CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Scotland to be first UK country to ban smacking (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=280088)

bubbs11 03-10-2019 05:34 PM

Banned?! This afternoon!?! Damn!!

I wish someone had told me yesterday, would’ve got ten years worth out in an evening on mine if I’d known. :sob:

The reality is my four year old doesn’t need the law....if I ever laid a finger on her she’d bite and scratch the feck out of me....that after Mrs Bubbs has clobbered me a few times with a rolling pin. Scottish women are not to be messed with.

andyocpfc 03-10-2019 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 14934365)
Banned?! This afternoon!?! Damn!!

I wish someone had told me yesterday, would’ve got ten years worth out in an evening on mine if I’d known. :sob:

The reality is my four year old doesn’t need the law....if I ever laid a finger on her she’d bite and scratch the feck out of me....that after Mrs Bubbs has clobbered me a few times with a rolling pin. Scottish women are not to be messed with.

All kids go through stages I think of lashing out in frustration. We’ve had biting and scratching in the last couple of years. My four year old has just started school and the current fad is kicking out when she doesn’t get her way, to which I reply with a “don’t do that, only donkey’s kick”. She now repeats it to me before I have a chance to say it now but it seems to work as she’s stopped.

Kids know how to ‘press your buttons’ but ultimately they learn from you. If you show acts of violence, they too think that it’s okay to do so (IMO anyway).

Salad_Burnet 03-10-2019 07:42 PM

Smacking children is OK if you're middle-class, in which case it's part of a loving intercourse between reluctant parent and wayward child. Working-class parents mostly do it because they enjoy it.

Timbo 03-10-2019 07:56 PM

There is a world of difference between an out of control parent thumping their child in anger compared to parents making an example by occasionally rapping the child mildly on the back of the legs or bare bottom

Timbo 03-10-2019 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salad_Burnet (Post 14934454)
Smacking children is OK if you're middle-class, in which case it's part of a loving intercourse between reluctant parent and wayward child. Working-class parents mostly do it because they enjoy it.

Interesting...….You've always come across to me as a working class kind of bloke...

CP-RJW 03-10-2019 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo (Post 14934463)
There is a world of difference between an out of control parent thumping their child in anger compared to parents making an example by occasionally rapping the child mildly on the back of the legs or bare bottom

It’s really just a normal thing in lots of places that kids accept, and dare I say parents do without really being ‘out of control’. My girlfriends from one of the less developed provinces of China, her and everyone she knew got smacked or spanked by their parents. Same for friends I have from Antigua, Chile and Nigeria.

Completely unacceptable obviously, but if we want to change this then we do need to face the reality that it’s not just a load of rogue psycho parents, it’s a culturally and socially accepted norm in many places.

cross_eyed_ed 03-10-2019 10:24 PM

Common sense should prevail. There’s no need to criminalise this.

Timbo 03-10-2019 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14934521)
It’s really just a normal thing in lots of places that kids accept, and dare I say parents do without really being ‘out of control’. My girlfriends from one of the less developed provinces of China, her and everyone she knew got smacked or spanked by their parents. Same for friends I have from Antigua, Chile and Nigeria.

Completely unacceptable obviously, but if we want to change this then we do need to face the reality that it’s not just a load of rogue psycho parents, it’s a culturally and socially accepted norm in many places.

I am saying that the odd smack on the backside may well be acceptable, whether it is a culturally and socially accepted practice or not, and certainly should not be automatically punishable in law

Timbo 03-10-2019 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cross_eyed_ed (Post 14934550)
Common sense should prevail. There’s no need to criminalise this.

Agreed, as Chateau said there are existing laws to deal with assault

Worksop Palace 04-10-2019 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo (Post 14934463)

Bare bottom ??

thefox 04-10-2019 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo (Post 14934466)
Interesting...….You've always come across to me as a working class kind of bloke...

I think you need a whoosh.

dogstar721 04-10-2019 06:45 AM

Spanking should only be lawful among consenting adults

Timbo 04-10-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefox (Post 14934591)
I think you need a whoosh.

Hah, its possible :shy:.........but Salad is not known for his sparkling wit and sarcastic repartee :)

strawberry mivi 04-10-2019 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefox (Post 14934054)
No Trainspotting 3 then.

It took me over 24 hours to get this but - YAY :supergrin: Good Skillz

Riley 04-10-2019 02:47 PM

Our pubs will never recover from a smacking ban.

thefox 04-10-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strawberry mivi (Post 14934731)
It took me over 24 hours to get this but - YAY :supergrin: Good Skillz

:D

thefox 04-10-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo (Post 14934685)
Hah, its possible :shy:.........but Salad is not known for his sparkling wit and sarcastic repartee :)

He has his moments.