CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

Thefunkymonk 29-07-2018 10:41 AM

Didn’t misplace a pass, apart from a silly fould he gave away at edge of box looked tidy. Think he’s a good player and will get better.

Malarkey 29-07-2018 10:46 AM

He'll obviously improve. Not sure why people are calling him a waste of money. Same as Sorloth.

Martin H 29-07-2018 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk (Post 14357402)
Didnít misplace a pass, apart from a silly fould he gave away at edge of box looked tidy. Think heís a good player and will get better.

He plays intelligently and has the discipline needed. I think Schlupp has done well in pre-season too and has had some nice moments but it's all a bit off the cuff whereas Jairo strikes me as having that football smarts that normally comes with a load of experience. Don't want to over-egg this but it's very encouraging in a youngster. He played a really nice ball in for PVA in the first half that put him in and if he peppers his game with those he will do fine.

NickinOx 29-07-2018 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malarkey (Post 14357407)
He'll obviously improve. Not sure why people are calling him a waste of money. Same as Sorloth.

I know. People call out for the club to buy young players with potential, bring through players from the academy, etc., but then complain they are not the finished article after a few appearances, or claim they are the best thing since sliced bread (AWB). Itís silly.

All the young players need time, and the best judge is Roy who sees them playing and training every day.

Tim 29-07-2018 11:08 AM

He’s a good example of why we’ve got no money to spend. We’ve frittered away way too much money on average players with little to no resale value. This guy is bang average & his weight gain is a sign of his commitment to his playing career. I’d say move him on but I can’t see who would want him so we can write off another £8 million.

gilesy14 29-07-2018 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 14357442)
He’s a good example of why we’ve got no money to spend. We’ve frittered away way too much money on average players with little to no resale value. This guy is bang average & his weight gain is a sign of his commitment to his playing career. I’d say move him on but I can’t see who would want him so we can write off another £8 million.

This is quite simply a load of bollocks. Jairo is one of the most decent bits of business we’ve done. £9mil for a 20 year old from Ajax with bags of potential is fantastic business in today’s climate. The kid has had one season to adapt to a new country, like Jedinak needed - but you’re just gonna write him off?! Class. Not exactly a Jordon Mutch is he.

& by the way, it’s been stated several times by people at the club that the weight gain is a myth. He’s just requested to wear a baggier shirt for comfort. But calling him fat probably helps back up your agenda.

Steve in Phoenix 29-07-2018 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glaziers fan (Post 14357326)
He's the back-up. He's a good passer, but McArthur is more experienced and a better player at the moment.

People just don't realise how young Riedewald is. McArthur is 10 years older and has played hundreds of games compared to Riedewald's 12. Not really a good comparison to make. Jairo is younger than the likes of Jonny Williams and Sulley Kaikai.

Owngoal 29-07-2018 11:18 AM

Quote:

Heís a good example of why weíve got no money to spend. Weíve frittered away way too much money on average players with little to no resale value. This guy is bang average & his weight gain is a sign of his commitment to his playing career. Iíd say move him on but I canít see who would want him so we can write off another £8 million.

His passing accuracy was the best in the Dutch league (could see that yesterday) and he wears an unfitted shirt that makes him look bigger than he is (amazing that he can run so much if he was overweight and Roy certainly would not have allowed that). He will one day go for a big fee as he continues to develop - Williams loses the ball cheaply just like Punch does - hence I know which of the three should be getting game time.

delboy01 29-07-2018 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owngoal (Post 14357455)
His passing accuracy was the best in the Dutch league (could see that yesterday) and he wears an unfitted shirt that makes him look bigger than he is (amazing that he can run so much if he was overweight and Roy certainly would not have allowed that). He will one day go for a big fee as he continues to develop - Williams loses the ball cheaply just like Punch does - hence I know which of the three should be getting game time.

Agree with this 100%. Not noticed the shirt thing before. He seems to improve every game.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 29-07-2018 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malarkey (Post 14357407)

I certainly wouldn't say he was a "waste" and its way too early to suggest that. But I think with the budget constraints we've had in recent windows and gaps in the squad it is very reasonable to ask if we could have spent it better.

Tim 29-07-2018 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owngoal (Post 14357455)

Sorry fellas, Iím just not seeing it. As for the weight gain, itís evident for everyone to see..

Dave Hedgehog 29-07-2018 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 14357493)
Sorry fellas, Iím just not seeing it. As for the weight gain, itís evident for everyone to see..

Are you on a wind up?

It's a fan fit shirt. This has been covered many times now. Keep up!

cockles 29-07-2018 12:26 PM

It seems likely he's going to get game time in the prem league this season, so we'll see soon enough if he's up to it. There's nothing else to say until then.

red&blue_moomin 29-07-2018 12:26 PM

red&blue_moomin 29-07-2018 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 14357493)
Sorry fellas, I’m just not seeing it. As for the weight gain, it’s evident for everyone to see..

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/siteassets/im...1-33.jpg/Large

This is from the training camp in Sweden.

FFS he's been asked on Palace TV about it and explained he doesn't like the tight fit shirts for match days. Mark Bright has explained it too.

He's played three 90 minute matches and a 45 recently. Fat FFS believe everything I see with my own eyes blah blah blah, I think you might need them checked! You've called three people at the club liars.

Percy Dalton 29-07-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Bodyweight gain is as others have said a myth but he grown muscle as you would expect from a maturing athlete

Glɑzier 29-07-2018 12:53 PM

I agree with a lot on here, if he gets a run of games I think he'll become a very solid midfielder for us. Also at risk of stagnating if he doesn't get games though... He needs a add a bit of physicality and snap to his game as well, but I do think he had the speed of thought and intelligence to make it. For heaven's sake, he showed that against man city....

exiledeagle 29-07-2018 12:54 PM

Been quite impressed with him during pre season , looks a bit leggy as game goes on but keeps possession well and makes himself available . Trouble is most on here feel we need 2 additions in midfield ( me included ) so that would in all probability mean less playing time for Jairo - not sure he would accept that .

Palace43 29-07-2018 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash (Post 14357492)
I certainly wouldn't say he was a "waste" and its way too early to suggest that. But I think with the budget constraints we've had in recent windows and gaps in the squad it is very reasonable to ask if we could have spent it better.

You realise the gap is at central midfield? The position that Riedewald actually plays?

bubbs11 29-07-2018 01:04 PM

I think within Roy’s brilliantly worked system, where everyone knows their jobs; Jiro, Johnny and even Punch will be great squad players throughout the season. Noticed in pre season, Punch is a lot less wasteful as he knows exactly what to do when he gets the ball, whereas before he almost had to make it up as he went along and make something happen, and that’s when things went wrong for him. He’s still got the skill and movement that fits well into Roy’s system in midfield.

As for Jiro; his passing and football brain for his tender age is already a very promising sign. We could well have a real player on our hands here.