CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Gary Lineker Just Now On MoTD (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=248686)

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 30-09-2020 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st albans (Post 15432963)
so how did people pronounce Thierry Henry?

Terr-ee Hen-ree

CT_Palace 30-09-2020 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spindle (Post 15432774)
They don't do it for cultural intelligence, they do it because they think it makes them sound knowledgeable in the world of football. It's the same with "Hey-soos", who is, funnily enough "Jesus". So, have the vicars got this wrong too? Are they being "insular prats"? And something else, I'm pretty sure the Spanish refer to our capital "London", as "Londres", so instead of saying "Lhandhan" they say "Hghlon-drezz". Those 400 million little Spain insular prats.

What tosh. they pronounce it (or make an effort at pronouncing it) the same way he does... that's all. It's only polite to do so if you ask me.
If you came to S. America would you rather be known as Spindlay or Spindul? (the "u" is really a schwa - ə - sound) Because the "natural" Spanish pronunciation (virtually 100% phonetic) means the "e" on the end of Spindle needs to be pronounced. It's not really a SpindlAY as in hay but more of a phonetic short "E" as in met.

Slimbloke'H' 30-09-2020 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PALACEWU (Post 15433000)
Tea-airy on-rea

Only if they're Geordie.

Golf Boy 30-09-2020 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st albans (Post 15432959)
it's actually Jay-soos, like Jo-sey Mourinho

I thought it was hay zeus.

Nth Kent Eagle 30-09-2020 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Aguila (Post 15432255)
I like that, a lot. At least they're trying, and it provides some harmless amusement. It's great fun over here, when they try to say "Hodgson", or "Selhurst Park".

I do like the way in Spain they translate Anglo names into their Spanish equivalent in the press. (The queen is Isabella and Prince Harry is Enrique).

Old Joe Paxton 30-09-2020 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chateauferret (Post 15432547)
I pronounce it "WIlf".

Ah, I see you pronounce it with a capital I. Interesting, very moderne...

Old Joe Paxton 30-09-2020 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st albans (Post 15432959)
it's actually Jay-soos, like Jo-sey Mourinho

Er no. The Portuguese prounounce their Js, Spanish as an H sound so it is Hay-soos.

More importantly, if Jesus was Jewish, how come he had a Mexican name?

[No 3,536 h a line of 5,000 bad jokes. Ithankyou]

Lords Eagle 01-10-2020 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 15433013)
Terr-ee Hen-ree

Tee airy on ree

st albans 01-10-2020 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golf Boy (Post 15433123)
I thought it was hay zeus.

Hes Brazilian so in Portuguese its jay Zeus. In Spanish its hay Zeus. But hes not Spanish

st albans 01-10-2020 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Joe Paxton (Post 15433675)
Er no. The Portuguese prounounce their Js, Spanish as an H sound so it is Hay-soos.

More importantly, if Jesus was Jewish, how come he had a Mexican name?

[No 3,536 h a line of 5,000 bad jokes. Ithankyou]

Err, yes. Jesus is Brazilian!

chateauferret 01-10-2020 08:33 AM

This is from Wikipedia concerning the etymology of the name as it refers to Christ:

"The English name Jesus is derived from the Latin Iesus, a transliteration of the Greek Ἰησοῦς (Iēsos).[53] The Greek form is a rendering of the Hebrew ישוע‎ (Yeshua), a variant of the earlier name יהושע‎ (Yehoshua), or in English, "Joshua",[54][55][56][57] meaning "Yah saves".[58][59] This was also the name of Moses' successor[60] and of a Jewish high priest in the Old Testament.[61]"

So the initial sound seemingly has always been a y-glide, not a vowel like "ee" as suggested by the Greek spelling, nor a "dzh" sound as suggested by the modern English spelling, which has clearly come about because the Latin "I" was frequently written and printed as a "J" and led to Anglicised pronunciation. Presumably the same is true of Portuguese and (for its own pronunciation) Spanish.

Spindle 01-10-2020 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st albans (Post 15432959)
it's actually Jay-soos, like Jo-sey Mourinho

So you mean to tell us that those commentators have been doing comedy accents with gross insensitivity for a couple of years? RACISTS!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/dc/f2...ebdb2c9713.jpg

Spindle 01-10-2020 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_Palace (Post 15433050)
What tosh. they pronounce it (or make an effort at pronouncing it) the same way he does... that's all. It's only polite to do so if you ask me.
If you came to S. America would you rather be known as Spindlay or Spindul? (the "u" is really a schwa - ə - sound) Because the "natural" Spanish pronunciation (virtually 100% phonetic) means the "e" on the end of Spindle needs to be pronounced. It's not really a SpindlAY as in hay but more of a phonetic short "E" as in met.

Sure, but there's no such word in Spanish, but we have a James and a Jesus in our language. Since these are old Hebrew names then surely we should all be using that pronunciation globally? How do the Jews say these names?

James in hebrew is ג'יימס
Jesus is יֵשׁוּעַ

I'll see if I can get a recording of these from one of my Isreali pals. I think it important that we are cultrally sensitive and don't have 400 million hispanics wandering around insulting the Lord.


Btw, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_(name) Doesn't mention spanish, this spelling is English. Who knows, maybe Rodriguez himself keeps having to tell the locals "no, it's James with a J" and they get it wrong. Imagine if we just pronounced all those with Irish names phonetically, because they are english people, such as Siobhan not "Shuv-on" and Niamh not "Neev".

Adlerhorst 01-10-2020 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spindle (Post 15433844)
Imagine if we just pronounced all those with Irish names phonetically, because they are english people, such as Siobhan not "Shuv-on" and Niamh not "Neev".

everyone with an Irish name is an English person?

I can see this going well ;)

chateauferret 01-10-2020 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spindle (Post 15433844)

Btw, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_(name) Doesn't mention spanish, this spelling is English. Who knows, maybe Rodriguez himself keeps having to tell the locals "no, it's James with a J" and they get it wrong. Imagine if we just pronounced all those with Irish names phonetically, because they are english people, such as Siobhan not "Shuv-on" and Niamh not "Neev".

James is derived from Iacobus (Latin) by a roundabout route and the Spanish cognate is Iago (as in Santiago, "St James'").

Spindle 01-10-2020 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 15433854)
everyone with an Irish name is an English person?

I can see this going well ;)

lol not quite what I meant. My niece is named Aoife and we call her "Eefa", but if I followed the logic of our Iberian and Latin American resident friends I should be just calling her "Ay-oy-fee"

Spindle 01-10-2020 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chateauferret (Post 15433874)
James is derived from Iacobus (Latin) by a roundabout route and the Spanish cognate is Iago (as in Santiago, "St James'").

Lovely. So it is James in Britain only and therefore "Ham-ez" is a Spanish speaking insensitive ignorant bastardisation.

moosey 01-10-2020 03:19 PM

One for the teenagers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeJYCDgvbeE

dmf73 03-10-2020 10:00 PM

Even Ian Wright made mention of Roy's subs on MOTD.

Disappointed that two defensive came on when we had Benteke and Meyer.

Rightly said we can attack teams an beat them so why don't we.

Terrace Bickle 03-10-2020 10:04 PM

Absolutely diabolical dive from Abraham never even got a mention. Football really is a game for pussies these days.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.