CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   The Politics Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Tory Party (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=279419)

Adlerhorst 29-08-2019 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatGonzo (Post 14900308)
She has now done so. Her letter states because of the likelihood of a GE in the immediate future and the Scottish elections in 2021, she does not want to be away from her family campaigning for 2 elections in 20 months so has stood down.

Whether you think it is for this, or because of Boris or a bit of both, the Scotch Tories are pretty much ****ed now.

Went from 1 MP in 2015 to 13 in 2017, and that was primarily down to her. They are only in power now because of her. In a near future election a lot of those seats are likely to be lost, so that’s a lot of extra seats Boris has to win elsewhere.

GreatGonzo 29-08-2019 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 14900315)
Whether you think it is for this, or because of Boris or a bit of both, the Scotch Tories are pretty much ****ed now.

Went from 1 MP in 2015 to 13 in 2017, and that was primarily down to her. So in a future election a lot of those seats are likely to be lost, so thatís a lot of extra seats Boris has to win elsewhere.

Depends a little on the successor but yes, she was one of, if not the most well thought of Tory politician and many would have liked to have seen her leading the party.

She has made no secret of her position on Brexit, but i am inclined to believe the underlying reasons for it being family. The timing the day after Johnson's decision will always raise suspicions though. Equally Holyrood is due to sit again on Monday and it also makes sense that her announcement came before that.

ExiledStirling 29-08-2019 11:21 AM

She was the only one who had the wherewith all to hold the SNP government to account.

She transformed the Tories up here and deposing Labour as the second party is testament to how good she was. However I feel she has recently, both before and after her maternity leave, appeared to become less her own person and more a mouthpiece for central office and less convincing and effective for it.

adrenalin john 29-08-2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExiledStirling (Post 14900387)
I feel she has recently, both before and after her maternity leave, appeared to become less her own person and more a mouthpiece for central office and less convincing and effective for it.

Interesting. Not going against Boris or central office directly but also being on the right side of Brexit could be an insurance policy against leaving any hostages out there.

It makes me wonder if she has a longer term plan, involving national leadership. If so dropping out now for legitimate family reasons means her record remains utterly unblemished and she avoids what is likely to be an utter cluster**** over the next few years.

As a Scottish woman of charm, charisma, communication skills and a degree of humanity so often absolutely absent in the tory genetic make up, I think she could appeal to a broad spectrum in a UK wide election. Once her boy starts school obviously.

ExiledStirling 29-08-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrenalin john (Post 14900410)
Interesting. Not going against Boris or central office directly but also being on the right side of Brexit could be an insurance policy against leaving any hostages out there.

It makes me wonder if she has a longer term plan, involving national leadership. If so dropping out now for legitimate family reasons means her record remains utterly unblemished and she avoids what is likely to be an utter cluster**** over the next few years.

As a Scottish woman of charm, charisma, communication skills and a degree of humanity so often absolutely absent in the tory genetic make up, I think she could appeal to a broad spectrum in a UK wide election. Once her boy starts school obviously.

You may have a point.

If she decides to stand down as an MSP at any point and puts herself forward as a Tory party candidate in a Westminster seat, then her course will be set to try and become a future Tory leader.

the drexciyan 31-08-2019 04:43 PM

Why is she even a tory? For them she's like Andy Carroll to football, about 30 years out of date.

Philipw 01-09-2019 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the drexciyan (Post 14902993)
Why is she even a tory? For them she's like Andy Carroll to football, about 30 years out of date.

you may be surprised to hear this, but not all Tories are clones of Boris and Rees Mogg...

Ruskin Old Boy 01-09-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philipw (Post 14904449)
you may be surprised to hear this, but not all Tories are clones of Boris and Rees Mogg...

You've met Gonzo then?

bubbs11 04-09-2019 05:55 AM

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/inews...-list-mps/amp/

So 21 Tories losing the whip.

It’s Twilight Zone stuff. Are the Tories finally about to eat themselves to death?

DANGERMOUSE 04-09-2019 06:57 AM

Was Labour this bad around the time of the SDP defections? I'm trying to think of a time in modern politics when a major party has torn itself to bits like the Tories are doing now.

NickP 04-09-2019 07:08 AM

Quote:

They will be soon.

SE25 exile 04-09-2019 07:13 AM

Quote:

Agreed, but those 21 Tory MPs have now been sacked today by the dicktator, so you need to revise your view.

BillyTKid 04-09-2019 08:05 AM

I’ve pretty much always voted Conservative but I’m going to be voting Lib Dem. Over the last few years the party has been moving further and further away from my centralist position. I find their doubling down on hard Brexit to be a massively short term move and a big problem to the party over the longer term. I know the demographic of the Tory vote has always been skewed towards the older vote but I feel this will be particularly the case at the next election. I’m 38 and feel the party has become completely outdated and can’t see where younger new Tory votes will come from in the future.

weltklasse 04-09-2019 08:38 AM

Denial is never a good place to be:D

https://pbs.twimg.com/amplify_video_...jpg&name=small

weltklasse 04-09-2019 08:41 AM

quote from Keith Simpson MP

"What moron in No10 thought up this wheeze."

lowenand 04-09-2019 08:41 AM

Shameful behaviour. Rees-Mogg has voted over 100 times against his own party. Now someone does it once and they are out.

dogstar721 04-09-2019 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 14906591)
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/inews...-list-mps/amp/

So 21 Tories losing the whip.

Itís Twilight Zone stuff. Are the Tories finally about to eat themselves to death?

Pretty much, given some of those names on that list are among the most respected members of the party. Sacking Ken Clarke would have been unimaginable under just about any Tory Leader.

It'd be like Heath sacking Thatcher or Thatcher sacking Hessletine because they didn't agree with them. Dark days for the conservative party as its going to effectively slough off its moderate MPs and probably in doing so lose them to the Liberal Democrats or see them stand well as independents at the next election (and split their vote).

If they're lucky, Ken Clarke will stand down. if he stands as an independent, chances are he'll get at least half the tory vote in his constituency (probably delivering a seat for the Lib Dems.

It seems to me, that Borris Johnson is now reliant election wise on forming a coailition of the DUP, with the Brexit Party / UKIP or whatever they'll be called by then under Farage (an unlikely prospect that either would be willing to take the lesser role).

F**ked in the eyes of anyone who is remotely interested in policitcs beyond polemics, are the tories.

GreatGonzo 04-09-2019 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogstar721 (Post 14906763)
Pretty much, given some of those names on that list are among the most respected members of the party. Sacking Ken Clarke would have been unimaginable under just about any Tory Leader.

It'd be like Heath sacking Thatcher or Thatcher sacking Hessletine because they didn't agree with them. Dark days for the conservative party as its going to effectively slough off its moderate MPs and probably in doing so lose them to the Liberal Democrats or see them stand well as independents at the next election (and split their vote).

If they're lucky, Ken Clarke will stand down. if he stands as an independent, chances are he'll get at least half the tory vote in his constituency (probably delivering a seat for the Lib Dems.

It seems to me, that Borris Johnson is now reliant election wise on forming a coailition of the DUP, with the Brexit Party / UKIP or whatever they'll be called by then under Farage (an unlikely prospect that either would be willing to take the lesser role).

F**ked in the eyes of anyone who is remotely interested in policitcs beyond polemics, are the tories.

How will it deliver a seat to the Lib Dems?

He got 30,223 last time, the Lib Dems 2.759. Labout were the nearest challenger on 22,213.

If he stands, as he has said in 2015 he would not stand in 2020, then the Tory electorate may view that not voting Tory risks letting Corbyn in.

Spindle 04-09-2019 09:32 AM

Yes you'd rather have the current lot in the midst of their turf war than an actual functioning majority government.....

GreatGonzo 04-09-2019 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spindle (Post 14906799)
Yes you'd rather have the current lot in the midst of their turf war than an actual functioning majority government.....

Can you offer a good option?

Are the Lib Dems going to secure a majority government? If not it remains that the only 2 who could would be Labour and the Conservatives.

This is better IMO than a majority Corbyn government based on his 2017 manifesto.