CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Gary Lineker Just Now On MoTD (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=248686)

Malarkey 29-09-2020 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spindle (Post 15431744)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54328590

Crooks has "Ham-ez" in his team of the week, AGAIN. According to Crooks, Everton beat us 3-1, and "Ham-ez" provided assists for "both goals". Pretty sure that "Ham-ez" assist count for the game was "zero".

The man is a complete idiot.

I wouldn't have even known he was playing had the commentators not been talking about him the entire time.

Embarrassing stuff.

chateauferret 29-09-2020 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spindle (Post 15431744)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54328590

Crooks has "Ham-ez" in his team of the week, AGAIN. According to Crooks, Everton beat us 3-1, and "Ham-ez" provided assists for "both goals". Pretty sure that "Ham-ez" assist count for the game was "zero".

The man is a complete idiot.

We kept James pretty quiet and only lost because of an error and a preposterous penalty, but don't let yhat spoil his fun. Twat.

Skiddo 29-09-2020 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malarkey (Post 15431762)
I wouldn't have even known he was playing had the commentators not been talking about him the entire time.

Embarrassing stuff.

Ally McCoist was buried inside his arsehole for the full 90 minutes.

East-End Eagle 29-09-2020 06:48 PM

Worst pundit in world football bar none, and that is saying something.
Did a big four striker score? In he goes.
Did a big four keeper keep clean sheet? In he goes too
Did a big four....you get the gist. He actually gets paid money for this right? Our money from tv license. Mental.

Golf Boy 29-09-2020 06:50 PM

Hamas did put the through ball in that set up the opener. Perfectly weighted ball, just like Campana.

Bipe 29-09-2020 07:18 PM

I love how he is described as 'football analyst' at the top of the column.

I love how he's basically picked Bruno Fernandes for converting a penalty.

I love how he compares the potential of Leeds' new keeper to 'a young Mervyn Day 40 years ago...by 1980 Day already had over 200 appearances under his belt.

I love how he says of Trossard 'someone needs to tell him you don't score by hitting the woodwork'

EnglandEagle 29-09-2020 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golf Boy (Post 15431935)
Hamas did put the through ball in that set up the opener. Perfectly weighted ball, just like Campana.

Ridiculous and lazy punditry/analysis or whatever it is. Quality player who did what he did pretty well, but was restricted to not doing very much.

Just remember people who choose to follow these shitty big six clubs are soulless, brainless pricks who have no ability to form original thought or deal with the concepts of loss and reality. By recognising that these "experts" are not speaking to you be comforted that you are not one of them

Golf Boy 29-09-2020 07:35 PM

I remember Crooks being a pundit 25 years ago, and he was shit then.

Old Joe Paxton 29-09-2020 08:15 PM

Why do people have issues with the Spanish speaking pronunciation of ‘James’?

The little Englanders actually seem to think that ‘because we are In England innit it’s pronounced like what we say James’. Not seemingly how 400 million Spanish speakers say it globally

Insular Pratts.

Yours,
Yusuf

Golf Boy 29-09-2020 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Joe Paxton (Post 15431990)

The little Englanders actually seem to think that ‘because we are In England innit it’s pronounced like what we say James’. Not seemingly how 400 million Spanish speakers say it globally

Insular Pratts.

Yours,
Yusuf

Not that at all. They make no effort with Germanic or Nordic names. Why the difference? The recent match against Denmark a case in point.

TopKnot 29-09-2020 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golf Boy (Post 15431995)
Not that at all. They make no effort with Germanic or Nordic names. Why the difference? The recent match against Denmark a case in point.

like what?

Golf Boy 29-09-2020 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopKnot (Post 15431996)
like what?

Robert Skov for example. The correct pronounciation is Skow - it’s not difficult. One of many i might add. Although strangely in Euro 96 an effort was made to pronounce Stefan K u n t z. correctly:angel:

chateauferret 29-09-2020 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopKnot (Post 15431996)
like what?

Iceland have a player whose name is Kolbeinn Sigþórsson.

The fourth letter of the last name is a thorn and is pronounced as a voiceless th as in, well, thorn. We used to have them in English until about the fourteenth century. (Also, ó is a diphthong like in moan, and ei is like the vowel in English plain, not the one in German klein; then again, -nn is pronounced more like -dn and -ss- is long). But being idiots the pundits couldn't tell the difference between a thorn and a 'p' which they presumably think looks vaguely similar, so they go round calling him "Sick Pawson". Utterly ignorant and rude. And that's before we even get to the point that it isn't a surname but a patronymic, which is well beyond them, of course.

Similar antics when a German player has an ß in his name, like Großkreutz. It's a hard 's' but I've heard at least two commentators pronounce it like a "b" for the same reasons as above. Sometimes the players helpfully transcribe their names with a -ss- and in some cases recent spelling reforms have done away with this letter, but it hasn't been abolished. (I haven't yet heard anyone do that to Groß, which is just as well, because "grob" is German for 'coarse').

Once upon a time the BBC used to pride itself on getting this sort of stuff right. Now at least in the sports department you would suppose they don't give a toss.

Adlerhorst 29-09-2020 09:45 PM

Quote:

For his whole career Jan Molby’s name was pronounced incorrectly.

But by the end when it turned out he spoke scouse I imagine even he got it wrong.

Martin H 29-09-2020 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golf Boy (Post 15431935)

I thought that was all a bit exaggerated. Coleman made the run in full view and he would need to have been blind not to have seen him and to me it was a fairly simple pass that he didn’t screw up not some sort of genius ball through a crowd. It was good but if Macca had done it people would be yawning and saying he is workmanlike. I thought Coleman was the star of that move. He saw it, made the run, held off Tyrick and then threaded it through the tiniest gap to Calvert-Lewis.

I just think media are falling over themselves to praise him right now. It’s good that he’s here, he has quality for sure and will show us that over the season himself. He doesn’t need commentators to big him up for the run of the mill stuff.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 29-09-2020 11:14 PM

Quote:

It's a strange one because commentators starting making an effort to pronounce foreign players names correctly, as they are pronounced in their own countries in the 90s didn't they? David Ginola was one I remember we was one of the early examples and maybe a bit later came Henry.

But they never seemed to make anywhere near the same effort with club/ place names.

Palaceguard 30-09-2020 12:28 AM

I'm from the Paul Merson school of pronunciation. No discrimination. Offend everyone or no one, or better try to avoid saying any ones names

Hedgehog 30-09-2020 12:55 AM

Quote:

Insular Pratts.

Yours,
Yusuf

I must admit, I kept wondering who this Hemis person was. And where does Rodriguez fit in to it all?

DANGERMOUSE 30-09-2020 06:19 AM

What gets me is not so much attempting the correct pronunciation, but the comedy foreign accent that often goes with it. So they say French names whilst sounding like Rene from 'Allo 'Allo!, Italian names like a karaoke 'Shaddap You Face', and so on.

Ian J 30-09-2020 06:21 AM

Quote:

Yet the same people who complain about the Spanish pronunciation of a Spanish name will happily refer to a French team as Parry Sanjerman