CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

El Aguila 09-12-2019 01:59 PM

I can't really see Jairo as an option at left back for us. If he can improve his standing at the club while playing there, it will certainly mean he's got something worth having. But really in this team he has to be a defensive midfielder, or a centre back in a crisis.

Timbo 09-12-2019 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosey (Post 15009552)
  • Came on at the drop of a hat
  • Played in an unfamiliar position
  • Was up against a £30m winger (their club record signing)
  • Contributed to a clean-sheet as part of a make-shift defence
  • Hasn't got the dog's abuse from the BBS that PVA normally seems to get

Some of that at least suggests that he's not out of his depth, surely?

Thanks for the positive reply Moosey. The article and varying comments are also interesting, and I hope someone can find some videos showing his attributes and technical skills

switchboard 09-12-2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Aguila (Post 15009930)
I can't really see Jairo as an option at left back for us. If he can improve his standing at the club while playing there, it will certainly mean he's got something worth having. But really in this team he has to be a defensive midfielder, or a centre back in a crisis.

Who else is an option with Kelly filling in at right back?

El Aguila 09-12-2019 03:01 PM

I mean, longer term.

hdeagle 09-12-2019 03:24 PM

Roy is full of praise for Jairo and how well he stepped in on Saturday when called upon has impressed him.

On that showing he deserves a chance at first team level.

COYP

MFBias 09-12-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Aguila (Post 15009930)

Shall we start writing him off after he has started a game there?

hdeagle 09-12-2019 03:51 PM

Far too many of our fans criticise our own players.

COYP

El Aguila 09-12-2019 03:52 PM

I see no profit in breaking the habits of a lifetime.

Happy Arthur 09-12-2019 05:13 PM

Man u buy him for 50m in 12 months ; )

I love Roy but the only time we see new players is in an injury crisis.

DARZET EAGLE 09-12-2019 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Arthur (Post 15010164)
Man u buy him for 50m in 12 months ; )

I love Roy but the only time we see new players is in an injury crisis.

I guess that's the idea of a squad.

Happy Arthur 10-12-2019 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DARZET EAGLE (Post 15010663)
I guess that's the idea of a squad.

I'm not sure you just have a squad for an injury crisis..

burgess hill 84 10-12-2019 08:16 AM

I thought he did okay when he came on, nothing more nothing less, apart from that i wouldn't start him unless we really had to.

Stavros 69 10-12-2019 08:31 AM

Let’s face it, he’s a CB.
If he was mobile enough he’d be a good holding MF but he hasn’t kicked on enough to play there in this league.

mushroom 10-12-2019 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavros 69 (Post 15010814)
Letís face it, heís a CB.
If he was mobile enough heíd be a good holding MF but he hasnít kicked on enough to play there in this league.

When Mark Bright used to commentate on u23s, he pretty much said the same... he said he doesnít work hard enough without the ball to play midfield, and RH had told him that.

AJ 10-12-2019 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mushroom (Post 15010819)
When Mark Bright used to commentate on u23s, he pretty much said the same... he said he doesnít work hard enough without the ball to play midfield, and RH had told him that.

That may be true but nearly all his balls passed forward went to a Palace player. If that is his norm, then I feel the club should be finding a way to play him. PvA's distribution of the ball is appalling and time after time he loses possession by passing to the opposition.

Martin H 10-12-2019 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mushroom (Post 15010819)

Got the impression that with Luka in the DM slot he needed to get up and down the pitch more often to start, that and improve his intensity. Both he and Roy have said he is a good trainer so he's not simply lazy/bone idle. You can see he is quite a laid back character though. Having seen Billing a few times now I think there are a lot of similarities between them in playing style.

mushroom 10-12-2019 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ (Post 15010917)
That may be true but nearly all his balls passed forward went to a Palace player. If that is his norm, then I feel the club should be finding a way to play him. PvA's distribution of the ball is appalling and time after time he loses possession by passing to the opposition.

I donít think itís that simple. I think JR has a good eye for a pass... but I think at Left Back he would get exposed over a season. For me... he is rightly 3rd choice (behind PVA/Jeff). He needs to improve athletically, we arenít a possession based team, so he needs to be better suited to when we donít have the ball. Thereís a player in there...but he needs to understand what RH wants from a player

Jman 10-12-2019 04:21 PM

He doesn't have much pace, but neither do Ward or Kelly. As others have said he can do a job for now.

Johnsonpen 10-12-2019 05:54 PM

Thought he looked trimmer. Was one of the top passers in the Dutch league

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 10-12-2019 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jman (Post 15011186)
He doesn't have much pace, but neither do Ward or Kelly. As others have said he can do a job for now.

Poor in the air compared to them both. Of course its less of an issue at full back but I would rather we didn't have to use him at full back for very long. Would concern me.