CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   A West Ham view of our Arthur Wait stand (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=278078)

andyocpfc 11-02-2019 10:44 PM

A West Ham view of our Arthur Wait stand

I donít think the AW is half as bad as people make out. In fact, I love it. Sure, itís a ball ache at HT and to have a piss but that aside, itís great. Too many people are used to new shiny plastic bowls. The day it gets knocked down will be a depressing day, far more than when/if the main stand goes. Itís a stand to watch 90 minutes of football, not a living room and sofa with en suite facilities. Iíve never once felt in danger when Iím in there either.

delboy01 11-02-2019 10:50 PM

Yeah upton park was the best ground in the world! :jerkit:

Billy Rhino 11-02-2019 10:53 PM

I always used to think the Arthur should've been done first but both the financial impact, and the fact the foundations aren't strong enough mean it was never going to happen.

The only possible realistic option in the shorter term would be a higher, lighter roof but even then it would mean a reduction in capacity, as it would need supports behind it. Could the club realistically spend a lot of money to effectively reduce its income? In the longer term it would make sense but unless there is an issue with the safety certificate it's unlikely to happen for a long time.

palacemetros 11-02-2019 11:15 PM

Maybe if they all sat down, like they're supposed to, it wouldn't be a problem.

The least they could do at his nice new taxpayer funded soulless bowl would be to rent out binoculars.

Arse!

CP-RJW 11-02-2019 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delboy01 (Post 14643266)
Yeah upton park was the best ground in the world! :jerkit:

Was probably my favourite in the league outside of Selhurst tbh. Proper ground.

chrisophiex 11-02-2019 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palacemetros (Post 14643286)
Maybe if they all sat down, like they're supposed to, it wouldn't be a problem.

The least they could do at his nice new taxpayer funded soulless bowl would be to rent out binoculars.

Arse!

They canít sit down. Theyíre riddled with cockney.

Wilbraham413 11-02-2019 11:41 PM

What a f-ing drama queen that tw-t is.

I'm from the US, been to two matches at Selhurst so far, sat in the AW both times, and it's perfectly fine. I like the stand, and I plan to sit there again this year. Yes, the concourse is crowded, and I have to head to the bathroom a few minutes before halftime, it's like that at almost any stadium in the world.

It's similar to Fenway baseball park in Boston. And I've been to a Montreal Canadiens hockey game in a relatively new stadium where the bathroom access is arguably worse than the AW.

A pr-ck from West Ham crying about a stadium, what a joke.

Reg_Maudling 11-02-2019 11:47 PM

Aw is not fit for purpose sadly and should. Be rebuilt before the main stand
However they are just jealous of selhurst park
They won't ever recover from selling their ground their soul

palacemetros 11-02-2019 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisophiex (Post 14643297)
They canít sit down. Theyíre riddled with cockney.

:D So true!

Simple&Stupid 12-02-2019 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14643294)
Was probably my favourite in the league outside of Selhurst tbh. Proper ground.

But the facilities in the away end were worse than the AW.

CP-RJW 12-02-2019 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simple&Stupid (Post 14643324)
But the facilities in the away end were worse than the AW.

Maybe, don’t think I ever used them, despite going 3 years in a row. Piss in a football ground 2 or 3 times a season.

Ninjas Headband 12-02-2019 08:12 AM

You whippersnappers and your shiny new bladders!

FMH57 12-02-2019 08:35 AM

Just don't sell as many seats in the away section. The restricted seats simply move to towards the front causing the problems outlined. This creates even more of a section with close proximity and influencing the linesman at that end of the stand.
While the vast majority of away fans stand,we should not sell the back 8 restricted row seats, but also the front eight rows to avoid problems for stewarding and the influence on the linesman. Less revenue for the club, but if it gains us a few points in any season it would certainly be worth it.

Billyd 12-02-2019 08:48 AM

It's an awful stand when full and dangerous.

You do have to wonder if anything did happen could the club get in serious trouble.

sydney eagle 12-02-2019 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUSSELL (Post 14642846)
I want the away fans to have the worst experience both on and off the pitch!

Close thread:p

mcmean 12-02-2019 08:53 AM

"The stadium and the Wait Stand are from a bygone age and Steve Parish needs to spend his money on a new stand instead of taking his girlfriend out."

I wish this was at the start of the article so I knew to stop reading then.

andyocpfc 12-02-2019 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billyd (Post 14643471)
It's an awful stand when full and dangerous.

You do have to wonder if anything did happen could the club get in serious trouble.

Surely the ground has to have safety checks/certificates issues on a periodic basis?

swissroll 12-02-2019 09:02 AM

View from middle AW blocks are best in ground in my opinion, but its a complete disgrace that no refurbishment of the concourse has taken place and appears no plans to do so. Doubt it would even cost that much and could probably be done over a summer

Yoda 12-02-2019 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMH57 (Post 14643458)
Just don't sell as many seats in the away section. The restricted seats simply move to towards the front causing the problems outlined. This creates even more of a section with close proximity and influencing the linesman at that end of the stand.
While the vast majority of away fans stand,we should not sell the back 8 restricted row seats, but also the front eight rows to avoid problems for stewarding and the influence on the linesman. Less revenue for the club, but if it gains us a few points in any season it would certainly be worth it.

I think itíd be hard to justify not selling the restricted view seats to the away fans, whilst merrily taking money from the home fans for an equally restricted view further along the Arthur.

As that gantry has never been used for its full length since constructed, I donít see why Parish canít remove the end sections this summer, leaving the TV companies with plenty of space in the central section still.

Not perfect, but it would help reduce the Ďletterbox effectí for hundreds of fans.

peterr259 12-02-2019 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyocpfc (Post 14643488)
Surely the ground has to have safety checks/certificates issues on a periodic basis?

If they think the Arthur is bad they should see the state of the Away team dressing room!!