CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Sit down protest in the Arthur Waite. (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271656)

Danny_Cheviot 20-08-2017 07:58 AM

Sit down protest in the Arthur Waite.

Does anyone remember a sit down protest in the Arthur Waite around the early to mid 80s?

There were rumours of a merger with QPR so my mate and I joined the crowd and sat down for about 20 mins after the game.

But then we had to leave as our Mums would be wondering where we were.

Thought we made our point. :p

in-exile 20-08-2017 08:00 AM

cpfc4evandeva 20-08-2017 08:12 AM

Wasn't the merger meant to be with Wimbledon and Charlton?

thefox 20-08-2017 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva (Post 13789519)
Wasn't the merger meant to be with Wimbledon and Charlton?

Wasn't there numerous rumours of mergers during the eighties ?

bubbs11 20-08-2017 08:43 AM

There's been a sit down protest in the Arthur Wait since 1991.

Okay not funny.

Yes, I remember this protest but couldn't place the year. Blackburn comes to mind for some reason. Think it was over rumours of a South London merger with Charlton and Wimbledon. We were even given a vote on the matter if I remember rightly.

Harry Holmesdale 20-08-2017 08:48 AM

No Dons
No Rons
No Cons

SE25 exile 20-08-2017 08:51 AM

Wrong forum

wedgetail 20-08-2017 09:15 AM

The proposed QPR merger was with Wimbledon, Hammam was trying some weird ideas to get shot of the Wombles.

Thanet Eagle 23-08-2017 03:47 PM

The protest clearly worked !

bestperch 23-08-2017 07:18 PM

Wasn't that the time that Noadseys' Bentley got a bit of a kicking ?

old git 23-08-2017 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 13789575)
There's been a sit down protest in the Arthur Wait since 1991.

Okay not funny.

Yes, I remember this protest but couldn't place the year. Blackburn comes to mind for some reason. Think it was over rumours of a South London merger with Charlton and Wimbledon. We were even given a vote on the matter if I remember rightly.

Pretty sure it was a match against Blackburn.Could have been around 1985.

El Aguila 23-08-2017 07:40 PM

I remember. We were in the Whitehorse. We invaded the pitch after the game. Clearly, we won.

El Aguila 23-08-2017 07:41 PM

yes, 1985.

Jim Cannon 23-08-2017 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 13789575)
Think it was over rumours of a South London merger with Charlton and Wimbledon.

Just Wimbledon, not the Clowns as well

Zohar's Penalty 23-08-2017 07:50 PM

This is mentioned on the centenary DVD, no?

Trainspotter 23-08-2017 08:05 PM

Was 1987 not 1985 around Feb, think we won 2-0

El Aguila 23-08-2017 08:22 PM

It was 1985, I found out about the fiendish scheme on the boat back from the mainland, i can date it precisely.

ElwissAtMemphis 23-08-2017 09:27 PM

Saturday 28th February 1987. Palace 2-0 Blackburn (Wright, Irvine).

It was the season in which we were in realistic contention to qualify for the inaugural play-offs until the final fixture and, if you believed Noades' bluster (I didn't), our very future was being decided that afternoon via a few sheepish volunteers with clipboards. The apparently sincere suggestion that the new club would go by the name of "Crystal Palace & Wimbledon FC" OR ... "Wimbledon & Crystal Palace FC" said it all.

The day's attendance was 5,891. Never one to miss out an opportunity to make a buck, Ron had deemed that you had to turn up for the match to get a vote unless you'd filled in some exemption forms in triplicate. This policy reached its natural conclusion with the generous offer of signing up for Lifeline getting you to the front of the queue for Cup Final tickets.

Unbelievably, nobody seemed to be particularly enthused and the official result came in at about 90% in favour of "Piss Off". I suspect that that was a tactical underestimate in the same way that Mugabe, Hussein, Assad & the various Kims rarely claim to get more than 98% of the vote when they stand unopposed in their elections.

With the benefit of hindsight, it was probably just another chapter in the half-hearted long-term project between Noades & Sam Hammam to engulf Wimbledon into the less than mightly folds of CPFC for some reason. Grim times, yes but just 2 and a half years later we were beating Blackburn in the Play-Off final in front of 30,000.

And today ... it all seems a wee bit silly looking back. In fact Ron's pipedreams of a South London superclub look a hell of a lot worse than silly. Ill-conceived, futile, pointless, delusional etc etc

redandblue 23-08-2017 09:34 PM

I was in the advertiser holding a misspelt banner that Kevin Jones RIP had painted and I remember all through the game singing "you can stick your """Ingle merger up your arse"

Kylie_Tracey 23-08-2017 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis (Post 13796926)
Saturday 28th February 1987. Palace 2-0 Blackburn (Wright, Irvine).

It was the season in which we were in realistic contention to qualify for the inaugural play-offs until the final fixture and, if you believed Noades' bluster (I didn't), our very future was being decided that afternoon via a few sheepish volunteers with clipboards. The apparently sincere suggestion that the new club would go by the name of "Crystal Palace & Wimbledon FC" OR ... "Wimbledon & Crystal Palace FC" said it all.

The day's attendance was 5,891. Never one to miss out an opportunity to make a buck, Ron had deemed that you had to turn up for the match to get a vote unless you'd filled in some exemption forms in triplicate. This policy reached its natural conclusion with the generous offer of signing up for Lifeline getting you to the front of the queue for Cup Final tickets.

Unbelievably, nobody seemed to be particularly enthused and the official result came in at about 90% in favour of "Piss Off". I suspect that that was a tactical underestimate in the same way that Mugabe, Hussein, Assad & the various Kims rarely claim to get more than 98% of the vote when they stand unopposed in their elections.

With the benefit of hindsight, it was probably just another chapter in the half-hearted long-term project between Noades & Sam Hammam to engulf Wimbledon into the less than mightly folds of CPFC for some reason. Grim times, yes but just 2 and a half years later we were beating Blackburn in the Play-Off final in front of 30,000.

And today ... it all seems a wee bit silly looking back. In fact Ron's pipedreams of a South London superclub look a hell of a lot worse than silly. Ill-conceived, futile, pointless, delusional etc etc

he's sell his old mum for a pound note wouldn't he? oh I forgot !!