CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Which high street retailer will be the next to go down the toilet? (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=178883)

Beatleboy 19-12-2008 11:56 PM

Zavvi's was mentioned to me today, which backs up what others have said on here.

Asagaya_Eagle 20-12-2008 12:28 AM

Bloody hell - MFI just gone belly up

Lizzy 20-12-2008 12:29 AM

I hope Next go under but only during their sale.

Next sale is pure unadulterated hell

Jim Cannon 20-12-2008 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asagaya_Eagle
Bloody hell - MFI just gone belly up

That's at least twice they've gone bust now. Expect them to reopen again after the recession

Adlerhorst 20-12-2008 12:39 AM

They were already in administration so it cannot be seen as being that unexpected

Asagaya_Eagle 20-12-2008 12:57 AM

True enough, I just saw it on the BBC website though so thought I would post. It also says Laura Ashley are finding things 'tough' at the moment.

Lizzy 20-12-2008 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asagaya_Eagle
True enough, I just saw it on the BBC website though so thought I would post. It also says Laura Ashley are finding things 'tough' at the moment.

God I am not surprised. Who the hell actually shops in Laura Ashley?

stevek 20-12-2008 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizzy

People who live in the late 1980s.

Oddjob 20-12-2008 09:16 AM

Sooner or later we will be able to buy everything in Tesco, life will be so easy.

monkoid 20-12-2008 09:20 AM

I head up Menswear and childrenswear for a large high street retailer. It is very tough out there at the moment....

Last weekend to give you an idea the footfall ( number of people shopping on the high street ) was down 13% on last year. Add to that that even those out are spending less and its very worrying for retailers.

I'm sure many boardrooms like me a re praying for a huge day today and that people have just left it late this year.

Oddjob 20-12-2008 09:21 AM

Pasta Hut didn't last very long I note.

Adlerhorst 20-12-2008 09:23 AM

High street retailer going next - the open air ice cream parlour opened in Villiers Street in October. I mean WTF? The bit I love is that they genuinely look surprised when people walk past and don't go in

Asagaya_Eagle 20-12-2008 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizzy

Not many people by the looks of it.

Also the Times says that Monsoon are asking for 'help' from their suppliers.

Ben H 20-12-2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psychokiller
My money's on either WHSmith or BHS, mainly because both have dated formats and sell a load of crap. I think Robert Dyas could also follow soon. Whereas shops like Poundland are likely to thrive.

Who do you think is likely to follow Woolies?

BHS is owned by Philip Green so no chance. It does quite well too - as does Smiths.

My money would be on a furniture retailer such as Land of Leather or electrical goods related such as Curries (maybe not this Christmas but 2009 will be a big struggle for them).

Zavvi are going down the toilet.

Department stores will struggle as will their concession businesses.

west country boy 20-12-2008 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkoid
I head up Menswear and childrenswear for a large high street retailer. It is very tough out there at the moment....

Last weekend to give you an idea the footfall ( number of people shopping on the high street ) was down 13% on last year. Add to that that even those out are spending less and its very worrying for retailers.

I'm sure many boardrooms like me a re praying for a huge day today and that people have just left it late this year.

I went through Oxford Street yesterday around 4:30 - it wasn't busy at all (but still a horrific experience as usual). Hope things are better for you today.

Ben H 20-12-2008 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palace Kebab
Another one impacted by the Baugur crisis. They have a 13% share in Debenhams which they need to unwind. the share price is alread down 60% YoY

It's got bugger all to do with Baugur.

Ben H 20-12-2008 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jookbeard
Whatever happened to Freeman Hardy Willis
John Menzies
Barrett's
Mr Byrite? BHS under Greens leadership have been in a healthy state for some time now

Look at all the shoe shops that have gone recently - Dolcis, Faith, Stead and Simpson. Barratts lose a lot of money but are basically a property company with small shoe business attached. Will probably be ok.

stupalace 20-12-2008 10:04 AM

Argos

Ben H 20-12-2008 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stupalace
Argos

Is this just the 'name any old retailer' thread. Outside of the big supermarket chains they are probably one of the strongest businesses in the country.

stupalace 20-12-2008 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben H
Is this just the 'name any old retailer' thread. Outside of the big supermarket chains they are probably one of the strongest businesses in the country.

nope , they use to offer a price guarantee if you got it cheaper elsewhere they would refund the difference . Its just like amazon but on the high street and dearer