CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

eastend eagle 07-12-2019 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Joe Paxton (Post 15007789)
Yes awful game to be introduced into after 18 months whatever. Not exactly passing Dutch football and he seemed to be chasing a lot but hardly any match practice. Also looks like he spends too much time in De Hems in Chinatown eating bitteballen and drinking Oranjeboom. But wasn’t too bad.

Found a place in Amsterdam that does vegan bitterballen recently. Happy days! :p

SOUTHGATE EAGLE 07-12-2019 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TC EAGLE (Post 15007814)
Played a lot at left back through the ranks at Ajax and at Dutch national teams

I think he's one of those players who, if he played for a top club dominating play and particularly in a slower division, Jairo would shine. We'd need to buy three or four new players ( and a new system ) to incorporate a player like him as a first team regular. We are so far away from having the kind of players required to dominate possession and allow a player like Jairo to shine that he is surplus to requirements unless we suffer extensive injuries, like now. Even then, we'd be better off with another pacy athlete with basic technical abilities since they fit into the only system the rest of our squad allows us to try. Its just like Meyer and Camarasa. Keeping them all on our books is a waste of money really. We're never going to move our club in the direction that can incorporate their kind.

Eagle's Away 07-12-2019 05:25 PM

I actually thought he played quite well at Watford today when forced to cover Schlupp at left back.

chateauferret 07-12-2019 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle's Away (Post 15007890)
I actually thought he played quite well at Watford today when forced to cover Schlupp at left back.

Yes, Sarr was their best player by miles and the only one who actually tried to play football. Got past Riedewald a few times but would have been the same with van Aanholt there I think. Rest of Jairo's game was fine.

Kai 07-12-2019 05:28 PM

Did well and looked quite composed

steeleye20 07-12-2019 05:32 PM

Quite a renewed 'baptism of fire' for Jairo.

Was he playing left back? I don't know but whatever, he did well and is clearly a class player.

Hopefully he will nail down a first team spot.

alexcpfc 07-12-2019 05:36 PM

Thought Jairo did extremely well considering he’s been in the wilderness for last 2 years. He can pass the ball as well.

Sick Bucket 07-12-2019 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE (Post 15007875)
I think he's one of those players who, if he played for a top club dominating play and particularly in a slower division, Jairo would shine. We'd need to buy three or four new players ( and a new system ) to incorporate a player like him as a first team regular. We are so far away from having the kind of players required to dominate possession and allow a player like Jairo to shine that he is surplus to requirements unless we suffer extensive injuries, like now. Even then, we'd be better off with another pacy athlete with basic technical abilities...

I was with you until this comment, that's just a ridiculous thing to say 'basic technical abilities' I dunno how long you've been watching Palace but in my 40+ years this is one of the best technical sides we've ever had.

If you're a small Prem club like us you'll find yourself relegated pretty quickly if you try and play dominant possessive football, ask Fulham or half the teams in the Championship come to that.

Latvian Eagle 07-12-2019 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexcpfc (Post 15007920)
Thought Jairo did extremely well considering he’s been in the wilderness for last 2 years. He can pass the ball as well.

Been in the Wilderness? He put himself there by lolloping around like he hasn't given a shit in the U23s and Pre season friendlies for the last 2 - 3 seasons. If he actually had put the effort in he might have played a bit more.

Malarkey 07-12-2019 05:44 PM

Looks to be able to pass to his teammates which separates him from the rest of them...

xmasape 07-12-2019 05:47 PM

I liked what I saw in him today. If he could just up his intensity a little think he could turn out to be quite a valuable asset.

cpfcfan1 07-12-2019 05:49 PM

What's his natural position?

SussexRed&Blue 07-12-2019 05:50 PM

Was good today at Left Back when he came on passed the ball well and linked the play well with Wilf etc.

As Hodgson said previously he is a good footballer.

You do wonder how much hunger for the game he has though to be a success.

Hopefully this is a new start for him. Was impressed by him when he played against Man City a season ago but seems to have drifted along a bit in the u23's.

Ardent Eagle Forever 07-12-2019 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpfcfan1 (Post 15007940)

In the coffee shop in Amsterdam?;)

Norwich_Eagle 07-12-2019 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpfcfan1 (Post 15007940)

Central Midfield but he is quite versatile

Jordan555x 07-12-2019 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norwich_Eagle (Post 15007949)
Central Midfield but he is quite versatile

Its actually Centre Back but we've deemed him too small to play there

Thefunkymonk 07-12-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE (Post 15007875)
I think he's one of those players who, if he played for a top club dominating play and particularly in a slower division, Jairo would shine. We'd need to buy three or four new players ( and a new system ) to incorporate a player like him as a first team regular. We are so far away from having the kind of players required to dominate possession and allow a player like Jairo to shine that he is surplus to requirements unless we suffer extensive injuries, like now. Even then, we'd be better off with another pacy athlete with basic technical abilities since they fit into the only system the rest of our squad allows us to try. Its just like Meyer and Camarasa. Keeping them all on our books is a waste of money really. We're never going to move our club in the direction that can incorporate their kind.

Yep. Him meyer and Camarasa are victims of the system roy plays. Shame because all 3 are talented

TennesseeKing 07-12-2019 06:02 PM

I can see Riedewald nailing down the left back slot if PVA and Schlupp are out for any length of time. I've always felt he only needs a run in the side and he'll start to show what he can do. I'm not surprised he struggled in the under 23's, he was probably depressed playing at a level below what he knows he's capable of. It's now on him to show us what he's got, prime opportunity if PVA and Schlupp are both out next game.

SOUTHGATE EAGLE 07-12-2019 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick Bucket (Post 15007921)
I was with you until this comment, that's just a ridiculous thing to say 'basic technical abilities' I dunno how long you've been watching Palace but in my 40+ years this is one of the best technical sides we've ever had.

If you're a small Prem club like us you'll find yourself relegated pretty quickly if you try and play dominant possessive football, ask Fulham or half the teams in the Championship come to that.

We can't play through sides with passing. Look at the kind of goals we've scored all season and about the only goal we scored in which 4+ passes cut through a defence and a deliberate ball led to a finish was against Arsenal. I can't remember many goals that demonstrated the kind of technical enterprise that Watford showed in three or four moves that came within an ace of being a goal in today's match alone.

I'm not saying 'dominant' football. But an incisive passing move isn't too much to ask for, is it? I agree this is the best defence I can ever remember at Palace but one of the 'best technical sides' we've had? Are we really comparing what we have now with the slick football we played with Cabaye and RLC in the team, along with a fit Sakho? Today, we could barely string three passes together outside of our half and if this really is among our best technical sides we've put out, then that says a lot about us, considering Watford looked so much more accomplished in that department and are propping up the table.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 07-12-2019 06:41 PM

I've criticised him a lot but he put in a decent performance out of his favoured position today. Credit due.