CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

Happy Arthur 30-06-2018 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16eagles (Post 14314960)
He will get more of chance next year, I like him - currently our best ball playing midfielder at present. Think him and Milivojevic will be okay but we defiantly need more. Would love Fabian Delph myself.

Too much sun?

bigend1 30-06-2018 09:04 PM

Quote:

He will get more of chance next year, I like him - currently our best ball playing midfielder at present. Think him and Milivojevic will be okay but we defiantly need more. Would love Fabian Delph myself.

:eek:

He's behind cabaye, luka and Jimmy in every aspect including passing just in cm. Let's hope we keep yohan and sign one more

Ian Hart 30-06-2018 10:26 PM

Quote:

Would love Fabian Delph myself.

Have you any idea what salary he is on at Man City?!

Leaving aside the transfer fee (which is likely to be north of 20m) even just matching his current salary would probably mean we would have to release three players just to balance the already precarious books.

16eagles 02-07-2018 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Hart (Post 14315040)

Leaving aside the transfer fee (which is likely to be north of 20m) even just matching his current salary would probably mean we would have to release three players just to balance the already precarious books.

Wrong Cabaye was earning more than Delph last season. You are right probably with fee 25 mill minimum.

LuieJack 03-07-2018 06:41 AM

This season is going to be make or break for Jairo Riedewald as far as his Palace future i feel. Since joining he would have had a proper settling in period after the turmoil on joining last season so there can be no excuses, however my main concern will be him not getting enough playing opportunities and we Must ensure he does if we are to judge him. Maybe the answer is firstly seeing how he gets on in pre season then loaning him out until the end of December to get regular playing time which he desperately needs, that will then give us an indication of his quality which i feel there is all be it hidden away, but there is real quality there and we must NOT lose a player without realising his true potential.
I really do think he has all the attributes to turn into a superb "sweeper" type defensive midfielder/defender sitting in front of a Back Four, that could then release Luka into a more free midfield role. Why are we talking about bringing in another similar type with this Turkish guy without giving JR a proper chance to state his own case.

MFBias 03-07-2018 07:18 AM

Riedewald is 21, there is plenty of time. Look how long we have kept Williams around for. One thing de Boer was right about was making the squad younger, he will develop, and other than Huddersfield I thought he performed well when called apon. He was fantastic against Man City.

costello 03-07-2018 07:42 AM

I find it very, very difficult to see what his key attributes are. Seems that his preferred positions are holding midfield / central defence / left central defence but I have yet to see the physical attributes that are required to play in these roles in England. Would love to be proved wrong BTW.

Tomo 03-07-2018 07:47 AM

I don't think his physical stature matters as much in holding midfield, when it's more about positional awareness and being able to get stuck it.

David of Kent 03-07-2018 08:30 AM

He's a very tidy passer and has been schooled well. The physical side usually improves with very young players new to England in their 2nd year so I'm hoping we see more from him this season. I think there's a good midfielder there

wedgetail 03-07-2018 08:41 AM

Riedewald is is on the trajectory to be a top DM. The comments about learning from Luka are spot on. Only a fool however would play him at CB.

GreatGonzo 03-07-2018 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigend1 (Post 14314986)
:eek:

He's behind cabaye, luka and Jimmy in every aspect including passing just in cm. Let's hope we keep yohan and sign one more

Disagree.

If you take the the key aspects of the midfield role, passing, tackling, interceptions:

Luka pays more passes than the others followed by Cabaye, Jimmy and Jairo
In terms of % completion Cabaye is top (83%), Luka second (80%) and Jairo and Jimmy tied (79%)
Successful tackles made Cabaye again top (1.68) ahead of Jairo (1.67), Jimmy (1.64) and Luka (1.48)
Interceptions Cabaye again leads the way (2.86) from Jairo (2.51), Luka (2.15) and Jimmy (1.41)

It shows just how key Cabaye is to our midfield and why keeping him would be so beneficial but who is in the wings waiting to take over from him?

Jairo has time on his side but in terms of reading play and stepping in to win the ball, and making tackles which is where Cabaye has been so critical to us he is probably the best we have in the squad at present. He needs the confidence to get on the ball and dictate the play more as he plays the least passes based on per 90 minutes. Think there may be a decent player in there though as time goes on.

BBK 03-07-2018 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Hart (Post 14315040)

He's out of contract next season unless he's signed a new one this year? Highly doubt the fee would be that high.

Reiedwald has the potential to be good, not sure why people are so obsessed with slagging him off. He was very highly regarded at Ajax who have a pretty decent academy set up, apparently they've had some ok players come from it.

switchboard 03-07-2018 09:41 AM

If Cabaye signs up then Jairo should get a bit more game time stepping in for him when needed

bigend1 03-07-2018 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatGonzo (Post 14318293)
Disagree.

If you take the the key aspects of the midfield role, passing, tackling, interceptions:

Luka pays more passes than the others followed by Cabaye, Jimmy and Jairo
In terms of % completion Cabaye is top (83%), Luka second (80%) and Jairo and Jimmy tied (79%)
Successful tackles made Cabaye again top (1.68) ahead of Jairo (1.67), Jimmy (1.64) and Luka (1.48)
Interceptions Cabaye again leads the way (2.86) from Jairo (2.51), Luka (2.15) and Jimmy (1.41)

It shows just how key Cabaye is to our midfield and why keeping him would be so beneficial but who is in the wings waiting to take over from him?

Jairo has time on his side but in terms of reading play and stepping in to win the ball, and making tackles which is where Cabaye has been so critical to us he is probably the best we have in the squad at present. He needs the confidence to get on the ball and dictate the play more as he plays the least passes based on per 90 minutes. Think there may be a decent player in there though as time goes on.

Those statistics are still a bit unbalanced for me though

I’m not writing off Jairo at all, I think he’s got potential but some saying he’s ready to go have not got enough to justify that. Roy certainly didn’t agree either.

For me, as I said Cabaye & Luka > Jimmy > ridewald (in CM)

The stats back that when you consider the roles and games they came in..

Passing is in that order so agrees except Jimmy tied with Jairo but that’s because Jimmy was mostly attacking and on wing, crossing, playing key passes and trying to create chances where ridewald was sitting deep playing safe passes for the most part.

Tackles doesn’t match my order but again Jimmy was mostly attacking compared to ridewald. Ridewald tackling is impressive statistics but for the most part came off the bench to protect a lead. That means he’s sitting deep while teams are coming at us so obviously he’s getting more tackles. When Jimmy played the same he was excellent. Surprised at Luka but his quality isn’t being debated as we know his quality ans that just shows the flaws in statistics without context

Same applies with interceptions

For Cm Cabaye and Luka are our best pair, Jimmy excellent cover but likely playing elsewhere. Ridewald has potential but we can’t go into the season with him as a starter. Given Roy’s reluctantly to use him at the end of last season I doubt he’ll be considered first back up either. I think we want Cabaye + 1 Cm or 2 if yohan leaves

red&blue_moomin 03-07-2018 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigend1 (Post 14318325)
Those statistics are still a bit unbalanced for me though

I’m not writing off Jairo at all, I think he’s got potential but some saying he’s ready to go have not got enough to justify that. Roy certainly didn’t agree either.

For me, as I said Cabaye & Luka > Jimmy > ridewald (in CM)

The stats back that when you consider the roles and games they came in..

Passing is in that order so agrees except Jimmy tied with Jairo but that’s because Jimmy was mostly attacking and on wing, crossing, playing key passes and trying to create chances where ridewald was sitting deep playing safe passes for the most part.

Tackles doesn’t match my order but again Jimmy was mostly attacking compared to ridewald. Ridewald tackling is impressive statistics but for the most part came off the bench to protect a lead. That means he’s sitting deep while teams are coming at us so obviously he’s getting more tackles. When Jimmy played the same he was excellent. Surprised at Luka but his quality isn’t being debated as we know his quality ans that just shows the flaws in statistics without context

Same applies with interceptions

For Cm Cabaye and Luka are our best pair, Jimmy excellent cover but likely playing elsewhere. Ridewald has potential but we can’t go into the season with him as a starter. Given Roy’s reluctantly to use him at the end of last season I doubt he’ll be considered first back up either. I think we want Cabaye + 1 Cm or 2 if yohan leaves

Facts are facts. Those are black and white. You've stated everything off your impresssions which have been shown to be wrong and contradicted by the actual stats and not your gut feel.

They tell you that the boy has enormous potential and looks like given some time and coaching could be a combined version of Yo and Luka.

Roy doesn't do subs at least he did'nt, not until the end of the season. You'll notice that when he did start doing them he was putting Jairo on as a DM for the last 10 or 15 minutes of matches where we were holding onto a lead. Also in matches where Luka or Yohan were missing he tried him out as a starting DM against the teams in 1st, 7th and 3rd. So no he clearly absolutely does see him as a backup, and he did bloody well in two of those matches and was average in the third.

UncleAlbert 03-07-2018 02:31 PM

He was the best player on the pitch for the city game i really like him.

Harry Holmesdale 03-07-2018 02:40 PM

If his name was Jonny Williams we would be saying build the team around him

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 03-07-2018 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleAlbert (Post 14318710)
He was the best player on the pitch for the city game i really like him.

I really didn't see him as close to the best player on the pitch. And there were some underwhelming appearances after that too. There must be a reason he wasn't even making the bench at the end of the season.

MFBias 03-07-2018 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 14318743)
I really didn't see him as close to the best player on the pitch. And there were some underwhelming appearances after that too. There must be a reason he wasn't even making the bench at the end of the season.

Im another one who thought he was the best Palace player on the pitch that day, I also didnt think he was 'underwhelming' but saw flashes of a great player Huddersfield aside.

He was on the bench 8 times out of the last 10 games getting on the pitch three times aswell so not sure your statement is true. (two games he missed were in a row so whos know if he had a knock or not)

cpfc4evandeva 03-07-2018 03:06 PM

Thankfully, I recently heard Hodgson say in interview that he thought that most stats were a load of pony.