CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

Maidstoned Eagle 11-05-2018 09:33 AM

And some people on the Transfer Forum think we should be allowed to scout players.......

http://cardfight.wikia.com/wiki/File:4x_facepalm.png

teesdale99 11-05-2018 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebyeeckeagle (Post 14252668)
Sorry, but I don't understand that point at all.

That level of spend is pretty routine for a decent squad player these days, so not sure why that sort of fee indicates a regular starter; playing worth does that. As to value? Well, that surely is measured over the longer term. Otherwise we really are into the realm of quick fixes and instant returns. That is fine for the odd player, but we also need to be taking a chance on players developing.

We will know if this was 'value' when he either starts playing regularly or at least becoming an important squad player. Or we sell him and see what fee we get in return.

Good point. Finding players good enough to regularly start in premier league for under £10m is increasingly difficult. Highly paid directors of football like our own dougie scour the footballing globe for low cost gems but they are few and far between. The likes of vardy, bolasie and that oaf Stevens at the seaweed are exceptions but even they first broke through in the championship rather than prem. The reality is that £10-14 million buys you players like sclupp, sorloth or hugill who went to West Ham and hasn’t played (?).

It’s a struggle to think of anyone we could buy (even as a lower/mid table team) for under £10m that would be likely to oust one of our starting 11.

simonjmac 11-05-2018 09:41 AM

He is an under 21 where we no longer stress out when he is on the pitch, he is great cover in several positions and we can warch him improve over time. FDB was many things but he has a reputation for finding great youth players. This kid is decent at 21, he will be class at 25. You only have to look at how stressed out we get when certain subs go on to know how good he is.

But give the poor lad a chance, he is only a year older than Wan-Bissaka!

Palacebear 11-05-2018 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE (Post 14252681)
I suspect you are right but I would be happy to give Riedewald another season. If we do wish to play a passing style from midfield, he is technically proficient enough to develop into a DM or CM starter. He's already reasonably sound cover for both positions and it must be pointed out that he is 21. No one can say what he may become in a few years.

And I've two words for those claiming he's been proven not to have the 'stuff' after just a handful of appearances; Andy Johnson.

The idea that we should eject Riedewald is almost as bonkers as those who said we should eject McArthur exactly twelve months ago.

My sentiments as well. He is definitely the sort of player that we need to keep and develop.

We potentially have cabaye, RLC, ward, punch, chungy & TFM leaving in the summer so it would be madness to sell Jairo.

We need to give the guy a chance and hope that he does enough in training & Roy trusts/rates him enough to make some more first team appearances.

Dalianeagle 11-05-2018 10:09 AM

In the latter half of the season the first choice midfield players did extremely well. There was no reason to drop them, and doing so would have been a big risk considering that despite our big improvement, we are still only six points (two wins) above a position which might have meant relegation. I think JR can understand this and it is a valid reason why he has not been given more chances. Those chances should appear in the coming season for him and his presence gives the club a bit of a stronger hand when negotiating with the current incumbents of those starting positions, some of whom will probably move on.

I am very glad that some of our posters on this forum are limited to shouting abuse at our players from the stands and get no closer to them than that. Their man-management skills and ability to think strategically / objectively are sorely lacking. Every club has got 'em though, so I imagine the players themselves stay relatively phlegmatic about the abuse they get

Sir.S.C Remembered 11-05-2018 10:18 AM

I don't see why he can't be the Cabaye solution. Almost 22, 6ft, 3 international caps, settled in now etc.

To buy again would be blocking him with someone no likely better, let alone the next central mid AWB too.

SOUTHGATE EAGLE 11-05-2018 10:25 AM

Even if Riedewald turns out to be no more than the Martin Kelly of the midfield and be able to do a competent job at a wide variety of positions, such utility in a squad is important. Have we forgotten all the injuries of this season already? Imagine the midfield had been as badly hit as the defence. Riedewald would have been vital then.

And this assumes he doesn't develop. I refuse to write off a 21 year old capable of playing in a midfield for an injury-hit team that was a spot kick away from being the first to beat the runaway champions.

JackTheBiscuit 11-05-2018 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE (Post 14252765)
Even if Riedewald turns out to be no more than the Martin Kelly of the midfield and be able to do a competent job at a wide variety of positions, such utility in a squad is important. Have we forgotten all the injuries of this season already? Imagine the midfield had been as badly hit as the defence. Riedewald would have been vital then.

And this assumes he doesn't develop. I refuse to write off a 21 year old capable of playing in a midfield for an injury-hit team that was a spot kick away from being the first to beat the runaway champions.

Exactly it - we are never going to be at the point where we have 25 high quality established players chomping at the bit to play.

The likes of Jairo, Wickham, Kelly, Dann, Puncheon, Schlupp etc will be solid back up to what will hopefully be a very strong starting 11

917L 11-05-2018 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve hail (Post 14252694)
We don't deserve good players - well, some of us don't. And I agree about Campana.

We don't deserve good players because not everyone shares the same opinion as you about them? Bizarre

Stavros 69 11-05-2018 10:47 AM

Great squad player, needs time to adjust.
His other Ajax team mates have all gone into good things, why canít he?
Cost peanuts in the grand scheme of things and heís young.
If heís not playing a lot by Xmas maybe loan him out for a few months, but he provides us excellent cover.

cockles 11-05-2018 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Hedgehog (Post 14252588)
He cost £7.5m and is paid anywhere between £25-40k.

So, you confirm you don't know what he's paid then.

Even the figure you suggest is no way a low wage. Data leaked a couple of years ago had Joel Ward on the low end or less. Would you say JR should be paid more than Joel Ward? If so, I think it's just you and FdB.

I don't see why there should be any fuss made either way about this player. Just let the manager and coaches do their job.

El Aguila 11-05-2018 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 14252789)
Great squad player, needs time to adjust.
His other Ajax team mates have all gone into good things, why canít he?
Cost peanuts in the grand scheme of things and heís young.
If heís not playing a lot by Xmas maybe loan him out for a few months, but he provides us excellent cover.

Basically this, why on earth would we be making new problems for ourselves by letting him go?!

Stan the man 11-05-2018 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simonjmac (Post 14252704)
He is an under 21 where we no longer stress out when he is on the pitch, he is great cover in several positions and we can warch him improve over time. FDB was many things but he has a reputation for finding great youth players. This kid is decent at 21, he will be class at 25. You only have to look at how stressed out we get when certain subs go on to know how good he is.

But give the poor lad a chance, he is only a year older than Wan-Bissaka!

Agree 100%

Stan the man 11-05-2018 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockles (Post 14252793)

I don't see why there should be any fuss made either way about this player. Just let the manager and coaches do their job.

Because we're palace vans voicing our opinion on our club on an online forum. To follow your directive, what would the point of any discussion be?

TWELLSEagle 11-05-2018 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan the man (Post 14252894)
Because we're palace vans voicing our opinion on our club on an online forum. To follow your directive, what would the point of any discussion be?

Outrageous to have an opinion on a player on a website designed for people to express opinions on Crystal Palace isn’t it! Really hope Jairo stays as if he leaves I can see us regretting it

CP-RJW 11-05-2018 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWELLSEagle (Post 14253293)
Outrageous to have an opinion on a player on a website designed for people to express opinions on Crystal Palace isnít it! Really hope Jairo stays as if he lives I can see us regretting it

Well that seems a bit harsh.

Glɑzier 11-05-2018 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP-RJW (Post 14253296)
Well that seems a bit harsh.

Maybe he wants to wipe all traces of De Boer from the club :moo2:

Mr Palace 11-05-2018 07:14 PM

He's a decent player with a lot of potential who could go on to have a great career with us.

wavey 11-05-2018 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mushroom (Post 14252624)
Good player, can cover a few positions... probably needed this season to toughen up and get a little fitter (hard without games). I think he'll feature quite a lot next season.

Yeah. How often is it that a player comes in and performs their best in their first season? Jedi definitely took a season, Tomkins is coming into his own now, Bolasie was slow to start, Murray scored six in his first season, thirty in his second. PVA was largely derided in his first six months, only now 18 months on is he playing his best. I could go on.

Sakho obviously came in and did well during his loan spell and Luka got going very quickly, but it is common that players take at least a season to settle.

Harry Holmesdale 11-05-2018 07:16 PM

Cant believe people writing off a bloke who is clearly technically decent, very young and adjusting to a new country and league.

Lets get some perspective here. Wilf would be nowhere near the 1st team if he was 17-20 at this stage and definitely wouldn't be allowed to make mistakes.

The fee is peanuts today and I would argue that he looks a better prospect than Sorloth as he is technically better.