CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Jairo Riedewald (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271278)

JackTheBiscuit 11-05-2018 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk (Post 14252496)
Overly impressed!? He was outstanding against the best team in the country. Seriously what is wrong with you lot

Coming from someone who said "Hodgson is a seriously shit appointment"

Nostrils 11-05-2018 07:13 AM

I don't know why anyone's surprised that he hasn't played that much since Hodgson came in. I don't think it has anything to do with his ability - Hodgson had already said at the beginning of his tenure that he needed experienced players to fight a relegation battle. Reidewald, being just 21 and coming from a much gentler league, playing in a new system in a position he's fairly new too was surely too much of a risk. He needed older, wiser experienced players that he knew were mentally strong enough for the task at hand.

There's a very good player in Jairo imo, and after a proper pre-season's training with less immediate pressure we will be in a better position to judge just how good he is. As far as I could see, his main fault was that he tended to dwell on the ball too long and lose a bit of focus at times. He probably would have got away with that in the Eredivisie, especially with the best players in it surrounding him. No such time in England though, but this is the sort of thing that can be easily coached, especially with the experience of Roy and Ray.

LuieJack 11-05-2018 07:24 AM

Unfortunately he was brought in mainly as a player suited to the way Frank de Boer era and the way he wanted to play, also coming from a club with the standing of Ajax made us all brimming with expectancy.
But the reality is under Roy Hodgson he has Not progressed, and in all honesty he has disappointed whenever chosen, maybe he just is NOT as good as we all had hoped for and needs to be moved on, also after nearly a whole season to have still not established himself is maybe telling us fans something that Roy has already realised.
Its a possibility he simply needs to go back to Dutch football which obviously suits his languid style better, a pity as i wanted to see him succeed at Palace.

Kai 11-05-2018 07:27 AM

I will be very surprised if he remains a Palace player but with all the other players leaving, keeping him on is probably the right thing to do.

No.16 11-05-2018 07:28 AM

If Joniesta played like he did versus City it would keep a small contingent on here frothing for another 2 years - see Wales vs Croatia...

I like what I've seen thus far.

CP-RJW 11-05-2018 07:47 AM

‘Disappointed whenever chosen?’ Can only recall four starts under Hodgson, an excellent performance vs Man City, a very good performance vs Burnley, and two average performances, vs Spurs and vs Brighton in the cup. He’s 21 years old, was brought in for 9 million (which is peanuts nowadays), and has had to deal with a new country, new league and the FDB debacle this season. Incredible that some are giving up on him already.

TWELLSEagle 11-05-2018 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuieJack (Post 14252532)
Unfortunately he was brought in mainly as a player suited to the way Frank de Boer era and the way he wanted to play, also coming from a club with the standing of Ajax made us all brimming with expectancy.
But the reality is under Roy Hodgson he has Not progressed, and in all honesty he has disappointed whenever chosen, maybe he just is NOT as good as we all had hoped for and needs to be moved on, also after nearly a whole season to have still not established himself is maybe telling us fans something that Roy has already realised.
Its a possibility he simply needs to go back to Dutch football which obviously suits his languid style better, a pity as i wanted to see him succeed at Palace.

Thatís not the reality though is it. The reality is he did progress a little under Hodgson but had limited game time. Jury still out

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o 11-05-2018 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostrils (Post 14252518)
I don't know why anyone's surprised that he hasn't played that much since Hodgson came in. I don't think it has anything to do with his ability - Hodgson had already said at the beginning of his tenure that he needed experienced players to fight a relegation battle. Reidewald, being just 21 and coming from a much gentler league, playing in a new system in a position he's fairly new too was surely too much of a risk. He needed older, wiser experienced players that he knew were mentally strong enough for the task at hand.

There's a very good player in Jairo imo, and after a proper pre-season's training with less immediate pressure we will be in a better position to judge just how good he is. As far as I could see, his main fault was that he tended to dwell on the ball too long and lose a bit of focus at times. He probably would have got away with that in the Eredivisie, especially with the best players in it surrounding him. No such time in England though, but this is the sort of thing that can be easily coached, especially with the experience of Roy and Ray.

Yep good post...I hope this is the case...'cos I think he's done very well when called upon, after the 'Uddderfield debacle that is.

cockles 11-05-2018 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWELLSEagle (Post 14252562)
Thatís not the reality though is it. The reality is he did progress a little under Hodgson but had limited game time. Jury still out

At last some balance in this thread. Some here act like he should be picked ahead of Cabaye or something.

He's just a wait and see player. Let our extremely experienced manager make the decision on when he plays or not.

Dave Hedgehog 11-05-2018 08:03 AM

Surprising how quickly Jairo has been written off by some. He's hardly played this season and has looked very tidy and assured whenever given time.

He's 21, cost very little, is on low wages, and can slot in anywhere across the back line or midfield. We'll need to keep hold of players like Jairo this summer, and he'll continue to develop under Roy.

wedgetail 11-05-2018 08:05 AM

He is not suitable for the role dB chose for him, I do see a however an acceptable midfielder, perhaps as a back up for Luka or an extra work horse when defending a lead. Not all the players in a squad can be first choice, if he were to be moved on we would need another squad player to replace him.

917L 11-05-2018 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Hedgehog (Post 14252573)
Surprising how quickly Jairo has been written off by some. He's hardly played this season and has looked very tidy and assured whenever given time.

He's 21, cost very little, is on low wages, and can slot in anywhere across the back line or midfield. We'll need to keep hold of players like Jairo this summer, and he'll continue to develop under Roy.

Err, he didn't cost very little at all, and you have no idea of his wages

Big Blue Eagle 11-05-2018 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Hedgehog (Post 14252573)

Not really surprising - the BBS can write off a player after a 5 minute end of game sub appearance....

Dave Hedgehog 11-05-2018 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 917L (Post 14252582)
Err, he didn't cost very little at all, and you have no idea of his wages

He cost £7.5m and is paid anywhere between £25-40k. Those are standard figures for a squad player in the top flight. And he has potential to improve, which would make that transfer fee look like a bargain.

It's grim that you're trying to write him off based on his association with de Boer when that's not the player's fault. He's hardly put a foot wrong when given the chance.

As somebody said above, not everybody needs to be first choice.

aj4england 11-05-2018 08:22 AM

Handy footballer, but not sure he, nor the staff know where his best position is.

Part of me thinks he would make a good Hayden Mullins like sweeper in a back 3.

Thefunkymonk 11-05-2018 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackTheBiscuit (Post 14252516)
Coming from someone who said "Hodgson is a seriously shit appointment"

I was wrong. I also actually suggested Roy before fdb but the manger merry go round fatigiengot to me. I was wrong, I was a twat.

But my point still stands

Tim 11-05-2018 08:30 AM

Love the job that Roy’s done this season but he’s quite rigid in his squad selection. It’s going to be tough for players like Riedewald & AWB to get games next season, especially if we strengthen in the Summer & Roy gets the chance to bring in the players that he wants..

If he doesn’t play then it’s tough to showcase his talent. That’s the quandary for all young players coming through..

Thefunkymonk 11-05-2018 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 917L (Post 14252502)
Probably the same 'fools' predicting Glenn Murray would do well this season, and would outscore Benteke, I recall the scorn you poured on that suggestion

And you state that he will turn into an excellent player, like its some kind of given

He's had one good game for us, but like TFM (who similarly had that one good game) neither are actually that good

I disagree with one good game. Ok muzza and Brighton did better then expected..

I think he will.. you are writing him off based on what? Every time heís played heís generally played well and in the case of the city (and Burnley) games very very well.

The writing him off this early is foolish, he is a good player based on his limited performances.. and potentially an excellent player.

Likewise you are writing him off like itís some sort of given heíll be shit.

winners 11-05-2018 08:33 AM

If he came from the youth team, as a 21 year old, and performed in the games he has played, the way he has, everyone would be excited....I think he needs to tone up, he seems a bit 'bulky' for a midfielder, but as a 21 year old, his body is still growing/changing, and I think it was mentioned, that he was left out of the squad earlier in the season for that reason.

ebyeeckeagle 11-05-2018 08:35 AM

He's 21? Some players are close to their peak at that age. The large majority though are nowhere near and have a lot to learn.

Shame to write such young players off. When did we stop giving players a little bit of time, particular those settling into a new country at such a difficult time? (Someone will now point out I have got the age wrong and this will look very stupid).