CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Which high street retailer will be the next to go down the toilet? (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=178883)

Scroatey 18-12-2008 11:47 AM

I can't bothered to quote individual responses but from info I've had recently:

Currys Digital and associated group are international and sales on the continent aren't dropping in the same way as here. Pretty safe.

Zavvi have sourced stocks for stores and should ride out the Christmas period alright, they've diversified away from music and I think over 50% of their income is generated from gaming related sales now. Once Woolworths is properly gone they could even increase their market share. Hopefully safe - an HMV high street monopoly wouldn't be good.

I look forward to being quoted in the New Year when both these businesses go tits up :D

paf 18-12-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolinkins
But why not Amazon?

I dont know, perhaps it's that Amazon often quote third party sellers, so it could cause confusion. If an individual had an unwated gift they sold as new, way below cost, you could end up with some idiot in store trying to price match.

macstar 18-12-2008 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrenalin john

WH Smith travel division (airports and railway stations) is though highly profitable.

...because of pricefixing!.. they have contracts with network rail saying that no-one else on the station can sell mineral water, other soft drinks, snacks and stationary and books less then them../.

wa'kers.

kolinkins 18-12-2008 11:51 AM

Isnt that illegal?

Adlerhorst 18-12-2008 11:52 AM

Quote:

Isnt that illegal?

Almost certainly not.

kolinkins 18-12-2008 11:55 AM

Didnt the supermarkets get done for dairy price-fixing?

stevek 18-12-2008 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickyB
BHS - Phillip Green, Surely not?

Allders?

I went to an evening with kind of thing with Stuart Rose recently - he thought M&S would, like everyone, suffer in the downturn but was very optimistic about their overall position.

Psychokiller 18-12-2008 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevek
Allders?

I went to an evening with kind of thing with Stuart Rose recently - he thought M&S would, like everyone, suffer in the downturn but was very optimistic about their overall position.

Allders went tits up in 2004 and I think it's now owned by Jaegar. Croydon is the only one left.

stevek 18-12-2008 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psychokiller
Allders went tits up in 2004 (a bonus being that they took the wanker I was working for at the time for about 30k) and I think it's now owned by Jaegar. Croydon is the only one left.

Yes, I know that about Allders (one of my best friends was made redundant when they went bust) - I was simply using them to show that an association with Philip Green doesn't guarantee a retailer's survival.

kitticat 18-12-2008 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psychokiller
Allders went tits up in 2004 (a bonus being that they took the wanker I was working for at the time for about 30k) and I think it's now owned by Jaegar. Croydon is the only one left.

When the Sutton one went everyone went mad, I got some fantastic clothes in there, I still like shopping around the Croydon one, though they never have sorted the heating problem out in there.

Adlerhorst 18-12-2008 12:22 PM

Quote:

Didnt the supermarkets get done for dairy price-fixing?

No idea, but i suspect this is more of an exclusivity contract type thing.

kolinkins 18-12-2008 12:24 PM

I understand the exclusivity - I do not understand why shops selling the same stuff cannot sell at whatever price they want?

Santos-er 18-12-2008 12:31 PM

I would imagine any retailer who relies on the far east for stock is going to have a bad year.

Jessops are being bankrolled by Canon and Sony. If that stops, they'll be toast.

hilairehair 18-12-2008 12:50 PM

I would have thought Pinnacle going bust will mean huge problems for one of the music high street shops - Zavvi would be the favourite.

jookbeard 18-12-2008 01:16 PM

Whatever happened to Freeman Hardy Willis
John Menzies
Barrett's
Mr Byrite? BHS under Greens leadership have been in a healthy state for some time now

Il Padrino 18-12-2008 01:17 PM

Toymaster

jookbeard 18-12-2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macstar
...because of pricefixing!.. they have contracts with network rail saying that no-one else on the station can sell mineral water, other soft drinks, snacks and stationary and books less then them../.

wa'kers.

never knew that

macstar 18-12-2008 01:28 PM

john menzies merged with whsmith, thus whs getting loads of train station sites.

Adlerhorst 18-12-2008 01:33 PM

Quote:

I understand the exclusivity - I do not understand why shops selling the same stuff cannot sell at whatever price they want?

From what point of view don't you understand it. Legally or economically.

kolinkins 18-12-2008 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst
From what point of view don't you understand it. Legally or economically.

Morally