CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

Yogya 08-09-2017 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glaziers fan (Post 13830467)
Back to JR, I like him. It's just he's not a centre back - he's a centre mid. (And unless he fills out and improves in the air he will never be a Premier League centre back.) Would I play him instead of Puncheon? Well, he's better in the air, better in the tackle and better passer. So, yes, definitely.

That is quiet an assessment based on one game.

Martin H 08-09-2017 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yogya (Post 13830677)

How different is it than those that have completely written him off after that same single game? Sounds about par for the course.

glaziers fan 08-09-2017 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yogya (Post 13830677)

Let's see if I'm right :angel:

beef 08-09-2017 02:30 PM

So he's our new Tom Soares?

exiledeagle 08-09-2017 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GorBlimey (Post 13830131)
Niasse would have been another Fraizer Campbell and you and people like you would have been calling him shit and the club shit for signing him.

Now you have to be content with calling the club shit because we didn't sign him.

We're not going to be turned over in the transfer market and thank god for that.

But the club wanted to sign him ( albeit leaving it too late ) . So are you saying FDB wanted to buy another Campbell ( your words )

cowlin87 08-09-2017 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 13830695)
How different is it than those that have completely written him off after that same single game? Sounds about par for the course.

A great point. There seems to be a whole load of extreme opinions. JR has talent and has the ability to do well. Whether he makes it at palace is a different matter and time will tell

GorBlimey 08-09-2017 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exiledeagle (Post 13830756)
But the club wanted to sign him ( albeit leaving it too late ) . So are you saying FDB wanted to buy another Campbell ( your words )

We don't know who wanted him.

Shipp Ahoy! 08-09-2017 09:58 PM

Just played in the Europa League final ffs!

But sure, must be an awful player after one game he turned out injured immediately after...

WorthingEagle 08-09-2017 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shipp Ahoy! (Post 13831249)
Just played in the Europa League final ffs!

But sure, must be an awful player after one game he turned out injured immediately after...

I don't think anyone's saying he's a poor player. Whether or not he's suited to the Premier League is another matter. He's going to have to toughen up both physically and mentally sharpish.

Martin H 08-09-2017 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorthingEagle (Post 13831254)
I don't think anyone's saying he's a poor player. Whether or not he's suited to the Premier League is another matter. He's going to have to toughen up both physically and mentally sharpish.

Nope, sadly several people are saying he is poor. Weird.

TBH it makes me cringe how so many say they like to see the young talent at Palace. We sign a top young prospect who at 19 played for Holland, played in a Euro Final at 20,and we write him off at Palace after 90 mins. Right.

Just to add to that, Timbo has surely been our best defender so far this season and he is typically described on here as lacking experience. Well compared to Damo and Dann that's probably true literally but I reckon he is already the better player. Let's see.

Langers 08-09-2017 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beef (Post 13830754)

Or how about the new Valerien Ismael?

Young and too inexperienced for the EPL but with potential which was fulfilled else where

Penstone Eagle 09-09-2017 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beef (Post 13830754)

Doubt he's that good.

thefox 09-09-2017 06:36 AM

One game, one game, first of the season where everybody except RLC looked utter shit in a formation that was a joke.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Martin H 09-09-2017 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penstone Eagle (Post 13831419)
Doubt he's that good.

My guess is that it is staring at the Weed's ground every night that is depressing you, or rather maybe making you so depressing? Just imagine that if you could redirect all of that negativity towards the opposition it could be so much fun.

BUNGLE 09-09-2017 09:06 AM

Probably should give him a run out in midfield to adjust to the pace without the pressure.

Ian Hart 09-09-2017 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUNGLE (Post 13831532)
Probably should give him a run out in midfield to adjust to the pace without the pressure.

I'm not sure it was a problem with the pace of the game that has caused such cynicism and - in some cases - actual aggression towards him. I think it was a combination of a couple of factors.

The first was that he kept passing the ball back to Hennessey, when the crowd wanted him to move it forward. I suspect that's just his way. He has been tutored not to lose possession, and if he saw any risk at all in a forward pass, he didn't take. The crowd got more frustrated by that, because we were losing, and they wanted us to launch attacks. If we had been in the lead, it wouldn't have caused such derision; but in any event I think his tendency to pass back would have been largely overlooked amidst such a poor team performance if it hadn't been for the second factor.

That was that he didn't even get off the ground when the player he was marking headed a goal. An error like that is the last thing you want to see in a central defender, in a country where putting crosses into the box is such a regular part of the play. Being able to outjump the forward you are marking is, understandably, seen in England as the most fundamental part of a central defenders role. I think it was that glaring failure that, more than anything else, has turned so many fans against him so quickly.

Of course, it could turn out that that is the only time it occurs with him all season, and that he proves to be a towering presence in our defence, and that he also uses all his other skills to good effect. But we will only get a chance to see what he can really do, if he is given a run as a central defender, and that he hopefully performs in such a way to bring the doubters on board. Logic tells me that you don't get to play international football at such a young age without having some real ability. Let's play him, and give him the chance to show it

glaziers fan 11-09-2017 09:59 AM

Good to see this lad back fit, and in the midfield. Left footed, mobile, can put his foot in, solid in the air for a midfielder and can pick a pass. Could he be Puncheon's long-term replacement? Think left side of midfield will suit him more than left side of the defence.

Zohar's Penalty 11-09-2017 10:56 AM

Spare a thought for him. Frank's only signing, sat in Croydon on his tod in wondering what he's doing here.

wedgetail 11-09-2017 11:01 AM

Getting paid millions of pounds a year to play football probably.

Nostrils 11-09-2017 11:02 AM

He'll get games if he applies himself. I think he will.