CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

mushroom 11-05-2018 08:38 AM

Good player, can cover a few positions... probably needed this season to toughen up and get a little fitter (hard without games). I think he'll feature quite a lot next season.

Pete79 11-05-2018 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuieJack (Post 14252532)
But the reality is under Roy Hodgson he has Not progressed, and in all honesty he has disappointed whenever chosen, maybe he just is NOT as good as we all had hoped for and needs to be moved on, also after nearly a whole season to have still not established himself is maybe telling us fans something that Roy has already realised.

He's 21. He's only appeared in 12 games this season, 8 as substitute, and played quite well (the Man City game comes to mind). How is he supposed to have 'established himself' with McArthur, Cabaye, RLC and Luka in front of him? What does that even mean? And how do you know what Roy has or has not realised?

ForzaPalace 11-05-2018 08:40 AM

Think he's definitely got something about him, however I do expect him to leave in the summer, probably back to Ajax

Mictor Voses 11-05-2018 08:40 AM

Good player. Give him more game time and he can develop. I think we really need to keep him as we have very little cover in defensive midfield.

Latvian Eagle 11-05-2018 08:41 AM

Maybe I was a little harsh on Jairo as he's quite useful to cover quite a few positions. The trouble is we have spent 7.5m - 9m on him. For that price he should be starting games. We've got almost no value for money out of his first season.

I still think if an offer came in that recouped most of what we paid for him we'd be very tempted to part ways though.

Thefunkymonk 11-05-2018 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete79 (Post 14252626)
He's 21. He's only appeared in 12 games this season, 8 as substitute, and played quite well (the Man City game comes to mind). How is he supposed to have 'established himself' with McArthur, Cabaye, RLC and Luka in front of him? What does that even mean? And how do you know what Roy has or has not realised?

Roy was actually recently quoted saying he was a quality player. But hey.. these people know Better

chelmsfordeagle 11-05-2018 08:47 AM

I'd be disappointed if we sold him. We bought potential not a complete player. Keep him even if it means him going on loan for the first half of the season to get 20 games and then we reassess in Jan.

Latvian 11-05-2018 08:53 AM

Gotta keep this lad. Has quality. Establish which position he is best in, we are potentially losing Ward, Kelly, Cabaye and others this summer. He has played understudy for a year, let Roy choose where he best fits. If after a year of playing week-in, week-out or at least say 70% of matches we can then judge him.

However, gut tells me he will return to Holland or end up elsewhere on the continent, then like Valerian Ismael, we will see him playing in the UEFA cup or Champs League in 2019/2020 (not for us!).

Green Bin 11-05-2018 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14252555)
‘Disappointed whenever chosen?’ Can only recall four starts under Hodgson, an excellent performance vs Man City, a very good performance vs Burnley, and two average performances, vs Spurs and vs Brighton in the cup. He’s 21 years old, was brought in for 9 million (which is peanuts nowadays), and has had to deal with a new country, new league and the FDB debacle this season. Incredible that some are giving up on him already.

This.....let's not do a Mourinho and let a talented player go because we're not prepared to give someone time to adapt to new surroundings, league and environment and develop. From what I've seen he has touch, a good pass, vision, positioning sense and a decent tackler, will get more game time next season and by the following season could be seen as Cabaye's (better) successor.

I always note how Thierry Henry's first season at Arsenal was pretty mundane.

We need to be patient with Sorloth and Jach as well

Benzhiyi 11-05-2018 08:55 AM

Just to give some perspective, the difference in age between Riedewald and Wan-Bissaka is… 14 months.

Will we be wanting AWB binned in December too if he doesn't quite live up to the form demonstrated on breaking into the side?

Quality young players take time to develop. Look at Jose Campana now compared to his time at Palace.

Latvian Eagle 11-05-2018 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian (Post 14252652)
Gotta keep this lad. Has quality. Establish which position he is best in, we are potentially losing Ward, Kelly, Cabaye and others this summer. He has played understudy for a year, let Roy choose where he best fits. If after a year of playing week-in, week-out or at least say 70% of matches we can then judge him.

However, gut tells me he will return to Holland or end up elsewhere on the continent, then like Valerian Ismael, we will see him playing in the UEFA cup or Champs League in 2019/2020 (not for us!).

He's already played in one. :moo:

JackTheBiscuit 11-05-2018 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk (Post 14252609)
I was wrong. I also actually suggested Roy before fdb but the manger merry go round fatigiengot to me. I was wrong, I was a twat.

But my point still stands

Sorry what point was that? You said what is wrong with "you lot" when I wasn't even criticising him - quite the reverse in fact.

switchboard 11-05-2018 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzhiyi (Post 14252655)
Just to give some perspective, the difference in age between Riedewald and Wan-Bissaka is 14 months.

Will we be wanting AWB binned in December too if he doesn't quite live up to the form demonstrated on breaking into the side?

Quality young players take time to develop. Look at Jose Campana now compared to his time at Palace.

Good post, lets support the kid before binning him off.

ebyeeckeagle 11-05-2018 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle (Post 14252630)
...The trouble is we have spent 7.5m - 9m on him. For that price he should be starting games. We've got almost no value for money out of his first season..

Sorry, but I don't understand that point at all.

That level of spend is pretty routine for a decent squad player these days, so not sure why that sort of fee indicates a regular starter; playing worth does that. As to value? Well, that surely is measured over the longer term. Otherwise we really are into the realm of quick fixes and instant returns. That is fine for the odd player, but we also need to be taking a chance on players developing.

We will know if this was 'value' when he either starts playing regularly or at least becoming an important squad player. Or we sell him and see what fee we get in return.

aj4england 11-05-2018 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebyeeckeagle (Post 14252668)

That level of spend is pretty routine for a decent squad player these days, so not sure why that sort of fee indicates a regular starter; playing worth does that. As to value? Well, that surely is measured over the longer term. Otherwise we really are into the realm of quick fixes and instant returns. That is fine for the odd player, but we also need to be taking a chance on players developing.

We will know if this was 'value' when he either starts playing regularly or at least becoming an important squad player. Or we sell him and see what fee we get in return.

Agreed. The more sestablished premier club you become, the more 8m bench warmers you have, whether that is right or wrong

SOUTHGATE EAGLE 11-05-2018 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForzaPalace (Post 14252627)
Think he's definitely got something about him, however I do expect him to leave in the summer, probably back to Ajax

I suspect you are right but I would be happy to give Riedewald another season. If we do wish to play a passing style from midfield, he is technically proficient enough to develop into a DM or CM starter. He's already reasonably sound cover for both positions and it must be pointed out that he is 21. No one can say what he may become in a few years.

And I've two words for those claiming he's been proven not to have the 'stuff' after just a handful of appearances; Andy Johnson.

The idea that we should eject Riedewald is almost as bonkers as those who said we should eject McArthur exactly twelve months ago.

eddieskyclad 11-05-2018 09:25 AM

Quote:

Not sure one season in a struggling La Liga team is actually proof that Campana is actually any good ;)

Braders 11-05-2018 09:28 AM

Quote:

Campana was always quality, badly mismanaged.

dave_who_ru 11-05-2018 09:31 AM

Once the injury crisis subsided Roy finished up with his 'best' 11 and given our position he has stuck with it.

It's never easy throwing a new young player into a team that is battling relegation for much of the season particularly as he was bought in for a position that he was never going to fill.

He has stood up well and is the type of player we need to strengthen the team in depth

steve hail 11-05-2018 09:31 AM

We don't deserve good players - well, some of us don't. And I agree about Campana.

Maidstoned Eagle 11-05-2018 09:33 AM

And some people on the Transfer Forum think we should be allowed to scout players.......

http://cardfight.wikia.com/wiki/File:4x_facepalm.png

teesdale99 11-05-2018 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebyeeckeagle (Post 14252668)

Good point. Finding players good enough to regularly start in premier league for under 10m is increasingly difficult. Highly paid directors of football like our own dougie scour the footballing globe for low cost gems but they are few and far between. The likes of vardy, bolasie and that oaf Stevens at the seaweed are exceptions but even they first broke through in the championship rather than prem. The reality is that 10-14 million buys you players like sclupp, sorloth or hugill who went to West Ham and hasn’t played (?).

It’s a struggle to think of anyone we could buy (even as a lower/mid table team) for under 10m that would be likely to oust one of our starting 11.

simonjmac 11-05-2018 09:41 AM

He is an under 21 where we no longer stress out when he is on the pitch, he is great cover in several positions and we can warch him improve over time. FDB was many things but he has a reputation for finding great youth players. This kid is decent at 21, he will be class at 25. You only have to look at how stressed out we get when certain subs go on to know how good he is.

But give the poor lad a chance, he is only a year older than Wan-Bissaka!

Palacebear 11-05-2018 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE (Post 14252681)
I suspect you are right but I would be happy to give Riedewald another season. If we do wish to play a passing style from midfield, he is technically proficient enough to develop into a DM or CM starter. He's already reasonably sound cover for both positions and it must be pointed out that he is 21. No one can say what he may become in a few years.

And I've two words for those claiming he's been proven not to have the 'stuff' after just a handful of appearances; Andy Johnson.

The idea that we should eject Riedewald is almost as bonkers as those who said we should eject McArthur exactly twelve months ago.

My sentiments as well. He is definitely the sort of player that we need to keep and develop.

We potentially have cabaye, RLC, ward, punch, chungy & TFM leaving in the summer so it would be madness to sell Jairo.

We need to give the guy a chance and hope that he does enough in training & Roy trusts/rates him enough to make some more first team appearances.

Dalianeagle 11-05-2018 10:09 AM

In the latter half of the season the first choice midfield players did extremely well. There was no reason to drop them, and doing so would have been a big risk considering that despite our big improvement, we are still only six points (two wins) above a position which might have meant relegation. I think JR can understand this and it is a valid reason why he has not been given more chances. Those chances should appear in the coming season for him and his presence gives the club a bit of a stronger hand when negotiating with the current incumbents of those starting positions, some of whom will probably move on.

I am very glad that some of our posters on this forum are limited to shouting abuse at our players from the stands and get no closer to them than that. Their man-management skills and ability to think strategically / objectively are sorely lacking. Every club has got 'em though, so I imagine the players themselves stay relatively phlegmatic about the abuse they get

Sir.S.C Remembered 11-05-2018 10:18 AM

I don't see why he can't be the Cabaye solution. Almost 22, 6ft, 3 international caps, settled in now etc.

To buy again would be blocking him with someone no likely better, let alone the next central mid AWB too.

SOUTHGATE EAGLE 11-05-2018 10:25 AM

Even if Riedewald turns out to be no more than the Martin Kelly of the midfield and be able to do a competent job at a wide variety of positions, such utility in a squad is important. Have we forgotten all the injuries of this season already? Imagine the midfield had been as badly hit as the defence. Riedewald would have been vital then.

And this assumes he doesn't develop. I refuse to write off a 21 year old capable of playing in a midfield for an injury-hit team that was a spot kick away from being the first to beat the runaway champions.

JackTheBiscuit 11-05-2018 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE (Post 14252765)
Even if Riedewald turns out to be no more than the Martin Kelly of the midfield and be able to do a competent job at a wide variety of positions, such utility in a squad is important. Have we forgotten all the injuries of this season already? Imagine the midfield had been as badly hit as the defence. Riedewald would have been vital then.

And this assumes he doesn't develop. I refuse to write off a 21 year old capable of playing in a midfield for an injury-hit team that was a spot kick away from being the first to beat the runaway champions.

Exactly it - we are never going to be at the point where we have 25 high quality established players chomping at the bit to play.

The likes of Jairo, Wickham, Kelly, Dann, Puncheon, Schlupp etc will be solid back up to what will hopefully be a very strong starting 11

917L 11-05-2018 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve hail (Post 14252694)
We don't deserve good players - well, some of us don't. And I agree about Campana.

We don't deserve good players because not everyone shares the same opinion as you about them? Bizarre

Stavros 69 11-05-2018 10:47 AM

Great squad player, needs time to adjust.
His other Ajax team mates have all gone into good things, why cant he?
Cost peanuts in the grand scheme of things and hes young.
If hes not playing a lot by Xmas maybe loan him out for a few months, but he provides us excellent cover.

cockles 11-05-2018 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Hedgehog (Post 14252588)
He cost 7.5m and is paid anywhere between 25-40k.

So, you confirm you don't know what he's paid then.

Even the figure you suggest is no way a low wage. Data leaked a couple of years ago had Joel Ward on the low end or less. Would you say JR should be paid more than Joel Ward? If so, I think it's just you and FdB.

I don't see why there should be any fuss made either way about this player. Just let the manager and coaches do their job.

El Aguila 11-05-2018 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 14252789)
Great squad player, needs time to adjust.
His other Ajax team mates have all gone into good things, why cant he?
Cost peanuts in the grand scheme of things and hes young.
If hes not playing a lot by Xmas maybe loan him out for a few months, but he provides us excellent cover.

Basically this, why on earth would we be making new problems for ourselves by letting him go?!

Stan the man 11-05-2018 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simonjmac (Post 14252704)
He is an under 21 where we no longer stress out when he is on the pitch, he is great cover in several positions and we can warch him improve over time. FDB was many things but he has a reputation for finding great youth players. This kid is decent at 21, he will be class at 25. You only have to look at how stressed out we get when certain subs go on to know how good he is.

But give the poor lad a chance, he is only a year older than Wan-Bissaka!

Agree 100%

Stan the man 11-05-2018 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockles (Post 14252793)

I don't see why there should be any fuss made either way about this player. Just let the manager and coaches do their job.

Because we're palace vans voicing our opinion on our club on an online forum. To follow your directive, what would the point of any discussion be?

TWELLSEagle 11-05-2018 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan the man (Post 14252894)
Because we're palace vans voicing our opinion on our club on an online forum. To follow your directive, what would the point of any discussion be?

Outrageous to have an opinion on a player on a website designed for people to express opinions on Crystal Palace isn’t it! Really hope Jairo stays as if he leaves I can see us regretting it

CP-RJW 11-05-2018 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWELLSEagle (Post 14253293)
Outrageous to have an opinion on a player on a website designed for people to express opinions on Crystal Palace isnt it! Really hope Jairo stays as if he lives I can see us regretting it

Well that seems a bit harsh.

Glɑzier 11-05-2018 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14253296)
Well that seems a bit harsh.

Maybe he wants to wipe all traces of De Boer from the club :moo2:

Mr Palace 11-05-2018 07:14 PM

He's a decent player with a lot of potential who could go on to have a great career with us.

wavey 11-05-2018 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mushroom (Post 14252624)
Good player, can cover a few positions... probably needed this season to toughen up and get a little fitter (hard without games). I think he'll feature quite a lot next season.

Yeah. How often is it that a player comes in and performs their best in their first season? Jedi definitely took a season, Tomkins is coming into his own now, Bolasie was slow to start, Murray scored six in his first season, thirty in his second. PVA was largely derided in his first six months, only now 18 months on is he playing his best. I could go on.

Sakho obviously came in and did well during his loan spell and Luka got going very quickly, but it is common that players take at least a season to settle.

Harry Holmesdale 11-05-2018 07:16 PM

Cant believe people writing off a bloke who is clearly technically decent, very young and adjusting to a new country and league.

Lets get some perspective here. Wilf would be nowhere near the 1st team if he was 17-20 at this stage and definitely wouldn't be allowed to make mistakes.

The fee is peanuts today and I would argue that he looks a better prospect than Sorloth as he is technically better.

Jim Cannon 11-05-2018 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavey (Post 14253321)
Yeah. How often is it that a player comes in and performs their best in their first season? Jedi definitely took a season, Tomkins is coming into his own now, Bolasie was slow to start, Murray scored six in his first season, thirty in his second. PVA was largely derided in his first six months, only now 18 months on is he playing his best. I could go on.

Sakho obviously came in and did well during his loan spell and Luka got going very quickly, but it is common that players take at least a season to settle.

Murray only got 6 in his first season because we were so shit and he had no service

alf 11-05-2018 07:37 PM

Haven't seen enough of him yet but when I see him play in midfield he seems competent enough and is still young. He reminds me a bit of Mikele Leigertwood during his Palace days. I felt he was a strong player who never let us down.

It's a "must keep" from me.

stevek 12-05-2018 06:58 AM

I like him, but I worry he's the new Stuart O'Keefe.

Neat and tidy midfielder. Rated by fans. Never seems to let us down. Plays a part in big matches (play-off final for SO'K, Man City draw for JR) but apparently not fancied by the manager and in the end doesn't make it at the top level.

I hope I'm proved wrong, though.

eastend eagle 12-05-2018 07:03 AM

Jeez, goes to show how fickle the old memory is. I'd completely forgotten O'Keefe till that comment. Poor of me.

The12thman 12-05-2018 07:09 AM

If we get rid of him, with the other players expiring contracts we will have a very thin squad.

If he stays next season he will get more game time as a good young utility player. I would keep him and see how he gets on. Loads of players need a season to settle fully, then it all comes together the next season.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 12-05-2018 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek (Post 14253567)

Neat and tidy midfielder. Rated by fans. New seems to let us down. Plays a part in big matches (play-off final for SO'K, Man City draw for JR) but apparently not fancied by the manager and in the end doesn't make it at the top level.

I think fans opinion on Jairo is quite mixed though, more so than it was with O'Keefe.

redeagle 12-05-2018 07:38 AM

He needs game time to develop.

MFBias 12-05-2018 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek (Post 14253567)

Neat and tidy midfielder. Rated by fans. Never seems to let us down. Plays a part in big matches (play-off final for SO'K, Man City draw for JR) but apparently not fancied by the manager and in the end doesn't make it at the top level.

OKeefe came from Southend, Rieldewald came from Ajax and had played european football after coming through one of the best youth producing clubs in the world.

Palaceguard 12-05-2018 10:24 AM

Can't have a 25 man squad of first teamers. Need versatile squad players especially young ones, who can develop and step up when needed.

Good option from bench but still looks like needs more time to adapt.

Rate him over Kelly though Kelly has height which sometimes comes in handy at the back. But if we could sell Kelly and replace with Amadou I think the squad would be stronger and Kelly's mistakes can prove very costly, though Mama sorts everyone out!

Biggineagle 12-05-2018 10:35 AM

Certainly must keep. He has stepped up to the plate when neccessary. He needs more game time and may well get this next season. I get the feeling he wants to be a cpfc club player but atm doesnt see himself involved enough to be one atm.

Abjekt 12-05-2018 03:22 PM

Definitely worth keeping Jairo around. He's still only 21 and Roy has mentioned how good he's looked in training and that he just wanted him to get up to speed with the more physical nature of things over here.

He's show in patches (i.e. when he's played) that he's comfortable on the ball and that's something that suits us under Roy. Not saying he'll be playing week in, week out next season, but if we're to aim a bit higher than 17th, having players in reserve like Jairo is exactly what we need.

Bryan 12-05-2018 03:25 PM

Will feature next season. Possibly alongside Luka.

Latvian Eagle 12-05-2018 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palaceguard (Post 14253740)
Can't have a 25 man squad of first teamers. Need versatile squad players especially young ones, who can develop and step up when needed.

Good option from bench but still looks like needs more time to adapt.

Rate him over Kelly though Kelly has height which sometimes comes in handy at the back. But if we could sell Kelly and replace with Amadou I think the squad would be stronger and Kelly's mistakes can prove very costly, though Mama sorts everyone out!

Kelly is a Centre Back come Right Back. Amadou is a Centre Mid. Why would we replace one with the other? :confused:

Nostrils 12-05-2018 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle (Post 14254029)
Kelly is a Centre Back come Right Back. Amadou is a Centre Mid. Why would we replace one with the other? :confused:

I think Amadou is a defensive midfielder come centre back. That would be decent cover as a fifth centre back choice, especially if it was Damo's place. I'd like to keep Kelly.

Latvian Eagle 12-05-2018 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostrils (Post 14254039)
I think Amadou is a defensive midfielder come centre back. That would be decent cover as a fifth centre back choice, especially if it was Damo's place. I'd like to keep Kelly.

So would I. I like MK and he does a job when called upon.

Hedgehog 17-06-2018 04:11 AM

I was just channel surfing and hit upon a show called "Phenoms". It is following 3 young Dutch players in the Ajax youth system. One of them is Jario.

I'll report in later.

https://www.foxsportsgo.com/program/...iumnetherlands

exiledeagle 17-06-2018 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redeagle (Post 14253598)
He needs game time to develop.

Not sure he will get it with us though - so maybe he will want first team football

LuieJack 17-06-2018 01:19 PM

I do wonder if he is rated by Roy also does he suit the system Roy has in mind, and if the answer is No then the only alternative should be we sell. He was brought in by FdB mainly to play a system that HE had in mind.
If we are honest there has been nothing in his play that suggests he is what we need, but i also accept he has barely played so its unfair to draw any proper conclusions. But feel he needs to return to Dutch football if we are to see the best of him, i really feel he has all the attributes needed to become a "sweeper" and in time will develop into that role and be an excellent player, just a pity i dont think it will be at the Palace.

Hedgehog 17-06-2018 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 14295854)
I was just channel surfing and hit upon a show called "Phenoms". It is following 3 young Dutch players in the Ajax youth system. One of them is Jario.

I'll report in later.

https://www.foxsportsgo.com/program/...iumnetherlands

I just watched the hour long program. It is really jerky and did not really have much reference to Palace. In fact I don't believe they even mentioned them by name.

A bit disappointed in the programme to be honest.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 17-06-2018 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 14296700)
I just watched the hour long program. It is really jerky and did not really have much reference to Palace. In fact I don't believe they even mentioned them by name.

A bit disappointed in the programme to be honest.

Kind of how I feel about Jairo... A bit disappointed.

Hedgehog 17-06-2018 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 14296770)
Kind of how I feel about Jairo... A bit disappointed.

Yeah.. he was going on about having to leave Ajax to get playing time. That didn't really work out did it.

Neillo's Son 17-06-2018 08:04 PM

I don't have anything against Jairo but he's on a very good salary to sit on our bench.

cpfcfan1 17-06-2018 08:07 PM

Will be sold this summer imo.

Hedgehog 17-06-2018 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgehog (Post 14296866)
Yeah.. he was going on about having to leave Ajax to get playing time. That didn't really work out did it.

Although thinking about it, the programme was more about young players on the fringe of the Holland (and Belgium) team. The fact he did get back into contention for the Dutch team and got selected during the season might suggest it helped him internationally coming to Palace.

Thefunkymonk 17-06-2018 09:02 PM

We starting this again....

wrightchipvcfc 17-06-2018 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpfcfan1 (Post 14296976)
Will be sold this summer imo.

Apparently on good wages so unless his willing to take pay cut to get game time elsewhere can't see him leaving maybe out on loan but we would prob have to pay some of his wages

red&blue_moomin 17-06-2018 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neillo's Son (Post 14296965)
I don't have anything against Jairo but he's on a very good salary to sit on our bench.

It's almost like you need a squad. If Luka gets injured it's Jairo and Jimmy time. Also you need players to play against in training and the better our second string the better the results of training.

gold76 18-06-2018 08:55 AM

I think its far too early to right him off completely.

Maybe a loan out might do him good?

PauLo 18-06-2018 09:06 AM

Last season was obviously an adjustment period for him. No way should he be sold or loaned out.

Thefunkymonk 18-06-2018 09:21 AM

If people can’t see he clearly has ability then I give up with this place. He’s 21, capped by his country, played in UEFA cup final, but we should sell him. ****tards

Pub Idol 18-06-2018 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk (Post 14297331)
If people can’t see he clearly has ability then I give up with this place. He’s 21, capped by his country, played in UEFA cup final, but we should sell him. ****tards

I agree with your stance on him completely - But surely people are allowed to have their own opinion - And if a player is not playing then its only natural they will speculate. Who's to say Roy isn't considering moving him on anyway? He didn't even seem to play him after a brilliant game against Man City.

cpfc4evandeva 18-06-2018 09:45 AM

He has form for this. Everyone who slated Benteke this season was all sorts of swear words under the sun. The irony of course is that he also reserved an absurd amount of criticism over Roy’s appointment. What a silly sausage.

And a criteria of ‘He’s young and capped for his country!’ Hello there Mr Jeffers.

https://www.lolfootball.com/wp-conte...t-12.42.45.png

cpfc4evandeva 18-06-2018 09:47 AM

And fwiw, I think he’s looked alright. Not amazing but not bad either. I wonder if a loan spell would do him good.

Eagle Kneevil 18-06-2018 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva (Post 14297356)
He has form for this. Everyone who slated Benteke this season was all sorts of swear words under the sun. The irony of course is that he also reserved an absurd amount of criticism over Roys appointment. What a silly sausage.

And a criteria of Hes young and capped for his country! Hello there Mr Jeffers.

https://www.lolfootball.com/wp-conte...t-12.42.45.png

Ahem, and - er - step forward Mr Martin Kelly.

Neillo's Son 18-06-2018 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red&blue_moomin (Post 14297071)
It's almost like you need a squad. If Luka gets injured it's Jairo and Jimmy time. Also you need players to play against in training and the better our second string the better the results of training.

No question we need a squad and when it's a fully fit squad it's actually not half bad.

Whilst we have 25,000 spectators and limited corporate revenue, to have someone on 60k a week playing a handful of games is pretty mind boggling though.

Steve in Phoenix 18-06-2018 11:57 AM

If he was an academy graduate at that age, attitudes here would be very different. Good versatile squad player who should come on strong next year. Madness to sell with RLC gone and possibly Cabaye too.

Biggineagle 18-06-2018 12:11 PM

I think he will get more action this season, Roy is keen on him and wants to keep him. As do I. Only 21 and much more to come.

red&blue_moomin 18-06-2018 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neillo's Son (Post 14297485)
No question we need a squad and when it's a fully fit squad it's actually not half bad.

Whilst we have 25,000 spectators and limited corporate revenue, to have someone on 60k a week playing a handful of games is pretty mind boggling though.

Depends on context though. We can only put 11 players on the pitch but we need a squad of 22 to 25 players. If Luka had been shit/injured this season then Jairo would have played a lot more otherwise we'd have had Punch and Yohan trying to play DM again......

This coming season Luka will have been at the WC so Jairo may well play a lot more early doors.

16eagles 30-06-2018 08:32 PM

He will get more of chance next year, I like him - currently our best ball playing midfielder at present. Think him and Milivojevic will be okay but we defiantly need more. Would love Fabian Delph myself.

cpfc4evandeva 30-06-2018 08:56 PM

Best ball playing midfielder? Over Cabaye? No way. In fact, Luka is also better on the ball than people give him credit for.

Happy Arthur 30-06-2018 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16eagles (Post 14314960)
He will get more of chance next year, I like him - currently our best ball playing midfielder at present. Think him and Milivojevic will be okay but we defiantly need more. Would love Fabian Delph myself.

Too much sun?

bigend1 30-06-2018 09:04 PM

Quote:

:eek:

He's behind cabaye, luka and Jimmy in every aspect including passing just in cm. Let's hope we keep yohan and sign one more

Ian Hart 30-06-2018 10:26 PM

Quote:

Would love Fabian Delph myself.

Have you any idea what salary he is on at Man City?!

Leaving aside the transfer fee (which is likely to be north of 20m) even just matching his current salary would probably mean we would have to release three players just to balance the already precarious books.

16eagles 02-07-2018 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Hart (Post 14315040)

Leaving aside the transfer fee (which is likely to be north of 20m) even just matching his current salary would probably mean we would have to release three players just to balance the already precarious books.

Wrong Cabaye was earning more than Delph last season. You are right probably with fee 25 mill minimum.

LuieJack 03-07-2018 06:41 AM

This season is going to be make or break for Jairo Riedewald as far as his Palace future i feel. Since joining he would have had a proper settling in period after the turmoil on joining last season so there can be no excuses, however my main concern will be him not getting enough playing opportunities and we Must ensure he does if we are to judge him. Maybe the answer is firstly seeing how he gets on in pre season then loaning him out until the end of December to get regular playing time which he desperately needs, that will then give us an indication of his quality which i feel there is all be it hidden away, but there is real quality there and we must NOT lose a player without realising his true potential.
I really do think he has all the attributes to turn into a superb "sweeper" type defensive midfielder/defender sitting in front of a Back Four, that could then release Luka into a more free midfield role. Why are we talking about bringing in another similar type with this Turkish guy without giving JR a proper chance to state his own case.

MFBias 03-07-2018 07:18 AM

Riedewald is 21, there is plenty of time. Look how long we have kept Williams around for. One thing de Boer was right about was making the squad younger, he will develop, and other than Huddersfield I thought he performed well when called apon. He was fantastic against Man City.

costello 03-07-2018 07:42 AM

I find it very, very difficult to see what his key attributes are. Seems that his preferred positions are holding midfield / central defence / left central defence but I have yet to see the physical attributes that are required to play in these roles in England. Would love to be proved wrong BTW.

Tomo 03-07-2018 07:47 AM

I don't think his physical stature matters as much in holding midfield, when it's more about positional awareness and being able to get stuck it.

David of Kent 03-07-2018 08:30 AM

He's a very tidy passer and has been schooled well. The physical side usually improves with very young players new to England in their 2nd year so I'm hoping we see more from him this season. I think there's a good midfielder there

wedgetail 03-07-2018 08:41 AM

Riedewald is is on the trajectory to be a top DM. The comments about learning from Luka are spot on. Only a fool however would play him at CB.

GreatGonzo 03-07-2018 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigend1 (Post 14314986)
:eek:

He's behind cabaye, luka and Jimmy in every aspect including passing just in cm. Let's hope we keep yohan and sign one more

Disagree.

If you take the the key aspects of the midfield role, passing, tackling, interceptions:

Luka pays more passes than the others followed by Cabaye, Jimmy and Jairo
In terms of % completion Cabaye is top (83%), Luka second (80%) and Jairo and Jimmy tied (79%)
Successful tackles made Cabaye again top (1.68) ahead of Jairo (1.67), Jimmy (1.64) and Luka (1.48)
Interceptions Cabaye again leads the way (2.86) from Jairo (2.51), Luka (2.15) and Jimmy (1.41)

It shows just how key Cabaye is to our midfield and why keeping him would be so beneficial but who is in the wings waiting to take over from him?

Jairo has time on his side but in terms of reading play and stepping in to win the ball, and making tackles which is where Cabaye has been so critical to us he is probably the best we have in the squad at present. He needs the confidence to get on the ball and dictate the play more as he plays the least passes based on per 90 minutes. Think there may be a decent player in there though as time goes on.

BBK 03-07-2018 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Hart (Post 14315040)

He's out of contract next season unless he's signed a new one this year? Highly doubt the fee would be that high.

Reiedwald has the potential to be good, not sure why people are so obsessed with slagging him off. He was very highly regarded at Ajax who have a pretty decent academy set up, apparently they've had some ok players come from it.

switchboard 03-07-2018 09:41 AM

If Cabaye signs up then Jairo should get a bit more game time stepping in for him when needed

bigend1 03-07-2018 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatGonzo (Post 14318293)
Disagree.

If you take the the key aspects of the midfield role, passing, tackling, interceptions:

Luka pays more passes than the others followed by Cabaye, Jimmy and Jairo
In terms of % completion Cabaye is top (83%), Luka second (80%) and Jairo and Jimmy tied (79%)
Successful tackles made Cabaye again top (1.68) ahead of Jairo (1.67), Jimmy (1.64) and Luka (1.48)
Interceptions Cabaye again leads the way (2.86) from Jairo (2.51), Luka (2.15) and Jimmy (1.41)

It shows just how key Cabaye is to our midfield and why keeping him would be so beneficial but who is in the wings waiting to take over from him?

Jairo has time on his side but in terms of reading play and stepping in to win the ball, and making tackles which is where Cabaye has been so critical to us he is probably the best we have in the squad at present. He needs the confidence to get on the ball and dictate the play more as he plays the least passes based on per 90 minutes. Think there may be a decent player in there though as time goes on.

Those statistics are still a bit unbalanced for me though

I’m not writing off Jairo at all, I think he’s got potential but some saying he’s ready to go have not got enough to justify that. Roy certainly didn’t agree either.

For me, as I said Cabaye & Luka > Jimmy > ridewald (in CM)

The stats back that when you consider the roles and games they came in..

Passing is in that order so agrees except Jimmy tied with Jairo but that’s because Jimmy was mostly attacking and on wing, crossing, playing key passes and trying to create chances where ridewald was sitting deep playing safe passes for the most part.

Tackles doesn’t match my order but again Jimmy was mostly attacking compared to ridewald. Ridewald tackling is impressive statistics but for the most part came off the bench to protect a lead. That means he’s sitting deep while teams are coming at us so obviously he’s getting more tackles. When Jimmy played the same he was excellent. Surprised at Luka but his quality isn’t being debated as we know his quality ans that just shows the flaws in statistics without context

Same applies with interceptions

For Cm Cabaye and Luka are our best pair, Jimmy excellent cover but likely playing elsewhere. Ridewald has potential but we can’t go into the season with him as a starter. Given Roy’s reluctantly to use him at the end of last season I doubt he’ll be considered first back up either. I think we want Cabaye + 1 Cm or 2 if yohan leaves

red&blue_moomin 03-07-2018 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigend1 (Post 14318325)
Those statistics are still a bit unbalanced for me though

I’m not writing off Jairo at all, I think he’s got potential but some saying he’s ready to go have not got enough to justify that. Roy certainly didn’t agree either.

For me, as I said Cabaye & Luka > Jimmy > ridewald (in CM)

The stats back that when you consider the roles and games they came in..

Passing is in that order so agrees except Jimmy tied with Jairo but that’s because Jimmy was mostly attacking and on wing, crossing, playing key passes and trying to create chances where ridewald was sitting deep playing safe passes for the most part.

Tackles doesn’t match my order but again Jimmy was mostly attacking compared to ridewald. Ridewald tackling is impressive statistics but for the most part came off the bench to protect a lead. That means he’s sitting deep while teams are coming at us so obviously he’s getting more tackles. When Jimmy played the same he was excellent. Surprised at Luka but his quality isn’t being debated as we know his quality ans that just shows the flaws in statistics without context

Same applies with interceptions

For Cm Cabaye and Luka are our best pair, Jimmy excellent cover but likely playing elsewhere. Ridewald has potential but we can’t go into the season with him as a starter. Given Roy’s reluctantly to use him at the end of last season I doubt he’ll be considered first back up either. I think we want Cabaye + 1 Cm or 2 if yohan leaves

Facts are facts. Those are black and white. You've stated everything off your impresssions which have been shown to be wrong and contradicted by the actual stats and not your gut feel.

They tell you that the boy has enormous potential and looks like given some time and coaching could be a combined version of Yo and Luka.

Roy doesn't do subs at least he did'nt, not until the end of the season. You'll notice that when he did start doing them he was putting Jairo on as a DM for the last 10 or 15 minutes of matches where we were holding onto a lead. Also in matches where Luka or Yohan were missing he tried him out as a starting DM against the teams in 1st, 7th and 3rd. So no he clearly absolutely does see him as a backup, and he did bloody well in two of those matches and was average in the third.

UncleAlbert 03-07-2018 02:31 PM

He was the best player on the pitch for the city game i really like him.

Harry Holmesdale 03-07-2018 02:40 PM

If his name was Jonny Williams we would be saying build the team around him

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 03-07-2018 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleAlbert (Post 14318710)
He was the best player on the pitch for the city game i really like him.

I really didn't see him as close to the best player on the pitch. And there were some underwhelming appearances after that too. There must be a reason he wasn't even making the bench at the end of the season.

MFBias 03-07-2018 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 14318743)
I really didn't see him as close to the best player on the pitch. And there were some underwhelming appearances after that too. There must be a reason he wasn't even making the bench at the end of the season.

Im another one who thought he was the best Palace player on the pitch that day, I also didnt think he was 'underwhelming' but saw flashes of a great player Huddersfield aside.

He was on the bench 8 times out of the last 10 games getting on the pitch three times aswell so not sure your statement is true. (two games he missed were in a row so whos know if he had a knock or not)

cpfc4evandeva 03-07-2018 03:06 PM

Thankfully, I recently heard Hodgson say in interview that he thought that most stats were a load of pony.