothing wrong with the Arthur theres plenty of us from the East Midlands that quite like an away day at Palace.QPR away end,now thats worth moaning about,the concourse anyway,not enough room to swing a cat and i sympathise with Watford as their concourse behind the goal is if anything even narrower so they suffer every 2 weeks.

Dobbo 12-02-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek (Post 14643701)
I'm no fan of the Arthur Wait stand - and not greatly enthused by the prospect of being forced to move there next season.

How come ?