CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

Reg_Maudling 05-01-2020 05:32 PM

I've seen him now twice this season look not strong enough against lower league players

Martin H 05-01-2020 05:47 PM

I thought Jairo had a good game today and so disagree with much of the above and would think he has changed Roy’s view of him. Whether that’s sufficient I don’t know. Boggle did well to get the cross in and it was a purler unfortunately. The goal is mostly down to Kelly unfortunately. Really hoping JR went off as a precaution rather than injury.

Golf Boy 05-01-2020 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 15046633)
I thought Jairo had a good game today and so disagree with much of the above and would think he has changed Royís view of him. Whether thatís sufficient I donít know. Boggle did well to get the cross in and it was a purler unfortunately. The goal is mostly down to Kelly unfortunately. Really hoping JR went off as a precaution rather than injury.

Kelly was very soft and of course Hen changes direction like a freighter at sea.

philsick 05-01-2020 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 15046633)
Really hoping JR went off as a precaution rather than injury.

Pulled his hamstring crossing the ball. Shame he's played well lately.

red&blue_moomin 05-01-2020 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reg_Maudling (Post 15046360)
Wasn't surprised derby goal came from a cross on his side

Bogle is genuinely brilliant and potentially could replace a Wilf type player up front. Also where were Kells, Gazza and Cheick in all of this... It was a cross not driven in on the deck at pace.

Given he's played three matches with an injury in a totally altered back 5 I thought he did pretty well

Martin H 05-01-2020 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philsick (Post 15046671)

Oh bollox. Gutted for him, Roy, us, FFS I had convinced myself it was likely just a precaution. Real setback and does that mean he will be out for 6-8 weeks unless itís a slight strain.

mushroom 05-01-2020 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 15047355)
Oh bollox. Gutted for him, Roy, us, FFS I had convinced myself it was likely just a precaution. Real setback and does that mean he will be out for 6-8 weeks unless itís a slight strain.

Strain will be 2-3 weeks max. If itís torn... 2 months

MENTALLY TOUGH 06-01-2020 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philsick (Post 15046671)

He has played well, defensively suspect but playing out of position at full back need to give him some leeway. Would love to see him play in that defensive midfield position that he did so well in against City the other Christmas.
He's good enough on the ball (he has picked up the perfected poor palace 1st touch though on occasions) and what a great opportunity to play him there in the next couple of games if Roy is brave enough to put in a natural left back in even if its a youngster (Especially as they are not 2 of the most physical of teams in the league, 2 of the best footballing teams mind you) but if it's hamstring then I suppose we are left to the 2 Macs in midfield with Cheik further up to get onto the big pump upfield.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 09-01-2020 07:53 PM

Back on the training pitch along with Max. Which is good news.

GB2506 10-01-2020 02:03 PM

Nice piece on him in the programme for tomorrow. I like him and think he’s a tidy player. Wouldn’t mind seeing him in midfield if Wardy is back. Jairo, Kouyate and Mcarthur as a 3. There’s obviously a player there, coming through the Ajax academy, just not been given a real chance and was made a scapegoat in De Boers 3-5–2 as he’s not a CB.

xmasape 10-01-2020 06:56 PM

Great interview on palace tv. If you had to hang out with him and Ayew you'd probably want to hang yourself.

red&blue_moomin 10-01-2020 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmasape (Post 15053029)
Great interview on palace tv. If you had to hang out with him and Ayew you'd probably want to hang yourself.

Just very understated. People slag him off because he hasn't been banging on the managers door and making a big fuss about playing.

Thing is you need players like that in your squad. Ones that can play in several positions that are willing to go on the bench but will take an opportunity if they get it.

He's essentially given away that PVA/Schlupp won't be back until late feb/march but also still knows he might not keep his place in the team if someone new comes in. Then have to go back to the bench.

Right now without Jairo and Kelly where would we be?

Martin H 10-01-2020 08:04 PM

I think we probably underestimate the challenge of moving from the Dutch League which is dominated by far younger players than over here being thrown into the deep end of the PL. The guy is even now only 23. I still like the look of him but it would be great to see him in midfield again. If he wasn't covering the LB slot that might have happened but he is doing well there.

He has got his head down and done his work on the pitch, fair play.

SussexRed&Blue 10-01-2020 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmasape (Post 15053029)

Mr Laid Back now i can see why he has so much composure on the ball!

Sleeping Giant 10-01-2020 10:10 PM

I remember the photo of him shaking hands with FDB at the time of the transfer and thinking this is the most depressed I've ever been at a so called big signing. We were a Morcambe & Wise outfit almost overnight, prior to his arrival and I felt so sorry for him. Doubt anything is his fault at all it is just that his type is never going to be the sort of player a club like us can accommodate. Seems a really sound fella I hope he can go somewhere and play regularly, he has wasted talent for a certain type of team.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash 10-01-2020 11:24 PM

The injuries have certainly given his Palace career a bit of a lifeline in recent weeks. I think he's done OK and obviously isn't playing in what appears to be his best suited position. Whether he has or will do enough to force his way in to Roy's plans once others return may be a different matter though.

Ian Hart 10-01-2020 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 15053121)
I think we probably underestimate the challenge of moving from the Dutch League

I don't know what it is about the Dutch League, but in recent years you could fill a book with players who built glossy reputations there, and then proved way out of their depth when they moved elsewhere. I can only assume the general standard is remarkably low, and you really have to improve your game when you move away.

Look at the records of the likes of Vincent Janssen and Ricky Van Wolfswinkel when they played in Holland, and compare it with their performances when they joined clubs in the Prem. The latter is a particularly illuminating case. He not only was a total failure at Norwich, but subsequently in France and Spain too; following which he returned to Holland - and started scoring at a rate of nearly a goal per game

Martin H 11-01-2020 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Hart (Post 15053473)
I don't know what it is about the Dutch League, but in recent years you could fill a book with players who built glossy reputations there, and then proved way out of their depth when they moved elsewhere. I can only assume the general standard is remarkably low, and you really have to improve your game when you move away.

Look at the records of the likes of Vincent Janssen and Ricky Van Wolfswinkel when they played in Holland, and compare it with their performances when they joined clubs in the Prem. The latter is a particularly illuminating case. He not only was a total failure at Norwich, but subsequently in France and Spain too; following which he returned to Holland - and started scoring at a rate of nearly a goal per game

I only know what I have picked up from pundits/articles but the ave age of players there is far lower than here. In part because as soon as they blossom they are whisked away to bigger foreign clubs. All developed the same way, high technical skill etc. Patterns, formations etc. But then they come up against the physicality, aggression and pace of the PL and itís like a train wreck for many. Especially if they go straight into the first team. Maybe itís no surprise really. And yet Ajax has done well in Europe. Need someone who watches it regularly to chip in. Beyond me.

cpfc4evandeva 11-01-2020 08:40 AM

He's not a left back at all and so often, he is caught out positionally. However, he has looked like a half decent footballer and if we ever get a fully fit squad, it will be interesting to see if he will be given more of a chance in the middle of the park.

Kai 11-01-2020 08:42 AM

I would like to see him given another shot in midfield. He actually passes the ball forward in a straight line.