CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   The Politics Forum (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Tory Party (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=279419)

bubbs11 29-09-2019 09:15 AM

The Tory conference has just got underway

https://s0.gifyu.com/images/BFA6C0B7...B8C6855A75.gif

the drexciyan 29-09-2019 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 14930199)
The Tory conference has just got underway

https://s0.gifyu.com/images/BFA6C0B7...B8C6855A75.gif

Isn’t that Ian Duncan Smith leading the applause there?

bubbs11 29-09-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the drexciyan (Post 14930354)
Isn’t that Ian Duncan Smith leading the applause there?

Yes. :). Rolling someone’s severed head on his right shoulder with Hennessey’s hand just behind telling the photographer to hurry up.

SKATE 29-09-2019 12:23 PM

Looks like the tories have discovered, not a magic money tree but an overflowing well of the stuff to pay for their spending promises

"It is new money. It is bright, shiny, new money coming out of the Treasury in a great geyser." says Johnson.

Shame it remained hidden for the last 10 years

Sodermalm 29-09-2019 12:53 PM

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9125221.html

Protesters hung a sign reading '130,000 killed under Tory rule, time to level the playing field' on a bridge

Sodermalm 29-09-2019 12:57 PM

As Johnson refuses to accept/admit how disgraceful and dangerous his recent language has been, I think it's fair enough if threats are made against him, his close colleagues and family.

dave_who_ru 29-09-2019 03:13 PM

'Get Brexit Done and 'We are Leaving on 31st October' being repeated every 10 minutes although I'm not convinced by the audience response that they are all nailed on Brexiteers.

Wolfnipplechips 29-09-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave_who_ru (Post 14930633)
'Get Brexit Done and 'We are Leaving on 31st October' being repeated every 10 minutes although I'm not convinced by the audience response that they are all nailed on Brexiteers.

Get Brexit done....

And then spend the next fifteen years actually organising it.

chateauferret 29-09-2019 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sodermalm (Post 14930506)
As Johnson refuses to accept/admit how disgraceful and dangerous his recent language has been, I think it's fair enough if threats are made against him, his close colleagues and family.

I don't think Boris gives a f*** about anyone except himself.

Oisin 29-09-2019 05:48 PM

I'm not convinced the entire Tory Party is behind Johnson. A third of the members didn't vote for him anyway and acting like a dick to impress Brexit party voters will cause a worry for many traditional Tories who value things like the rule of law and not lying to the Queen. The longer he is forced to wait for an election and the more extreme he becomes the more they’ll think “I can’t be bothered to canvass for him”.

chateauferret 30-09-2019 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKATE (Post 14930452)
Looks like the tories have discovered, not a magic money tree but an overflowing well of the stuff to pay for their spending promises

"It is new money. It is bright, shiny, new money coming out of the Treasury in a great geyser." says Johnson.

Shame it remained hidden for the last 10 years

I think he means not "money" but "debt". And I thought we had enough of that. In any case his lips moved so it's not true.

Maz 30-09-2019 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oisin (Post 14930818)
I'm not convinced the entire Tory Party is behind Johnson. A third of the members didn't vote for him anyway and acting like a dick to impress Brexit party voters will cause a worry for many traditional Tories who value things like the rule of law and not lying to the Queen. The longer he is forced to wait for an election and the more extreme he becomes the more they’ll think “I can’t be bothered to canvass for him”.

I would love to think you are right. But polls (fwiw) aren't supporting that view at present.

SA Eagle 30-09-2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sodermalm (Post 14930506)

No it's not; but it is evidence of how dangerous his devisive and inflammatory rhetoric is. People use his rhetoric to justify upping the ante and in turn he uses theirs to justify his. Where does it end?

ExiledStirling 30-09-2019 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oisin (Post 14930818)

Unfortunately tribalism will triumph over ethics

eagleborn 30-09-2019 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 14931239)
I would love to think you are right. But polls (fwiw) aren't supporting that view at present.

There's a poll for everything these days though and you can find a poll to support pretty much any viewpoint, much like statistics. Are any of them actually reliable? (Genuine question that).

GreatGonzo 30-09-2019 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagleborn (Post 14931255)
There's a poll for everything these days though and you can find a poll to support pretty much any viewpoint, much like statistics. Are any of them actually reliable? (Genuine question that).

There has not been a poll since early July that has another party in the lead. The closest was a ComRes poll last week with a tie but they always had the narrowest leads.

The polls conducted since the Supreme Court decision have shown only marginal losses and not the swing many thought might happen.

You say you can find a poll to support pretty much any viewpoint, so can you find a relatively recent national poll to suggest anything other than a Tory win and most likely a hung Parliament?

meee 30-09-2019 08:52 AM

So it's not okay to hang a banner from a bridge but it is okay to be responsible for the deaths of 130000 people?

Okay.

SA Eagle 30-09-2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meee (Post 14931269)
So it's not okay to hang a banner from a bridge but it is okay to be responsible for the deaths of 130000 people?

Okay.

The problem is that the hanging effigies make the words seem far more sinister

Baffled Bob 2 30-09-2019 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meee (Post 14931269)

Okay.

Can you really not see the problem? Will it really make potential Labour voters think:

"Yes. I want to throw my lot in with these people. They're definitely on the same page as me"

We say it's time to dial down on the nasty rhetoric and you give it this support.

SKATE 30-09-2019 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baffled Bob 2 (Post 14931317)
Can you really not see the problem? Will it really make potential Labour voters think:

"Yes. I want to throw my lot in with these people. They're definitely on the same page as me"

We say it's time to dial down on the nasty rhetoric and you give it this support.

I thought the banner was referring to levelling the economic playing field. I guess it's all about interpretation. Ok I see I completely missed the effigies. My bad.