CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

Timbo 20-10-2020 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 15466286)
I don't think he will. Jairo hasn't shown the ability or that he is better than other options until now. If he continues to then I think he will keep his place.

I agree in spirit but our midfield of JR and JMac didnt win much ball and seemed pressured as a unit. In fairness maybe that is because we got less out of Schlupp who was constantly covering for Mitchell up against a lively Lamptey

AJ 20-10-2020 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TouchyAndalou (Post 15466110)
He's our only midfielder with a bit of composure. Several times he received the ball and didn't immediately look to get rid of it. Instead he looked up and took a second to pick the right pass or move the ball forward himself before releasing a teammate. And he usually made the right decision. Hopefully he keeps his place in the side.

Which speaks volumes about those around him as Jairo was a defender when we signed him.

GB2506 20-10-2020 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ (Post 15466344)
Which speaks volumes about those around him as Jairo was a defender when we signed him.

He’s always said his preferred and best position is CM

GB2506 20-10-2020 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo (Post 15466319)
I agree in spirit but our midfield of JR and JMac didnt win much ball and seemed pressured as a unit. In fairness maybe that is because we got less out of Schlupp who was constantly covering for Mitchell up against a lively Lamptey

They had 3 CM we had 2. Wasn’t until about the 75th minute Roy changed it but Schlupp couldn’t stay centrally as he kept having to help Mitchell out. I think McCarthy would be a better partner for JR out of all the other options.

Martin H 20-10-2020 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ (Post 15466344)

He had played left back centre back and in midfield for Ajax. It's in midfield that he considers himself best.

glaziers fan 20-10-2020 12:19 PM

Interview with Jairo in the Evening Standard, not sure if it's been mentioned. Yes, it was obvious Hodgson trusted Jairo for the first time in pre season. The concern was that after his hamstring injury he would drop below Luka again in the pecking order but Roy got it right and it was a deserved opportunity. He did enough in the Brighton game to get a run of 4 or 5 more games as a minimum. Jairo comes across well in the interview. A leader I reckon.

Hope we can find the right partner for him.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...-a4572117.html

Gregz41 20-10-2020 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glaziers fan (Post 15466414)
Interview with Jairo in the Evening Standard, not sure if it's been mentioned. Yes, it was obvious Hodgson trusted Jairo for the first time in pre season. The concern was that after his hamstring injury he would drop below Luka again in the pecking order but Roy got it right and it was a deserved opportunity. He did enough in the Brighton game to get a run of 4 or 5 more games as a minimum. Jairo comes across well in the interview. A leader I reckon.

Hope we can find the right partner for him.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...-a4572117.html

He is saying the right things and it is refreshing to hear the desire to use the ball in a more creative way. He's technically much better than Mcarthur/McCarthy/Milivojevic. Would like to see him in a three man midfield with Eze and one other.

Golf Boy 20-10-2020 01:15 PM

He needs a couple of enforcers and to be let loose. We’d have to sacrifice one odd the front two or a winger though.

BringbackShipps 20-10-2020 01:36 PM

As someone that came through the Ajax academy I’d love to know what he makes of (and says) to his teammates when they sh*t themselves under pressure.

MAW 20-10-2020 01:40 PM

Let's hope he is incentivised to add to his three Netherlands caps.

scro 20-10-2020 01:47 PM

I have nothing against him but it goes to how how starved of decent passers we have been that everyone is creaming their knickers about him now. To think Jairo is now the messiah and some people didn't rate cabaye!

andyf5000 20-10-2020 01:58 PM

Jairo is composed on the ball and can play a forward pass which among our current crop of midfielders makes him stand out. I’d like to see him alongside McCarthy who offers more bite than MacArthur who’s been a great servant but should probably start on the bench.

Golf Boy 20-10-2020 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scro (Post 15466629)
I have nothing against him but it goes to how how starved of decent passers we have been that everyone is creaming their knickers about him now. To think Jairo is now the messiah and some people didn't rate cabaye!

He passes as well as Cabaye did when he played for us.

Ticehurst 20-10-2020 02:10 PM

We've been crying out for a box to box midfielder for ages oh for an Andy gray ,Geoff Thomas ..we desperately need an engine in that midfield..

BillyTKid 20-10-2020 02:12 PM

Jairo isn’t as good a player as Cabaye but I think he is a better passer.

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o 20-10-2020 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ticehurst (Post 15466657)
We've been crying out for a box to box midfielder for ages oh for an Andy gray ,Geoff Thomas ..we desperately need an engine in that midfield..

I'm not sure he's in that mould at all.
I like him a lot..but he's slower than Andy and Geoff..and whilst he does get box to box it's not quite with the same dynamism that those two had.

He sees a pass well and can get out of tight situations well.
His engine is questionable but that may be down purely to lack of matches at first team level.

I think he should sit either just behind the front 2/3 or just in front of the back four. I think he could do either...but at the moment I think he would struggle if we ask him to be up and down for 90 mins.

Eagle Black 20-10-2020 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB2506 (Post 15466376)
He’s always said his preferred and best position is CM

You watch Roy bring back McCarthy when he's fit.

Jairo looked real class and should remain in the side.

cpfcfan1 20-10-2020 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle Black (Post 15466827)
You watch Roy bring back McCarthy when he's fit.

Jairo looked real class and should remain in the side.

Wouldn't even surprise you to see jairo dropped for luka next game

winners 20-10-2020 04:37 PM

Interesting he states he has come back stronger and fitter this year. I think it shows and I still think he has work to do in that area. There is a place there for him, but he needs to work hard and earn it/deserve it.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 20-10-2020 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpfcfan1 (Post 15466841)
Wouldn't even surprise you to see jairo dropped for luka next game

Would surprise me.