CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

Sir.S.C Remembered 17-08-2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Holmesdale (Post 13782243)
Booing passes to the keeper is so British its nuts. Keep the ball is what its all about.

Pathetic to boo like that.

This is why the national team is so poor.

Pathetic to boo, but bore off regarding the national team comment. Dutch national team are hardly good.

Jose plays 'English' style football. In fact he plays Big Sam style football and he wins trophies at the highest level. The idea that foreign football is somehow superior is nonsense. Our youth teams showed that this summer too.

Possession for possession sake in irrelevant areas is pointless. There is a balance to be struck and he was not under pressure from the striker on many occasions.

I'd personally just question what Palace fans who showed frustration expected. If any of them had done their research on FDB's style, his idol's style (LVG) and his style at Ajax then they would have accepted that. They just assumed as he's foreign and likes passing that this equated to attacking passing football. It is possession football but not particularly exciting high tempo or direct stuff. You can't be expected about his appointment then moan about those things. Like being excited about Jose but then complaining when he puts Fellaini upfront.

CP-RJW 17-08-2017 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddieskyclad (Post 13783575)
Think the difficulty with the backpasses were the fans were thinking counterattack.

Because that would work against Huddersfield at home.

Neckinger Eagle 17-08-2017 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Holmesdale (Post 13782243)
Booing passes to the keeper is so British its nuts. Keep the ball is what its all about.

Actually, this is not true. It isn't about keeping the ball at all. It's about not losing the ball before you have done something effective with it.

It's not about possession, it's about preventing turnover.

There was always some truth behind Charles Hughes and his 'few passes the better philosophy'. It just got interpreted as 'long ball'. Most goals are scored from moves of very few passes. That's because the opposition have been turned over near their goal.

So ponging about around our own penalty box when pressing is the in thing is just asking for trouble in my opinion.

Equally, the higher the number of passes the more likely an individual move results in a goal. I ask you though, do we look like a team capable of emulating Barcelona?

Regarding the booing, I think it is poor form to boo any Palace player but Jairo is De Boer's tool and how else can the crowd display their displeasure at his failure to manage the game?

WorthingEagle 17-08-2017 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 13783873)
Because that would work against Huddersfield at home.

Well it's got more of a chance against a team who were actively pressing high and snapping into tackles than the ball being at Hennessey's feet. How many times in our history do you think Palace have passed the ball all the way up the pitch from Goalkeeper to Striker and scored?

Tomo 17-08-2017 03:51 PM

If we were going back to the keeper, then starting again, I’d be more happy. But ultimately, we were going nowhere with the ball, and eventually it would be booted out for a goalkick.

It’s more to do with what the rest of the team are doing in front. There were times when we looked OK doing it, but was few and far in between.

jaspercpfc 19-08-2017 01:05 PM

dropped or injured? not even named on the bench for todays game.

jaspercpfc 19-08-2017 01:18 PM

Injured

Frank de Boer: I have had to make 2 changes due to injury. We need to learn lessons from last week and be focussed on all areas of our game.

wrightchipvcfc 19-08-2017 01:19 PM

If he ain't injured taking him out of the firing line longterm might be a good move he had a nightmare last week but won't be first palace player to have not great start but go on to be good players for the club.Premier league prob faster and more physical then anything his used to playing in take time to get use to it

Yoda 19-08-2017 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaspercpfc (Post 13787657)
Injured

Frank de Boer: I have had to make 2 changes due to injury. We need to learn lessons from last week and be focussed on all areas of our game.

Possibly FdB didn't want to be specific and wanted to give Jairo a bit more time to adjust? Easier to be a bit vague about an injury for now.

Personally I thought fans were frustrated with him not simply because of the back passing, because obviously back passing is sometimes the right thing to do. I think it was because he'd become so predictable that the Huddersfield player knew what he was doing and was able to press up on him every time.

He'd receive it from Wayne and take so long to move it forward that backwards became his only option. And then next time he and Wayne would repeat this again.

So, Jairo needs to pass sooner, think more quickly and have more options (not all of this is entirely his fault...the midfield needed to offer him more, which Cabaye will).

He's not the first young player to need time to adjust to the speed of the Prem.

gadford4th 19-08-2017 02:59 PM

Or, he's injured.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 21-08-2017 11:21 AM

FDB said he had 'growing pains'? Sounds a bit strange/ unusual. Maybe it is a translation thing but I do wonder if he was taken out of the firing line after his woeful debut?

MFBias 21-08-2017 11:55 AM

I initially thought he was dropped and it was it was called an injury to cover him but when we only had Kelly on the bench it seems more likely he did pick up a knock.

Dont know why Delaney wasnt on the bench. Surely you need options if you have 3 CBs starting.

Owngoal 21-08-2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 13791364)
FDB said he had 'growing pains'? Sounds a bit strange/ unusual. Maybe it is a translation thing but I do wonder if he was taken out of the firing line after his woeful debut?

Growing pains happen and he is 20 - may be taller yet. FDB said Tuesday may be too early but Saturday a possibility. His passing record is the impressive thing about his career so far which we need.

Zulu84 21-08-2017 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owngoal (Post 13791473)
Growing pains happen and he is 20 - may be taller yet. FDB said Tuesday may be too early but Saturday a possibility. His passing record is the impressive thing about his career so far which we need.

What we need right now is a defender that gives more resistance than a wet tissue, Tomkins should be the starter for the foreseeable future

Shipp Ahoy! 21-08-2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zulu84 (Post 13791483)
What we need right now is a defender that gives more resistance than a wet tissue, Tomkins should be the starter for the foreseeable future

Based on one game.

Bravo :rolleyes:

Jim Cannon 21-08-2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 13791364)

That was my thought when he didn't feature on sat

Zulu84 21-08-2017 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shipp Ahoy! (Post 13791500)
Based on one game.

Bravo :rolleyes:

Yes, based on one game Tomkins is what we need right now. In the future as he develops through sub appearances, training and general adaption to English football/ Premier league that may change.

Mr Palace 21-08-2017 12:47 PM

I think it was a sensible move from FDB to take Riedewald out of the firing line. He can come back to the bench on Saturday and build his understanding and confidence from there. Tomkins is a very good defender and didn't deserve to lose his place anyway.

Shamone 21-08-2017 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owngoal (Post 13791473)
His passing record is the impressive thing about his career so far which we need.

My passing rate would be 100% if I rolled it back to the keeper everytime I got it too :D

Lombardo's hair 21-08-2017 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrightchipvcfc (Post 13787659)
If he ain't injured taking him out of the firing line longterm might be a good move he had a nightmare last week but won't be first palace player to have not great start but go on to be good players for the club.Premier league prob faster and more physical then anything his used to playing in take time to get use to it

TBF it's the ones that have had great debuts that end up being mediocre. Remember zGabbiadini looked very good in first game. Mind you I disn't think he did that badly for us. Dont think coppell and alan smith played to his strengths. Same for ward and Murray